Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Abe Martinek


For what is perhaps the ninth time in his life, Abe seems like he actually means it when he salutes like a soldier. "The honor is mine, sir. It is a soldier's pleasure to represent the Imperium, Elysia, and the Guard."

After they leave, of course, he relaxes back into a more comfortable slouch on his way to a place to sit. "How about next time, we represent it with less of me almost breaking my leg?" Aside from resupplying, getting himself more thoroughly patched up, and resting the aforementioned leg, Abe runs back over every drop course and successful mission he'd ever been on to make sure he's not embarrassed like that again.

Got operate aero +10, drop trooper, and tech-use +20. I sure hope the next mission will involve us flying and or jumping out of something, cause otherwise that's 400 wasted xp (tech-use is never wasted.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Jayne Canton

Jayne manages to avoid crying during the medal ceremony, but can be seen for days afterwards polishing the little scrap of tin and strutting around like a rooster with delusions of grandeur.

It takes a decent chunk of brutal room clearing and reaction time training (and a healthy dose of scorn from Yorke) to knock some of the fool out of her. She does come away with a better grasp of how to spring nasty surprises, and how to act when a nasty surprise is sprung on you. The bump on her head from the 'accident' where a section of a walkway collapsed under her goes down soon enough.

Ambush 200
Catfall 200
Lightning Reflexes 200
Rapid Reload 200

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Josephina

The scout maintains her composure, though inside she's completely freaking out. The Cadians of all regiments! In all the flurry of action it was hard to tell who was under fire from those pillboxes, but Emperor damned if it wasn't the Cadians! The best of the best and Josephina's squad was being recognized for their service to such a lauded force of elites.

It takes a while to come down from that high. Eventually she needs to focus on the Razorbeaks instead. More training, more skills. Going up against renegades with the same training as the Guard was rough, and Josephina practices intrusion and subdual tactics with a few new... well, not friends, but less standoffish among the Cadians. They also show her the ropes of more advanced close quarters combat, how to move swifter and be more deadly. They're incredible in battle, and Jose is no match for even the youngest among them, but she gets the idea fairly quickly.

Picked up Silent Ambush (Scout) and Swift Attack.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013


Salvus Weber

As the squad disbands, Salvus gestures for Darrien to follow him, and the two head towards the Departmento Munitorum's row of warehouses. One thing Salvus has learned from a career in the Guard is that heavy casualties and the chaos of relocating the supply chain always means that there are supplies going spare. Between the failed bunker assaults and the sudden shift in the frontlines, a new medal, a sympathetic ear and a bottle of amasec should be enough to secure almost anything they want. Before long, the two emerge from the building, less a bottle of amasec, but carrying a half-full crate of krak missiles between them.

For the next few days, the pair roam the wastes surrounding the operating base, Salvus practising his bracing and aiming drill, and Darrien calling out whatever target is close at hand; stunted trees, decrepit and long-abandoned machinery, and even whatever local wildlife has survived a hive's industrial run-off. Salvus still misses the simple precision of his old lascannon, but, once he's had time to adjust to the onboard cogitator's idiosyncrasies, he has to admit that it's at least as accurate as anything he's used before.

Buying Spotter (Sharpshooter) for 300XP, and Versatile Shooter for 400XP.

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at Feb 4, 2018 around 03:18

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Linara Lyhte

Linara manages not to fidget as the medal is presented to her. In hindsight it was suicidal, but in the moment it had seemed such an obvious choice. Still, it made her proud to be recognized along with her squadmates. Once the ceremony was over the medic would follow along with Josephina, learning more advanced techniques of taking down unwary foes. However whereas the baby-bird learned the art of swordplay, Linara focuses on learning from the Cadian scouts that she could find, attempting to master the ability to move without being seen and strike suddenly, without warning. Taking on the gun positions was a fluke, a happy accident - next time, it would be all according to plan.

Linara will spend time improving her pilot/jumping skills, becoming more sneaky as a scout and learning how to get out of the way of the hurty-things.
Stealth +30 (400)
Silent Ambush (Scout) (400)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



thinking of Sentry at the next interval, does that mess with anyone's plans?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!


