Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Jose gets to fiddling with the security terminal next to the large bay door, and thankfully, it uses a standard keypad entry lock. A quick check of the pad lets the scout see the key pads that are most worn, and it takes just a few minutes of brute force guessing on those few keys to get the door to give up green light showing an access granted. The door slowly opens, with the squad taking up positions around the slowly opening door, though they were not quite prepared for what is on the other side of the door.

The space is completely open on the inside and set out rather efficiently. The center of the building is taken up by a huge cogitator bank extending to the ceiling, with two plasma generators in the far corners. It would seem like a fairly standard set up and a waste of space, were it not for the several dozen people melded into some sort of technological nightmare.

Rows upon rows of people line the inside of the building. Each one is hooked up to various machines. Most of them are no more than torsos and heads attached to some sort of machinery, cabling and wires extending from their heads up to the ceiling where they are neatly braided into conduits heading to the central cogitator. Most of the "people" are moaning, filling the room with the sound of the wounded on the battlefield. Every so often one of the poor souls can be heard mumbling something which appears to be gibberish, typically just a bunch of numbers. Scattered throughout the rows of the damned are servitors; they seem to be unarmed medical servitors, jabbing the imprisoned with needles and checking various tubes providing nutrients and removing waste.

A ladder near the back leads up to a hatch on the roof, if the squad wanted to get up to the roof.

Okay, so if it wasn't for the fact I just had all of you make me willpower tests, I would have you do so yet again for this stuff. So you can:

1. Go over to the computer console. Will require a -20 tech use test for anyone who wants to use it.
2. Plant explosives on the plasma generators
3. use the ladder to go up to the roof and mess with the comms dish.
4. Poke around with the poor saps stuck in this nightmare contraption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Josephina

"Oh, dear God-Emperor..."

The sights here are somehow both better and worse than those twisted posters outside. They were somehow off, but this... this is just plain mundane horror, as if that makes it any better. And the smell. The rank stench of unwashed bodies and the aroma of decay. Who the hell were these people? The last dregs of the loyalists who wouldn't knuckle under to the new regime, most likely. Poor bastards, the lot of them.

"I'm gonna... I'll check the console..."

Tech-Use vs 41: 1d100 42 :|

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Linara and Ordo continue watching the roads leading down the mountain and the surrounding area for signs that their location here is known.

If someone can give you an assist that will still work, I think someone else has tech-use

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Sergeant Hammond Tucker

"Put your back into it with that console, Josephina."

The Sergeant's heart clearly isn't in it. This was much, much worse than they'd believed. Not just recidivists and mutants; there was something much worse at the core of this. The pain from taking an Ogryn club to the chest didn't help his mood either.

"Lyhte, take a look at my ribs while we wait, if you please."

Inspire vs 61: 78

and nobody else has tech-use so that's a big ol' nope on that console. Let's just torch this place I can't read I guess? Also curly medic it up for the love of god.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at Nov 25, 2017 around 21:34

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Abe Martinek

Limping up behind their stealther, Abe just ignores the usual non-com noise. "Look, this is obviously a heretical as poo poo non-standard pattern but it's still built on an Imperial skeleton. Just do it like the Magos taught you. You gotta come at it through the maintenance firmware, they never change that..."

I have tech-use 69 (nice) so that test by Josephina was a pass via my assistance.

also fix my loving leg

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Salvus Weber

As the squad steps inside the complex, and sees the heretechnological abomination within, Salvus makes the sign of the Aquila and mutters a prayer.

"Imperatoris conserva nos... I think Command are going to want to see this."

As the rest of the squad busy themselves accessing the control panel, or treating injuries from the last skirmish, Salvus wanders over to one of the rows of human cogitators, for a closer examination.

Sorry for the slow reply, exams have snuck up on me.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd

Jayne Canton

"What the feth..."

Jayne stares in horror at the display in front of her, walks up to the closest one and prods it lightly with the still warm barrel of her hellgun.

"Emperor Above, are they still alive? What for?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Jose, with Abe's help manages to get root access. Abe is certainly correct when he indicates it is a heretical non-standard pattern, seeing as the Imperium typically does not build machines to chain people to alive. While neither of them can make heads or tails out of what entirely is going on, it appears that the cogitator is certainly sending and receiving data between all of the "people" attached to the nightmarish device.

