Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well thank gently caress, senior design request form got posted... at like 8pm last night. And it's due at 4, in person at the professor's office.

If this is supposed to be some kind of meta-lesson "sometimes your real boss will be behind the ball but still expect you to meet the deadline" poo poo, thanks but no thanks, I can do without that one.

E: These dorks at the table next to me are very loudly trying to figure out a project that will have the acronym MUMMY.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

Went to the Auburn Douchenberg auction today.

Found the best car

$2500 OBO i about died laughing.

So did you buy it or what?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So you're wire brushing the gently caress out of the other lugs/studs to make sure they don't follow suit right?

Doesn't really matter, Irma gonna flood the whole state next week

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BRB getting gill surgery to prepare for my new underwater life.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, in non hurricane news, I got my top pick for senior design: a hybrid rocket.

:yeah:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Classes canceled starting tomorrow, campus is closed between Friday and Monday, possibly longer.

I'm lowkey starting to freak out. Which is dumb, not like I'll starve to death, but still.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Apartment management says no boarding, and my mom has a gas stove, so I may head over there if the storm crosses Orlando significantly.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ExplodingSims posted:

I would start making an exit strategy. Latest Euro models seem to show it shifting west and going more or less right down the middle of the state.

Faaaaantastic, sports fans!

Should we look at evacuating altogether? We sat out Charley, but that storm blew through pretty quick.

E: Mom's place is concrete block outer walls, so it's plenty sturdy.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 7, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, my dad's staying in Melbourne; yesterday I'd have chewed him out, but with the tracks consistently shifting west he's probably fine.

Mom in Longwood won't leave, mainly because her mom won't/can't leave.

That leaves my sisters and niece, I dunno how they feel about packing up and leaving this suddenly. Plus with the traffic already on all routes, it's at least a day or two to get out of the state.

If it was just me I'd throw some clothes in the car and GTFO, but as things are idk if I'd feel good leaving them all there.

I'm honestly scared of this storm, guys. Just got a bad gut feeling.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I dunno man, these tracks keep shifting farther west, while the wind field remains massive. I'm not so sure this storm won't be able to keep sucking in Gulf air to sustain itself all the way up the peninsula.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In case I haven't made it clear, I am loving Scared of this thing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Babies in the GBS thread think Turkey Point is gonna melt down, and that that's our biggest concern in all this. I'd say "paging commieGIR" but there's already fpl nuke guys in the thread, being ignored.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

LOL. The Nuclear plant is the one thing that I'm not worried about. Those things are fortresses.

But the reactor is only 20 feet above sea level, and there's 21 foot waves! Don't you know MATH!???!?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seminal Flu posted:

Hey, I want to buy that '64 Ferrari GTO... any way you could knock a few million off of the price?

Sure, just a sec...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p--8DXM123E

It will be rebuilt, and now it's got additional race history. Price might go up.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

I thought this storm was FOUR-HUNNERT miles wide?

The circles aren't the storm size, they're the error circles for where the eye will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SblsE85krZk

Storm still big.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Power was flickering, just watched our transformer blow. Looks like we're dark for the long haul here in Longwood.

Lights are still on down the street for now, so hopefully it'll be a quick fix once the storm passes. We've got lots of aux batteries, including my bigass laptop battery, and the stove is gas so we can still cook.

I'll mostly be in ultra low power mode on my phone but I'll check in periodically. Catch you on the flip side.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Status update: power started flickering back on right as we were getting settled. Must be blowing power lines shorting together and bypassing the transformer. I sure as gently caress don't trust that to pass a clean waveform, so all breakers are now off for the duration.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well it was definitely either a transformer or line breaking; I saw a bright shower of blue sparks at the exact moment the power went out for good, so it wasn't just a breaker opening or whatever. It had been momentarily going out, with an associated loud 60hz hum from outside, in the direction of whatever blew. Heard the same hum when the lights started flickering back on, so I doubt it was anything commanded.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Was about an hour between going fully dark and trying to come back on.

Storm's curving farther east,gonna drag the bubble of Hurricane-force sustained winds right over us, which I'd hoped we would avoid. Peak danger doesn't pass for another few hours. Niece is now asleep, but me, mom and sister are all watching weather chanel on the ipad.

I'm getting scared again, yall.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

OK but northeast side of the storm and it's been dry and weak on the east/south side all day no, fake edit, gently caress this, staying positive

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ugh, what a night. House seems okay, curfew was lifted so I need to get over and check on my apartment.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

WE HAVE WAFFLE HOUSE I REPEAT WAFFLE HOUSE CONFIRMED IN CASSELBERRY EVERYTHING'S GONNA BE OKAY

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well just checked my apartment,power's off but other than that looks fine, no busted windows or water intrusion. Luckily it's just north of the orange/Seminole county line so no cops to hassle me over curfew stuff.

