Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is it about time to update the thread title and make a new op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Judging by the trailer for LiS2: Nope :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

Is it about time to update the thread title and make a new op?

Well seeing as it's a new main entry with it's own set of episodes it might be better to just start a new thread for it to be honest. But no rush of course seeing as we've still got a week to go before release. Either that or we could just rename this one into a general purpose LiS megathread.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Daddy complexes for all genders

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Daddy complexes for all genders

I think Max may be the only main character in the franchise who doesn't have one to be honest. Hell, the kids in Season 2 technically have issues with both parents (Chris' mom died in a car crash while Sean and Daniel's mom apparently abandoned her family sometime before the events of LiS 2).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 21, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
She's the replacement daddy, duh

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

She's the replacement daddy, duh

Fair. But yeah, a good number of main characters in this series have dads who were either great guys who got killed (Chloe, Sean & Daniel) or are assholes to varying degrees (Rachel, Chris, Nathan, Chloe if you count David). Max and Kate seem to have good dads who are still alive but we never actually see them outside of text messages (aside from Max's parents making a brief cameo at the end of Farewell) and for the others their parents are barely mentioned (though the North brothers also seem to have a good dad that's still alive).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 21, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Is a dad who makes their daughter leave their best friend right after her father’s funeral really that great though?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rio posted:

Is a dad who makes their daughter leave their best friend right after her father’s funeral really that great though?

Good point, and from the texts in the original Max's mom seems to come off as a little overbearing and quick to jump to conclusions as well (also Max admits in Farewell that she's probably spent more time at Chloe's house than her own) so maybe she does have some parental issues too (hell, at William's funeral the two of them seem to be standing far apart from Max and the Price family and look like they're in a hurry to go).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 21, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

rio posted:

Look at it from the perspective of an adult with a job and a career and children.

You are all set to move to another state, you have your new job lined up and the house bought and the movers set up and you're leaving in time to get there with a bit of lead time before you have to actually be at work. Now, god damnit, your daughter's best friend's father just died and she's crying all day, this is terrible timing. Ok, I guess we can stay an extra few days so we can attend the funeral, jesus christ, but then we have to leave immediately, this is loving up all the plans and rescheduling is costing money and I have to be at work to start my new job.

The funeral ends, you leave, if you hurry you can still make it to Seattle with barely enough time to unpack and be ready for work on Monday. You stayed 4 extra days so your daughter could attend the funeral, that's all you can spare.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While they weren't rich exactly I get the impression that the Caulfields were slightly upper-middle class and as such may not have been quite as close with the Prices as their daughter who basically saw them as a surrogate family (and yeah, as mentioned above they were kind of on a tight schedule at that point).

Hell, they might even have played a small role in Max ghosting on Chloe for 5 years as she's not mentioned once in any of the texts between Max and her parents and they don't really seem like the kind of people who would have encouraged Max to keep in touch (they weren't even that keen on her going to Blackwell and suggest more than once that she should come back to Seattle and find another school).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 21, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Orange Sunshine posted:

Look at it from the perspective of an adult with a job and a career and children.

You are all set to move to another state, you have your new job lined up and the house bought and the movers set up and you're leaving in time to get there with a bit of lead time before you have to actually be at work. Now, god damnit, your daughter's best friend's father just died and she's crying all day, this is terrible timing. Ok, I guess we can stay an extra few days so we can attend the funeral, jesus christ, but then we have to leave immediately, this is loving up all the plans and rescheduling is costing money and I have to be at work to start my new job.

The funeral ends, you leave, if you hurry you can still make it to Seattle with barely enough time to unpack and be ready for work on Monday. You stayed 4 extra days so your daughter could attend the funeral, that's all you can spare.

Yeah, it's also worth remembering that William died in 2009, right near the beginning of the Great Recession, so there's that additional pressure on the Caulfields.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
One more week

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, it's also worth remembering that William died in 2009, right near the beginning of the Great Recession, so there's that additional pressure on the Caulfields.

2008 actually but yeah, while they don't seem like bad people per se it's possible that Max has some family issues as well that we just don't see. As for the others:

Chloe: William basically seemed like the perfect dad so of course he'd get taken before his time. David means well but after spending a good chunk of his life in the army he doesn't really know how to deal with people very well and as such tends to act a little paranoid (also, as he mentions in both games, he was apparently a lot like Chloe when he was younger as well).