Doesn't interfere with me at all

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

I'll probably stick with Scout or go Brawler to up my melee. Stealth is pretty shored up between Agi and a net +40 to the skill, so I can sneak in and mix it up.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug

No problem here. I've been vacillating between going Commander or sticking with Sergeant again, because Commander gets great (and very expensive) squad buffing powers but it'll make my already mediocre aptitudes even worse.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Four Days Later:

Razorbeak received a few days of R and R, but befitting the elite team that they are, most of the squad spent it training or doing something else, instead of being idle. In that time a lot of activity occured in the base camp. It becomes very apparent that the vast bulk of the army is being moved forward. The large tent cities are gone, having been packed up during the night. However, most of the prefabricated structures remain standing and manned. A large number of the Mechanized Infantry's Chimeras are receiving repairs, though repairs are not the right term. Many of them are little more than piles of molten metal, the remnants of company that had attacked the bunker that Razorbeak defeated. The Engineseers are salvaging what they can to repair other vehicles.

After four days Razorbeak is summoned into the command structure. Inside they find their Osprey crew Hendricks and Mercedes, along with two other people. They "recognize" the first one, it is Major Zamora of the Death Korps still wearing her gas mask, even though they were miles from the front, in an environmentally sealed bunker. The fourth individual they do not recognize. He, or she, is clearly a Mechanicus operative, dressed in the typical red robes of the order. Human hands just from the ends of the robe, but under the hood is a very distinct mechanical visage not too different from the Death Korps officer. After the squad enters Zamora begins quickly, without any introductions.

"Your first mission was vital when it comes to mission intelligence. After you deactivated the one 'radar station' we tried to move forward on the others during our assault. However, the other radar stations all were ready for an assault, and whenever any of our forces got close, they seemed to activate a scuttle maneuver, overloading their power generators and going up in a small fusion detonation. Had you chosen to destroy to building, as was your tactical right, we would have gathered little intel."

Zamora looks at the Mechanicus before continuing. "The Mechanicus have managed to gather a large amount of intel from the structure. Most importantly, they were able to determine a central location where the data was being transmitted. This location is deep behind enemy lines in a remote mountain valley. Our ground assaults are not close yet, and we fear that if they were to get close, they would likely scuttle this location as well. As such, or best hope of gathering more intel lies here."

Zamora begins to reference some photos of a mountain valley. The squad sees a large structure with some out buildings in the middle of the valley next to a lake. There appears to be one exit to the valley, with the words "armored checkpoint?" written on it. On the other end of the valley, where there is no exit from, is another circle with the words "location of signal source" written on it.

"The intel we have on the location is pre-war," the Krieger continues, "We haven't been able to do a full fly by as this location also has up anti-air defenses and a similar radar apparatus to the one you have already destroyed. It is also within the ring of ground-to-orbit weapons the locals have constructed. As such we have no intel. We known this valley used to be a vacation location before the current regime took over. The large structure in the middle was a luxury hotel and spa visited by the most wealthy on the planet." Zamora points to the southern exit to the valley. "We have some unverified intelligence from POWs that there is some sort of hardened checkpoint at the entrance to the valley. Exact force composition unknown. The intel is of low trustworthiness, but it is the only intel we have."

Zamora then points to the other end of the valley. "This is where the signals are going to. The enemy must have built some kind of facility there. We don't know how large, or what enemy composition is, but it is there." Zamora points to a board near-by with the following words written on it:

Primary Objective:
Gather intel and data download from instillation.

Secondary Objectives:
1. Capture or kill who is in charge, if present.
2. Destroy Anti-air capability for added tactical advantages.

Tertiary objective:
Destroy instillation, if possible.

"Your primary objective is the most important one. We don't know what is down there, but we need to. Gather all in information and intel you can. Size, force composition, everything. If you are able to infiltrate the facility, we would ask you to locate any cogitator bank you can to do a data download."