The normally bone dry drainage ditch by my door has like a foot of standing water even with a drain grate in the middle; it did its job well.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Got a text last night from management "good news, our apartments have power again!"

Halfway home from mom's: "whoops seems like a couple buildings are still out!"

Guess whose building (along with like 4 others) is an island of darkness surrounded by powered apartments on all sides, including the neighboring complex and the shopping center across the street? Yeah.

P71 is topped up and currently paying dividends as a mobile air-conditioned couch.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cell signal is miles better than it was this morning/last night, when I couldn't even get anything to load, let alone post from home. If the cell tower by me just came back online, hopefully that means I'll have power soon.

REALLY hope I get my WiFi back with the power, too. I got classwork to finish. :suicide:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Someone tell me how to sleep in my car's a/c without dying of random fumes, getting carjacked, running out of gas or getting hassled by cops

Alternately how do I rig up a generator to run on pure rage at the heat

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah I'm still without power, I've been living in my car during the day and sweating balls at night. The two exposed walls of my apartment, that have windows, have windbreaks (a line of trees/the neighboring building, respectively) so airflow is fuckall.

It would be easier to keep perspective if everyone was without power, but the front half of my complex, the apartments next door behind the trees, and the shopping center across the street all have had power since Monday night. It's a bit more frustrating to step out of my dark, hot apartment and see lights/hear air conditioners for 360 degrees around me.

Apparently just the 10 buildings on the back road of my complex are on a different line, and require a replacement fuse instead of flipping a substation breaker or whatever. So since it needs a replacement part, I can probably expect power back around.... oh, February maybe? (They say by Sunday but it's a long 4 days)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My future forever home will have a whole house generator running off a natural gas line, a stirling generator with groundwater heat sink to power a few box fans if that somehow fails, and large windows and doors so I can get a decent draft though the house from any angle.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

FWIW, at least around here, power companies overestimate repair times. They'd much rather get it back on a lot sooner instead of missing the "should be on by" time/date and having their phones blow up.

Should be a part they have on hand or can get from a neighboring utility if it's just a fuse, but there's always the logistics of getting it there.

My worry is that if they're prioritizing getting south FL back up and running, they might be sending all their local stocks down there, meaning up here would have to wait on shipments from out of state. All I know for sure is that despite seeming like a simple fix I've yet to see any repair crews anywhere around the complex.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh, the other cool thing about the blackout? The complex's one and only trash compactor is on the side with no power. Currently it's piled so high, even my 6'5" self would have to toss bags up onto it. I dunno if they can even empty it without power.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As a floridian I will never ever get the appeal of heated seats.

Now, chilled seats, on the other hand...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seminal Flu posted:

:rip: the dragon.

wtf is going on with your October thread?

that thread is a work of art to surpass the dragon

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

maria
amria
armia
arima
airma
a Irma

confirmed, it's happening again

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Isn't a 2 "hold my beer" territory?

Assuming it doesn't get any stronger. And a cat 2 can still blow power lines down.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ahaha my senior design professor has spent the first 20 minute of this class just roasting the gently caress out of a guy who was on his senior design team however many decades ago, and who was apparently just an absolute fuckup in every way. Was on two separate design teams, lied to them both re conflicting meeting times, contributed a couple paragraphs to a 150-page report, completely hosed up the group's presentation, you get the idea.

"Jim somehow graduated, in spite of our 5-page comments on his peer review. I firmly believe that his greatest contribution to the entire engineering profession is this story, his example of exactly what NOT to do in this course."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maria's a loving cat 5 out of nowhere lmao

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

spog posted:

Stick a ring on a woman and she becomes invisible to men.

I know several women with dozens of stories each that would imply otherwise.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

This heat transfer class, professor showed a table from the book listing surface roughness for various materials. The metric column listed it in mm, usually tenths of mm or less. Cool, makes sense.

The other column, for imperial units, listed the same roughness values... in decimal feet. Like, "polished steel, 0.000004 feet"

:psyduck:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Going from 95F to 50F increases air density by 10%. Not only are you physically getting more air/fuel mass into the cylinder (so 10% more more heat, more power), but since it's colder to start it's a little less prone to preignition. Modern cars can adjust timing etc on the fly to take full advantage of this, but even carb'ed engines will automatically run a little smoother and put out more power.

E: Turbo cars really love the cold. Not only do you get denser air at the same pressure coming in, but that extra 45 degrees of delta-T makes a huge difference in how much heat the intercooler can dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Sorry that is happening, TT. Bad string, but you're a good person to the dog so you'll know what's best either way.

In lighter news, video card from SA-Mart came in. Mockup in the case I picked out:

Just baaarely fits. That's a 200mm fan there.

Oh hey I recognize that case :v:

So glad I got rid of my full-tower monstrosity.

• Locked thread