Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
  • Locked thread
professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Linara Lyhte

"drat it," Linara says as she looks through the magnoculars. There isn't an easy way in, the emplacements are well distributed, a total clusterfuck. She passes the magnoculars over to the next person in line, hunkering back down in thought.

"I don't know sarge, cracking that is a tough one. We could bypass this for now, maybe leave some false trails for these heretics to chase around out here. Get them riled up and think we're preparing to attack the structure here and move onto the primary objective. Or we could just try to stay low and get past as best we can, hopefully they'd settle down and we can catch them off guard. Regardless though, I don't think we have the firepower or positioning to take on these towers."

She thinks for a moment, then asks, "Maybe we should consider an alternate exfiltration plan once we see the primary objective. If we can scale the mountains out the back way and get to where those guns can't see us?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Josephina

"That'd be a hell of a long way to go under fire if they find us. We'd need to make sure those guns are gone to be safe. Best to just split into teams and try to rig them and get out ASAP."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Sergeant Hammond Tucker

"One way or the other, there's going to be trouble. We'll have a hell of a time getting up to those guns without being seen. It's probably not even possible. So, if we push the guns and take them out now, we need to find their main transmission tower and drop our static generator next to it. Then we'll have to move fast, destroy all the guns, and get out of this compound before the patrols that are looking for us come back and hem us in. At any point in that plan, if they get off anything like flares, sirens, even an Emperor-damned runner, we're dead. But if we bypass, we won't be able to call for aerial exfil and we'll never get a hostage out on foot, so that ruins our chances of taking the heretek alive. Unless... let me think..."

Tucker trails off and thinks. How much fuel would the Feather have? Could they hit the guns, then call in Mercedes and use the ship to perform a hot drop on the dam before the enemy could bring their full force down on the hotel?

Plan suggestion to continue based on GM feedback on whether or not my really bad idea here would work.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Toot Toot I'm A Boot


Jayne Canton

Jayne joins the pondering circle.

"Can we circle around and come at the resort from the lakeside? Or even from the lake? It'll be chilly but we've got synskin on, that's gotta be as good as a wetsuit, right? When we were looking at the building plans did anyone see how the resort draws water from the lake? Might be a way in underwater."

Navigate (Surface) TN 28: 1d100 14

Hell yeah, if there's a way in underwater Jayne remembers it

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013




Salvus Weber

"I do have a rocket launcher, sir. We don't need to infiltrate to take them out. Blowing them up now would call the whole valley down on us, but once we've handled the facility up north, we could swing back to take them out. If we take a prisoner, we'd only have to get him to a good firing position before we exfiltrate. If we go with that, though, we'd need to scrounge up some more krak missiles - I've only got four shots."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Tucker races through his mind as it relates to the fuel on the Feather. While no mechanic, he did remember Mercedes saying that they would be able to provide air support once the guns were down. That'd mean coming by and strafing the target with that door mounted heavy stubber, or likely also picking them up. The sarge would just need to decide on if they should be picked up on a roof or elsewhere, plus wait for the feather to come once the transponder is flipped.

Jayne closes her eyes and does her best to try and remember the satellite surveillance they had all seen. She thinks she remembers seeing some sort of water pipe near the lake. However, since human sized scale is hard to determine from that old photo, she doesn't know if the pipe is large enough to fit someone, and if it is, what the internal piping system might look like. Could be the pipe leads to an internal reservoir, could be a sewage outflow and a bunch of one inch pipes just intersect with it. Only way to know is to go in, if someone can.

Jayne does recall seeing some sort of water/sewer pipe, but it would need investigation.

If the guns were taken down, the dropship could come pick you up, or just provide general air support. Since they are currently powered down outside the valley, it would take about 10 minutes from transponder activation for them to get here.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Linara Lyhte

"I can go looking around if you want. I can stay out of sight, see if there is an entrance that way. If we can infiltrate in and set up something to take down one or two of the guns, and Weber can get the third, we might be able to shock and awe them. Do we want to do that now though? Or try to set something up for when we need to leave?,"


To go ahead and look around, I'll do a stealth check to see if I can find that underwater entrance.
Stealth Check:
Stealth (40 + 20(stealth) + 10(terrain master) + 20(cloak) = TN90: 1d100 88

ewwww Reroll:
Stealth Reroll = TN90: 1d100 59 = 4 Degrees of Success

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Linara starts to make her way down to the small lake in the center of the valley, hoping against hope she will find some sort of water pipe, hopefully an intake and not a waste pipe. As she makes her way to the shore, she stays in the tree line as long as she can, but ultimately the last 50 meters to the shore is wide open. She gets on her tummy and begins to crawl, and after only a couple meters, she encounters a small mound in the dirt. Gently wiping the dirt away, she sees the unmistakable shape of a landmine. Avoiding the land mines takes extra time, and about 45 minutes later she arrives at the shore.

She does indeed find a pipe leading from the resort to the lake. However a few things are apparent. First, water is flowing from the pipe, and a strong ammonia smell tells Linara this is likely a waste water pipe. Secondly, the pipe has vertical bars built into the end, likely to stop exactly what is about to happen, someone crawling in there. Lastly, the pipe is not that big, only maybe a meter in diameter. That'll mean crawling through, and they would need to take off their grave chutes at the least, and she doesn't know how Weber would get his launcher in there.

