Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
https://www.hiveswap.com

http://store.steampowered.com/app/623940/HIVESWAP_Act_1/

whatPumpkin posted:

Monsters in the yard. Monsters in the house. Monsters in the hall, beating on your door. Your brother's trapped in his treehouse, so he isn't going to be much help. You're going to have to get yourself out of this. But where did they come from? How are you supposed to deal with this? Well, certainly not by cowering in your room. That's for, uh, cowards.

First thing's first. You need to open the door.

HIVESWAP: ACT 1. Coming September 14, 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAEs-NlcRtU

After over 5 years and 2.5 Million Dollars, it has an official release date!

HIVESWAP: ACT 1 PART 1 is a game that was Kickstarted in 2012 with over 2.5 Million Dollars, written by Andrew Hussie Ryan North Some guy from Twitter. While it has been plagued with numerous delays, stylistic changes, and a complete lack of communication from the design team, set to release in 2013 2014 2015 January 2017 A few weeks after January 2017, once bugtesting is complete September 14, 2017. The game itself is apparently styled after classic point-and-click adventure games of days past, such as Monkey Island, Grim Fandango and Sam & Max.

Why should I care?

Homestuck, since the very beginning, has had some quirky dialogue and creative and funny inspiration drawn from gags based around inventory management, adventure game tropes, and the existential horror of living in a constant state where your self-worth is reflected by how many levels you can gain in the insane, life-eradicating game that is Sburb. Insofar as we know, HIVESWAP ACT 1 PART 1 has very little to do with Homestuck itself, merely being based in the same universe. MSPaint Adventures, and it's author, Andrew Hussie, is known for a quirky style of humor, often based around subverting expectations and creative use of in-universe game mechanics, and the lack of logic that is created when these mechanics are applied to normal, everyday scenarios.

The revamped art design has some incredibly detailed and gorgeous still images as backgrounds.

Toby Fox, of Undertale fame, is also designing some of the music for HIVESWAP ACT 1 PART 1.

Why should I not care?
  • Homestuck has an incredibly bad reputation, and the ending to the seven-year-long series was received about as poorly as the ending to Mass Effect 3.
  • The fans (Myself included) tend to be idiot assholes.
  • Andrew Hussie and Ryan North have long since washed their hands of this project.
  • The writer and creative designer has no folio of work to show.
  • A significant chunk of the funding was allegedly stolen by The Odd Gentlemen.
  • The best character, Aranea Serket, will likely not be appearing.
  • The launch trailer, released roughly a month before the game is scheduled to drop, contains the most amount of gameplay we have seen. This is still less than 1 whole minute of gameplay.
  • Going above 5 FPS in the animations might completely break the game.
  • This is the first part of 8 parts. 8!!!!!!!!

Should I invest in this game?

Maybe? We still know shockingly little about it. The design so far seems similar to the early comic mantra of 'Kids and Fun', widely regarded by the fanbase to be the 'best' part of the comic. However, the game has been so plagued by uncertainty, redesigns and mystery that any attempt to pin down or assess it is an exercise in near futility. HIVESWAP ACT 1 PART 1 will be releasing for $7.99 USD on Steam. I suggest you wait until reviews start appearing before investing.

Will the release be funny?

Oh, absolutely. Even if the game turns out to be a masterpiece of design and comedy, there is still a very vocal and bitter segment of the fanbase (Like myself) that will melt down. Likewise, if the game turns out to be a garbage fire, expect Andromeda levels of backlash, and pointing and laughing at idiots who spent over $250 USD backing this (Also myself).

I sincerely hope the game is good, but my expectations are low.

I know nothing about Homestuck, what is this?

Before Steven Universe, before My Little Pony, there was Homestuck. Initially, much like it's predecessor comic, Problem Sleuth, Homestuck was about amusing character interactions and interesting ways game mechanics interacted with characters, set in the trappings of creation mythology. Like most quirky, animated comedies dealing with teenagers, the fanbase quickly exploded, and during the heyday of the comic, you could not post on a website without seeing some orange-horned alien as every other avatar. As per normal, this created a backlash as the fans acted in completely obnoxious ways (myself included), hyping up something that was pretty good into the, as one author put it, 'Ulysses of the Internet'.

