Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-40975399

quote:

"It's an informal lingua franca. It is a language that really unites people and cuts across all sorts of barriers - ethnic, regional and socio-economic," says Bilkisu Labaran, editorial lead of the new BBC service.

quote:

The corporation says the new digital service will also aim to serve a younger audience and women with social media playing a key role.

What are your thoughts on it? Is it better to have a simpler form of English for a certain demographic, or will it cause a difficult language barrier in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
no eat le popo

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

call me when they offer a service in a real language like klingon or french

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Peanut President posted:

call me when they offer a service in a real language like klingon or french

That's actually one of the criticisms. They're upset that there is no Korean service, but they went straight to Pidgin.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Nobody writes or reads in these types of spoken patois. My guess is that most Guinea Coast Creole speakers would have a more difficult time understanding the articles than if they were in standard English

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
You'd have to be a dumbass to be upset by this.

"Oh no the BBC is going to broadcast in a widely-used trade language to reach out to another audience!"

seriously if you care about this at all I suspect you are either wholly ignorant of linguistics or are a closet racist

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Over There posted:

That's actually one of the criticisms. They're upset that there is no Korean service, but they went straight to Pidgin.

?

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

it seems fine to provide the news in a readable format

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im all for preserving languages in archives but if they fall out of actual use the world is all the easier to communicate in for it. i would rather these lesser used languages and dialects just give up

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Misread the article. Says Korean is going to be added.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/media/bbc-is-right-to-launch-pidgin-language-service-as-part-of-global-expansion/

quote:

So while a Foreign Office grant of £289m to the BBC to develop a dozen new language services from Korean to Amharic and Telugu might be seen as an extravagance by those who think the money would be better spent closer to home, I think it will be a sound investment.

The Korean service is long overdue

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Someone post an example of pidgin please

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

unpacked robinhood posted:

Ghana import 30 million condoms but dem no use am

Mr Cosmos Ohene-Adjei wey be di acting Director of Technical Services for Ghana AIDS Commission say him dey wonder why people no too dey use protection upon all di condom wey dey enter di country every year.

Mr Adjei talk say dis one go scatter all di things wey di country don plan to make sure say people no spread di disease and cases of new HIV no go dey again.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

unpacked robinhood posted:

Screenshot but this is what my friend sent me. Someone else will have a better one.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
holy poo poo no. no way do i want that supported and perpetuated to further generations instead of diminishing from one generation to the next until it dies peacefully in its sleep

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
It is NOT ok to laugh at the BBC article about dem no use dey condom. It is very racist to laugh at it.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
FYAD: dem no use dey condom

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

walgreenslatino posted:

FYAD: dem no use dey condom

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

walgreenslatino posted:

It is NOT ok to laugh at the BBC article about dem no use dey condom. It is very racist to laugh at it.

:hai: dem dey no laugh at pidgin

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Number 1 pidgin article:

"Why dem dey call Hurricane human being name"

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/world-41072267

North Korea don threaten Japan with missile

quote:

Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe don call dis one serious threat against im country. Im say im don follow President Donald Trump talk and im say both of dem gree say dem must increase pressure on top North Korea head

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

This is great

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Indian woman divorce husband because dem no get toilet

quote:

One woman for India don get permission from court to divorce her husband because im no gree build toilet for dem house...

The woman wey dey for her 20's don dey married to her husband for five years, but na for inside bush she dey poopoo.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

quote:

Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe don call dis one serious threat against im country. Im say im don follow

Im is both my, me and I
lol

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Holy gently caress lol

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

holy poo poo no. no way do i want that supported and perpetuated to further generations instead of diminishing from one generation to the next until it dies peacefully in its sleep

imo safe sex should NOT be abolished

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

I don't have much of an opinion on pidgin (though my preference generally would be for cultural decolonisation) but standard English in Africa can be quite colourful in its own right. Just gis red pepper headline.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

I an I tink dis a great

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

These people who were forced to trade in English don't speak the Queen's English.

Hilarious.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

funny that the very first reply was completely accurate

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Over There posted:

Holy gently caress lol

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

"…people for Nigeria no dey happy with di economy. If we fit find anybodi wey dey happy with di economy, na di politicians dem," dis na wetin Professor of Econometrics and Financial Economy, Ayodele Momodu, tell BBC News Pidgin.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Over There posted:

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/world-41072267

North Korea don threaten Japan with missile
I'm laughing at 1. not having a translation for "increase pressure" and 2. sticking to the journalism cliche of "top North Korea head."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You can put it in a completely different language, but that journalism school training is sure hard to beat.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

Share dis tori E wan begin to share

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Every time they have to write something in original English I hear it in a robot voice.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Joel Osteen na Pastor of Lakewood Church, wey im papa open since di 1950s.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

FactsAreUseless posted:

Every time they have to write something in original English I hear it in a robot voice.

Yes. That generic voice you hear when calling a 1-800 number. "For English please press....1."

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Rename me to wey im papa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Why Ghana dey launch satellite for space

Ghana go join di league of nations wey dey occupy di heavens today as president, Nana Akufo-Addo, go launch first satellite dish into space.

Professor Adomako also talk say di launch of this satellite dish go help build tourism for Ghana as scientists from all over di world go wan come see how di satellite dey work.

NASA tourist: "how di satellite dey work papa ??"

• Locked thread