Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Learning a new track is also part of the challenge, there's some real fun technical bits in the smaller Rio layouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
fwiw rio is one of the best drift tracks with several variants/sections that are great in multiplayer. i'm pretty sure they purposely limit tracks like that to the competitive drift modes specifically to entice players that would otherwise just sit on the open track day drift servers forever doing nothing but maple valley conga lines

drifting is probably one of the most popular things people do with forza 7 and the way the gameplay feels is so good if you go back and compare it to the older games so trying the current physics on classic tracks would be fun as heck

General Probe posted:

Bring back Fujimi Kaido

:amen:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Are there any of the old FM4 goons still lurking around? I haven’t had any console except Switch since 360 but I really miss the days of dice racing and/or sinking a ton of time into a car for the old endurance races we did. I don’t keep up with this thread a lot because I couldn’t possibly care less about the Horizon series. Anyway, I don’t know when the next iteration of Forza Motorsport will come around, but I fully intend to buy a Series X and would love nothing more than racing with the old (and new!) regulars.

Also FM2 and FM3 had the best soundtracks, don’t @ me.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

webmeister posted:

Just installed FH4 after grabbing GamePass for Crusader Kings 3 and man, I loving suck at this.

I almost feel like there’s something I’m doing wrong? Basically every car faster than the starter Audi TT wants to spin out constantly. I’m using a fairly old 360 controller which might not help, but I’m really struggling and I have no idea why. Basically I’ll be driving at speed, slightly feather the steering to adjust for an upcoming corner or whatever and the car will react like I’ve jammed on full lock. The rear starts to lose traction so I back off the throttle and either try to let it correct, or counter steer. Either way I usually end up in an uncontrollable slide off the road.

I’ve played racing games since the original Original Test Drive in like 1989, so I have no idea why I’m sucking so much. Any ideas?

Apologies for quoting myself from two months ago here, but....

I'm a complete loving idiot. Even after setting the controller sensitivity to minimum, deadzones to max etc, I enjoyed things enough to persevere through to level 200, finish all the stories and businesses and now I'm just loving around with seasons and generally feeling close to done with the game.

I've literally only just noticed that for some reasons, my video settings had the max FPS capped at 30.

I've since switched the cap to 60 FPS and holy poo poo it's basically a totally different game. Still a little bit twitchy for my liking, but I don't consistently finish last in the weekly Trial races and feel like a complete dead weight in Playground Games. Unbelievable.

So yeah, it seems ridiculous but doubling the FPS took it from "fun but sometimes infuriatingly unplayable" to "wow this game is actually really good when you can steer properly".

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Stupid question but I haven't played FH4 for a long time now and have been too busy and distracted by other games with seasonal things and the whole "fear of missing out" stuff. I just saw a video in my YouTube subscriptions for an amazing looking car in Horizon 4 called the "Porsche 911 reimagined by Singer" and it turns out it's a reward for completing 50% of the 29th Summer season? I had no idea FH4 had this kind of thing as well but is there any way to acquire cars that have been awarded like this (or even just this car specifically) via the auction house or anything? Or is it a case of missing out if you don't have the free time to dedicate at the moment?

I'm not sure if it makes a difference having bought the ultimate VIP edition of the game that I thought would grant access to everything? I can't keep up with how many games have seasonal stuff at this point.

:negative:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Ultimate/VIP gives you access to the DLC content, of which there are just shy of 100 cars I believe last I checked? But season rewards are not "DLC" in the traditional sense and are exclusive to seasonal progression. Although, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these cars can be won in wheelspins unlike the DLC cars

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

SUNKOS posted:

Stupid question but I haven't played FH4 for a long time now and have been too busy and distracted by other games with seasonal things and the whole "fear of missing out" stuff. I just saw a video in my YouTube subscriptions for an amazing looking car in Horizon 4 called the "Porsche 911 reimagined by Singer" and it turns out it's a reward for completing 50% of the 29th Summer season? I had no idea FH4 had this kind of thing as well but is there any way to acquire cars that have been awarded like this (or even just this car specifically) via the auction house or anything? Or is it a case of missing out if you don't have the free time to dedicate at the moment?

I'm not sure if it makes a difference having bought the ultimate VIP edition of the game that I thought would grant access to everything? I can't keep up with how many games have seasonal stuff at this point.

Cars that are added to the game this way you can find in the auction house, tho at the beginning that can be quite tricky as demand is high and only few of the cars are being sold. New cars often come back again in later seasons, giving you a new chance to unlock them but that can take several weeks/months.

barnold posted:

Although, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these cars can be won in wheelspins unlike the DLC cars

They cannot, unfortunately.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

:negative:

The Auction House is going to be your only option for seasonal cars you may have missed out on. Just be prepared to pay a high price for some of them.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 24, 2020

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

T-Square posted:

Are there any of the old FM4 goons still lurking around? I haven’t had any console except Switch since 360 but I really miss the days of dice racing and/or sinking a ton of time into a car for the old endurance races we did. I don’t keep up with this thread a lot because I couldn’t possibly care less about the Horizon series. Anyway, I don’t know when the next iteration of Forza Motorsport will come around, but I fully intend to buy a Series X and would love nothing more than racing with the old (and new!) regulars.

