Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

KakerMix posted:

Bought my first diesel today

Very nice. What is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I thought they were shutting turkey point and the other one down long before this thing hit.

Stay safe Floridians.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

beep-beep car is go posted:

I'm interested in what the iPhone X actually has, but I rock an iPhone Plus life and I don't think they're going to be offering a plus model yet. Plus, the whole "it'll probably cost a grand" thing.

Same thing here. The normal iPhone is too skinny for my long fingers. If the x sticks to that tall skinny form I don't really want it. I may consider an iPhone 8 plus if the camera is going to be significantly better than my 6s+. My wife has been hinting that she wants a watch with LTE and a new phone, so probably that. Her current moto x is 3 years old and doesn't hold a very good charge and has wifi issues so its probably time.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

monsterzero posted:

As a former Apple fixer and seller I love announcement days because I don't have gently caress all to do with them anymore. I'm so glad I'm out of that game.

That's my one bright shining light today. This has been a (admittedly first-world, low stakes) poo poo week for me.

All summer I've been working on this stupid Subaru with a bad head gasket. I finally got it all back together, after having to pull he motor again once because of a leaking timing case. It ran like a dream after a warmup cycle and a test drive. I parked it to cool off so I could check the levels. Everything's great! I decidr I want to listen to it purr a little more at 10pm last night so I start it up. Hey... what's that under the car? Coolant? Is it coming from a hose? No. The thermostat housing? Closer, but no. It's leaking from the loving head gasket.

Guess I'll just buy a new motor because gently caress all of that noise. Anyone got any advice on eBay JDM motors? Probably should have just done this in the first place.

Also my wife dropped a bomb on me Saturday. She hates sailing and our sailboat. I've spent the last year reading, and learning as much as I can about sailing. Found a boat, sold a motorcycle and a car so I could buy it and a truck to tow it. She says she regretted it immediately and wishes we still had the stupid Camry. That sailing is too stressful (because I'm the only one with a quarter clue about what needs to be going on), and there's too much standing around during rigging and launching (there's a lot less standing around if you're HELPING, deer.)

Oh, and my boss said he had a contact with a local sports team marketing dept and was going to get us some backstage access and see how they think/work. Totally sweet. We were going to bring the interns and +1s to a Sunday game and it was going to be awesome. Then yesterday he decided that he'd rather we go to a weeknight game because it might be a better opportunity to meet the players. That means we have to worry about coverage because workday, so he wants to uninvite some of the interns, who I feel would most benefit from seeing how a big org works from the inside.

I just feel like everything I've tried to do the last 6months has blown up in my loving face. I feel like the next thing is going to be sinkhole opening up under my feet, and it can loving take me at this point.

Thanks for letting me rant. I know this is all small poo poo, especially since some of you are going through poo poo magnitudes deeper. Seriously though, if anyone has advice for quality used Subaru motors I'd be grateful.

Hey, we all gotta rant once in a while.

I would sell the boat and use the proceeds fix or replace the Subaru. Any used engine you find is likely to have the same issue eventually. Head gaskets seem to be a common Subaru thing.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

who else is on the iPhone X train choo choo

I am, once I get a chance to handle it. It doesn't look too narrow.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hey guys - topical since we were just talking about bootleg/counterfeit/trash garbage from 'marketplace' vendors on prettymucheverywhere.com now, anyone have a suggestion for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-7500mAh-Lithium-Starter-Jumpstart/dp/B01M7UTM6H that doesn't cost $100 and isn't fake junk?

My mom's Avalon has developed a case of "The driver's seatbelt keeps not retracting all the way and then it causes the door to be left just far enough ajar overnight to drain the battery since you don't notice the interior lights aren't going to turn themselves off like they normally do", which I managed to invent when I was visiting, she just did it herself so it seems to be on its way to endemic - our next door neighbor had one of those devices that could also charge your cell battery/USB stuff (which is the majority of of what my mom will use it for, she's an avid photographer and is always running out of laptop power while proofing the shots she takes) but she lives alone out in the country and waiting on AAA for 2-3 hours to get a jump isn't ideal when and if this happens again.

