Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Linara starts by scouting out a perimeter around the bunker and searching for any hidden passages, listening devices, bombs or other shenanigans. The better part of an hour is spent securing the home bunker, before she feels satisfied enough to set her gear down. That's when the mental calculus starts. She has a bit more time before the mission briefing, and there was still equipment that the squad needs. She needs a medikit for sure, hopefully that won't be too difficult to get before the mission began...

The market would have been a promising place to start... if not for how terrifyingly insecure it is. Instead, Linara opts for making the rounds at the Munitorum Depot, examining the equipment and trying to strike a sight in her elite Osprey duds. She introduces herself to the Supply Sergeant, as well. It always pays for the person with the dataslate to know your name, and hopefully your reputation.

By the time the briefing time was near Linara thinks she has a good lead on a few acquisitions, but puts that aside in her mind. The brass wants to talk at them, and that always takes priority. She salutes with everyone else when they approach the general, and stands at attention during the briefing. It seems a logical enough plan, as far as these sorts of suicide missions went, but she wasn't keen on having to slide up a defended mountain. That would take time...

She gives a small smirk when the baby-bird chirps up. Plan for success, prepare for failure. A good head on that one's shoulders. She does note the path and apparent vehicle storage area, and leans over to Abe and Josephina, asking softly "Think you could drive us down off that deathtrap in whatever is in that garage?"

Later
I wanted to do these rolls for Commerce before the logistics rolls

When the briefing was over Linara accompanies Sergeant Tucker to the Munitorum Depot. While there, she makes a point to state that the mission they were embarking on were direct orders from the Lord General himself, deemed vital to the success of the entire campaign. She tries to leverage the in-person briefing from the top commander they had just arrived from along with the Osprey reputation to try and make sure that their equipment was handed over with no issues. And maybe the Supply Sergeant would slip something else along to make sure they were successful...

Going to make a commerce roll to give our Sarge a bonus on the mission gear roll. This is a Commerce test opposed by Commerce or Willpower from whoever is in charge of giving us our Mission Assignment gear I would assume .
Commerce to make Mission Gear logistics test easier (Opposed, scored 4 degrees of success)
Commerce (Mission Gear) (TN 41): 1d100 6 4 Degrees of Success

I also rolled a commerce/acquisition pair for a medikit, which succeeds in the end I think.

Commerce to make the Medikit Easier (Failure)
Commerce (Medikit) TN41: 1d100 93 6 Degrees of Failure

Acquisition Test for a Medikit (Success)
Medikit Acquisition (TN35): 1d100 15 3 Degrees of Success
Acquired a Medikit?

pre:
Name       Linara Lyhte
Homeworld  Elysia
Regiment   Ospreys
Role       Medic
Role       Scout
Demeanor   Obsessive 

Cur.Wounds 10
Wounds     10
Cur. Fate  1
Fate       1

Fatigue    
Insanity   1
Corruption 

Armour 
Head   5
Larm   5
Rarm   5
Body   5
Lleg   5
Rleg   5

WS  28 = 28 + 
BS  34 = 34 + 
S   29 = 29 + 
T   40 = 37 + 3
Ag  40 = 32 + 3 + 5
Int 41 = 36 + 5
Per 37 = 32 + 5 
WP  35 = 32 + 3
Fel 25 = 28 - 3

Aptitudes:

Medic
Ballistic Skill, Fieldcraft, Intelligence, Knowledge, Perception, Willpower

Scout
Agility, Fieldcraft, Strength, Perception, Offence, Weapon Skill

XP spent   4000
XP unspent 0
XP total   4000

Skills: 

Awareness +30
Commerce 
Common Lore (Imperial Creed)
Common Lore (Imperium)
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Medicae +20
Operate (Aeronautica)
Scholastic Lore (Chymistry)
Stealth +20
Survival
Trade (Chymist)

Talents:

Drop Trooper
Jaded
Paranoia 
Quick Draw
Stealth Sniper
Sure Strike
Terrain Expert
Weapon Training (Las)
Weapon Training (Low-Tech)

Special:
-Blessed Ignorance:
-Close Quarters battle:
-Covert Strike:
-The Few:

Gear:
One lascarbine w/Compact and four charge packs 
Two frag grenades and two smoke grenades
One Mono knife
One suit of Light Carapace armor
One respirator 
One grav-chute
One suit of Synskin 
One set of preysense goggle 
Chamoleoline cloak
Magnoculars
One Best Quality Mono-Knife
Medikit?

