Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Jose gets to fiddling with the security terminal next to the large bay door, and thankfully, it uses a standard keypad entry lock. A quick check of the pad lets the scout see the key pads that are most worn, and it takes just a few minutes of brute force guessing on those few keys to get the door to give up green light showing an access granted. The door slowly opens, with the squad taking up positions around the slowly opening door, though they were not quite prepared for what is on the other side of the door.

The space is completely open on the inside and set out rather efficiently. The center of the building is taken up by a huge cogitator bank extending to the ceiling, with two plasma generators in the far corners. It would seem like a fairly standard set up and a waste of space, were it not for the several dozen people melded into some sort of technological nightmare.

Rows upon rows of people line the inside of the building. Each one is hooked up to various machines. Most of them are no more than torsos and heads attached to some sort of machinery, cabling and wires extending from their heads up to the ceiling where they are neatly braided into conduits heading to the central cogitator. Most of the "people" are moaning, filling the room with the sound of the wounded on the battlefield. Every so often one of the poor souls can be heard mumbling something which appears to be gibberish, typically just a bunch of numbers. Scattered throughout the rows of the damned are servitors; they seem to be unarmed medical servitors, jabbing the imprisoned with needles and checking various tubes providing nutrients and removing waste.

A ladder near the back leads up to a hatch on the roof, if the squad wanted to get up to the roof.

Okay, so if it wasn't for the fact I just had all of you make me willpower tests, I would have you do so yet again for this stuff. So you can:

1. Go over to the computer console. Will require a -20 tech use test for anyone who wants to use it.
2. Plant explosives on the plasma generators
3. use the ladder to go up to the roof and mess with the comms dish.
4. Poke around with the poor saps stuck in this nightmare contraption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Josephina

"Oh, dear God-Emperor..."

The sights here are somehow both better and worse than those twisted posters outside. They were somehow off, but this... this is just plain mundane horror, as if that makes it any better. And the smell. The rank stench of unwashed bodies and the aroma of decay. Who the hell were these people? The last dregs of the loyalists who wouldn't knuckle under to the new regime, most likely. Poor bastards, the lot of them.

"I'm gonna... I'll check the console..."

Tech-Use vs 41: 1d100 42 :|

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Linara Lyhte

Linara and Ordo continue watching the roads leading down the mountain and the surrounding area for signs that their location here is known.

If someone can give you an assist that will still work, I think someone else has tech-use

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Sergeant Hammond Tucker

"Put your back into it with that console, Josephina."

The Sergeant's heart clearly isn't in it. This was much, much worse than they'd believed. Not just recidivists and mutants; there was something much worse at the core of this. The pain from taking an Ogryn club to the chest didn't help his mood either.

"Lyhte, take a look at my ribs while we wait, if you please."

Inspire vs 61: 78

and nobody else has tech-use so that's a big ol' nope on that console. Let's just torch this place I can't read I guess? Also curly medic it up for the love of god.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 25, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Abe Martinek

Limping up behind their stealther, Abe just ignores the usual non-com noise. "Look, this is obviously a heretical as poo poo non-standard pattern but it's still built on an Imperial skeleton. Just do it like the Magos taught you. You gotta come at it through the maintenance firmware, they never change that..."

I have tech-use 69 (nice) so that test by Josephina was a pass via my assistance.

also fix my loving leg

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Salvus Weber

As the squad steps inside the complex, and sees the heretechnological abomination within, Salvus makes the sign of the Aquila and mutters a prayer.

"Imperatoris conserva nos... I think Command are going to want to see this."

As the rest of the squad busy themselves accessing the control panel, or treating injuries from the last skirmish, Salvus wanders over to one of the rows of human cogitators, for a closer examination.

Sorry for the slow reply, exams have snuck up on me.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Jayne Canton

"What the feth..."

Jayne stares in horror at the display in front of her, walks up to the closest one and prods it lightly with the still warm barrel of her hellgun.

"Emperor Above, are they still alive? What for?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Jose, with Abe's help manages to get root access. Abe is certainly correct when he indicates it is a heretical non-standard pattern, seeing as the Imperium typically does not build machines to chain people to alive. While neither of them can make heads or tails out of what entirely is going on, it appears that the cogitator is certainly sending and receiving data between all of the "people" attached to the nightmarish device.