At this point the Mechanicus speaks, its voice synthesized and indistinct. "I am authorized to give you technology to aid you." It reaches into its robe and pulls out a servo skull, handing it to Tucker. "This servo skull serves as a mobile data download device. There is an interface cable at the back. Plug it into any cogitator and it will download information. It even has sophisticated security routing measures. It is very likely this facility will not use standard cogitator banks. If you see another biological array as you saw at the radar facility, that may be acting as a cogitator bank."

Zamora continues. "If when you get up there, if you think you won't be able to infiltrate the facility, then gather the intel you can and abort mission. If you can infiltrate, you have two secondary objectives. We believe a rogue member of the Mechanicus must be behind this. If you can locate who is in charge, try to capture them for extraction if you can. If you cannot, then eliminate them. However, your primary objective comes first. Obtain the data download first before making any attempt on whomever is in charge. As indicated, there is anti-air covering most of the valley. Your pilot will speak to this soon, but there is one safe area to land in the valley near the south checkpoint. It is the only place you can exfil from, unless you take down their air defenses. If you can manage that, then your Osprey can land anywhere. Lastly, if this facility is like the others with a plasma generator to overload or other way to destroy it, do so, but only if you have achieved your primary objective."

Zamora then turns to Hendricks and Mercedes. The pilot speaks, "As has been stated by the Major, due to the way the radar works, based on intel from the Mechanicus, there should be one blind spot we can land near that southern exit to the valley. A normal Valkarie wouldn't be able to land, but our stealth Osprey should. So we can land there, and you can hoof it. Likewise, unless you take down the anti-air, that is the only evac point. Otherwise we can try to air drop you near the old hotel, or right near the facility, if you want." Hendricks looks at Abe when he talks about doing an air drop.

Good, any questions?"

Even with their obscured faces, the squad get a strong feeling that Zamora and the Tech priest are not telling you everything they know.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Sergeant Hammond Tucker

Tucker leans over the photos in silence while they speak, taking in the imagery and contemplating what they'd discovered on the last mission. He hadn't been sleeping so well lately, even when he'd had painkillers for his ribs. When they prompt him for questions, he takes a deep breath and vents the bad feeling that's been eating at him.

"You know, in all the confusion of the past few days, I've just realized that I'm not sure we related something about our last mission. There was this propaganda poster with an eye on it, said something about a "Governor" always watching. It exuded an unnatural presence, we all felt it. I tore it down and burned it because I couldn't stand... well, I couldn't stand the feeling that someone was watching me through it. Is there something worse than vile torturous tech-heresy and recidivism going on here? Have there been any indications that they are trafficking with psykers or the Archenemy? Is there a threat that's, shall we say, not marked on the map? One that we can't confirm yet, but that we can all feel?"

If I need to actually roll a social skill, then I'm rolling against 21 because lol Sergeant doesn't get the Social aptitude so I'm not buying any talky skills until I hit Commander

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Yes, you need to either roll a charm test to convince the Major/coghead, or try to intimidate her. Though let me tell you, failing the intimidate check will have consequences.

If you can't persuade them, then they won't share what other additional information they might have.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug

Charm vs 21 (Untrained): 94

Presumably they just look at Tucker like he's an idiot, which he very well may be And I only have one fate point, I can't go spending it on things that aren't definitely life-or-death.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Josephina

Okay, something's going on that's going unsaid. But whatever it is must not be 'mission critical', so they brass figures they can just keep it from the squad.

"I'd suggest we go in quietly. Get dropped off and just march there. It'll keep things from getting too hot right off the bat, and let us maybe plant a few distractions for the way out. But if there's something else going on, we should probably hear it. Any information will only increase the chance of mission success."

Hopefully the logic will appeal to the tech-priest, if nothing else. They can run the numbers with the best of the Guard staffers, and often better.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Linara Lyhte

Linara just about manages to keep from fidgeting throughout the briefing, but eventually she does start tapping her fingers against her side as something nags at her. This seems like a good plan, but also just about the same plan as last time. Eventually she can't ignore the paranoia building in the back of her mind and asks about her concerns,

"We had the element of surprise last time. That drat poster was watching us. If 'we're already made then we need to do something that they haven't seen us do before - land based infiltration seems like a good bet, but we need to know if they are expecting our sort of operation now."