However, once root access is achieved, various options are presented for the drop troopers to take advantage of. With a key press they could deactivate the communications array on the top of the building. They could also just as easily deactivate the cogitator system as well. They also have access to the ability to deactivate the power generators, or, if they wanted to level the top of the foothill, set the plasma generators to detonate. Also interestingly enough, there is an option to deactivate the life support systems to each of the people hooked up to the machine, each lovingly called "nodes".

Nothing in their mission said anything about keeping the facility intact, but since they went through the trouble, they certainly could leave it in one piece for Imperial forces to study. Obviously destroying the generators or deactivating life support will kill the poor souls attached to the machine, but it also stands to basic logic and reason that the plasma generators provide power to life support and the cogitator manages the life support. Turning off either of those would likely lead to the death of the "nodes" as well.

okay. Basically decide if you want to blow the place up. Deactivate it and keep it intact and the poor meat sacks alive, or keep it intact and kill the meatsacks.

And for the love of god Curly, do some first aid for poo poo sakes. Let someone else wax their nob while they are on lookout duty, you've got one teammate in crits.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Sergeant Hammond Tucker

"As badly as I want to overload those plasma generators and turn this mountain into a plateau, I think Imperial Command needs to see this, intact. This isn't just a rebellion. The heresy here runs much deeper, and I'm not sure mere words can do this justice."

Voting we just turn off the tower and let somebody else clean up this mess.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Once the order comes up Linara will pull back from sentry duty and begin treating the wounded. She starts with Tucker, but she can't do too much for a massive, gaping chest wound from an angry Ogryn.

Abe for his part gets a new splint on his leg, that should take most of the limp out of his step for now. Tandem also gets some basic treatment, but he's not doing so hot.

Tucker First Aid Roll:
Medicae (TN 41 + 20 + 20) = 81: 1d100 88
No healing for you.

Abe First Aid Roll:
Medicae Abe (TN 41 + 20 + 20 - 30) = 51: 1d100 37 2 degrees of success
Abe heals 4 + 2 = 6 points of wounds, removing crit first.

Oh right Tandem first aid roll
Medicae Abe (TN 41 + 20 + 20 - 10) = 71: 1d100 70
He'll be healed in 6 days.

Is there anyone else?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Josephina

"You mean, just leave them like this? This is sick. Let them have peace."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Sergeant Hammond Tucker

"Oh, they'll have their peace soon enough one way or the other. But if we can learn exactly what they are doing to them first, we could save countless lives. 'There is no sin in cruelty, only in its senseless application.' Inquisitor Tyrus's memoirs. But..."

Tucker stands up with a grunt, favoring his bruised ribs.

"I'm no CO, handing down inflexible decrees from behind base walls. I work for a living. You're the best of the best, Razorbeak, not some gaggle of fresh recruits who don't know their lasguns from their stablights. I trust your judgement on this. If I'm outvoted, we'll put them down."

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Salvus Weber

"It's every human's duty to give all they have in service to the Emperor - mind, body, and soul. Kill them now, and their deaths will only serve His enemies. Living, and giving our our adepts the chance to study this facility, is the last service they can offer the Emperor in this life. We shouldn't deprive them of that."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Deciding to leave this one for the Military Intelligence and Mechanicus types, it takes only a few clicks of a keyboard to deactivate the communications equipment on the roof while maintaining the rest of the "system". With their mission completed, the squad hurries out of the building as quickly as they can. A quick assessment of the situation leaves the group to figure that it'd be a quicker pick-up if they cleared away some of the camp for the Osprey Valkyrie to land as opposed to hoofing it to the clearing south of, and a long march down switchback of, the facility. As the group gets to clearing away tents, bodies, and cook fires, the unmistakable boom of the sound barrier can be heard, followed by distant, almost imperceptible explosions. As indicated, it appears that the heavy aerial bombardment began right after the signal went down.

About half an hour later a large enough clearing has been pushed aside for the Valkyrie, and Sergeant Tucker activates the infrared beacon to bring in the Osprey. Within a few minutes, the Black Feather makes a low pass of the compound and zooms out of sight. A minute later it comes back around and slows down ready to make a VTOL landing. One of the side doors is open and Mercedes waves at the squad from behind the door mounted Heavy Bolter, before going back to scanning the horizon. The back hatch begins to lower as the Valkyrie does, and as soon as the last of the squad is in, Hendricks takes off, the back ramp closing as the bird ascends.