Favored Basic Weapon: Hotshot Lasgun
Favored Heavy Weapon: Missile Launcher

XP Log: 4000
Medicae +10 (200)
Medicae +20 (300)
Awareness (100)
Awareness +10 (200)
Awareness +20 (300)
Awareness +30 (400)
Survival (100)
Commerce (100) 
Per +5 (100)
Paranoia (300)
Stealth (100)
Stealth +10 (200)
Stealth +20 (300)
Stealth Sniper (300)
Agi +5 (250)
Terrain Expert (300)
Drop Trooper (300)

Characteristics: 9#2d10+20 36 32 28 25 37 34 28 32 29
Reroll 25: 2d10+20 32
Wounds: 1d5+8 10
Fate Roll: 1d10 3

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

"I think I can handle the clearing jump. I'm less confident about scaling the cliff face..." she looks over at Josephina, "I could try to... haggle some extra charges for us. However I'm not confident that we're going to get anything..."

Commerce (Demo-Charges) TN41: 1d100 69 3 DoF. Theoretically, the other guy could fail by more...

Logistics (Demo-Charges) TN15: 1d100 87 I think we're just going to have to improvise

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Linara checks her gravchut twice before slinging it on, and securing the rest of her kit in a drop harness. It wasn't an easy drop, but it could be worse. Oddly, her nerves disappear as soon as she takes her spot on the dropship. Other people hated the flight and the jumping, but this was the best part for Linara. No traps, no ambushes, just the pilots against their flak. All she could do to affect that balance was pray - the lack of responsibility was freeing. As the stealthship takes flight, she starts humming a tune, eventually singing quietly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H86l4BP5g5U
Put on your Boots, Boots, Boots and gravachutes, chutes, chutes, we're going up, up, up and coming down, down, down/

We're All Elysian and proud to be, for we're the soldiers of humanity, some fly their valk'ries to the enemy others are sky paratroopers/

We're All Elysian and fight we will, till all the guns of the foe are still/

Airborne from skies of blue, we're coming through, Let's Go/

Put on your boots and gravachutes, get all those valk'ries ready to attack today/

For we'll be gone, into the dawn, to fight them all the Osprey Way, Hey Hey/

Put on your Boots, Boots, Boots and gravachutes, chutes, chutes, we're going up, up, up and coming down, down, down/

We're All Elysian and proud to be, for we're the soldiers of humanity, some fly their gliders to the enemy others are sky paratroopers/

We're All Elysian and fight we will, till all the guns of the foe are still/

Airborne from skies of blue, we're coming through, Let's Go

Operate Aeronautica (Drop Troop TN 60): 1d100 94

Fate Point reroll

Re-roll Aeronautica (Drop Troop TN 60): 1d100 25

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

"...gently caress"

Also moving to the cliff and trying to find a way up. Can I sneak up the cliffside somehow?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Linara Lyhte

"I'm already gone. Lets try to get set up to find our boy."

Linara and Ordo quickly start scaling the cliffs, hugging the rock and almost dissapearing into the cliff face as they move up to get a good line on the compound, and hopefully set up to save their comrade.

Stealth (40 + 20(stealth) + 10(terrain master) + 20(cloak) = TN90: 1d100 3

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 4, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I vote I instagib the stubber guy and just start making GBS threads out suppression fire everywhere.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Linara is a shadow, barely a rustle of wind as she leads her partner through the base. Quickly she spots a tower with a machine gun at the top. She hated being shot at by machine guns - so many bullets, so many chances to die. Primary target number one. She made a hand motion to Ordo - up the tower, steal the machine gun, shoot it at things instead. She had to improvise the last part, but Ordo was used to her idiosyncrasies enough to get the idea.

She waits for their chance. The locals seemed alert - but not alert enough. They were above average for your regular puddies - one of them was even looking up. Fortunately, he wasn't looking up at them as they scaled the tower. Her knifework wasn't excellent - but with complete surprise, it didn't need to be. Between her and Ordo the stubber crew was down in a flash. She looked down at their fallen comrade and waited for the signal, then she hopped up onto the gun and swing it around at the small crowd,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSsz2tJl8rg&t=15s

Alright, I'll start this off with a sweep of Suppressing Fire on the crowd around our boy. I'll try not to shoot him.
suppressing fire jams: 1d100 62
I don't score any hits, but the gun doesn't jam... yet.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 12, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Seeing the initial chaos Linara pulls down her preysense goggles and has Ordo hand up a lasgun to her, which she instinctively flips onto maximum overdrive and starts letting loose into the crowd below.

