Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

They kind of have to or you get a telletale the walking dead thing where you have like 4 different endings and none of them matter because everyone has to be on the same starting page.

I could sort of see a sequel following the Sacrifice the Bay ending but I'm not sure how you'd continue on from Sacrifice Chloe as in that timeline about 90% of the game's plot technically never happened.

Kind of a missed opportunity there to be honest. Considering that apparently letting Chloe get shot by Nathan somehow solves all of the problems presented by the story they should have given players an option (at least on a second playthrough) to just do nothing during the bathroom scene, ending the game in Episode 1.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

I could sort of see a sequel following the Sacrifice the Bay ending but I'm not sure how you'd continue on from Sacrifice Chloe as in that timeline about 90% of the game's plot technically never happened.

Kind of a missed opportunity there to be honest, considering that apparently letting Chloe get shot by Nathan somehow solves all of the problems presented by the story they should have given players an option (at least on a second playthrough) to just do nothing during the bathroom scene, ending the game in Episode 1.

Yeah, but Max at that point didn't know her powers were going to cause the storm, so her not using her newly-discovered powers to save Chloe wouldn't really make much sense. Plus that would have been a bit of a spoiler.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, but Max at that point didn't know her powers were going to cause the storm, so her not using her newly-discovered powers to save Chloe wouldn't really make much sense. Plus that would have been a bit of a spoiler.

To be fair, the game doesn't really give much proof that Max specifically caused the storm (In fact there's a few arguments against it such as Max having a vision of the storm before she even gets her powers and how the Prescotts seemed to know about it as well for some reason. I suppose you could write off the first point as a self-fulfilling prophecy though). Also, even in the alternate timelines where William lived and Max entered the photo contest we saw signs that the storm was still coming/already started. The only evidence in favor of it being Max's fault is that the storm never came in the Sacrifice Chloe timeline.

Warren just presents that as a theory and Max takes it at face value for lack of a better explanation and the fact that she's pretty much at the end of her rope at that point.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 7, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man I am hella enjoying this so far, even more than the original game. The dialogue is a lot more natural, I'm guessing because it wasn't written by French people this time.

The Backtalk thing is great but I don't know if I'd be able to resist the temptation to use my powers of Load Game to win every one of them. I'm only just now at school but I've managed to win all 3(?) of them so far, though I almost lost one during the D&D game.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Goddamn it Rachel

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/06/us/oregon-fire-teenager/index.html

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Not really, since they've explicitly stated that it's starting over with a new cast in a new setting. I think someone suggested that the most we'd see would be a photo by Max on a website/in a magazine as a reference, since she's guaranteed to survive both endings.

Although this does give me the excuse to share this:

No I'm agreeing with you just saying I rather them not touch on it at all because you can gently caress it up.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

quote:

I love Life Is Strange but the ending has always bothered me.

Max comes to the conclusion that her rewind power is responsible for the storm and only by undoing the changes she made can it be avoided. So she rewinds all the way back to the bathroom and stays hidden while Nathan accidentally kills Chloe. And here's why I'm scratching my head: by remaining hidden, isn't she changing the past yet again? Remember, her original untainted-by-the-knowledge-she-gained-from-time-travel reaction to hearing the gun fire was to jump out from behind the stall and try to save Chloe. She didn't know she could turn back time and find a way (heh) to change the outcome of the situation. That was her gut reaction. Something she did without the influence of any knowledge of the future.

Shouldn't returning to the bathroom and choosing not to do what she originally did count as messing with time? Part of me can't help thinking that what should have happened in the Save Arcadia Bay ending is this: in order to preserve the timeline, Max is forced to reveal her presence without rewinding so that the events in the bathroom can take their natural course. In this case, that means Nathan panics and shoots her too and the game ends with the two friends dying together in the bathroom. What do you think? Would that be better or worse than the ending we got?

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 7, 2017

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
the time travel is just a device to get across the T H E M E S, don't overthink it or you'll twist urself in knots

U can argue Max travelling back in time and letting Chloe die is her Coming of Age and accepting the End of the Friendship

Likewise u could argue Max killing Arcadia Bay is her coming 2 terms that her actions have consequences and travelling back and undoing everything & letting Nathan kill Chloe is her inability to grow up and own her choices (this is wrong)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the first time Max uses the Rewind is basically an accident. So therefore when she suddenly gets the opportunity to redo the events of course she would have tried to save Chloe (even if she didn't recognize that the girl in the bathroom was Chloe at the time). So I'm not sure why that particular event was the catalyst for the storm and not any of the other, bigger stuff she did willingly later on. It's basically punishing Max for something at the time she had no control over.