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013


Salvus Weber

Salvus whistles through his teeth as he looks at the briefing board.

"Well... I've done a lot of things in the Emperor's service, but capturing a rogue Magos hasn't been one of them."

He shoots a glance at the taciturn Tech-priest.

"I can't imagine it'll be as easy as knocking him over the head and lugging him back to the Osprey. I know your order's entitled to its secrets, I'm not trying to gainsay that, but the more we know, the smoother this'll go. Is there anything we should be watching out for, if we get a shot at him?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

The Krieg Commander and the Mechanicus both look at each other, and Zamora speaks through her raspy gas mask. "We don't have any further confirmed intelligence. The only things we have are conjecture, and we can't act on conjecture. We'll leave you here to continue your preparations." She places a folder down on the table. "Here is your mission assignment gear. These are some rather rare pieces of equipment, so you will have to return it. Since you already have line and grapnel from your last mission, you may keep those rather than return them and be reassigned them."

Zamora and the Mechanicus walk out of the room. Tucker walks over to the Requisition Slip for the mission gear and reads it aloud:

12 Grapnel and Lines (already have)
6 Chameleoline cloaks
1 multikeay
2 stummers
1 static generator

Mercedes looks to the group, "Okay, sounds like some of you are in favor of us dropping you off and going by foot, but is that the plan? Or do some of you want to do a high orbit drop again?"

Okay, this time I decided to roll the Logistics test for your mission gear for you. Your base is still 15. You're getting a +30 this time. +10 standard, +10 for important mission, +0 for war conditions (not at an impasse anymore, but not quite near victorious) +10 for the quartermaster being Cadian. Total of 45. I rolled a 23 which means 3 DoS.That means 2 additional Gear. You get a case of 50 ration packs and a case of 10 standard pattern lasguns. This extra gear isn't on the Requisition Slip, so it is under the table and you get to keep it. You can barter away the ration packs or lasguns.

You can also Keep the lasguns. Your standard kit are las carbines with the compact upgrade, so if you want some standard sized lasguns, you can take them from the case.

Right now, the standard warfront conditions are Multiple Regiments, less than three months on front, front active 1-5 years, war conditions are a +0 as no longer a violent impasse, but not near victorious. Discuss deployment further, and then everyone can try to hook or crook your way into more gear through requisitions. You can try to trade away the acid you got last time and the rations for spoils of war, pieces of other regiment's kit, or services like weapon customization.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Sergeant Hammond Tucker

"Hmm, might want to hang onto some of those lasguns. They're hardly any bigger, but the range and punch difference should be substantial. Assuming, of course, that we still can't get a shipment of our own hellguns..."

Tucker drums his knuckles against the table, lips puckered in thought, then looks up and answers Mercedes.

"Well, heading in on foot is certainly the safer option, but who among us expected the Guard to be safe? I say we drop on that hotel. Squad, what do you think? We had a rough go of it last time, and I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a hike, but a drop would save us a lot of time."

I'll do my requisitions once we know what we're doing drop-wise.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Linara Lyhte

Linara will mull things over in her mind, but ultimately doesn't know which one would be superior, "I don't like pulling the same trick twice, especially if all of that tech and heresy somehow got word out that gravtroops are in theater. They are likely to be on high alert... But they may have all their eyes on the sky. On the other hand sneaking around that checkpoint could be trouble. Given the options I would rather infiltrate on foot or drop directly onto the compound."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Jayne Canton

"Direct drop onto the hotel works for me. Infiltrating on foot gives too many chances for a cogboy to spot us and whip up some trouble. I don't wanna find out what tech-heresy looks like when it sees you coming."