Likely to capitalize on this popularity, the focus of the comic shifted away from adventure game gags and inventory mismanagement-based clown mutilation to teenage interaction and romance. If you think this is a good change is entirely at your discretion. If you have not read it, and feel the sudden desire to, I highly recommend once you reach a flash animation entitled Cascade, you watch it and walk away from the computer imagining that the adventure continues in any way you like!

To give you an idea of how popular Homestuck was, when the CASCADE animation was released, it had to be hosted on Newgrounds due to sheer volume of visitors - It them promptly broke Newgrounds from sheer weight of views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mldr4sSV4s

nb: This is from the comic, not the game.

On that note, we now wait. Will the game be delayed once more? Will it be good? Will we have more info that what we have? Maybe. Regardless, this is the place to discuss the upcoming video game, HIVESWAP: ACT 1: PART 1 OF 8.

RandallODim posted:

Close the thread, there's nowhere to go from here

e: why isn't this the header image for the games thread yet

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

. If you have not read it, and feel the sudden desire to, I highly recommend once you reach a flash animation entitled Cascade, you watch it and walk away from the computer imagining that the adventure continues in any way you like! where a kid pulls video games off his shelf, you click on the 'Problem Sleuth' one and just read that instead

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a lot of anger

There's a lot of unironic anger

This is a good thing

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

quote:

Going above 5 FPS in the animations might completely break the game.
Whoa! Where'd you hear this? (I like hidden-puzzle games, so maybe I'll just treat it as an HP game with bonus moving stuff.)

e: Clawtopsy, might as well make Cascade a link.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Imagine a world where Hiveswap Episode 1 comes out and is actually just a garbage fire Sweet Bro And Hella Jeff metacommentary on Hiveswap's own collapse. Then realize that would be better than whatever we will get.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Whoa! Where'd you hear this? (I like hidden-puzzle games, so maybe I'll just treat it as an HP game with bonus moving stuff.)

e: Clawtopsy, might as well make Cascade a link.

It was a gag based on the poor framerate of the animation. The depressing part is it is completely believable.

I'll edit in the Newgrounds-breaking animation now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKfP9N28buk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE0_eNIJuE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L_gOBfGl2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A53AHe7yORg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8HOWTja_s

There.

That is Homestuck. That is all you need and all you should ever know

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

please note, thread readers, none of this is actually in Homestuck.

Cascade has been added to the explanation, along with the context of what it did to Newgrounds.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Clawtopsy posted:

a complete lack of communication from the design team

This cannot be stated enough. Compared to a lot of other Kickstarter projects, the development transparency of this one has been abysmal. Backers should honestly be more mad about this, maybe they are, I have no idea. Maybe everyone has given up. Maybe everyone gave up long ago.

Clawtopsy posted:

The best character, Aranea Serket

voted 1

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Color Printer posted:

This cannot be stated enough. Compared to a lot of other Kickstarter projects, the development transparency of this one has been abysmal. Backers should honestly be more mad about this, maybe they are, I have no idea. Maybe everyone has given up. Maybe everyone gave up long ago.

It is the biggest concerning factor about this whole project, much like how when movies put a review embargo in place. If there were an indicator this will be a Bad Game, this is it.

fair.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If you're a Homestuck fan, don't buy this because well, beyond Homestuck being poo poo it has zero creative input or control from the Huss, and considering that the main writer is literally some Twitter rando with no portfolio I have zero faith it won't be obvious, terribly written Hussie aping. Also it looks really terrible.

If you're not a Homestuck fan, don't buy this because its based entirely around Homestuck and I guarantee that it will be an impenetrable mess of references and systems, with I assume multiple puzzle solutions being based around Homestuck - I am willing to bet a large amount of money you will open a chest with arms, for instance.

I literally do not know who this is being marketed to. Its just enough of a Homestuck reference to be impenetrable to casual players but not enough to appeal to fans. You are literally watching peoples fan characters play in another universe. Its like if they made an officially licensed Dragon Ball Z game populated solely by peoples fan Saiyans from Budokai 1 and 2. This game appeals to nobody.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Everyone's expecting this to be Amateur Hour at the Fanfic Factory, and it probably will be

I hope it's actually good though!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

thanks alot assbag posted:

Everyone's expecting this to be Amateur Hour at the Fanfic Factory, and it probably will be

I hope it's actually good though!

