Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Holy poo poo, as of tomorrow I've been married for 17 years.

I was 17 years old when I got out of highschool, and my life up until I got out of grade school felt like for-loving-ever.

I don't even notice new grey hairs at this point :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've got family on a small leeward island just south of St. Maartin. They're not home right now, but all bets are off with the condition their house is going to be in. The one benefit is those houses are built out of stone/brick/concrete and weather hurricanes incredibly well... as in, a Cat4 went by a few years back and the house was untouched, but this monster has everyone on edge.

The Netherlands government has taken big public works project like burying services (power/telephone) which will be paying off big time I'm sure.

Stay safe and gtfo if you can. Your house isn't worth dying for.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 6, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

e: Maho Beach webcam before it cut out
https://youtu.be/UUzmRxRRnHM

InitialDave posted:

I always find it odd how much wood is involved in US house construction, especially in areas with strong three little pigs parallels.

It makes more sense in areas with earthquakes, I suppose, but I'd still have thought there were more durable options.

A concrete house in florida would probably sink to the centre of the earth :v:

Ferremit posted:

So apparently I now own a 3rd cat, as long as its not FIV +
If shes FIV+ we'll adopt her out to a single cat house, its just not worth the risk of giving our two healthy cats Kitty Aids if they get into an argument.
Congrats! Keep in mind (and I realize this is probably not an issue anyhow), but FIV tests are absolutely not anywhere near foolproof. Anecdotal experience, we adopted a brother and sister cat from this pile (girl is center with front legs stretched)

and about 3 or so years in the little girl kept vomiting and started losing weight. Alarmed we took her did some tests and came back FIV+. Didn't make sense to us as they were 100% indoor cats and if she had it ever since she was a kitten she should have likely been dead..... and her brother was negative.

Fast forward 3+ years and many, many pounds, she is fine. Took her in for shots a couple years back and for kicks asked the vet to test her again. She came up negative.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 6, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Some photos are coming out of St. Maarten/SXM on CTV

http://www.ctvnews.ca/photo-galleries/hurricane-irma-hits-caribbean-1.3577129

This is inside SXM at the check in counters

That car rental place from above is just down the road from the airport.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think it's amazing we can get video/pictures of poo poo like this same day. Are the cell networks still working down there or do you think they have satellite phones or something?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey you know what's cool in a geeky sad middle aged way? Central vacuums are cool. I just installed my first one in our house and it's loving awesome. Every house I've ever lived in has had the rough in, but i never installed one to have a functional setup until yesterday. Kicks rear end and I wish I did it years ago.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just got off the phone with my in-laws (they live on Saba, just off St. Maarten).

Their place weathered the storm quite well with basically no real damage itself. Yard got the poo poo kicked out of it. Pretty much every home that had lumber construction (mostly at "the bottom" townsite) is obliterated. Basically, if you didn't have a stone/concrete house, it's either destroyed or seriously damaged. Saba had landline telephone and internet working as of yesterday. If all you have for communication is a cell, you're hosed for the foreseeable future.

They have friends on St. Maarten, and that's another story. Place is supposedly something like a warzone. The Government has basically no infrastructure left and people there feel like it's collapsed. They have a daughter who opened a clothing store on Front Street last year and all the business have been looted. The Dutch military has issued curfew and enacted martial law until the government gets back up and running and can put in some sort of order. Sounds like it's the same on the French side.

Basically, if you didn't have a stone/concrete house, it's destroyed.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 8, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

On my cell but the satellite photo I can see on that link doesn't look like anything current

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CommieGIR posted:

Its future predicted based on Euro model runs. So thats about a week and a half from now.

Multiple models are predicting a new Tropical storm, Lee, which may turn into another Hurricane.

Oh geez :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Filter/strainer is the first thing I'd look at too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Based on the stupid as gently caress messages with selling little poo poo, I can't even imagine selling a car. Best guess..between that and questions which area already answered by reading the listing.. 8 each day?

Good luck.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Still rocking my Gen 1 Moto G :bahgawd:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I wanted a 2-3K watt generator for emergency purposes but then noticed my fridge supposedly takes up to a 7A @ 115V ... so I'm questioning the value of getting one if I can't even power our fridge or probably deep freeze with it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

oh god, that makes more sense. I was multiplying it in my head by 1150 instead of 115 :downs:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mixing cleaners is typically not a good thing to do.

So question about generators... what's the benefit of a "inverter" type generator versus a cheaper plain type generator? Is it that the power/wave is much cleaner, stable and better for electronics?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ok thanks for the generator info. I think I'll pick one up next sale I see at Costco.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Anybody want some free plywood? :v:
Stack it next to the house for the inevitable next one?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

'nthing Cograts Larrymer!