Jayne will keep a lasgun - the extra range over the carbine is significant.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013


Figured a map would help. Remember, this is based on pre-war satelite photos, situation on ground may be drastically different. The "x" is the landing zone where they should be able to land safely. The "1" and "2" represent the hotel and facility paradrop zones. You could choose to drop wherever you want to, those two locations were just tactical suggestions.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Sergeant Hammond Tucker

"Now that I look at it, the suggested hotel drop hardly saves us any time at all. That being said, if the hotel is tall enough, we could use it for long-distance recon, get an idea of what's at the suspected checkpoint and the signal source. On the other hand, if it's enemy occupied, we can't afford to let them get a message off before we reach the primary objective. The static generator's range is tiny, its effects are obvious to the people being jammed, and it won't do anything to stop them from just shooting off an emergency flare. Mutants and heretics or not, they're military drilled, they'd be fools to only rely on comms for communication in a warzone. Alright, I'm changing my vote. I say we go with the original plan, land and hoof it. We'll observe the hotel from a distance, see if it's abandoned or a viable target. If not, we should bypass it entirely. Any objections, or shall we get to scrounging up some extra kit?"

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Josephina

"My thoughts exactly. It's a tactically advantageous position if it's still intact. Good place for a garrison if the checkpoint or signal station needs support. The lake's a good landing point for supplies, or they can just come downriver. I'd rather avoid it if at all possible."

If it's even still there. These maps are old. There's not telling how much damage the resort took over the course of the war. It's not exactly a priority target, but denying the enemy ready-made housing for troops and materiel is just sound tactics.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Mercedes nods and nudges Hendricks. "Right, we'll get things ready to do a landing. We'll then dust off and await your signal for evac. Remember, if you can take down the air defenses at their base, then we can come in and pick you up anywhere. This mission isn't as time sensitive as the last one, so we'll leave tomorrow afternoon with enough time to get a night time landing in."

That gives the entire squad a little over a day Terran standard to go ahead and rest and recoup.

Your Logistics rating remains at 15. Warfront conditions are multiple regiments for availability. -10 for Less than 3 months on front. +20 for front active a year. and +0 for war conditions. That's a total rating of 25 before availability. Remember, you get +10 bonus to get your regimental basic or heavy weapons, their stats are in the recruit OP. but as a reminder they are a hotshot lasgun with recharge, proven (2) and Ogrynproof and a krak Missile launcher with accurate and overheats.

Also remember you have the rations, lasguns, and acid to trade away. Those will be based on commerce tests with other guard units. If I remember, that acid was used to clean organic matter from vehicles, which may be of interest to some of those cadian Mechanized infantry. Trading in the acid and rations will give +20 to a commerce test. You can try to trade for regimental kit from other units, any spoils of war (enemy weapons) or for services from other units, like weapon mods. Just be creative and post what you want to do, and I'll let you know if you can find it.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Josephina

The tech-scout spends most of her day attempting to upgrade her kit, taking one of the full size lasguns out of the requisition crate for her own use. After that is a trip to the quartermaster. Having slightly more luck this time around, she at least got something to use for helping out the squad. Autoquill in hand she heads over to the depot to see if it's possible to get some time in the workshop to work on her tools.

Autoquill vs 25: 1d100 22
Combi-tool vs 15: 1d100 57
Auspex vs 35: 1d100 91

With the autoquill, I've got a 71 to add customizations to weapons. What's the limit on how many I can attempt during our downtime?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Jayne Canton

Looking over the map Jayne shrugs.

"Walking it is, then. Good thing we picked up these long rifles, given the amount of open ground in that photo."

Jayne goes hunting for a little something to give her throwing arm a hand covering those distances, should they need to use grenades.

logistics (grenade launcher) TN 25: 1d100 41

no joy unless i can retroactively add one of the trade items


And for something to give her hellgun even more punch, given that cogboys tend to be a tougher than the average.

Logistics (overcharge pack) TN 35: 1d100 13

Sure, the overcharge pack will burn through the Hellgun's limited ammo even faster. But Jayne figures you have to be alive to worry about reloading.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at Mar 16, 2018 around 06:22

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013


Salvus Weber

"From here, it looks like the hotel is still our best source of information before we reach the facility itself. If we can't infiltrate it, I'd suggest we lay a trap on one of the roads heading out of it. With any luck, we'll be able to catch someone to pump for intel. "


Logistics (Frag missiles), TN 15: 1d100 93

Logistics (Regimental hotshot lasgun), TN 35: 1d100 32

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at Mar 19, 2018 around 04:22

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Sergeant Hammond Tucker

"Ah, Linara, there you are!" Tucker collars the medic before she can slip away to... whatever she was always doing. As he walks with her, he tosses his new stummer up and down in his hand. He'd never been too fleet of foot, so a little silence would greatly improve his chances of sneaking up on people. Like he just had, for example.