She bought something that seemed right for $45ish (which was what our neighbor said his cost from ebay) on walmart.com, but when she got it, it was counterfeit garbage and walmart.com won't do anything about it because 'third party marketplace'.

e: the avalon is Toyota Purple, in case that matters

I have 2 of them.

First one is a Chinese bestek or something like that of similar capacity to the one you linked. It would not jump my tundra when I left the door ajar overnight and the battery was dead.

Second one I have is an oemtools chinese branded one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RI4467Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KhCUzbAC6VWPM
I have used it to jump off my small diesel tractor and it worked. I keep it on my motorcycle for the inevitable bad battery, and it hasn't blown up despite being left in the sun. Its supposedly an exact copy of the top rated one by consumer reports.

E: its not quite $100 and I caught it on sale for $78.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I sort of want a generator, and my wife told me to buy one, but the power just doesn't seem to go out here. The longest outage was 30 minutes.

I also can't decide between a PTO generator for the tractor (~30 pto hp) or a whole home propane powered unit either. We generally have at least 100 gallons in the propane tank but if it goes out during the winter that poo poo goes quick. The generator would probably down a half gallon to a gallon an hour and the furnace uses a gallon/hr. With the tractor, the fuel situation is slightly worse, I keep maybe 10 gallons in the garage and 5 in the tractor, but the burn rate would be much lower per hour, and the power unit large enough to run the heat pump/water heater/dryer. It would also have the advantage of being portable. Cost of the unit and wiring would be about the same either way.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Electric resistance heaters are the most power hungry thing you can run. Most of them will run up to 1500w so 2-3 you need around 4000w sustained. I grew up with kerosene heaters in the house, the carbon monoxide won't be the thing that gets you, its tip over fires and curious children.

E: if you want backup heat grab a "Mr Heater" from amazon and a couple 3 packs of 1lb propane cylinders from walmart.

rdb fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 15, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Steering wheel for a boat

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
[quote="“mekilljoydammit”" post="“476626139”"]
Firman’s OK. We tested that 3500W open frame one at work - as I recall, the engine is kind of understressed in that if you pull full load the electronics are limiting it and the engine’s not hitting WOT. Probably a deliberate design decision. We broke it in testing but we were doing some weird things that average owners wouldn’t. Have not tested Firman’s 2100 watt inverter.

Any of the non-inverter ones are going to vary the frequency a bit with load - the spec they have to meet is somewhere between 63 and 57hz. They’re pretty duh-simple though and as you noticed you get a bit more power per dollar. The industrial type guys who use them all the time gravitate towards the open frame ones because they cool better at full load - most of the RV type people gravitate towards the plastic cased ones because they’re quieter. If you’re not going to be hammering the thing at full load in 100+ degree weather a lot, I do like the plasticey inverters personally.
[/quote]

So is the "cleaner" sine wave thing really an issue with inverter vs non inverter? That seems to be a huge marketing point.

Personally I would get an open frame with higher wattage assuming its just for backup. From whatever brand you can reliably source parts from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Darchangel posted:

This is why I will likely be paying $5500 to have my sewer line replaced, though that is mainly for the labor of digging. There's no way I could dig the line up myself in the gumbo we have before the end of the year.

I really should replace the main bathroom tub faucet, but that's a pain with tile and all. Of course, the tile is not great either, nor is the tub. So, basically, I need to remodel the bathroom - it's pretty much all 1964. Pity, the tub is cast iron, but the enamel is chipped around the drain. I'll see if that can be fixed cost effectively, but pretty much everything else needs to go. The tile has already tried to fall off the wall, and I'm pretty sure there isn't any concrete backer board behind it.

If its a cast iron tub and not just thin steel there are ways it can be sanded and coated. Mine turned out to be steel.

• Locked thread