Also, as a child of the 80s,
:rip: Bobby the Brain

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Fo3 posted:

Has UPS and fedex gone up in price recently in the US?
Ordering parts from the US to AU right now and it's even more pricey than usual. Two little suspension links* are $80-90 shipping with UPS.
In the past I've got medium size boxes from pelican parts for about $55 fedex. Also I often used FCPeuro because they were $40 UPS (and even only $70 for a huge heavy box with 4 control arms, sway bar links and steering - a full front suspension rebuild). Now fcpeuro want $90 US for two little rear pitman arms sent through UPS.
Pelican parts aren't even offering fedex shipping for them, just $65 USPS. Best deal I can get right now is a bav auto and it's still $57 USPS (or $90 UPS) The parts are cheaper there than pelican anyway.
So have prices gone up generally in the US, or have these shops just got a new bad deal with couriers for international freight or something?

* I can buy from ebay or local or other shops in europe for ~$20ea but they're all generic ones. If I want lemforder or meyle or a brand name for ~$30-40 I still have to buy from the US, (or local dealer OEM which would be $150ea)
Nothing significant that I know of, but if it isn't prime or someone with a flat shipping deal, I'll only get stuff shipped from the US if it's USPS due to horrific courier rates to Canada. Other than that and a must-have, I'll just duck across to my box and pick it up.

My guess is just companies trying to pad their profit margins with shipping and "handling"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Enourmo posted:

I know several women with dozens of stories each that would imply otherwise.
Not an empty quote

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CommieGIR posted:

Deadpool is my favorite Marvel movie.
You have to be the most boring, unfun person alive for this to not be the case.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

fridge corn posted:

Hello. That film was a dumpster fire of bad obvious writing
Thanks for proving my point.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, let's briefly revisit generator chat.

Which way would you go assuming both cost the same:

2100W inverter quiet generator (like the kind you would see in a campground or something) OR 3500W standard, non inverter but with a regulator (the kind mounted with the big cube frame)?

Assuming the 2100W is big enough for your needs of course.

I'm leaning towards the 2100W, since it's just for emergency/rare use, probably safer for electronics and physically much smaller/quieter, but haven't made the plunge yet.

e: Also, both the same brand which seem OK by reviews (Firman)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mekilljoydammit posted:

Firman's OK. We tested that 3500W open frame one at work - as I recall, the engine is kind of understressed in that if you pull full load the electronics are limiting it and the engine's not hitting WOT. Probably a deliberate design decision. We broke it in testing but we were doing some weird things that average owners wouldn't. Have not tested Firman's 2100 watt inverter.

Any of the non-inverter ones are going to vary the frequency a bit with load - the spec they have to meet is somewhere between 63 and 57hz. They're pretty duh-simple though and as you noticed you get a bit more power per dollar. The industrial type guys who use them all the time gravitate towards the open frame ones because they cool better at full load - most of the RV type people gravitate towards the plastic cased ones because they're quieter. If you're not going to be hammering the thing at full load in 100+ degree weather a lot, I do like the plasticey inverters personally.

Thanks for this. I think I'll pick up that 2100W inverter type Firman from Costco. If it sucks I can return it, but I think it will fit the bill for fridge/freezer and possible sump pump duty in case of a power outage.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

cakesmith handyman posted:

For not sleeping with her? What's one night vs the 17 years I've loved my wife, plus what it'd do to my kids.
To be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR I would never, ever advocate cheating on your spouse, and you are a good man for not even seriously considering it, but a one night stand fling =/ divorce, marrying her and breaking your family apart. People have made bad impulsive decisions and had trysts and it doesn't necessarily mean absolute carnage and disaster.

Galler posted:

I would go that route and if you end up needing something bigger for big resistive loads then you can probably get one used for <$200. At least my local craigslist has a bunch of 4-6kW units which supposedly work with asking prices of 150-200.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking too. I did look local for used and there isn't much, and what there is is quite overpriced, but I'm pretty sure the 2k watt will be adequate for what I need.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As a North American, I was shocked when I met a Norwegian who told me about the hoops and bullshit ($$$) he had to go through to import a C4 Vette into his homeland. It was something absurd, like $50-60K equivalent by the time he got it plated and could drive it. I think he paid $15K for it in Canada or US.

Really, really wanted a C4 I guess :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Adds $30/month to have it on my policy, with comprehensive ($250 deductible) and UM/UIM (property and bodily injury).

So... not terribly painful.

e: OTOH I can't cough up $1500ish right now, so I'll probably hold off. More that likely it's just going to sit in his driveway for the next year or two (he tends to do that when he gets a new car, driving the sitting car once a month for a day or so), so it'll probably still be there when I do have the money. His BMW (98 325i, nothing special before you guys get pissy) sat for 4 years, only getting driven when the Prius was in the shop or his wife's car was in the shop, and he finally sold it to another coworker a couple of months ago.
Is there a reason you don't buy it and sell the Saturn for whatever you can get? Or do you want 2 regular cars for some reason?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone here ever get any bespoke clothes (suits or even jeans) from one of the several online sources that seem to be around now?