Also FM2 and FM3 had the best soundtracks, don’t @ me.

I'm not an old FM4 goon but if anyone is ever trying to get a lobby going in FM2/3/4, my 360 is hooked up and ready to rumble pretty much any time. Having a 360 seems to be uncommon these days for obvious reasons but I have so many games not on the BC list that I've kept my slim in my media center all these years :toot:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for the answers! Relief to know that they'll be available via the auction house :)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Crossposting from steam thread. Internet makes it seem like a common issue.

buglord posted:

Asking here because it’s basically pc gaming general, but I’m having trouble launching forza horizon 4 using gamepass. I click launch on the Xbox app, I get a FH4 splash screen, which then closes after a few seconds, then no game launch.

Event viewer says “Unable to start a DCOM server: MicrosoftSunriseBaseGame...”

Anyone have an idea?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

buglord posted:

Crossposting from steam thread. Internet makes it seem like a common issue.

Are you logged in with a local user or your MS/Hello/Live account?
I had god awful store problems until i switched to a windows "account"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
After a reformat, I logged in with a local account. Then when I signed up for gamepass on the app, it automatically connected turned my account to a Microsoft one (my old background updated too). I’m imagining that didn’t transition properly?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

buglord posted:

After a reformat, I logged in with a local account. Then when I signed up for gamepass on the app, it automatically connected turned my account to a Microsoft one (my old background updated too). I’m imagining that didn’t transition properly?

huh I didn't know windows could do that. Does this account have a @live.com address associated with it?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Everything about Microsoft accounts just feels like such a hodge-podge of drama and poorly thought-out solutions. Somehow my rarely-used Hotmail account from 20 years ago (complete with embarassing nickname) has become the main login for my laptop which is both impressive and stupid.

OP: have you tried the basic stuff? Log out of everything, update the Xbox app, the Store app etc. Disable any malware/firewall stuff you might have running. If you go into the Add & Remove Programs screen, try the Advanced Options for FH4 and do the whole Repair / Reset thing. Maybe also try re-downloading the DLC packs, regardless of whether you've bought them or not (it just downloads but doesn't activate if you haven't bought). Last step is of course to just reinstall, which I've found is usually the main fix for GamePass games that stop working. Pain in the arse when it's 85GB of downloading though.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Does this work? I just googled your error.

Open Services app
Scroll down to Windows PushToInstall Service
Right click on it and start the service
Start Forza 7 4

Also heard downloading some DLC will get it to go away, or "workaround is to start downloading any app from the microsoft store(you can cancel when it starts to download) and restart the game"

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>
Is "time traveling" backwards in FH4 to unlock certain seasonal rewards still a thing? I remember unlocking the FXXEvo by doing that a couple months ago, but it didn't seem to work today. idk this is probably considered exploiting but I hate paying 12 mil for timelocked cars

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Every time I boot up FH4 it starts me at Lego Island. I’ve travelled to the Mainland and saved at houses but that hasn’t fixed the problem. Is this a known bug or am I (probably) doing something wrong?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Fly Ricky posted:

I’ve traveled to the Mainland and saved at houses but that hasn’t fixed the problem.

By "saved at" do you mean you have set it as your home? I can't remember where the option is but there is something that allows you to select one of your houses as your home residence, that's what the game uses to pick your spawn location.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Does anyone have any guesses as to when Forza Motorsport 7 will be delisted from the store?

I was hoping the new Motorsport game would be a launch title for the new Xbox but all we got was a trailer with glimpses of Laguna Seca. The reason I'm asking is because I'm eager to know what the track list will be for the new Forza game and if it has a lot of tracks that I've missed but really like (my last Motorsport game is 5) then I'll skip 7 and wait for it, but I'm worried tracks like Maple Valley will disappear again for a long time and Rio looks really fun as well along with tracks like Brands Hatch, Watkins Glen & Sonoma of course.

It seems that Turn 10 is breaking from their two-year development cycle for the first time and I hope that means they bring a lot of great tracks over, but the presentation on that teaser trailer has me worried they're going to try something like GT Sport which would really suck, imo. Their gradual shift to more real-life tracks and less fictional tracks (which they are great at designing) has been disappointing to see. Watching them obsess over Virginia Raceway while Camino Viejo is still stuck in the 360-era games is frustrating.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Incessant Excess posted:

By "saved at" do you mean you have set it as your home? I can't remember where the option is but there is something that allows you to select one of your houses as your home residence, that's what the game uses to pick your spawn location.