However, once root access is achieved, various options are presented for the drop troopers to take advantage of. With a key press they could deactivate the communications array on the top of the building. They could also just as easily deactivate the cogitator system as well. They also have access to the ability to deactivate the power generators, or, if they wanted to level the top of the foothill, set the plasma generators to detonate. Also interestingly enough, there is an option to deactivate the life support systems to each of the people hooked up to the machine, each lovingly called "nodes".

Nothing in their mission said anything about keeping the facility intact, but since they went through the trouble, they certainly could leave it in one piece for Imperial forces to study. Obviously destroying the generators or deactivating life support will kill the poor souls attached to the machine, but it also stands to basic logic and reason that the plasma generators provide power to life support and the cogitator manages the life support. Turning off either of those would likely lead to the death of the "nodes" as well.

okay. Basically decide if you want to blow the place up. Deactivate it and keep it intact and the poor meat sacks alive, or keep it intact and kill the meatsacks.

And for the love of god Curly, do some first aid for poo poo sakes. Let someone else wax their nob while they are on lookout duty, you've got one teammate in crits.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Sergeant Hammond Tucker

"As badly as I want to overload those plasma generators and turn this mountain into a plateau, I think Imperial Command needs to see this, intact. This isn't just a rebellion. The heresy here runs much deeper, and I'm not sure mere words can do this justice."

Voting we just turn off the tower and let somebody else clean up this mess.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Once the order comes up Linara will pull back from sentry duty and begin treating the wounded. She starts with Tucker, but she can't do too much for a massive, gaping chest wound from an angry Ogryn.

Abe for his part gets a new splint on his leg, that should take most of the limp out of his step for now. Tandem also gets some basic treatment, but he's not doing so hot.

Tucker First Aid Roll:
Medicae (TN 41 + 20 + 20) = 81: 1d100 88
No healing for you.

Abe First Aid Roll:
Medicae Abe (TN 41 + 20 + 20 - 30) = 51: 1d100 37 2 degrees of success
Abe heals 4 + 2 = 6 points of wounds, removing crit first.

Oh right Tandem first aid roll
Medicae Abe (TN 41 + 20 + 20 - 10) = 71: 1d100 70
He'll be healed in 6 days.

Is there anyone else?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Josephina

"You mean, just leave them like this? This is sick. Let them have peace."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Sergeant Hammond Tucker

"Oh, they'll have their peace soon enough one way or the other. But if we can learn exactly what they are doing to them first, we could save countless lives. 'There is no sin in cruelty, only in its senseless application.' Inquisitor Tyrus's memoirs. But..."

Tucker stands up with a grunt, favoring his bruised ribs.

"I'm no CO, handing down inflexible decrees from behind base walls. I work for a living. You're the best of the best, Razorbeak, not some gaggle of fresh recruits who don't know their lasguns from their stablights. I trust your judgement on this. If I'm outvoted, we'll put them down."

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Salvus Weber

"It's every human's duty to give all they have in service to the Emperor - mind, body, and soul. Kill them now, and their deaths will only serve His enemies. Living, and giving our our adepts the chance to study this facility, is the last service they can offer the Emperor in this life. We shouldn't deprive them of that."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Deciding to leave this one for the Military Intelligence and Mechanicus types, it takes only a few clicks of a keyboard to deactivate the communications equipment on the roof while maintaining the rest of the "system". With their mission completed, the squad hurries out of the building as quickly as they can. A quick assessment of the situation leaves the group to figure that it'd be a quicker pick-up if they cleared away some of the camp for the Osprey Valkyrie to land as opposed to hoofing it to the clearing south of, and a long march down switchback of, the facility. As the group gets to clearing away tents, bodies, and cook fires, the unmistakable boom of the sound barrier can be heard, followed by distant, almost imperceptible explosions. As indicated, it appears that the heavy aerial bombardment began right after the signal went down.

About half an hour later a large enough clearing has been pushed aside for the Valkyrie, and Sergeant Tucker activates the infrared beacon to bring in the Osprey. Within a few minutes, the Black Feather makes a low pass of the compound and zooms out of sight. A minute later it comes back around and slows down ready to make a VTOL landing. One of the side doors is open and Mercedes waves at the squad from behind the door mounted Heavy Bolter, before going back to scanning the horizon. The back hatch begins to lower as the Valkyrie does, and as soon as the last of the squad is in, Hendricks takes off, the back ramp closing as the bird ascends.

Mercedes pulls in the turret and closes the door. Inside the ship the sounds of various radio chatter comes in through the speakers. Most of it is the standard radio chatter of men at war. Bomber wings confirming bombs away on target, ground forces providing updates on engagement is grid sectors. As the squad buckles into their harnesses, one particular exchange seems to come over the speakers.