Plus there's also the fact that the Chloe in the bathroom had no knowledge of ever making any promise to sacrifice herself. To her, her best friend (hell, based on what we know about their relationship the two were practically siblings) had basically abandoned her for years without any contact, her home life is steadily getting worse and her most recent friend has suddenly vanished without a trace. She dies angry and alone, unaware of any of the events that transpired or that Max is even back in Arcadia Bay. The whole scenario just doesn't seem fair to either of them.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 7, 2017

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

quote:

the time travel is just a device to get across the T H E M E S, don't overthink it or you'll twist urself in knots

Heh. I guess you'd need to be a special kind of crazy to understand how time travel is supposed to work in just about any story. I don't know if you've played Ecco the Dolphin but that game's storyline? Woo!

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 7, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the first time Max uses the Rewind is basically an accident. So therefore when she suddenly gets the opportunity to redo the events of course she would have tried to save Chloe (even if she didn't recognize that the girl in the bathroom was Chloe at the time). So I'm not sure why that particular event was the catalyst for the storm and not any of the other, bigger stuff she did willingly later on. It's basically punishing Max for something at the time she had no control over.

Plus there's also the fact that the Chloe in the bathroom had no knowledge of ever making any promise to sacrifice herself. To her, her best friend (hell, based on what we know about their relationship the two were practically siblings) had basically abandoned her for years without any contact, her home life is steadily getting worse and her most recent friend has suddenly vanished without a trace. She dies angry and alone, unaware of any of the events that transpired or that Max is even back in Arcadia Bay. The whole scenario just doesn't seem fair to either of them.

We live in a cruel and often unfair world where bad things happen to good people without recourse or reason.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
So what you're saying is that life is...so unfair?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I get that that's probably what they were going for (life is unfair, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, etc.) it's just never really sat that well for me.

Not that the other route is much better mind you (the town is wiped out, the girls gently caress off to who knows where and they have to live with the fact that Max just indirectly committed genocide, not to mention the fact that she's at least partially responsible for killing Chloe's entire family). Like I've said before, there really is no good ending to Life is Strange (which kind of makes sense, it's a game about choices so naturally that means you have to accept the consequences from those decisions as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 7, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Eshettar posted:

So what you're saying is that life is...so unfair?

Maybe somebody who is more familiar with French can back me up on this, but the "strange" in Life is Strange feels like it has a more complex meaning than is perhaps communicated in the English sense of the word.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Larryb posted:

It would make more narrative sense if the universe's attempts to correct itself were reflected with less paranormal activity, but that would broadcast the ending way too easily so instead Jefferson can kill her and the storm still just keeps coming anyway.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
queer feels lead to the end of the universe, its pretty simple

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I always felt like Chloe was genuinely queer and Max was more of a confused LUA (lesbian until apocalypse)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

It would make more narrative sense if the universe's attempts to correct itself were reflected with less paranormal activity, but that would broadcast the ending way too easily so instead Jefferson can kill her and the storm still just keeps coming anyway.

The storm also comes in the timelines where William lives and Max wins the photo contest, getting Jefferson arrested in the process. So I don't really understand how letting Chloe die in the bathroom would suddenly stop it (plus there's evidence in the game that Nathan and his father seemed to know about the storm as well).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Larryb posted:

The storm also comes in the timelines where William lives and Max wins the photo contest, getting Jefferson arrested in the process. So I don't really understand how letting Chloe die in the bathroom would suddenly stop it (plus there's evidence in the game that Nathan and his father seemed to know about the storm as well).

Chloe IS the storm personified, in case this wasn't already obvious by the end of episode 1 it's driven home by Max having that flash forward vision right after Chloe says "I wanna drop a big loving bomb on this town"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Chloe IS the storm personified, in case this wasn't already obvious by the end of episode 1 it's driven home by Max having that flash forward vision right after Chloe says "I wanna drop a big loving bomb on this town"

Fair point, it's pretty clear from the beginning that the universe is out for her blood. Even in Before the Storm her spirit guide is a raven whose nature seems a lot more malicious than Max's doe (generally whenever it appears in the first episode something bad usually happens soon after). I'm just not sure why that particular death was enough to stop it and not one of the dozens of others she has over the course of the game (then again, Max undoes all of those so we don't know if they would have made a difference).