While she's not a bad person by any stretch, Joyce also deserves some of the blame for not realizing her daughter doesn't deal with grief the same way she does and trying to push things forward too quickly. She also kind of enables David more often than not, which is especially bad seeing as if you don't defend him in Episode 5 she will actually admit that she had a lot of the same doubts regarding him that Chloe did.

Rachel: On top of being an elitist rear end in a top hat and a compulsive liar, James is also technically a criminal as well (even though most of the evidence supporting that wound up disappearing thanks to Chloe and Frank). Rose just kind of goes along with him and doesn't make waves (the only time she ever actually speaks up is during the dinner at the end of Episode 2). Sera clearly cared about Rachel but she was still an addict for 14 years and, if any part of James' story was true, actually could have been seen as a danger to her daughter.

Rachel basically had no voice in her own family as her parents tried to decide nearly everything for her.

Kate: Her dad seemed like a great guy (and was one of the few people that actually continued to support her throughout the entire incident) but her mom (and especially her aunt) left something to be desired.

Nathan: Sean is an rear end in a top hat with almost no redeeming qualities to speak of. Not only did he care more about power and reputation than his own family but he actually flat out ignored Nathan's mental issues because he didn't want to deal with it. And of course Nathan's surrogate daddy Mark Jefferson wasn't any better.

Drew & Mikey: We only really see him for one scene but Anthony seems like a nice guy who's trying his best to look after his family despite them being currently homeless.

Chris: Charlie is a washed up drunk who seems to have moments where he's trying to be a good dad but on the other hand he also blames his 9 year old son for the death of his wife and at times even physically abuses him (if Chris' arms are visible during the final scene Mrs. Reynolds will notice the bruise).

Sean & Daniel: Esteban seems like a good guy from what little we see of him, too bad he winds up getting killed by a paranoid cop after trying to diffuse the situation.

Hell, there's a line in the original that implies that even Frank had some issues with his dad. Dysfunctional/broken families are kind a running theme in this series.

Macaluso posted:

One more week

Indeed (in fact, if the release schedule of the past few entries is any indication we might even wind up getting it a day early), so does someone want to start a new thread for this at some point or should we just update this one into an LiS Megathread?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 21, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yvonmukluk posted:

William died on September 29th, 2008, pretty much exactly when the mortgage crisis and subsequent crash went into full swing. Yowza.

In Chloe's dream sequences from Episode 1 of Before the Storm you can also see that gas prices are all $4+ per gallon. Now I'm crying again.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

Fair, though the problem with a Rachel game is that you'd have to set it in a very short period of time so as not to have the experience end with the protagonist being murdered on camera.

BTS already did this! :v:

e: as for a new thread about the New Game I will make a new thread sometime today if no one else feels the drive to do so.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Technically not on camera!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Technically not on camera!

I mean, technically it was!

if people have thread title ideas PM them to me, I would like to avoid stuff like "Dad still dead, so what." and "Cop dead. So what" as not everybody lives and breaths the prerelease stuff like we do and they are technically spoilers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm sticking with my proposal of Bros Before Lesbos although I hope this does not offend anyone, as you know I am a big fan and friend to lesbians everywhere!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also technically we don't actually know if she was dead yet by that point as all we really see is a shot of Rachel's phone in the Dark Room (that's another thing actually, isn't there supposed to be no reception down there?) and the sound of a camera snapping photos. Fair point though.

I don't have PMs but as for title suggestions I made a few on the last page:

Larryb posted:

Life is Strange 2: Fury Road

Life is Strange 2: How To Train Your Brother

Life is Strange 2: On Stranger Lives

They called the fourth Life is Strange game "Life is Strange 2"

And a couple more:

Life is Strange Too

Life is Strange 2: Grand Tour

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 21, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

New thread is up! Thanks to exquisit tea for the title suggestion (and larryb for suggestion ones as well!). I'll leave this thread open a few more days so people can see it and then probably close it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The storm has passed, see you on the other side

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

One last Chloe for the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

While this is still open and I don't want to derail the new thread with only semi-related news, Telltale just got shuttered.

https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/1043218930796580864

• Locked thread