Male Voice: "This is the 23rd Mech Cav. We've encountered an unmarked bunker. Taking heavy fire from some sort of plasma weaponry. Request Air support at these grid coordinates."

Female Voice a few minutes later: "Bomber wing Sigma engaging at indicated coordinates."

Male Voice: "Sigma, this is the 23rd, that bomber strike did nothing but kick up dust, we're getting slaughtered out here!"

Female voice: "23rd, those bombs were rated to penetrate solid rock. If it did nothing, then they must have fortified under the rock. We'd have to go back to base to get more munitions."

Male Voice: "Don't you have anything bigger? I'm nearing 50% Chimera losses!"

Male Voice 2: "23rd, we have some Krieg forces on the way but they're foot slogging. ETA 45 minutes."

Male Voice: "I don't think we have 45 minutes!"

Mercedes steps into the cockpit to speak to Hendricks, and shortly afterwards the Black Feather makes a slight correction. Mercedes comes back out and opens the side door, motioning the Sarge and anyone else to step up. Out the side door the sights of battle can be seen. For the most part it seems that the attack is doing well, and Imperial forces are making their way over craters marking where enemy defense formations once stood among the foothills and occasional rocky crags. The Osprey begins to circle around one part of the battlefield like a vulture seeking out carrion. A large number of smoking husks of Chimeras can be seen, but there is no sign of the source of the attack. However, after half a minute, a barrage of blue plasma bolts erupts from a good sized rocky outcropping, melting two Chimeras and the crew inside with ease. The weapons must have been recessed into the rock face, making them impossible to spot.

Hendricks circles around the out cropping a few times, and then Mercedes points to the back side, where a smallish access door can be seen, along with two gun ports. "Look, we can land you a little north of the outcropping. You could approach using the terrain for cover. Cracking that door will be tough, but once inside, you could, you know..." Mercedes says with a pleading look.

Hendricks looks back from the cockpit. "Look, I'm getting close to point of no return. You did your mission, ain't no one ordering us to do this. You're airborn. You went behind lines, did your work, now its the ground pounder's job." Mercedes gives him a look. Hendricks shrugs, "Look, I can drop you off, but then this bird has to get back to base and re-fuel. You'll be on your own, which I know is the usual."

War never changes, and the fog of war always hides stuff. You're being presented with an opportunity to be heroes. I'm going to say things like fate points and ammo only refresh when you get back to base, so you're in whatever shape the last mission left you. It's ultimately up to the squad. Your job is done. There won't be negative repercussions if you decide to head back to base.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Sergeant Hammond Tucker

Trying not to let the pain in his ribs creep into his voice, Tucker jumps onto the squad vox.

"You know, a great man once said, 'You miss 100% of the heretics you don't shoot.' What do you say, Razorbeak? The night is young, the war is fresh, and my blood is still up. Shall we head down there and save the day twice for good measure?"

LET'S DO IT OORAH OORAH

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

"Can we try to get one of the bombers to do another run? Even if it just kicks up dust, all the better to hide our attack."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Jayne Canton

Jayne looks grimly down at the battlefield, and nods in unison with Roland.

"Ready, Sarge! Let's go put the fear of the Emperor into those heretic scum!"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Abe Martinek

Abe sighs and gets off his rear end. "Sarge, I'm game if you are. But Tandem and I are both pretty beat up, and I'm down to one demo charge. It's your call, but if we do a drat thing I'd like it to be stepping out of this bird right up at that wall and blasting our way in."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Josephina

"One demo charge in the right place is all we need. They need us down there."

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Salvus Weber

"I think we're just about unanimous, then. Let's go."

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 12, 2017

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The Valkyrie does one more pass over the bunker entrance and it soon becomes clear that Abe's hope to land right in front would be wasted, given as the approach is full of Dragon's teeth. While designed to stop a tank from getting right up and knocking, the effect also would prohibit the Valkyrie from making a VTOL landing. Instead, the bird touches down just to the sides of the breech and allows the squad to empty out. The good news was the dragon's teeth would provide cover; the bad news is that 60 meters separates the first line of dragon's teeth from the door; with 15 meters between each line of teeth. The key will be trying to make it up to the door without getting torn apart by whatever weapons are in the two pillboxes.

Rough map of the area. The two green stars represent entry areas of where the squad can be out of sight of the bunkers. Initiative and careful advance are the name of the game. How do you approach this. literally and figuratively?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Sergeant Hammond Tucker

Tucker slides his preysense goggles down and motions to the dragon's teeth, then starts speaking into the vox in a low voice.