"You know, while I was down at the commissary filling out forms in triplicate to explain why exactly a drop trooper would want a combat buckler intended for military police, I was thinking about what we could do with that drum of acid and all those spare rations. And I had an idea, a wonderful idea, one that will preserve our combat effectiveness for the future. After all, as the great Sullius Artho said at the beginning of the final campaign to remove the Archenemy presence within Subsector Vampiris, 'He who plans not for his future has no future.'

I want you to offer our spare items to the Cadian Mechanicus detachment in return for favors. Namely, if we need them, I want them to guarantee access to replacement cybernetic limbs of reasonable quality, at least so long as we remain in this theater. I don't want to end up missing members of the squad on a future mission if someone suffers a misjump and ends up snapping their leg clean off next time, understand? And I'm asking you because you have the patience and the, ah, personality to deal with cogs. I'm too gregarious to persuade them, I fear that I disturb them. No appreciation for fine literature. Right, off you go!"


Tucker releases the medic and walks away, whistling a few bars of the Emperor's March. If all went according to plan, they'd have a solid insurance policy.

Logistics (Stummer) vs 45 (25 Base +10 Average +10 Covert Ops): 33

Logistics (Shield) vs 45 (25 Base +20 Common): 43

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

With roughly 24 hours, the squad goes about wheeling, dealing, and modifying. The squad also tries to adjust their sleep schedule. Knowing theirs will be a nighttime insertion (as most drop troop insertions are) many of the squad tries to sleep during the day, and waking up in the afternoon shortly before everyone boards the Black Feather. Once everyone is secured and gear is stowed, it is a relatively quiet flight to the drop zone, at least from the cabin crew. Mercedes is up in the cockpit with Hendricks, as she has few flight crew duties to do in a drop where there is no drop.

Around 20:30 hours, Mercedes comes out of the cockpit and opens up one of the side doors. She motions Tucker over to the door and points out. The scene below them is inky and black; out in the middle of nowhere, away from civilization, the night gets black as the void; blacker, as there are no stars and nebula to light the way. Such a darkness does highlight, in a painful fashion, where the artificial light of man is.

The Feather is skimming between the mountain peaks, but in the distance is the target valley. The ship is approaching from the southwest. The first thing that is visible is the entry to the valley. Though hard to judge from here, there clearly are the twinkles of man-made lights to be seen, confirming there is some sort or checkpoint there. The rest of the valley has patches of forests separated by mostly flat ground, and snow, reflecting white in the moonlight.

Snow would be a problem. It would make tracking their movements easy for anyone who was looking for them.

Then Mercedes points in the distance towards the Green Moose Resort. Many lights can be seen from the windows, as well as around the grounds. The headlight of some vehicle can be seen on the road heading down to the checkpoint. Mercedes then flips down her photovisors, and motions for Tucker to do the same. When he does, the Hotel lights up, as multiple columns of light invisible to the naked eye stab up into the sky.

"Infared searchlights. Nearly invisible to the naked eye, but totally visible with the right vision equipment. Good way to trick passing aircraft into thinking the area is safe. That also fills in some of our intel sarge. Their anti-air batteries are located at the Green Moose Resort. So if you want us to land anywhere but our designated landing zone, you'll need to take them down there. That may complicate things, as we sort of assumed the batteries would be back by whatever facility you're going to."

Mercedes then motions for Tucker to take a seat, as she slides the mounted stubber out of the door. It was merely a precaution; if their landing were hot, they'd likely turn right back around. Another two minutes pass, and the dropship slows down, and enters a sudden decline as it enters the valley hugging as close to the mountain as possible. The ship comes to a brief hover. Before the back ramp lowers, Hendricks quickly barks into the speakers, "To conserve fuel we will be landing in a safe zone outside the valley and shutting down the engines. Note this means between start up and flight time, it will be about 5 minutes from you calling us to our arrival." The sentence is punctuated by the back ramp lowering.

