Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yo Brian got a 18k raise for his work in October? Fuckin' way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

The fact that anyone producing content for Polygon and the other subsidiaries makes less than 6 figures in NYC is absurd. Starting at 55k is outrageous.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Full Circle posted:

The fact that anyone producing content for Polygon and the other subsidiaries makes less than 6 figures in NYC is absurd. Starting at 55k is outrageous.
13-14 years ago i had an animation job in NY that paid me $41k. i had to basically live outside the city and commute in since i lived alone

$5.6k a month for pat/brian seems doable since we know brian shares an apartment, and there's no way either of them live in manhattan. even after tax witholding he probably lives comfortably enough, but if he were to ever lose his job he'd probably have to find another job immediately

i mean obviously i am way out of touch with whatever current leases are!!! but neither pat or brian seem bothered by their pay except for how it relates to BIPOC employees making less

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 12, 2020

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
filling out some more of the salary deets from the video team

https://twitter.com/thejenna/status/1270741099376762887

https://twitter.com/Clayton_Ashley/status/1270740834573574144

and emeritus

https://twitter.com/LegsFrank/status/1270726252983275521

and beyond

https://twitter.com/MIDImyers/status/1270551657156423683

https://twitter.com/BenKuchera/status/1270499503674621953

there's probably more of them out there, but now I've spent a whole bunch of time on twitter tonight and don't want to be there anymore

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 12, 2020

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

lol at "don't be afraid to negotiate hard!!" yeah buddy that works just as well for people who aren't cishet white men

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Stroop There It Is posted:

lol at "don't be afraid to negotiate hard!!" yeah buddy that works just as well for people who aren't cishet white men

i've read and listened and watched polygon's stuff forever now and have absolutely no idea who ben kuchera is, but lol he makes 30-50k more than most people on staff and thinks it's about negotiation skills

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

eke out posted:

i've read and listened and watched polygon's stuff forever now and have absolutely no idea who ben kuchera is, but lol he makes 30-50k more than most people on staff and thinks it's about negotiation skills

He loving sucks almost all of the time and his wage at Polygon is galling.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

https://twitter.com/karenyhan/status/1270728610115092480

Here's Karen's. It is less, but she is technically a writer (Despite her showing up in videos, and doing video work too, like filming all of BDG's videos recently)

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Not Operator posted:

He loving sucks almost all of the time and his wage at Polygon is galling.

I remember his name coming up as "this guy loving sucks" back when he worked for Penny Arcade, a company made almost entirely up by guys who loving suck, so he must be particularly suck to get called out like that.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The Pokerap alone must have been incredible wage increase leverage for Brian

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I’d be curious to see how BDG’s salary compared to the McElroy’s before they left, as they were the last “big video guys” at Polygon.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I’m actually surprised how high some of these salaries are. I’m not saying these folx aren’t worth it, I’m just surprised video games journalism pays you that much

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

omg chael crash posted:

I’m actually surprised how high some of these salaries are. I’m not saying these folx aren’t worth it, I’m just surprised video games journalism pays you that much

It's less than median for the area in which they work.

Like never get discouraged comparing against big metro area incomes. My MIL was making what looked like a great salary in SF, until you looked at rent and realized she had to commute 2.5 hours a day just to get there, in the places she could afford to live.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 12, 2020

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

And yet,as BDG proved, none of them could retire.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

omg chael crash posted:

Which ones are high lol?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

For context on just how bad those salaries are, teachers in NYC make 85-135k according to public payroll data (I am on no way saying the teachers are overpaid or undeserving)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also to be clear when i was talking about that money being liveable, that's only while they stay single and rent with others... those salaries are not 'support a family' money for NYC

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm from the NYC area and was talking to a friend in Cleveland about it; we found a cost of living comparison calculator online and found BDG's cushy 85k salary equals about 30k in Cleveland.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I make slightly less than Bdg and live in a slightly less expensive city (Boston, so pretty bad, but not NYC bad) and after student loans are factored in, I can personally attest that that amount of income is enough to either save for retirement, or live without roommates, but not both. Can’t remember if bdg has talked about student loans at all but since he’s younger than me I assume he’s crushed by them

It’s comfortable but not high income at all, not for that city.