"Alright, only 2 people can fit behind each of those tank traps safely, and there's 12 of us, so our only option is a staggered advance with smoke cover until we're close enough for grenades. We start with smoke on the upper and lower traps. A soldier and comrade from each side push up into the smoke and take cover. Salvius, you have 1 krak missile left, correct? If so, you should be one of the pairs who moves up; hit one of those pillboxes and with any luck we'll only have one shooting at us.From there, one pair provides suppressing fire against both pillboxes while the other pair throws a smoke grenade to the next row of teeth. Then one pair moves up to the smoked cover in the next row and provides suppressing fire while the other pair throws their own smoke and then moves up. Another 2 pairs move up into the cleared cover and start taking aimed shots at the pillbox gunners. We continue until we're either close enough to throw grenades in or they get desperate and open the doors themselves for a final charge. Questions, suggestions?"

Initiative: 13

If possible I think we should split the squad, 3 on one side, 3 on the other, otherwise my whole plan goes to poo poo.

pre:
WS   BS   S    T    Ag   Int  Per  WP   Fel
43   32   35   40   41   31   31   34   41

Wounds: 04/14       FP: 0/1     Armour:  5 All
Movement: 4/8/12/24
Dodge/Parry:  41/73 (w/ Balanced)

Skills:

Command +20
Dodge
Parry +20

Talents:

Ambidextrous
Combat Master
Counter Attack
Double Team
Hatred (Mutants)
Iron Discipline
Radiant Presence
Rapid Reload
Resistance (Fear)
True Grit
WT (Chain, Las, Low-Tech)

Comrade Orders/Abilities

Get Them!
Vox-Tech

Weapons:

Compact Lascarbine     37m  S/2/- 1d10+2  E  Pen 0   30/30   Free   Reliable
Laspistol             30m  S/2/- 1d10+2  E  Pen 0   30/30   Free   Reliable
Chainsword          Melee   ---  1d10+5  R  Pen 2    ---     --    Tearing, Balanced
Monoknife               5m   ---  1d5+3   R  Pen 2    ---     --
Frag Grenade            9m  S/-/- 2d10    X  Pen 0    2/2     --    Blast 3, Ogryn-Proof
Smoke Grenade           9m  S/-/-  ----   -  Pen 0    2/2     --    Smoke 6  

*SB and other damage bonuses already incorporated 

Wargear: 

Respirator
Grav-Chute
Synskin
Preysense Goggles

Bonuses/Penalties of Note:

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 21, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Jayne Canton

Jayne eyes the ground they need to cover and does some quick mental calculations.

"Sarge, I reckon can make 2 rows of teeth if I sprint. If I get close to a pillbox I can put smoke on it directly and cut a bunch of time of that advance. I'd be out on my own, but I'll risk it."

initiative: 1d10+6 16

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Linara looks over at the pass and also gives a suggestion, "I could also try to sneak up as many rows as I can. I might be able to take someone with me, might get close enough to throw grenades at them."

Initiative (1d10 + 4): 1d10+4 5

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Josephina

"Slow and steady. I got plenty of smoke. I'll toss and we sight the muzzle flashes. They won't hit poo poo!"

The operator preps a grenade, ready to throw at the order to advance.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Abe Martinek

"Well, whoever's going out there first let me know. I got a good arm for smoke, and I can show you how to take out that safety sheath they put in 'em to regulate the burn rate. It's not strictly doctrinal, but what the hell."

pump up the smoke at this bunker concert: 1d100 89 only 1 dof so I don't make the grenade go wrong with my comrade around, let's try again
modify payload vs 79 on smoke attempt 2: 1d100 71 that's better

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Salvus Weber

"Two kraks left, sir. They're not frags, though; they might open up the bunkers, but they won't kill the men inside. I'd say my best use of them would be to move up, see where their heavy weapons are, and take them out once they expose themselves."

Initiative: 1d10+4 6

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The Squad waits until folks are arrayed in position, and then Jayne and Abe both Lob smokes down range, trying to create as great a screen of smoke as possible. With that Screen up Jayne runs up one side, making great pace compared to the others. Tucker, Linara and Weber all run up into position. The group here's a general call of alarm coming from the two pillbox holes. Staring through The smoke with their goggles, the Squad easily sees about three bodies per pillbox. Two appear to be manning some sort of crew serviced weapon, while the third in each group is staring out and seeming to direct fields of fire.