Mercedes pulls in the turret and closes the door. Inside the ship the sounds of various radio chatter comes in through the speakers. Most of it is the standard radio chatter of men at war. Bomber wings confirming bombs away on target, ground forces providing updates on engagement is grid sectors. As the squad buckles into their harnesses, one particular exchange seems to come over the speakers.

Male Voice: "This is the 23rd Mech Cav. We've encountered an unmarked bunker. Taking heavy fire from some sort of plasma weaponry. Request Air support at these grid coordinates."

Female Voice a few minutes later: "Bomber wing Sigma engaging at indicated coordinates."

Male Voice: "Sigma, this is the 23rd, that bomber strike did nothing but kick up dust, we're getting slaughtered out here!"

Female voice: "23rd, those bombs were rated to penetrate solid rock. If it did nothing, then they must have fortified under the rock. We'd have to go back to base to get more munitions."

Male Voice: "Don't you have anything bigger? I'm nearing 50% Chimera losses!"

Male Voice 2: "23rd, we have some Krieg forces on the way but they're foot slogging. ETA 45 minutes."

Male Voice: "I don't think we have 45 minutes!"

Mercedes steps into the cockpit to speak to Hendricks, and shortly afterwards the Black Feather makes a slight correction. Mercedes comes back out and opens the side door, motioning the Sarge and anyone else to step up. Out the side door the sights of battle can be seen. For the most part it seems that the attack is doing well, and Imperial forces are making their way over craters marking where enemy defense formations once stood among the foothills and occasional rocky crags. The Osprey begins to circle around one part of the battlefield like a vulture seeking out carrion. A large number of smoking husks of Chimeras can be seen, but there is no sign of the source of the attack. However, after half a minute, a barrage of blue plasma bolts erupts from a good sized rocky outcropping, melting two Chimeras and the crew inside with ease. The weapons must have been recessed into the rock face, making them impossible to spot.

Hendricks circles around the out cropping a few times, and then Mercedes points to the back side, where a smallish access door can be seen, along with two gun ports. "Look, we can land you a little north of the outcropping. You could approach using the terrain for cover. Cracking that door will be tough, but once inside, you could, you know..." Mercedes says with a pleading look.

Hendricks looks back from the cockpit. "Look, I'm getting close to point of no return. You did your mission, ain't no one ordering us to do this. You're airborn. You went behind lines, did your work, now its the ground pounder's job." Mercedes gives him a look. Hendricks shrugs, "Look, I can drop you off, but then this bird has to get back to base and re-fuel. You'll be on your own, which I know is the usual."

War never changes, and the fog of war always hides stuff. You're being presented with an opportunity to be heroes. I'm going to say things like fate points and ammo only refresh when you get back to base, so you're in whatever shape the last mission left you. It's ultimately up to the squad. Your job is done. There won't be negative repercussions if you decide to head back to base.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Sergeant Hammond Tucker

Trying not to let the pain in his ribs creep into his voice, Tucker jumps onto the squad vox.

"You know, a great man once said, 'You miss 100% of the heretics you don't shoot.' What do you say, Razorbeak? The night is young, the war is fresh, and my blood is still up. Shall we head down there and save the day twice for good measure?"

LET'S DO IT OORAH OORAH

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

"Can we try to get one of the bombers to do another run? Even if it just kicks up dust, all the better to hide our attack."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd

Jayne Canton

Jayne looks grimly down at the battlefield, and nods in unison with Roland.

"Ready, Sarge! Let's go put the fear of the Emperor into those heretic scum!"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Abe Martinek

Abe sighs and gets off his rear end. "Sarge, I'm game if you are. But Tandem and I are both pretty beat up, and I'm down to one demo charge. It's your call, but if we do a drat thing I'd like it to be stepping out of this bird right up at that wall and blasting our way in."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Josephina

"One demo charge in the right place is all we need. They need us down there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Salvus Weber

"I think we're just about unanimous, then. Let's go."

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at Dec 12, 2017 around 18:33

«3 »