The squad quickly disembark, and the Feather is back in the air before the ramp even raises, disappearing from sight. The squad quickly runs to tree cover of a nearby stand of trees, and is now faced with a decision. Head North to the unknown signal source, or head north-east and try to take out the anti-air batteries first?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Josephina

"Well, poo poo. No comfy resort for us to set up as an FOB."

That's a pain. Problem is, hitting one base would alert the other, making their job that much harder.

"I suggest we silence the flak. It'll make it easier to exfil and maybe we can get some air support in a pinch, but I don't wanna have to. If we lose our ride, we're screwed."

Spend a bit of time modifying my gear. Adding a custom grip to my knife.
Modify Mono-knife vs 71: 1d100 49 = 3 DoS so I can make another attempt. Gonna do the lascarbine for no penalty to the roll.
Modify Las Carbine vs 71: 1d100 32 for custom grip as well.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Sergeant Hammond Tucker

"Agreed, Josephina. Abe, you have the technical expertise to rig explosives on a time delay, and even a mere frag grenade hidden in the right place could ruin one of those weapons. I say we sneak up and rig them all to blow in a few hours, then use the time we have left to push towards the primary objective. We've been provided with enough chameleoline cloaks and stummers for the whole squad, so let's make use of them. Any objections, Razorbeak?"

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013


Salvus Weber

"No objections, sir. All I can think of is that we should angle our approach to keep the snow between them and us as much as possible. They shouldn't have synskin or cameleoline, so if they cross the snow, they'll stand out like a bonfire on the preysenses."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Jayne Canton

"No objections, sir. Sooner we get started the sooner we're done."

Jayne mentally takes inventory of her supply of grenades. Hopefully enough to do some damage.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

The squad head off in the general direction of the Green Moose Resort intent on trying to silence the anti-air gun located there. As the squad gets moving, they are relieved that the snow does not seem to be fresh and light, but instead dense, the hard frozen snow found in a long winter. That means that their going is a little easier as they are not sinking knee deep with every step. Knowing there is no real way to fully cover their tracks, the squad starts to walk single file, stepping in the same footprints so no one can quite see their numbers.

The squad moves from copse of trees to copse, taking time to survey the area from behind the trees before moving on.After about thirty minutes of walking, the squad hears the unmistakable sound of a vehicle engine in the distance. The squad lowers themselves to the ground in their current copse. Soon, from around another group of trees in the distance, the squad witnesses a group of four "people" emerge. These men (and one woman) all appear to be vile abominations. Each one has four arms, with each set of arms carrying different weapons. Two of them seem to have autoguns and shotguns, while the other two have four pistols. The group stop about 100 meters away. One scans the nearby trees, while the other three break to take sips from canteens.

The mutants begin to engage in conversation. The woman mutant puts her flask away and draws her pistols again. "It's loving cold out here. I wish they'd give us better thermalwear." The group seem to be well armored, in what appears to be common guard flak armor, but such armor has never been known to be good at keeping heat in. Another mutant says, "Quit it. We gotta make our way to where these folks landed."

Another mutant speaks, "Well, if our radar picked up their ship coming why the hell didn't the anti-air just shoot them out of the sky?"

"Because The Champion says that the Magos wants them alive. Says according to the sensor logs this was the same ship that took out the radar net," replies the last mutant. "plus, if the gunship comes back to rescue them, we'll blow them out of the sky!"

"Don't know why we cannot ride in the tank," the first mutant half asks, half states.

"So that way if we run into the invaders we can warn the tank you idiot." one says as he pats a radio at his side. It appears all four have radios.

Soon bright lights can be seen coming from around the same copse the four mutants came from, and seeing the tank catching up, the four quickly look at a map, and head off in the direction Razorbeak came from. Just as they are out of sight, a Chimera comes around the corner. It seems no different from standard Imperial design, with a hull mounted flamer and autocannon turret. Autoguns are sticking out of the firing ports on the side, indicating more are inside. The IFV is moving at a slow speed, trying to follow the tracks of the mutants.