Guys, sorry for such a long delay on what seems like such a minimal post. Wasn't my intention, but Holidays kinda kicked my rear end. I promise next post will be more timely. Given Dachshund's plan and the general consensus, I assumed Jose and everyone else did a hold action until Abe 's turn and they both popped smoke. Then from there I figured Jayne and Linara took point, Tucker and abe, move up behind, and Jose and Abe are in the rear. If the above isn't right let me know. Assume we're at the top with Jayne.

All of you are in complete cover unless you fire, then your head and arms are exposed. Since these guys are peaking out to shoot you, their heads and arms are exposed. Legs and bodies behind cover. The Dragon teeth and their bunker are providing 16AP. Assume based on tactics that they are likely going to try and suppress or overwatch. So I everyone give me actions, but those of you after the enemy know that your actions might change based on being suppressed or them being on overwatch depending on who is left.

On the Map:
JC-Jayne
L:Linara
J: Jose
T: Tucker
A: Abe
W: Weber

ini:

Jayne-16
Jose-14
Tucker-13
Bunker gunners-11
Abe-10
Weber-6
Linara-5
Smoke: 19 rounds remaining

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Sergeant Hammond Tucker

Tucker sprints up to the next row of teeth, already holding the grenade he intends to throw at one of those windows.

"The heretics shall shudder before our cry! For the Emperor! Razorbeak, do or die!"

It is not the first time he has subjected Razorbeak to his improvised battle poetry. It will not be the last.

Get Them! vs 61: 88

Run up to the unoccupied tank trap in the middle of the next row.

pre:

Skills:

Command +20
Dodge
Parry +20

Talents:

Ambidextrous
Combat Master
Counter Attack
Double Team
Hatred (Mutants)
Iron Discipline
Radiant Presence
Rapid Reload
Resistance (Fear)
True Grit

Comrade Orders/Abilities

Get Them!
Vox-Tech

Weapons:

Chainsword          Melee   ---  1d10+5  R  Pen 2    ---     --    Tearing, Balanced
Frag Grenade            9m  S/-/- 2d10    X  Pen 0    2/2     --    Blast 3, Ogryn-Proof
Smoke Grenade          9m  S/-/-  ----   -  Pen 0    2/2     --    Smoke 6  

Wargear: 

Respirator
Grav-Chute
Synskin
Preysense Goggles

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Jayne Canton

Momentarily fooled by the thermal image of the enemies legs, Jayne and Yorke open fire low and perforate the bunker instead of the gunner they were aiming for

Yorke Maintains Cohesion and Ranged Volley

Semi-Auto Attack, Half Action Aim Short Range TN 82: 1d100 59

Hellgun Damage x 3: 3#1d10+5 15 7 11

First Hit - Left Leg 15 E Pen 7 - potential Righteous Fury if gunner has AP 2 or less on legs - Righteous Fury!?: 1d5 3
Second Hit - Left Leg - not penetrating the bunker
Third Hit - Body - not penetrating the bunker

cover of bunker reduced by 1

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Josephina

"Linara, move up! I'll cover you!"

With the doc right in front of her, Josephina can't move up unless they want to share the cover. And that just won't do if they both want to keep from getting shot. Instead, she takes aim at the pillbox on the left to try and get them ducking for cover. A quick snap of las bolts fills the air as Jose peeks around the edge of the tank trap so Linara can move up.

Suppressing fire with a semi-auto burst on the left pillbox
Suppressing Fire vs 19: 1d100 19 - Holy poo poo, a hit!
Left leg, so not an actual hit. I doubt a las can get through the cover :|
WP -10 test or be pinned for the guys in the pillbox.

pre:
WS     BS    S     T     Ag     Int    Per    WP    Fel  
42     39    37    34    44     41     29     34    24

Wounds: 7/1    Fate: 1/1   Fatigue Level: 0    Initiative: 2d10k1+4
Ground: 4/8/12/20

SB: 3  TB: 3
Awareness: 39
Dodge: 44
Parry: 62

Armour: 6 All

Weapons: 
Compact Lascarbine     37m  S/2/-  1d10+2  E  Pen 0  Clip: 28/30   Half   Reliable
Frag Grenade            9m  S/-/-  2d10+0  X  Pen 0  Clip:  2/2     --    Blast 3, Ogryn-Proof
Smoke Grenade           9m  S/-/-   ----   -  Pen 0  Clip:  3/4     --    Smoke 6
Best Mono Knife         5m  Melee  1d5 +4  R  Pen 2  Clip:  ---     --     

Noteworthy Talents:
Combat Master
Quick Draw

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Linara glances back and gives a thumbs up before motion to Ordo. They both do a roll from behind the Dragon's teeth and begin to move up, attempting to make it as far forward as possible to get into grenade range of the pillbox in front of them, but although the enemy can't clearly see the sly medic the sheer amount of firepower coming down at them still prevents forward motion from random shots pinging all over the area.

