Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What's Hussie been doing then

Guy was king of the internet for like a day and a half, where's he gone

Motherfucker make Problem Sleuth 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Like, if you're gonna make a Homestuck game, the best option would be just to do a 16-bit style Zeboyd like turn-based game with incredibly convoluted mechanics and stats for the most inane nonsense. Have it take place during the Trolls' game, have that form the basic framework, but since we know how that ends have it halfway through be revealed to be a fanfiction one of the kids is coding in their spare time. Start messing up canon, altering events, have it end with a big meta threat (Lord English is IN THE GAME) and have a final boss like Undertale's, with an anticlimax ending where, I dunno, the game crashes and the game developer is Hussie and he flips a table and walks away with all your money.

That's what I wanted. Hell make the game have a genuinely robust crafting system like what you get in the gently caress It, Let's Be Santa bits.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't really know Homestuck, but I'm curious, why did people hate the ending so much? Just because it's impossible to end a long running series like that in a way that pleases people?

I think the ending is quite good and fine.

The problem is that for three years leading up to the ending, the plot started and restarted a number of times to introduce a massive amount of completely pointless characters and character threads that just dragged an already dragged-out story waaaaaay longer. I just stopped reading around the time everyone got into a boat to go someplace, and I checked in every once in awhile and it was like, there's a dozen more trolls and there's dead trolls and ghost trolls and every single page has 40,000 words

The vibe is so cool and neat for the first two years or so. The plot sort of shudders when the trolls get introduced and you have to go through 12 loving introduction sequences and learn all about these off-brand Klingons and it doesn't really seem to go anywhere and it takes away the momentum from the adventures of the kids we already liked and there was no music or animated bits for ages.

It's still a great example of a piece of media that could only exist online, but Problem Sleuth maintained the "user-generated" sense and managed to wrap itself up in a really satisfying way.

I guess the reason I want an RPG rather than an adventure game is that my favorite part of Homestuck and Problem Sleuth are/were the completely absurd battle sequences where characters power up with pumpkins which rot over successive turns.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Everybody died horribly.

John Egbert literally retconed the whole comic to make it so everybody doesn't die horribly.

why did anyone want the whole cast to die horribly?

Why did people like Vriska she's an unrepentant murderous rear end in a top hat and I waited way too long to see her loving die.

The ending Homestuck got was the ending I thought was obviously what it was going to get -- a lot of nonsensical flash and bang and a new world is made. Expecting it to end as a tragedy flies in the face of the whole premise.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is the retcon in question the thing where Terezi is guiding John to do a bunch of cryptic things towards the end? See, I was honestly alright with all that, because Act 6 had sucked all that time due to the aforementioned "poo poo is drawn out too long and there are way too many characters" so maybe I just stopped paying attention and was sort of pleased that somebody else was as annoyed by the lack of conclusions as I was.

I guess if you were invested in that last period of years then maybe it'd be really frustrating but I just wanted to see the story begun with four kids and some weird online trolls actually conclude and it seemed like Egbert was on the same page in that regard.

• Locked thread