[i]Semi-auto maximum settings into the horde/squad.
Shooting at mob of guys (TN34): 1d100 7
3 Degrees of Success, so two hits into the mob of guys.
Damage (1d10+4 Pen2): 2#1d10+4 12 6
I'll replace the two I rolled with 3 degrees of success so the total damage is 12 and 7, pen 2 into the mob.
22 shots left

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 18, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Even from their high perch, the chaos going on below makes it risky to continue firing into the melee. Moreover, there is a prickling on the back of Linara's neck, a growing paranoia that forces here to grab the stubber with Ordo and swing it around the area, scanning everywhere for sight, sound or sign of approaching enemy reinforcements, stubber at the ready on a hair trigger to unleash a hail of lead on anything approaching them...

I'll make an awareness test from my elevated position/preysense goggles to pick out any approaching enemy forces attracted by the gunfire and explosions.
Awareness (37 + 30 = TN67): 1d100 17 6 Degrees of Success

Assuming that isn't my whole turn and I spot enemies approaching I'll start shooting suppressing fire at them.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Salma continues to act as a lookout for approaching enemies as the others discuss what is going on, maintaining a 360 degree rotation along with Ordo. She is looking and listening for signs of enemy movement, particularly from the path up toward the facility and from inside the facility itself. She is also searching the surrounds for potential signs of their lost comrade.

Linara continues to be lookout from the watchtower. I also have Preysense goggles and magnoculars that I will be using.
Awareness (37 + 30 = TN67): 1d100 45
3 Degrees of Success

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

We already killed him, after we took down the Werix decided combat would just be over so we could move on instead of a whole new initiative cycle. We're back in narrative time.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Linara stares at the poster, feeling a draw to it... she felt an urge to stop the sarge when he starts advancing on it to destroy it, but catches that feeling quick. You never questioned the sarge... and that poster was evil. She instinctively felt like prey, like there was something watching her and she skitters away from the poster into the shadows, trying to hide from that eye that seemed to be following her. She tries to put it out of mind, finding a good hiding spot to keep a lookout for approaching enemies...

Willpower +20 (TN 55): 1d100 70 +1 Insanity

Linara will find a hiding spot to keep watch for new enemy contacts approaching.

Stealth Roll:
Stealth (40 + 20(stealth) + 10(terrain master) + 20(cloak) = TN90: 1d100 52 4 degrees of success

Awareness Roll:
Keeping Watch(Awareness TN 67): 1d100 22 5 degrees of success

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Linara Lyhte

Linara and Ordo continue watching the roads leading down the mountain and the surrounding area for signs that their location here is known.

If someone can give you an assist that will still work, I think someone else has tech-use

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Once the order comes up Linara will pull back from sentry duty and begin treating the wounded. She starts with Tucker, but she can't do too much for a massive, gaping chest wound from an angry Ogryn.

Abe for his part gets a new splint on his leg, that should take most of the limp out of his step for now. Tandem also gets some basic treatment, but he's not doing so hot.

Tucker First Aid Roll:
Medicae (TN 41 + 20 + 20) = 81: 1d100 88
No healing for you.

Abe First Aid Roll:
Medicae Abe (TN 41 + 20 + 20 - 30) = 51: 1d100 37 2 degrees of success
Abe heals 4 + 2 = 6 points of wounds, removing crit first.

Oh right Tandem first aid roll
Medicae Abe (TN 41 + 20 + 20 - 10) = 71: 1d100 70
He'll be healed in 6 days.

Is there anyone else?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

"Can we try to get one of the bombers to do another run? Even if it just kicks up dust, all the better to hide our attack."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Linara looks over at the pass and also gives a suggestion, "I could also try to sneak up as many rows as I can. I might be able to take someone with me, might get close enough to throw grenades at them."

Initiative (1d10 + 4): 1d10+4 5

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Linara glances back and gives a thumbs up before motion to Ordo. They both do a roll from behind the Dragon's teeth and begin to move up, attempting to make it as far forward as possible to get into grenade range of the pillbox in front of them, but although the enemy can't clearly see the sly medic the sheer amount of firepower coming down at them still prevents forward motion from random shots pinging all over the area.