I'm going to roll Stealth to try and move up without getting shot at as far as I can. If I can run-stealth I'd like to try that. Linara's plan is to get close enough to throw grenades into the pillbox because she isn't a great shot. Does anyone have some heavier explosives she could have grabbed on the way to increase the payload if she/ordo makes it up to the pillbox without dying?
Stealth (40 + 20(stealth) + 10(terrain master) + 20(cloak) + 10(Synskin)= TN90: 1d100 7 8 Degrees of Success

EDIT: Pinning test failed Pinning -30: 1d100 62

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 18, 2018

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Jayne opens fire with her special pattern Hellgun upon the upper bunker, and is surprised when the first shot actually punches a hole straight through the bunker; Hellguns were nothing to be messed with. However, when none of the three visible silhouettes seem to collapse or scream out in pain, the sharpshooter can only assume the solider must be armored, or tough enough. Jayne stares down at the heat venting from her hellgun, cursing the pattern and wondering why she isn't taking specific shots.

Jose thinks a little more clearly and leveling her weaker pattern lasrifle, starts to spray as many shots into the firing port as she can. None of them seem to hit anyone, but she sees the heads suddenly duck behind the bunker and out of sight, and off their crew serviced weapon.

Tucker seizes the initiative and charges forward, making his way to the bunker to deliver some one on one justice.

The upper bunker sees Tucker as a threat, and starts to fire through the smoke at the sergeant, hoping to keep him pinned. However, the fire is also peppering Linara and Jayne! One of the gunners on the lower bunker raises himself high enough to shoot in Jose's general direction, but the smoke, and lack of aiming, cause the shots to go wide. As soon as he pops up, the heat signature of the gunner is gone again btehind the wall.

ini:

not much changed on the map other than Tucker moving up one. I'll post an updated map if we get more movement coming up, so remember you're on that next row middle dachshund.

Okay, lower bunker is suppressed still, even with the +30 to their test because they are behind cover. The upper bunker laid down supressive fire mainly on Tucker, but due to light lines Linara and Jayne are also caught up in that. Make a full auto pinning test with your next post. Curly, you can edit one into your post. We're now on the bottom three, but you top three can also post what you plan to do next round, as you'll act again before the bunkers do.

Jayne
Jose
Tucker
Bunker gunners
-Upper Bunker
-Lower Bunker (suppressed)
Abe <----- we are here
Weber
Linara
Smoke: 18 rounds remaining

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Pinning test against full auto tn 31: 1d100 30

just getting this out of the way now

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Abe Martinek

With the smoke providing some concealment, Abe slaps his partner on the shoulder and does his damndest to move up to an open piece of cover without getting his head shot off.

Tactical Move up to the cover Tucker just left, or Run if I don't have enough movement (I don't think I do.) Abe does have a demo pack if someone's stealthing up to the wall, but he'd the one who should do the check since it's, like, his job.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 17, 2018

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Salvus Weber

Reciting the litany of accuracy under his breath, Weber braces his missile launcher against his shoulder, and his leg against the ground. His weapon stabilised, he shifts to aim at the illuminated sillhouettes in the right bunker, counting down the seconds for the targeting reticule to turn green.

Bracing as a half action, followed by a half-action Aim.

Do krak missiles have any special effect on cover? By RAW it looks like they only do the standard 1-point reduction in cover value for a penetrating shot.

pre:
Salvus Weber
WS     BS    S     T     Ag     Int    Per    WP    Fel  
33     50    30    50    40     30     27     36    27

Wounds: 12/12    Fate: 1/1   Fatigue Level: 0    Initiative:  1d10+4
Ground: 4/8/12/20