68k would be pretty close to the bone; it’s not poverty wages by any means but you need to keep a careful budget and there’s no room for anything to go majorly wrong in your life. That’s like, an entry level middle class wage for NYC

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 12, 2020

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Full Circle posted:

For context on just how bad those salaries are, teachers in NYC make 85-135k according to public payroll data (I am on no way saying the teachers are overpaid or undeserving)

Are you saying they should be paid as much as teachers? Honestly asking, I’m just confused.

Again, I think they all deserved to get paid but I didn’t know video game journalism demands such a high salary. My girlfriend lives in Brooklyn and writes for one of the largest news organization in the world and makes 85kish

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

Are you saying they should be paid as much as teachers? Honestly asking, I’m just confused.

Again, I think they all deserved to get paid but I didn’t know video game journalism demands such a high salary. My girlfriend lives in Brooklyn and writes for one of the largest news organization in the world and makes 85kish

great question, easy answer: everyone deserves a salary they can live on

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

I believe they are trying to provide some perspective on the Polygon salaries by comparing them to those of teachers: a notoriously underpaid profession.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Ariong posted:

I believe they are trying to provide some perspective on the Polygon salaries by comparing them to those of teachers: a notoriously underpaid profession.

Precisely; It's just baffling to me that I and many of my friends make more as computer touchers in the midwest than someone with as much unique talent as BDG et al.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Full Circle posted:

Precisely; It's just baffling to me that I and many of my friends make more as computer touchers in the midwest than someone with as much unique talent as BDG et al.

especially given the cost of living out in the midwest vs in new york city

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You just KNOW the some executive has said, "Keeping them poor makes them more creative" just before releasing a memo killing all creative shows.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

Your girlfriend deserves to be paid more.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
More unraveled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIYJRlL6QNw

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Oh my god, I can’t handle mid-2000s webcomic Brian.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
So many dead birds.

And milk.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Holy poo poo how much money did they give Brian and how much fun did he have on this?

I ended up losing it at feedbag

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 15, 2020

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Important update:

https://twitter.com/Pizza_Suplex/status/1272615552251498498

I like the way Unraveled started out with Brian researching stupid video game lore and gradually drifted towards him doing horrible things to himself for tangentially gaming-related reasons.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Fred is on posted:

Important update:

https://twitter.com/Pizza_Suplex/status/1272615552251498498

I like the way Unraveled started out with Brian researching stupid video game lore and gradually drifted towards him doing horrible things to himself for tangentially gaming-related reasons.

I mean yes the last two were horrible but the sims one was self care and that's what we should all practice.

Which is why I asked my wife to paint a whole bunch of sad clown paintings and hang them in our house.

Edit: Holy poo poo from the replies

https://twitter.com/5mashed/status/1272637540902690817?s=19

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know if Brian invented the phrase "Anime Cluttercore" for this but it really captures an aesthetic just right

e: the milk mstr was nauseating brian no

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 16, 2020

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Every time Brian says "but I still had sponsor money" another bird dies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hope Brian actually streams from the GameSpace.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Zutaten posted:

I remember his name coming up as "this guy loving sucks" back when he worked for Penny Arcade, a company made almost entirely up by guys who loving suck, so he must be particularly suck to get called out like that.

I think it's important to bring up this passage from his PS4 review because no one should be allowed to forget this:

benjamin kuchera posted:

It felt almost too good, like I was holding something illicit. I was afraid it would be taken away. It felt like the first time I touched a girl’s breast in the backseat of a car with fogged up windows, scared that her parents were going to fling the door open and start yelling at me. I wanted to grab the controller and run. I wanted to nuzzle it against my face and ask it who is a good controller? Who is a good controller?

You’re a good controller, you sexy thing, you.

from the wayback machine because penny arcade are trying to shield ben from his crimes

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I made so little money at my job that now that I'm on COVID unemployment I make 2.5x the amount I did when I was employed! capitalism is a nightmare

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
https://twitter.com/Kofie/status/1272984517486182400

Kofie works with Jon Bois at SBNation and if this means we actually get the Jon Bois / BDG crossover episode oh holy cats baby!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh my good god I am beyond excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Coco13 posted:

https://twitter.com/Kofie/status/1272984517486182400

Kofie works with Jon Bois at SBNation and if this means we actually get the Jon Bois / BDG crossover episode oh holy cats baby!

Can't believe there wasn't an option for the only actually entertaining esport, competitive Link to the Past randomizer races.