I would either like the game to be amazingly good, or hilariously bad.

I feel it will be a bland middleground, the worst outcome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I was already in despair that they were steadfastly sticking to 4 parts and now they want to do 8?

I don't understand anything

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What's Hussie been doing then

Guy was king of the internet for like a day and a half, where's he gone

Motherfucker make Problem Sleuth 2

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

No one knows! A running theory is that he is Chuck Tingle.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I feel a twisted sense of pride that I did not have any money to throw at the Homestuck kickstarter when it was running. I would have done it, but I was broke and thus spared.

Then I feel a typical sense of shame that I fell for Mighty No. 9 in its stead. :negative: Gotta learn that lesson somewhere.

Regy Rusty posted:

I was already in despair that they were steadfastly sticking to 4 parts and now they want to do 8?

I don't understand anything

Supposedly it's not an 8-part game, but rather 2 games in 4 parts each, that can be played in either order. Kind of like Legend of Zelda Oracles of Ages/Seasons, except not released simultaneously so there's no way to tell if the followup parts will ever come to exist.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
This game is such an incomprehensibly bad idea on all accounts that it probably would have been less of a mistake to just give everyone who backed this a copy of king's quest and a sorry note

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
:shittydog: game bad so what :shittydog:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

living his dream, marrying lesbians

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

The animators that did these are both on the dev team, as is the artist who did on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POIyGamReZ8

Also it's been known that this game was 8 parts long for years now some of these folks just have the memory span of mayflies which is kind of ironic for people who read all million+ words of this comic, in some cases several times.

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?

Spinning Robo posted:

This game is such an incomprehensibly bad idea on all accounts that it probably would have been less of a mistake to just give everyone who backed this a copy of king's quest and a sorry note

i think everyone would appreciate finally having a copy of the game they funded :laugh:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Plom Bar posted:

The animators that did these are both on the dev team, as is the artist who did on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POIyGamReZ8

Also it's been known that this game was 8 parts long for years now some of these folks just have the memory span of mayflies which is kind of ironic for people who read all million+ words of this comic, in some cases several times.

I feel like it's more that it still seems just as absurd as ever, and seems overly ambitious especially with how little detail we have about the development.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I bet if I had a time machine and could show this to me five years ago then past me would be pretty loving excited.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

When did Hussie stop being involved with this? I thought the increasingly long breaks Homestuck had to take were due to him trying to salvage the game - did he just throw his hands up at some point?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Gato posted:

When did Hussie stop being involved with this? I thought the increasingly long breaks Homestuck had to take were due to him trying to salvage the game - did he just throw his hands up at some point?

With both middle fingers raised, presumably.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Gato posted:

Sadly, we just don't know. Due to the aforementioned lack of transparency, I believe the ultimate reveal that the Head Writer and Lead Creative Designer was some twitter random was from a reddit post. Said writer has no folio of work, and his claim to fame is 'is friends with Andrew Hussie and Zoe Quinn IRL'. He made an attempt at writing some 'post canon content' which was pretty poorly received for largely being the writing equivalent of coming home to find strangers wearing your parent's skin, and poorly pretending to be said parents.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Clawtopsy posted:

Sadly, we just don't know. Due to the aforementioned lack of transparency, I believe the ultimate reveal that the Head Writer and Lead Creative Designer was some twitter random was from a reddit post. Said writer has no folio of work, and his claim to fame is 'is friends with Andrew Hussie and Zoe Quinn IRL'. He made an attempt at writing some 'post canon content' which was pretty poorly received for largely being the writing equivalent of coming home to find strangers wearing your parent's skin, and poorly pretending to be said parents.

Post-canon content released exclusively through Snapchat, the well known webcomic reading app, with the site itself getting no updates for when that content dropped.

Hey, did you know that the second Paradox Space book is out? You wouldn't if you went to the Paradox Space site, which also hasn't been updated in months.

I believe the most we've gotten is Tumblr posts with interviews from the game development team, notably not saying anything about what the actual game is.

I haven't checked the official forums in ages and at this point I'm kinda afraid to.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Post-canon content released exclusively through Snapchat, the well known webcomic reading app, with the site itself getting no updates for when that content dropped.