Hell, if the end of the first episode is to be taken at face value there are hints in the prequel that even Rachel might have had something to do with the storm as well (they're all to blame in some way, though in Max's case it's more of her being an enabler than anything else).

Sacrificing herself probably wouldn't have helped either as it's established by the game that Max's power literally will not let her die (whenever something like that happens in the game time immediately stops and you're forced to Rewind).

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
does the prequel help my theories that Alyssa is Lumpy Space Princess?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

does the prequel help my theories that Alyssa is Lumpy Space Princess?

So far the only confirmed returning characters in Before the Storm are Chloe, her parents, David, Frank, Wells, Victoria, Nathan and Max via text message and an as of yet unreleased bonus episode only available in the Deluxe edition. The only other character that would make sense to show up at some point is Jefferson but I don't think Chloe ever actually meets him in person until Life is Strange.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
There was a scrapped ending where Chloe gets shot, but she still survives, but the devs felt like it lessened the impact of your choices. It's a completely fair argument, but I'm honestly kind of done with depressing endings and would rather have the game end on a positive note.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

There was a scrapped ending where Chloe gets shot, but she still survives, but the devs felt like it lessened the impact of your choices. It's a completely fair argument, but I'm honestly kind of done with depressing endings and would rather have the game end on a positive note.

It ends at least on a positive note for Earth-1 Max, who has probably spent thousands of years in an endless timeloop trying to resolve the whole situation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It ends at least on a positive note for Earth-1 Max, who has probably spent thousands of years in an endless timeloop trying to resolve the whole situation.

There is a theory I kind of like that the old woman behind the diner is actually a time displaced Max and the line about her being there for 1000 years was literal (also the fact that she kind of looks like an aged up version of Max's character model) as well as others stating that the Max we play as over the course of the game isn't actually the original Max Caulfield and she's been through this whole rodeo a few times before. Not sure if it really works all that well but it is sort of interesting to think about.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I enjoyed the first game a whole lot, but I never felt a prequel was necessary. Would you say the game's worth picking up?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Renoistic posted:

I enjoyed the first game a whole lot, but I never felt a prequel was necessary. Would you say the game's worth picking up?

It's unnecessary and nothing really significant happens until the very end but it's still pretty fun overall (you get used to New Chloe pretty quickly though she never gets quite as good as Burch was, everybody else seems to have their old VA back though). I'd say either go for it or wait until at least the second episode drops to see if things pick up any.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Renoistic posted:

I'd say wait until you can get it all at once tbh, the first episode is neat, but almost entirely because you get to see these charcaters and the Arcadia Bay again. Literally almost nothing of actual importance happens in the entire first episode and there is only a vague understanding of what the plot of the overall prequal might be by the end.

That being said, I still liked episode 1.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Larryb posted:

There is a theory I kind of like that the old woman behind the diner is actually a time displaced Max and the line about her being there for 1000 years was literal (also the fact that she kind of looks like an aged up version of Max's character model) as well as others stating that the Max we play as over the course of the game isn't actually the original Max Caulfield and she's been through this whole rodeo a few times before. Not sure if it really works all that well but it is sort of interesting to think about.

There are lots of little things that support the multi-Max idea, such as her vision of the storm coming before she ever gets her rewind powers, coming out of that vision super disoriented like what we know happens when she photo jumps, using graffiti to send messages to her alt-timeline selves and how a lot of the graffiti surrounding Chloe says stuff like LET ME DIE and JUST GOTTA LET GO, that entire conversation she has with herself in the diner in episode 5. I don't think it requires a particualarly tortuous reading of Life is Strange to believe that Max is actually creating alternate timelines every time she photo jumps, and doing so has created countless fractured realities in her avoidance of the final decision to save Chloe or Arcadia Bay.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

For me, the entirety of Life is Strange is simply about growing up and learning to accept that it is impossible to always do the right thing or make the right decision, and ultimately you need to come to terms with that fact. The time control mechanic was just a means to an end to make this theme work and is not ultimately that important to what the game means to me.