Ahh, that’s gotta be it. Much appreciated.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Is there still an active forza goon community with FM7? I recently got a G29 and I am in severe need to race something other than AI or online pubbies.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fh4 is getting another free add-on that lets you make your own stunt courses and it looks pretty rad

unsurprisingly the official forza forum is filled with people bitching that it's not realistic and is an insult to ~automotive enthusiasts~

Steak posted:

Is there still an active forza goon community with FM7? I recently got a G29 and I am in severe need to race something other than AI or online pubbies.

no, we tried to do one when it released but it fizzled out extremely quickly because forza 7 bad

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Steak posted:

Ive been having a lot of fun in Forza 7, though I've been sticking to E D and C class cars. Add me if you want!! "notcage" is my xbox name.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

no, we tried to do one when it released but it fizzled out extremely quickly because forza 7 bad

What’s bad about it?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Not the music. :coal:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Brain Curry posted:

What’s bad about it?

on launch, basically everything. i still can't believe that they launched forza 7 in the state that they did and had the gall to charge full price for it. it was unstable as gently caress, online lobbies were so hosed up that you might as well not even bother trying to play online, like 150 cars were just totally unobtainable and likely intended for the lootbox system that they thankfully eventually ditched because everyone loving hated it, there was a shitton of other problems and you can prolly just go back and read this thread around the launch of forza 7 to get a full picture. a bunch of goons who had played the series since at least fm3 ended up refunding 7 because it launched in such a catastrophic state. it was absurd and i will absolutely fuckin never buy a forza game at launch or at full price ever again.

today, the main menu still looks like a depressing run-down mechanic shop, the menus are still absolutely terribly laid out, car selection is still mind-meltingly sluggish, they never fixed the online voice problems (though this has admittedly been a problem since forza fuckin 5 for some goddamn reason), the soundtrack is still rear end, and in general they just haven't done gently caress-all the update to game in any meaningful way or even bothered to release any dlc for the drat thing. granted i'm sure a lot of their time was spent un-loving everything they hosed up in the first place, but still. the absolute best that can be said about forza 7 now is that it is only somewhat less poo poo than 6, compared with launch when it was an absolute tire fire.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
But more people are playing now that its on game pass so if you didn't like it before give it another shot!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want the devs to go back to Forza Motorsport 4, but with better physics, more cars, and more tracks. That was the peak of the Forza series, it's still the best game in the series by far.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

I just want the devs to go back to Forza Motorsport 4, but with better physics, more cars, and more tracks. That was the peak of the Forza series, it's still the best game in the series by far.

honestly i'd be happy in the next forza game adopts a similar ethos to what fh4 has done, with loads of free updates, some cool dlc, and then they just don't release a new forza game for a good long while afterward. i am extremely dubious as 'games as a service' in general, but fh4 has done a really good job of displaying how to do that model correctly and keep players engaged. a forza 8 that keeps updating over a few years with new tracks and cars and poo poo, rather than releasing a whole new forza game two years later, would be great (unless forza 8 is a repeat of 7, but since even turn 10 admitted that 7 was a gigantic gently caress-up i'd hope they wouldn't release another gently caress-up).

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

fh4 is getting another free add-on that lets you make your own stunt courses and it looks pretty rad

unsurprisingly the official forza forum is filled with people bitching that it's not realistic and is an insult to ~automotive enthusiasts~

They whined about the Hot Wheels expansion too which is stupid. The Horizon series has always and unquestionably been less serious and taken more liberty than Motorsport. I love both series BECAUSE they're different. Sometimes you just want to hoon around somewhere in the most ridiculous vehicle possible and sometimes you want to fulfill you sim racer dreams.

General Probe fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 8, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
If you're not down with doing loop de loops with an LS3 swapped Prius with a catgirl livery, why do you hate fun and what are you even doing in this game?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still really like Forza 7, but it is a step backwards and its technical issues that were never fixed cant be ignored. Really hoping that the upcoming Motorsport goes back to the Xbox 360 era Motorsport. The main thing I like about Forza 7 is that its the most realistic the series has been to date, but just about everything else was a step backwards.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

skooma512 posted:

If you're not down with doing loop de loops with an LS3 swapped Prius with a catgirl livery, why do you hate fun and what are you even doing in this game?

I used a quartz regalia d in the seasonal lego co-op trial this week, and apparently that’s a car from final fantasy. Boring plain black paint though

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
RE the microsoft account issue causing FH7 to crash: a reformat worked. I think it had something to do with me not logging into my microsoft account immediately upon windows installation, and instead waiting for the MS Store login to automatically elevate my desktop account when signing into the store.

Is treasure island worth paying for? Any of the other DLCs? I want more maps to do fun stunts, sign smashing and road collections in.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

treasure island is good as is lego island, though neither are nearly as good as fh3's hot wheels dlc

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Heads up, there's a new street race in the Edinburgh called _:NIGHTCITY.EXE:_ and winning it gives you a car from Cyberpunk 2077

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

Heads up, there's a new street race in the Edinburgh called _:NIGHTCITY.EXE:_ and winning it gives you a car from Cyberpunk 2077

Thanks for the heads-up! It is a rad loving car.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

at least there's one game now that can render it properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Ruffian Price posted:

at least there's one game now that can render it properly

HAH! Yes. That game is surprisingly blurry on my ONE X. A drunken pre-order. I *was* intending to wait for a while, since I've other games in the go in any case, but the bourbon said otherwise.