I'm going to roll Stealth to try and move up without getting shot at as far as I can. If I can run-stealth I'd like to try that. Linara's plan is to get close enough to throw grenades into the pillbox because she isn't a great shot. Does anyone have some heavier explosives she could have grabbed on the way to increase the payload if she/ordo makes it up to the pillbox without dying?
Stealth (40 + 20(stealth) + 10(terrain master) + 20(cloak) + 10(Synskin)= TN90: 1d100 7 8 Degrees of Success

EDIT: Pinning test failed Pinning -30: 1d100 62

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 18, 2018

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Linara manages not to fidget as the medal is presented to her. In hindsight it was suicidal, but in the moment it had seemed such an obvious choice. Still, it made her proud to be recognized along with her squadmates. Once the ceremony was over the medic would follow along with Josephina, learning more advanced techniques of taking down unwary foes. However whereas the baby-bird learned the art of swordplay, Linara focuses on learning from the Cadian scouts that she could find, attempting to master the ability to move without being seen and strike suddenly, without warning. Taking on the gun positions was a fluke, a happy accident - next time, it would be all according to plan.

Linara will spend time improving her pilot/jumping skills, becoming more sneaky as a scout and learning how to get out of the way of the hurty-things.
Stealth +30 (400)
Silent Ambush (Scout) (400)

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Doesn't interfere with me at all

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Linara just about manages to keep from fidgeting throughout the briefing, but eventually she does start tapping her fingers against her side as something nags at her. This seems like a good plan, but also just about the same plan as last time. Eventually she can't ignore the paranoia building in the back of her mind and asks about her concerns,

"We had the element of surprise last time. That drat poster was watching us. If 'we're already made then we need to do something that they haven't seen us do before - land based infiltration seems like a good bet, but we need to know if they are expecting our sort of operation now."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Linara will mull things over in her mind, but ultimately doesn't know which one would be superior, "I don't like pulling the same trick twice, especially if all of that tech and heresy somehow got word out that gravtroops are in theater. They are likely to be on high alert... But they may have all their eyes on the sky. On the other hand sneaking around that checkpoint could be trouble. Given the options I would rather infiltrate on foot or drop directly onto the compound."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

Linara frowns at this news and agrees with the rest of the squad.

"I say we let them pass for now. We don't want to alarm the compound by their absence."

Sorry for the delay, dissertation proposal time and a whole flock of lower-classmen to shepherd through the process. Back now though!

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

"drat it," Linara says as she looks through the magnoculars. There isn't an easy way in, the emplacements are well distributed, a total clusterfuck. She passes the magnoculars over to the next person in line, hunkering back down in thought.

"I don't know sarge, cracking that is a tough one. We could bypass this for now, maybe leave some false trails for these heretics to chase around out here. Get them riled up and think we're preparing to attack the structure here and move onto the primary objective. Or we could just try to stay low and get past as best we can, hopefully they'd settle down and we can catch them off guard. Regardless though, I don't think we have the firepower or positioning to take on these towers."

She thinks for a moment, then asks, "Maybe we should consider an alternate exfiltration plan once we see the primary objective. If we can scale the mountains out the back way and get to where those guns can't see us?"

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

"I can go looking around if you want. I can stay out of sight, see if there is an entrance that way. If we can infiltrate in and set up something to take down one or two of the guns, and Weber can get the third, we might be able to shock and awe them. Do we want to do that now though? Or try to set something up for when we need to leave?,"

To go ahead and look around, I'll do a stealth check to see if I can find that underwater entrance.
Stealth Check:
Stealth (40 + 20(stealth) + 10(terrain master) + 20(cloak) = TN90: 1d100 88

ewwww Reroll:
Stealth Reroll = TN90: 1d100 59 = 4 Degrees of Success

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

"The water system is possible, but it'll take time. I've also found mines scattered about - luckily this one hasn't been too covered. I agree that direct assault is the option at this time - I can start shooting from my position and cause a ruckus, get them looking over here while you guys deliver some high explosives into those guns. I shoot and fade, you deliver the knockout punch."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Linara Lyhte

"You'd have to cross the minefield I did to get to this pipe, and that took nearly an hour to do without getting spotted. I can try to lead them on a merry little chase away from the hotel, give the squad enough time to take out the anti-air guns. Once you do that, I can call for some air support if things get too hot for us out here. If we can slip away without that we'll rendezvous at the target facility. I... think we can do this sarge, and I don't see a better plan for you."

• Locked thread