This is done through a teenage girl version of a power fantasy where she literally can always do the same right thing and say the right stuff and make everything perfect. She literally goes from social pariah to someone with a lot of friends who is invited by the cool girls to the cool girl parties, but even then she just fucks everything up and makes things worse and ultimately has to come to terms that she just has to accept that life is s(hit)trange and live with the bad stuff.

I also don't think it is necessarily important how she got her powers, or even if max ever did actually have time powers or not. In the Chloe dies ending I feel like the purposefully leave out showing max use her powers in any capacity or not, and in my mind Max is just a sad girl trying to imagine a world where she could have possibly tried to save her childhood best friend who she watched die in front of her as she was powerlessly cowering in fear.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The original name for Life is Strange was "What If.." and while it's not a very good title, it does more strongly strike at what the developers wanted to instill in the player. Some people have problems with the ending but I didn't really, because I knew there wasn't going to be a happy waifu ending like many people apparently expected.

Also lol at how everyone forgets you could lead Max to be more romantically interested in Warren. That must be the most unpopular decision tree in any choice-based narrative ever. Poor Warren, cockblocked even by dead girls.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The only good choice is dunking on Warren at every opportunity.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
No Warrens Club

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You guys don't like going ape?

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
i admit that i kissed Warren, but I didnt like doing it!!!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
It just bothers me how pessimistic and nihlistic the ending seems to be. No matter what you do, life is just poo poo and people around you are going to die. There's no sense of moving on or coming to some sort of peace or understanding. You either watch your friend die or you run away knowing everyone else you've ever known (and reconnected with) died horribly and it may or may not be your fault. Considering how many people have said "Wow, I can really relate to the themes and topics that are brought up," basically going "It doesn't get better" is just depressing.

Fake Edit: Warren's a dork, but he's ultimately harmless. The true menace of Life is Strange are bottles.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

i admit that i kissed Warren, but I didnt like doing it!!!

Everyone needs some D every now and then

PunkBoy posted:

It just bothers me how pessimistic and nihlistic the ending seems to be. No matter what you do, life is just poo poo and people around you are going to die. There's no sense of moving on or coming to some sort of peace or understanding. You either watch your friend die or you run away knowing everyone else you've ever known (and reconnected with) died horribly and it may or may not be your fault. Considering how many people have said "Wow, I can really relate to the themes and topics that are brought up," basically going "It doesn't get better" is just depressing.

Fake Edit: Warren's a dork, but he's ultimately harmless. The true menace of Life is Strange are bottles.

It's almost like you could say that Life... is Strange.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
The Warren kiss was cute. Totally not gay.

Larryb posted:

I thought the initial condition that triggered the sequence of events ending in the tornado was the butterfly flying out the window when it did (after Chloe got shot). When Max intervenes to save Chloe, it just lands on the sink and stays there.

I think you only see the butterfly flying away in the Foals ending, so if you chose the other one then you probably missed it.

It ties in to the Ray Bradbury book that Ms Grant mentions in Episode 3: Chaos Theory. Its a sci-fi short story called "A Sound of Thunder" where a man goes on a time travelling safari to kill a t-rex. His guide has carefully orchestrated the hunt so as to minimize the snowball effect of changing something in the distant past and how it could have unpredictable consequences on the present day they have to return to. They pick a t-rex that was going to die anyway, all bullets had to be removed and everyone had to stay on a floating path so they didn't trample on the ground or leave any evidence behind that they were ever there. The man fucks up, gets scared and runs off the path, trampling a butterfly in the process. It is heavily implied the guide shoots him as a result with the thunder of the story's namesake being the sound of the gunshot.

Max never seems to realize this so maybe if she paid more attention to Ms Grant we would have Pricefield canon, buddy dlc till the end of time and Life is Strange 2: Max and Chloe hit the disco in cisco.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 7, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Larryb posted:

So far the only confirmed returning characters in Before the Storm are Chloe, her parents, David, Frank, Wells, Victoria, Nathan and Max via text message

Brooke and Alyssa are mentioned several times each and you meet at least three returning people not on that list in the first episode (one is a teacher). :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

precision posted:

Brooke and Alyssa are mentioned several times each and you meet at least three returning people not on that list in the first episode (one is a teacher). :confused:

Huh, must have forgotten those somehow (don't really remember all the side characters from LiS that well). Which three were they?

• Locked thread