Hey, did you know that the second Paradox Space book is out? You wouldn't if you went to the Paradox Space site, which also hasn't been updated in months.

I believe the most we've gotten is Tumblr posts with interviews from the game development team, notably not saying anything about what the actual game is.

I haven't checked the official forums in ages and at this point I'm kinda afraid to.

The official forums were closed just before the Act 7 Finale was released. They were not reopened when it was.

This indicates faith in the conclusion.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Haven't read Homestuck is four(?) years but super excited for this. It's look really cute and if it's got that classic Hussie comedy style then you know it's going to be worth picking up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DoubleCakes posted:

Haven't read Homestuck is four(?) years but super excited for this. It's look really cute and if it's got that classic Hussie comedy style then you know it's going to be worth picking up.

he has literally no involvement in the production of this. None. Zero. None whatsoever

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

he has literally no involvement in the production of this. None. Zero. None whatsoever

that's disingenuous; yeah the head writer is John Twitterman but obviously hussie had a lot to do with the overall planning of it (he said as much)

not to suggest that's any kind of indicator of quality, but it isn't like it's 100% a fangame or whatever

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

that's disingenuous; yeah the head writer is John Twitterman but obviously hussie had a lot to do with the overall planning of it (he said as much)

not to suggest that's any kind of indicator of quality, but it isn't like it's 100% a fangame or whatever

It's part of the problem with the complete lack of communication from what pumpkin studios, and the even more damning radio silence from Hussie. IIRC, Cohen stated that he had written and designed nearly everything, and Hussie just rubber stamped it.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 30, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Clawtopsy posted:

The official forums were closed just before the Act 7 Finale was released. They were not reopened when it was.
This indicates faith in the conclusion.
The story at the time was that the forums got irretrievably hacked, so it went from "maintaining something that existed" to "setting something up from scratch", with the latter being a much bigger investment in time and $$$.

:shrug:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Clawtopsy posted:

It's part of the problem with the complete lack of communication from what pumpkin studios, and the even more damning radio silence from Hussie. IIRC, Cohen stated that he had written and designed nearly everything, and Hussie just rubber stamped it.

i didn't see cohen say that but if he did then welp lol

this is absolutely going to be a trainwreck, but it's a trainwreck i invested $350 in so i can't wait to be disappointed

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think it is likely to be a pretty good adventure game with nice art and music. I don't know why you would expect either more or less than that, really.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Android Blues posted:

I think it is likely to be a pretty good adventure game with nice art and music. I don't know why you would expect either more or less than that, really.

well, firstly, I've seen the animation, and it looks terrible and cheap, so the whole nice art thing has already been disproved

Secondly it's a four to five years late video game kickstarter product based off a literal fanfiction version of the source material,which itself was pretty loving terrible by the end of its run, written and directed by a smug rear end in a top hat no-name with no direct involvement by the source material's creator and who has no video game experience in any form who treats questions like "when's the game coming out stop tweeting about bullshit and actually have some accountability for the product you're in charge of" as a personal insult, that went through at least one complete engine change during development, with the original developers who actually had experience making games literally running off with most to all of the original funds and spending the money, Gearbox-like, developing a completely differentganes behind the scenes, with the finished product having literal seconds of gameplay shown during the entire development process as it has missed virtually every single release date it has promised as nobody at the development studio has communicated specifically about the games status or completion for literal years at this point, as the game is promised to be part one of four despite the game almost certainly selling unbelievably poorly to the point where any followup games will almost certainly be cancelled leaving a completely unfinished quarter of a game with no satisfying narrative conclusions its only legacy.

A tougher question to answer is, what do you think will make this game good, besides Toby Fox doing the music for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

i didn't see cohen say that but if he did then welp lol

this is absolutely going to be a trainwreck, but it's a trainwreck i invested $350 in so i can't wait to be disappointed

Yeah iirc cohen was trying to set up his involvement with this game as him being in control of virtually every aspect of its development.he really, really transparently wants to be Scott Benson and this is his "opus", except it's a literal quarter of a game and he has no real skills outside of writing and it's a loving Homestuck fangame, lol, over...you know...Night in the loving Woods

• Locked thread