SB: 3  TB: 5                              Armour: 5 All

Awareness: 7
Dodge: 40
Parry: 13               

Weapons: 
Compact Lascarbine      37m  S/2/- 1d10+5  E  Pen 0  Clip: 30/30(x4)   Half   Reliable
Osprey Missile Launcher
- /w Krak Missile       300m S/-/- 3d10+11 X  Pen 8  Clip:  1/1(x2)   Full   Concussive (3), Proven(3), Accurate, Overheats 
Frag Grenade            9m  S/-/-  2d10+0  X  Pen 0  Clip:  2/2(x2)     --    Blast 3, Ogryn-Proof
Smoke Grenade           9m  S/-/-   ----   -  Pen 0  Clip:  2/2(x2)     --    Smoke 6
Mono Knife              5m  Melee  1d5 +3  R  Pen 2  Clip:  ---     --     

Talents/Traits:
Deadeye Shot/Sharpshooter (No penalty to called shots)
Iron Jaw                  (Roll T to negate Stunned)
Tank Hunter               (Add BS bonus to Pen against vehicles)
Target Selection          (No penalty to shooting into melee)
True Grit                 (Doubles TB for critical damage)

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 17, 2018

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Sergeant Hammond Tucker

The Sergeant slides into cover, utterly unimpressed by the volley of fire, riding high on adrenaline and scripture.

"I do not fear the heretic! I am the hammer of righteousness! Vin, give me covering fire, I'm going for a lucky keyhole throw! If this doesn't work, I'm moving up again!"

Pinning vs 24 (34 -20 Full Auto Suppressing Fire +10 Resistance (Fear)): 20

Get Them! vs 61: 33, +4 damage to players' attacks until my next turn, so long as their comrades assist.

Frag Out vs 17 (32 -30 Extreme Range +10 Aim +5 Ranged Volley): 29

Scatter Distance: 1d5 1

Scatter Direction: 6, so that's either 1 meter short to the left or 1 meter short dead ahead, depending on whether you use the RAW scatter diagram or a houseruled d8 one where stuff isn't inexplicably more likely to land short to the left and right than anywhere else. Either way, they get caught in the blast, but odds are the walls in the way will save them unless I get a spectacular roll.

Frag Grenade Damage: 2d10+4 19

pre:

Skills:

Command +20
Dodge
Parry +20

Talents:

Ambidextrous
Combat Master
Counter Attack
Double Team
Hatred (Mutants)
Iron Discipline
Radiant Presence
Rapid Reload
Resistance (Fear)
True Grit

Comrade Orders/Abilities

Get Them!
Vox-Tech

Weapons:

Frag Grenade            9m  S/-/- 2d10    X  Pen 0    1/2     --    Blast 3, Ogryn-Proof

Wargear: 

Respirator
Grav-Chute
Synskin
Preysense Goggles

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Jayne Canton

Not for the first time Jayne laments the long cooldown on her hellgun. Sticking her head out into the bullet-dense air for a second she judges the distance to the walls and carefully considers the way the pillboxes arc of fire is restricted, formulating a brave (bad) idea.

"Yorke, we need to get closer! Wait for that fire to shift away from us and...GO!

A mad scramble through smoke and whistling near misses brings Jayne and Yorke to the wall by the cliff, close enough to spit into the bunker but (hopefully) out of the line of sight and fire of the big guns.

tactical advance to the wall above the Pillbox. hopefully anyone throwing grenades is throwing them at the other one? or I can delay my turn until after the grenades go off.

pre:
30   62   35   40   61   28   34   41   25

Wounds: 13/13       FP: 1/1     Armour:  5 All
Movement: 6/12/18/36
Dodge/Parry:  62/10 

Skills:

Dodge

Talents:

Double Team
Hatred (Mutants)
Lasgun Barrage
Lasgun Volley
Resistance (Fear)
Weapon Training (Las, Low Tech, Launcher)

Comrade Orders/Abilities

Weapons:
Hotshot Lasgun Basic 60m RoF: S/3/- Dam:1d10+4E Pen:7 clp: 30 Rld: 2full, Spcl: Ogryn Proof, Proven (2), Recharge Wt. 6KG
Krak Grenade            9m  S/-/- 2d10+4    X  Pen 6    2/2     --    Blast 3, Ogryn-Proof

Wargear: 

Respirator
Grav-Chute
Synskin
Preysense Goggles

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
It became quickly apparent that the bunker wasn't going to hold up to the combined arms of the Ospreys. Most of the armaments were focused frontward, no one was ever supposed to get around the locals impregnable line. With one pillbox suppressed, it didn't take much for the squad to advance forward close enough to throw grenades in the pillboxes.

Which only went on to illustrate the danger of having large boxes of ammunition to feed crew serviced heavy stubbers in a confined space housing plasma ammo for a plasma destructor type weapon.