As it passes the squad all look at each other. It would only be a matter of time until the enemy found their tracks. The squad could make a break for it, leaving all caution to the wind to try and put as much distance between them and their pursuers as they can. The squad could continue on their way as they are trusting in their stealth to get to their destination.

A few things were clear. The enemy knows they are there. The enemy can detect their stealth craft, and unless they can take down the AA at the resort, their air support will be shot down.

Sorry for the long delay. Wasn't my intent for there to be a whole month. Things got away from me. Plus I was waiting to see if more than three folks posted, or else it would have been in danger.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Josephina

Well, this mission certainly went downhill right off the bat. The squad obviously made the right choice to advance on the AA, but this new bit of intel just hammered it home. If they can detect the dropship, could they even now know where the squad is? Now more than ever it's imperative to get to the enemy observation base to find out what kind of tech-sorcery is in play now. Josephina keys her comm to address the rest of the unit.

"Want me to sneak in for a bit of knife work, or do we just let them pass?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Jayne Canton

Jayne suppresses a shudder as the multi armed mutants pass. They're more talkative than the hybrid Genestealers that hunted her before, but what they have to say isn't exactly comforting. The presence of enemy mechanized units is also unpleasant, but a machine is just a machine. It can't stick a thing in your chest to make you...one of them, essentially. It just kills you, clean and easy.

"If they know we're here then rushing will get us into a trap faster. Let's keep a low profile until we take out those guns."

stay the course

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Sergeant Hammond Tucker

Great, just great. In hindsight the cleverness of the enemy machine spirits shouldn't have been a surprise. They already knew there was serious tech-heresy afoot, after all. But that didn't make the revelation any less unpleasant.

"Indeed. We should stick with the stealthy approach."

Keep on sneakin'

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013


Salvus Weber

As the tank came into view, Salvus unslung his missile launcher, and gestured to Darrien to begin rangefinding. With a moment's thought, he slung it back over his shoulder; however tempting an opportunity a Chimera still carrying its full passenger complement was, destroying it would light up their position for the whole valley to see.

"No argument here. Let's keep our heads down."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Linara Lyhte

Linara frowns at this news and agrees with the rest of the squad.

"I say we let them pass for now. We don't want to alarm the compound by their absence."

Sorry for the delay, dissertation proposal time and a whole flock of lower-classmen to shepherd through the process. Back now though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

The squad decide to move forward in as stealthy a manner as possible. Luckily, they have some rather skilled scouts in the group, and Jose and Linara propose that they could actually move ahead in the tracks left behind by the enemy Chimera. The show will be disturbed enough to hide their tracks, so if the mutant fiends follow the squad's current tracks, they would just seem to vanish here.

Using the Chimera tracks to hide their own tracks, the squad is able to make much better time at moving forward than they had previously. If the mutants that passed them by discover their tracks the squad doesn't know. They don't hear the mutants or any other sounds until they get closer to the Green Moose Resort.



Rounding a small hill, they see the resort from the southwest corner. It appears the insurrectionists have left the resort mainly intact. The resort consists of Three seven story hotel-like structures. From this direction they can see that the enemy has moved various makeshift barricades in between the buildings, filling the gap with large cargo-8 vehicles with trenches dug into the front of the barricades. Indeed, they seem to have encircled the entire resort with one large trench system. Many of the outward facing windows on the lower levels have all been boarded and sandbagged up, making it hard to enter.

At this distance, about 500 meters enemies can be seen standing guard at the various doors that used to allow guests to leave the resort. More guards can be seen patrolling around the top of the trench. There are more behind sandbag barriers on the roofs of the buildings on the corners. Also on the roofs can be seen some large AA guns.

The forests between the tree line and building are cleared. Approach would be perilous, as the squad would be in the open for nearly 500 meters. Behind them the chimera tracks continue off towards the main road, where they likely go off towards the unseen main roadway entrance.

The squad must decide if they move in now, or keep doing recon. Given the enemy knows they are here, time is not on your side, but the element of surprise is. Once lost, the squad will likely be overwhelmed by enemy fire. With three AA guns (one on each roof) and the only way up through dangerous CQB combat in the hotel, the squad faces a tough decision on how to proceed.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply