Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

This is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

flatluigi posted:

You can click through to the actual posts they were punished for, you know, and judge for yourself. Personally, I think someone with a history of super virulent transphobia isn't really someone you can trust to be reasonable and isn't worth continuing to argue with, but that's just me. It certainly shows what kind of person they are and where their arguments might actually be rooted in at least!

Blegh. Maybe there's more to his Polygon hate than he lets on.

Still though, you can understand why I would want to not let the length of someone's rapsheet color my opinion of them until after I've checked out their posts. Lizard Wizard (I think?) has a ban for racism on their rap sheet that ended up being a misunderstanding.

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's not so much that this thread is supposed to be a sycophant circle jerk, as it is that this thread is supposed to be a water cooler type zone for current content. People are here to post about new episodes of Monster Factory, not old reviews by someone who no longer even works at the site.

"I thought the latest video was kind of phoned in" is an example of a negative post that would make perfect sense for what this thread is supposed to be, whereas "I'm still mad about the Bayonetta 2 review" is a post that would not.

This sounds like a good policy. I had never even heard of Polygon until they started putting out hise good videos, so I don't really care about stuff that happened before then. Let alone drama stemming from stuff that happened before then.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am, sure. I didn't ask for an essay, I asked for the person who said I was "spewing garbage" to actually afford a meaningful example of Polygon's best criticism. The fact that the examples offered failed to do that demonstrates that either my opinion on their writing is not want to change or my criticism of their writing is on point, but those who enjoy Polygon like it despite/because of those problems.

However, the majority of responses were things like "gamers are babies" or other condescending dumb stuff, so eh.

Again, I just don't think anyone cares enough to bother putting together a list of articles designed to change your mind.

quote:

You'll find that it's really easy to find any number of statements a person has said to dismiss what they say outright, and also it's much easier to do that that to respond to any of the actual things they've said. It's fun even! You can basically ignore anybody whom you don't agree with or who has ever expressed a statement you find offensive and you'll never have to question any of your beliefs or opinions at all.

If the specific belief that you are referring to is "transgender people are good and transgenderism is real," I can assure you that there is no internet forum post that will make me question that. Furthermore, that fact that your response to "this person is transphobic" was not an immediate "no I am not" is highly disturbing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

8-Bit Scholar I think you had the right to express your opinion but at this point the discussion outlived its usefulness. You made your point, now let it go, time to move on, no more multi-quote posts answering each and every single sentence directed at you. This is a thread about Polygon, not about convincing you to like Polygon, you were given links, if you still don't like the content then that's how the story ends.

You can talk about specific new Polygon videos that you actually just watched that most people come here to discuss if you want, that is something constructive unlike blanket statements. Other posters please drop the subject as well. Right now. Talk about the newest Polygon video or some poo poo. Thank you.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

There are many who believe that Awful Squad would be better without Russ, but consider this:

If Russ was not there, who would do the awful countdown at the start of each stream?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ariong posted:

There are many who believe that Awful Squad would be better without Russ, but consider this:

If Russ was not there, who would do the awful countdown at the start of each stream?

I always know when the ten minute mark is in a match because, like clockwork, I hear Justin singing. Therefore I elect Justin for the new position is countdown master.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ariong posted:

Really Russ fulfills a more primal requirement. Every group of friends needs that one that they all poo poo on. He is the glue that holds the Awful Squad, and perhaps the entire Polygon video cohort, together.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Serf posted:

Really Russ fulfills a more primal requirement. Every group of friends needs that one that they all poo poo on. He is the glue that holds the Awful Squad, and perhaps the entire Polygon video cohort, together.

you've probably put into words why i think russ is great better than i could ever

although at this point my love for russ might be the result of some kind of stockholm syndrome

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Russ is the lowest bar to clear for the group. He serves as a touchstone of how they did. If anybody (or everybody) dies before Russ, then they know it was a bad round and have more room for improvement.

I, for one, actually like following Russ' stream, despite how bad he is, because he's constantly getting dunked on by his own teammates, but also never changes his playstyle as a result. It's very funny to me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In the Awful Squad spirit, Simone should have Justin play Simon Says: when she says "go" Justin has to get to a house, close the door, drop his controller, and play eight bars of music.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTs23AnQBaM

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/8/31/16215336/night-trap-petz-rob-fulop

Simone's article and video on Petz, and subsequently Night Trap, is a really neat read. Night Trap's history is pretty well trodden ground at this point, but I'd never known about how that led to the funny game I played on my dad's computer when I was 4 years old.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

do you still think trans people are mentally ill op

Huh??

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

They were referring to 8-Bit Scholar's rap sheet, not you.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

You know what I miss? Stonerz Nation. Not so much the Tavern Brawl ones, I always found those quite frustrating because Phil would always bring the best deck for that brawl as built by the community, and Griffin would always make one himself, and so Griffin's losses were quite frustrating. (Although that did make it very satisfying when Griffin did manage to win from time to time.)

What I really miss is the single-player content. Watching Phil and Griffin discover the gimmicks of the various bosses in League of Explorers and brainstorm deck ideas to conquer them was great. I wouldn't want to watch Phil going it alone, but if Griffin is too busy, surely there's another fun Polygon person who could take his place.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Russ and Simone played a bunch of Spelunky yesterday and Russ is 1) very good at Spelunky and 2) married to batwoman.

https://youtu.be/KYgkDqe-7ZE

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Propaganda Hour posted:

Russ and Simone played a bunch of Spelunky yesterday and Russ is 1) very good at Spelunky and 2) married to batwoman.

https://youtu.be/KYgkDqe-7ZE

I haven't watched these since the first video. Is Simone getting any better at Spelunky? Or is she still whipping her dog off a cliff repeatedly?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

she's better, but still pretty bad. It's a hard game and I don't think she's really ever played off stream. Russ is doing pretty impressively.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I like Russ because I'm really really bad at PUBG and he makes me feel less alone

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i just watched part of the russ and simone spelunky stream and I had to turn it off because it made me irrationally angery. russ is supposed to be the expert and he doesn't know that there's a mattock at the bottom of each snake pit? that is NEVER a bad use of a bomb! you piece of poo poo, russ!

edit: I turned it back on and he got them both killed walking out of a shop with unpaid items.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 31, 2017

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Somberbrero posted:

i just watched part of the russ and simone spelunky stream and I had to turn it off because it made me irrationally angery. russ is supposed to be the expert and he doesn't know that there's a mattock at the bottom of each snake pit? that is NEVER a bad use of a bomb! you piece of poo poo, russ!

He avoids giant spiders instead of firing a bomb into their webs and I'm still not sure if it's because he doesn't know how easy they are to murder or if he's just trying not to spoil stuff while hoping Simone works it out.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
My personal favorites from the older Overview videos are 1001 Spikes and Titan Souls when Justin is tormenting Griffin with his dracula voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjOWw49kP9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e390vEHRy3I

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I like Russ as the cameraman.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SpacePig posted:

They often write pieces critical of the current portrayal of women, minorities, and LGBTQ individuals, and also occasionally dock points from games for portraying these people negatively or stereotypically. As a true, hardcore gamer, this is simply unacceptable to me.

no.

this poo poo right here? this is a loving terrible defense. it's the same weak-rear end bullshit that people trotted out when trying to defend that godawful ghostbusters movie by saying 'people just hate it cause it's feminist'.

i care quite a bit about these issues, and polygon are loving terrible at discussing them in any meaningful way. they are terrible at a lot of things but their coverage of these specific issues are loving embarrassing and exactly the kind of garbage that idiot alt-right gamergater shitbags point at when they want to talk about how those dastardly sjws are ruining video games. and really, what more can you really expect from the site that hired arthur gies and ben 'the ps4 controller is as good as holding a pair of tits' kuchera anyway?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Can you link to an article that addresses lgbtq issues that you enjoy? Not being a dick, I haven't seen the other options out there and I want to educate myself on what polygon doesn't bring to the table in this regard.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
New Polygon Show went up at 9:00 EST this morning, (still not up on their website yet or else I'd link it) I'm about 20 minutes in

- The first 5 minutes or so are really funny

- WTH is this Catherine game?? I never heard of it but it kinda sounds right up my alley

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Polygon... good?

not until kuchera leaves the site.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

timp posted:

New Polygon Show went up at 9:00 EST this morning, (still not up on their website yet or else I'd link it) I'm about 20 minutes in

- The first 5 minutes or so are really funny

- WTH is this Catherine game?? I never heard of it but it kinda sounds right up my alley

Havent listened yet, but Catherine is a horny puzzle game made by the Persona team. It's very visually stylish and plot focused. I think it was generally well recieved.

It would kinda shock me if the polygon show didn't like it.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Catherine vs mode is also played competitively as a side game in some fighting game tournaments, it's pretty amazing.

Evo 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IMjIbTbloY

Evo 2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2DC7pYnPk

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Ive been listening to the polygon show and ive been really enjoying it

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Of all the discussions I expected to get horny, Pets was not one of them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't read too many video game articles but Polygon was like the one major site out there that didn't have a weird loving reaction to Ladykiller in a Bind so I think they are pretty ok on the social issues.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
The only good series they have are monster factory and awfulsquad but both are really good.

The only good people they have are Griffin and Justin. I was really happy when I heard they fired Nick because he especially sucked. And his voice sounds exactly like Josh from RLM which made me dislike him even more.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
how is simone and pat not good... and allegra... and ashley...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

how is simone and pat not good... and allegra... and ashley...

...and pat's arm...

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Veib posted:

Catherine vs mode is also played competitively as a side game in some fighting game tournaments, it's pretty amazing.

Evo 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IMjIbTbloY

Evo 2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2DC7pYnPk

Then there's this guy who does solo speedruns of co-op mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvAcNlWAz0o&t=657s

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Stroop There It Is posted:

I wanted to post it at full size but someone would get mad about it

HERE he is

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

They should do a job swap where the Vox Dot Com politics crew does video games for a week and vice versa

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

They should do a job swap where the Vox Dot Com politics crew does video games for a week and vice versa

Why do Mushroom Kingdom citizens continue to support Bowser despite his broken promises? An exposé.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also, wow Arthur Gies is gone. I remember that guy had some asinine opinions that made me mad once. :byewhore:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

icantfindaname posted:

Also, wow Arthur Gies is gone. I remember that guy had some asinine opinions that made me mad once. :byewhore:

Who is this person? I watch a ton of Polygon youtube stuff and I don't recall him.