Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Enourmo posted:

Ahaha my senior design professor has spent the first 20 minute of this class just roasting the gently caress out of a guy who was on his senior design team however many decades ago, and who was apparently just an absolute fuckup in every way. Was on two separate design teams, lied to them both re conflicting meeting times, contributed a couple paragraphs to a 150-page report, completely hosed up the group's presentation, you get the idea.

"Jim somehow graduated, in spite of our 5-page comments on his peer review. I firmly believe that his greatest contribution to the entire engineering profession is this story, his example of exactly what NOT to do in this course."

I think I've worked with that guy. Fat redheaded dude with a scraggly beard and long greasy hair, wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Dragonforce or WoW, spent basically all of his time looking at WoW stats and memes online, didn't contribute a single line of functional code to the project.

I believe I told him to go die in a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Panda diesel I had was quite fun to flog. Slow as hell, but entertaining.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Grakkus posted:

Paging any Danish goons - how hosed am I if i want to import a car into Denmark? My girlfriend has gotten a job in copenhagen and I was thinking of getting us a car for there. I've heard some absolute horror stories about the registration tax there, but playing around on an import tax calculator leads me to believe that importing an E34 525i would be cheaper than actually buying one there.

Not at all hosed, as long as you're prepared for a bit of bureaucracy. Be aware that the registration tax system has been changed recently (literally this week), so maybe wait until that gets worked out to all the appropriate systems. I don't know exactly how this will affect older cars, but new cars will get all kinds of adjustments due to safety gear and such.

And yes, importing an older car is a decent idea. The reason is that you also pay registration for any options on a new car here. But with imported cars, optional equipment is exempt AFAIK. So get the absolute most loaded E34 you can possibly find. If you can, import a car from southern Germany, where they don't salt the roads.

Insurance on a 525i is going to be rather high, but I assume you're aware of this already. I pay ~$1,500/year for comprehensive insurance on my 2.2L Peugeot 406, with a ~$900 deductible., and I'm with one of the least expensive insurance companies we have. This is why I'm selling it and getting a smaller car, and I expect my insurance costs to be around half. Not to mention gas is really expensive here.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 22, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

2006 Prius

Do it. Those cars are stupendously reliable, and it sounds like most of the issues are minor.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You just need to smile more.

(Yes, I still think Faceapp is neat)

• Locked thread