Luckily Abe realized the danger after the first grenade detonated and he heard the ammo boxes cook off, and hurried everyone away from the bunker before it became a mostly blue-white crater.

Within minutes a beat up looking Chimera pulled up to the crater and Cadian infantry piled out. At first they pointed their weapons at the Ospreys. Given that they didn't know any other troops were ahead of them, the mechanized infantry believed that the Ospreys were enemies, but Tucker quickly confirmed that they were drop troops and loyalists. they all thanked the Ospreys, and the squad stood by the crater and rested while a good dozen chimeras sped past, each on honking at the heroes of their regiment.

Within the hour The Black Feather returned refueled and returned the squad to the operating base. Unlike when they were last here, the base was nearly empty. All the Death Korps and Cadians that had been stuck at a stand still were gone, the front now on the move. They initially told that the command staff were busy coordinating the attack, with General Greggor, Captain Hessen and Major Zamora all on the front personally leading their troops. The command staff left behind asked the squad to do what they were used to, writing after action reports and debriefs.

One Day Later:

About three hours after submitting their after action reports, the squad is summoned back to the command bunker. On their way they see the camp is a hive of activity one again, as support troops and engineseers are tearing down buildings and prefab structures.

The Squad is greeted by the two Cadians, General Greggor and Captain Hessen. Greggor salutes the troops, while Hessen goes to each one and shakes their hands. Afterwards, Greggor speaks. "You all are to be commended. You went above and beyond the job, in more ways than one. Your long term tactical thinking informed your decisions in relation to that radar base.
By keeping it intact, you have provided us with an invaluable intelligence asset. The Engineseers who went there said it was an absolute 'abomination to the machine God' and I was told one cog head actually cried. Seems that as we advanced, the enemy overloaded the generators on all the other bases, scuttling them. Had you just blown it up, we would have been clueless as to what to do."

Hessen breaks in, "What you did with that bunker was an amazing feat. Your job was done, and one of you was wounded." He looks at Abe, "you could have flown back to base, but you dropped off and aided the war effort where it needed you. For that, I would like to offer you these." Hessen moves to a crate on a near-by table and crack it open. He begins to pull out small boxes, and approaches each of the squad with them. He opens each one and hands them to the squad. Inside each is a small medal.

"Those are 'Clan-brothers of Cadia' medals. They are an honor we bestow upon other regiments or individual soldiers who have proven themselves true allies of Cadia for putting themselves in harms way for our own."

Greggor then walks up to Abe. "As Hessen said, one of you was injured. Even if it was fall related, you landed in the middle of their camp. You distracted the enemy long enough for your squad to get into position and even with an injured leg and the fighting all around, you stood your ground. It is my honor to bestow upon you the Medallion Crimson." Greggor pins the medallion on Abe's uniform.

"For now take a few days for rest and recovery. The lines are still shifting, and right now we don't have an immediate use for your skillset. With that air defense net down we are able to run sorties in the foothills behind their defenses with ease. Who know, if this momentum keeps up, we may actually just send you back off world to some other warzone."

Okay. So I decided to sort of hand wave that along as it was taking longer than I wanted and my break last week due to community theater didn't help.

You each got 800 exp to spend
You each got the Clan Brothers of Cadia medal which give +10 on all fellowship tests with Cadian regiments.
Abe got the medallion Crimson which is in the core book, but basically it reduces the damage you take the first time in combat by 1.

Spend your EXP and then indicate what you do with some down time. I'll get the next post up once I finish planning the next mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Sergeant Hammond Tucker

"It's an honor, sir. I shall wear it with pride."

On the way out, once they're out of earshot of the command staff, he claps Abe on the shoulder and smiles. "I'd complain that I didn't get one too, but with my ribs taped up I'm more than happy to avoid having anything pinned to my chest. You're a credit to the squad." Then he turns to the others. "You all are, actually. Beautiful work as always, Razorbeak. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a few days of mandatory bed rest. Bloody medics say I can't train until I heal up. At least I can catch up on my reading..."

And indeed, Tucker spends most of the downtime on forced R&R, rereading his biography of Saint Macharius and Imperial Thoughts for the Day 400-500.M40, which was his personal favorite of the series. When the medics finally let him exert himself, he spends every spare second in the training yard, practicing his footwork and swordplay. He needed to be faster, stronger, better. He couldn't afford to let an Ogryn get the better of him again.

Picking up Step Aside and +5 Strength.

• Locked thread