How did it go? Any tips?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you're looking for a suit, I've had good luck twice now with a guy in town who measures, outsources the actual fabrication of the garment to Vietnam, and then he does follow-up alterations as needed.

Yeah that kind of thing would appeal to me, but all my local suit stores are chains are chains (like Moores) or a small independent but only seems to offer high, high end stuff, like well into $4-figures$ suits if a guy wants custom.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Might be worth a trip into the big city, then. I can pass you the details in PM.

Yeah, why don't you thanks. I don't get north that often, but I'm not in a rush.

Still not against trying an online source though if anyone has had good luck and can describe the process.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Without journeying into SH/SC, what's the easiest way to extract a windows key? I want to reinstall windows for the first time in years but not sure which key I'm using.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Windows 8.1

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo, I've literally been on hold with my insurance company waiting for someone to pick up the phone for over 100 minutes now. I checked their twitter and they are getting crucified by people and awful wait times since the summer. I would like to hang up, but I've got the sunk cost fallacy with time as the currency pretty drat heavy right now :sigh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So last week I tripped over my own size 13 flippers and cracked my head open. After relentless prodding over the following couple hours by Mrs. Slidebite, I went to the local clinic which resulted in stitches. They made me an appt 1 week later (today) to get them removed. Since I had to come back, I thought I should finally get the blood work requisition filled I've had in the truck since spring so I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone . I didn't want to do it, but I know I should. Sort of like someone who suspects they have cancer but doesn't want to go to the doctor to hear about it. I know I've got some risk factors for fat white guys diseases, I drink like a fish, borderline hypertension, eat candy and snacks like a 6 year old, overweight and as of next month, mid 40s. The past month I've made a few lifestyle changes (cut back drastically on drinking and started some regular exercise with Taekwondo) but it's only been for a couple weeks at that time.

Get into her office about an hour ago, sit down. Nurse takes my BP. She mumbles something and types it into the computer. I ask her what it was, she says "Oh, the doctor will talk to you about it."

loving great. :sigh:

Doctor comes in, sits down and starts talking. She asks me how I'm feeling, which I say is fine, but I'm nervous as hell now. Says she got my lab results from the bloodwork.

.... which was perfectly normal. Everything. Not even high normal for anything. Definitely not even remotely diabetic (which tbh concerned me a bit since I have a bit of a ravenous sweet tooth), liver, kidneys, electrolytes, everything right where it should be. Lipids look great. Blood pressure is slightly elevated (138/68) but just coming into the office and being nervous she's fine with it to. Says for me to keep with the the Taekwondo and keep limiting the booze I'll be around for a long, long time yet.

gently caress me. Gonna get hammered and eat 5lbs of wings tonight to celebrate :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Man that's terrible. Can you muzzle him when he is out?

Magnus Praeda posted:

:ssh: I still eat like poo poo, though.
Me too. Literally haven't changed my diet one smidgen but cut back on booze somewhat.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 27, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

angryrobots posted:

It would be worthwhile to get an automatic BP monitor and check it once in awhile, make sure it's closer to "good" when you're at home and not nervous.

Yeah, I actually have one of those but it is so lovely I don't use it, I should probably just throw it away and get a new one. It is something like 10+ years old so I imagine they have to be more reliable now....right?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

:respek:

I still have my CoolerMaster Elite 130, with my i5 4570 and GTX 960, and like 8TB of disk space. I'm setting it up to be headless RN, and it'll continue to serve my plex shows and other things in the garage or next to the TV. The new computer will be mainly school and gaming, so I don't have all of my computer use eggs in one basket.

Never going back to a full tower. ITX for life.

That's my htpc right there. i3-4130 gtx960 unit. Reliable as hell once I got rid of that flaky Asus motherboard. A little tight of the assemble though, but nice once together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Talk to him like a human, and if he says gently caress YOU or doesn't do anything, talk to the building management people. If they can't do anything, call the cops as a last resort. Obscenely loud cars and potato-potato-potato bikes one of my major annoyances and I've reluctantly had to call LE on assholes before. Last time was only after taking the time to repeatedly talk to the mouthbreathing kid and his dad... who said his kid was broke because he kept getting speeding tickets and spending money on his piece of poo poo for :rice:. He did however promise to fix the lovely, missing exhaust on his trash heap which was an absolutely clapped out JDM soarer. Never did, so he ended up with something like a $300 fine. Car was parked last time I saw it. gently caress that kid.

• Locked thread