Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If it flooded where I am poo poo would be more than hosed. But fires are more than possible so I have what I cant move insured and a place already organised to get them to for those I can move.

But after seeing a bushfire flex its power in person changed my mind about staying in the event of an emergency. If a natural disaster is coming I will grab hard drives a bag of clothes and important documents,the cats and gently caress off as fast as I can. No ifs no buts. In the end cars can be and eh... your life on the other hand is something else.

Yep, thats our families plan too- we're in town and a hell of a lot more easily defended than my parents place in the bush so the plan is if theres a bushfire threatening mum n dads place is for mum to grab the laptops, the dog, all the critical paperwork (which is all already sorted into a grab bag), fire up the fire sprinkler system and bug out to our place.

I'll probably be driving towards the loving thing cos im insane...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fettuccini has a horribly disturbing texture coming back up. Stupid anti inflammatories ruining your stomach.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

So we had a big storm roll through last night, Thunder, hail, rain, wind the works. Any more rain and they're going to do a live cross from Houston...

And its amazing what blows into your yard during a big storm. Like this that i found beside my front door.

We'd seen her hanging around the last few nights so set the cat trap with kibble and this morning she was in there. I had work, and the missus was off for the day so it was "Go take the new kitty to the vets to check for a micro chip and take it to the shelter.

Then around 9am I get the call of "The vets said to hold onto her locally for a week and put up some Found Kitteh posters in case its someones lost kitten, so its set up in the bathroom. And we have to keep our two cats away from it in case its got FIV or ring worm or parasites. Oh, and its about 5-6 months old, intact female and doesnt APPEAR to be pregnant"

Get home from work and this is what greets me...

Im reasonably sure Im now the dubiously proud owner of 3 cats...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Here in Adelaide we've had a shitload of rain and it's loving bitterly cold. Problem is that with the wet summer we have we're already at end of spring levels of growth in the bush with the spring flush to come still as it finally warms up. If we get a dry summer it's going to be one mother of a fire season

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

So apparently I now own a 3rd cat, as long as its not FIV +

Goes to the vets tomorrow for full check over, viral workup, immunisations etc and her name is either Tully or Talisker. Cant decide.

The other two are devastated about having to share their home.

Or not.

If shes FIV+ we'll adopt her out to a single cat house, its just not worth the risk of giving our two healthy cats Kitty Aids if they get into an argument.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

The rainfall predictions are insane- "The upper Florida Keys into southeast Florida...10 to 15 inches, isolated 20 inches."

500mm of rain...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I was watching live streams earlier of people walking around key west. Pretty much watching future ghosts right there...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

New Kitty had all her girly bits cut out today.

Still doesnt like me. Tho older girly kitty is currently curled up asleep between the missus and I in bed trying to push me out from under the doona

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Unimportant parts of WA and Queensland get smacked every year or so with a small cyclone- only real consequence of the last few years was the one that flattened all the banana plants and made bananas $20 a kilo.

We're generally more concerned with things like where in our yard the 2nd most venomous snake on the planet is hiding today.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I've finally found out from the doctor that the never ending pain is actually that I've got bursitis in my shoulder. I think I'd rather have a soldering iron jammed into the joint.

Not allowed to take ibuprofen cos I'm on another anti inflammatory for my plantar fasciitis, so panadol osteo only. Which sucks balls cos for my whole life paracetamol has done gently caress all on me in terms of pain relief

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

Those are just the days that end in "Y" for me. I work for the state. The jokes you hear about state workers? Mostly true.

State government here too. Im fond of the phrase of "I work WITH idiots, FOR idiots"

They put me in the cripple wagon at work till my shoulder is better. Behold! My new work chariot for the foreseeable future

If we keep putting people who are crippled into lawn mowers as a SOP, we're going to need more lawn mowers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Oh god, a Groundsmaster.

We sold a John Deere for that too...

It's only redeeming feature is the cabin cos it means your not inhaling dust all day and you get a stereo but other than that it's a heap of poo poo. 3 engine mounts in 2000hrs cos when toro fit the AC compressor they didn't bother to redesign the mount, they just welded the compressor mount to it, which causes a massive stress riser because it can't flex at one end, which makes it crack through and eventually drop the engine. They're $350 each and a 2 week delay from the US getting them. And cos the cabin was a $20K option, we own 3 of the 6 in the country and one of those other 3 is the dealer demo machine so toro won't do poo poo about it.

Then there's the forward/reverse pedal, which from new has been hosed. When we first got it, they forgot a circlip and the shuttle valve got stuck in full reverse so as soon as the motor was running it was full speed backward. Now it's got loving launch control in reverse- breath on the pedal and it peels out backwards regardless of what's behind it.

The deck gearbox exploded at 100hrs, we were going through a fan belt every 200hrs until we actually went and found a wider one that fits and at 5 years old the AC is out of gas.

But it looks fancy

• Locked thread