Meanwhile, as Linara is off scouting, the rest of the group maintains their position at the southwest corner of the hotel. Jayne is looking back in the direction they came with her goggles on, when she sees a near blinding flash of light in the darkness. Everyone else turns to see a light flare in the sky in the direction they came from, the burning projectile slowly falling to earth on a small parachute. That likely means their pursuers have found their trail.

Okay, you have found a sewer discharge pipe. You'll need to somehow cut/blow your way past the steel bar grate on the end, and moving through it will be tight; almost Bishop in Aliens tight.

While waiting your pursuers have found your trail. They'll now follow it, and the flare has given the resort a heads up that someone did indeed land. Your window of surprise is shrinking.

Hope that when the mutants catch up to where you decided to walk in the Chimera tracks none of them are bright enough to figure that out.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Sergeant Hammond Tucker

Tucker grimaces. "Alright, we're out of time. Do we push on the hotel directly or do we try to get into that pipe? Every second further that we wait compromises our chances of pulling off a lightning strike on those guns, and that's the only way I see to even have a chance at taking our target alive and getting out of here. My vote is for a more direct assault. Thoughts?"

oops I thought I posted in here, sorry

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Linara Lyhte

"The water system is possible, but it'll take time. I've also found mines scattered about - luckily this one hasn't been too covered. I agree that direct assault is the option at this time - I can start shooting from my position and cause a ruckus, get them looking over here while you guys deliver some high explosives into those guns. I shoot and fade, you deliver the knockout punch."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Josephina

"I like it. But can you hold here while we get into position? They're already getting pretty busy. We don't have much time."

Voting for going through the pipes.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013




Salvus Weber

"The way I see it is, once we start shooting, the patrol behind us are going to mount up and head straight for the hotel. So unless we can sweep straight through and deal with any resistance before they get here, we're going to end up being shot at from the front and the back, and without a scrap of good cover in between. The regular Guard have the numbers to handle a meatgrinder like that, but we're only a 12-man squad, and we've still got our mission ahead of us once we've taken out the AA. So I vote for going in through the sewers.

As for my missile launcher... I reckon I might be able to take it in with me, if anyone's got any spare rope, or something I can use to tie it to me. If I take the rear, I can drag it behind me. I'll have to cut it loose if it gets too narrow, or there's a tight bend, but it's worth a shot."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!



Linara Lyhte

"You'd have to cross the minefield I did to get to this pipe, and that took nearly an hour to do without getting spotted. I can try to lead them on a merry little chase away from the hotel, give the squad enough time to take out the anti-air guns. Once you do that, I can call for some air support if things get too hot for us out here. If we can slip away without that we'll rendezvous at the target facility. I... think we can do this sarge, and I don't see a better plan for you."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

The team goes back and forth in part on the vox and in part in person, trying to decide on their path. It seemed most of the squad was in favor of braving the pipe, hoping it wouldn't end in a dead end. The squad follow their way to the crossing Linara took. Skilled at scouting and on standard mine field detection and marking, Linara had left small markers consisting of pages of the uplifting infantryman's primer to mark the safe path. With that bread crumb trail the squad is able to make their way through the minefield somewhat quicker than the scout did initially.

Once at the drainage pipe, a quick assessment seems to confirm that there is a pipe, just barely bigger than your average man, leading out to the lake. The grate on the end actually is designed for some sort of ingress or egress, as it has a padlock on it. It takes Jose just a minute using a pin and small screwdriver to jimmy the padlock, designed mostly to be an impediment to any children dumb enough to try and climb into the culvert, but not as top notch security. Unable to take their grav chutes with them, the squad leaves them at the end of the discharge pipe. Webber takes up the rear, pushing his launcher in front of him. The squad spends a horrid half an hour crawling in the pipe. It certainly is an active sewage discharge pipe, and the squad has to contend with a constant trickle of fetid water right by their faces as they go.

Eventually, the pipe terminates in some sort of septic tank/grease trap, The tank is large, able to house the whole squad, though everyone is packed in tighter than in a Chimera, and everyone is ankle deep in waste. There is a small service grate in one corner of the trap. The grate is quickly undone and the scouts climb out. The room above the tank is a little bigger than the tank, but it has two over-flowing and long neglected dumpsters in it, meaning only about four soldiers can fit. There are two doors, one, big enough for a dumpster to go through, they think likely leads outside. The other door leads into the rest of the main resort building. The door is quickly cracked. They see a hallway. Directly across the hall is a swinging double door with the word "kitchen" on it. There are doors on the left and the right that are unmarked. The hallway goes in either direction before turning a corner.

Voices can be heard not far away.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Sergeant Hammond Tucker

The worst part of the crawl had been the realization that the smell might give them away in the future. Nothing for it now, of course. Once the squad is inside, Tucker draws his knife and pistol, then taps his stummer and starts moving cautiously down the hall, shadowed by Vin. He mouths the old Terran prayer of stealth as he goes: Thou sure and firm-set earth, hear not my steps, which way they walk, for fear the very stones prate of my whereabout..

He pauses to listen at each door. If there are no sounds behind it, he moves on. If there are voices, he sounds the number and waits for the others to catch up.

Stealth vs 71 (41 -20 Untrained +20 Cloak +30 Stummer): 21 And the guy who somehow is in charge of the elite deep-strike team and yet has no stealth training blows the actual stealthy person out of the water somehow. Must've been a creaky board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013




Salvus Weber

Following Sergeant Tucker, and drawing my Hotshot Lasgun.

Stealth check vs 60 = 40 (base) + 20 (Cloak): 1d100 10

  • Locked thread
«5 »