Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
The store is only gonna download a placeholder for the game until actual pre-loads begin like maybe up to a week before actual unlock. Best start cleaning out that SSD cause that 100GB train of 4k textures is coming through whether you wanted it to or not. Also they're just higher quality assets that will be visible even without a 4k display, but it remains to be seen if it makes much difference or if they're just going to almost double the game size for little difference like the Fallout 4 HD textures.

A bit late on this cause I wasn't sure whether or not to post it in this thread or the FM6, but I'm only doing these leading up to the release of 7, anyways. Discounts for the week of September 5th thru the 11th:
  • Forza Motorsport 6 - All editions 40% off
  • Forza Motorsport 6 Complete Add-Ons Collection - 75% off
  • Forza Horizon 2: Storm Island - 75% off
  • Forza Motorsport 5 VIP - 85% off
  • Forza Motorsport 5 Car Pass 75% off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

SAEG, we are so doing a racing truck spec. That is absolutely 100% happening. I'm gonna go find the nearest thing I can to an official spec (like I did with the Renault Clio spec) and put it in this game.

We're basically going to recreate the bit of the matrix where they scorch the sky.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Thats the same one Mercedes race truck thats in Forza 6 so don't think you'd need a spec, just let everyone use a stock one! Would be cool if they added some more race trucks as dlc or something down the line.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
FM 7 has Gone Gold. Demo Sept. 19 for PC and Xbox One.

https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm7_gonegold

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WienerDog posted:

FM 7 has Gone Gold. Demo Sept. 19 for PC and Xbox One.

https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm7_gonegold

Lets loving gooooooooooo! Excited for the demo.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Ok, I'm hyped. Next weekend is my birthday. The weekend after is FM7 because i just ordered Ultimate

FORZA RIIIIICK!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
As my dad was chief mechanic for a British truck racing team... yes, all the yes.

Sadly, it was before I was born so no memories to share. :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm thinking about getting back in to Forza and trying to figure out if my fiancee will put up with a steering wheel setup. What's the preferred wheel for xbox these days?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

geeves posted:

Forza 6 is mostly: Robot chat or

Lobby: Person A talks, heard by Person B not by Person C, can't hear Person C

Loading Screen: Person A talks, heard by Person B and Person C, can't hear Person B

Race: Person A talks, heard by Person C, not by Person B, can't heard either A or B.
Yeah but then there was the one lobby I joined where two chavs got into a flamewar so racist it ended in threats to drive to each other's homes and fight IRL. I don't even think it started over a crash but I was laughing so I hard I almost missed the start of the next race.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i like how the microsoft store app doesn't seem to tell you your total after taxes before you pay

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Achievement list for 7 has now dropped: https://www.trueachievements.com/n29791/ta-exclusive-forza-motorsport-7-achievement-list

Reveals that career will have an "Elite mode" that makes you do the entire thing all over again, and everyone's favorite impossible achievement from 6 is back.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Achievement list for 7 has now dropped: https://www.trueachievements.com/n29791/ta-exclusive-forza-motorsport-7-achievement-list

Reveals that career will have an "Elite mode" that makes you do the entire thing all over again, and everyone's favorite impossible achievement from 6 is back.

What's the impossible one?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it's the one where you have to start from the back in a multiplayer race and win.

quote:

Underdog Start last and finish first in a Multiplayer race with 24 cars 15

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I think it's the one where you have to start from the back in a multiplayer race and win.

Couldn't you cheese this one with an online lobby filled with "Easy" AI?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
The Forza 6 achievement made you do it in a public lobby

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Two of the other ones that have been impossible for me are "earn 50000 credits from the community using your tune/design" and they're both back. gently caress those achievements.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Two of the other ones that have been impossible for me are "earn 50000 credits from the community using your tune/design" and they're both back. gently caress those achievements.

If you're getting the game on release, immediately post some schemes and tunes to the community.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

If only I knew wtf I was doing with regards to tuning

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Does anybody have a list of new cars? Have they added anything that hasn't been in previous Forza games?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

L_Harrison posted:

If you're getting the game on release, immediately post some schemes and tunes to the community.

Yeah make some deplorable trump covfefe Pepe thing before you do anything else and it will sell like loving hotcakes.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

This is going to be my first Forza game since I've mainly been a playstation owner. I do play some sim titles on PC and will be playing this on PC. What are the main differences between Forza and Gran Turismo?

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Jarf posted:

Does anybody have a list of new cars? Have they added anything that hasn't been in previous Forza games?

1950 Alfa 158
2017 Bentley #17A LIQUI MOLY Bentley Team M-Sport Continental GT3
2017 Holden #22 Mobil 1 HSV Racing Walkinshaw Performance VF Commodore
2003 Holden Commodore Ute
1988 #1 Silk Cut Jaguar XJR-9
2017 Mercedes-Benz #33 Mac Tools Ciceley Motorsport A-Class (A45) NGTC
2017 #23 Nissan Motorsport Altima V8
2017 #1 Porsche LMP Team 919 Hybrid
1988 #17 Dunlop/Shell Porsche AG 962C
2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS w/ Weissach Package (991.2)
2017 #27 Renault Sport F1 Team R.S.17
1993 #1 Team Toyota T100 SR5 Trophy Truck
1992 #99 All American Racers Toyota Eagle Mk III

A couple are just reskins I think. And some updated NASCAR, Indycar, and Formula E teams, and that's about it. I find it hard to believe that it required their entire development team to work in dynamic weather and stuff, so I wonder why the list of new cars is so drat short.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

L_Harrison posted:

1988 #1 Silk Cut Jaguar XJR-9

Found my R class car.

:fap:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KidDynamite posted:

This is going to be my first Forza game since I've mainly been a playstation owner. I do play some sim titles on PC and will be playing this on PC. What are the main differences between Forza and Gran Turismo?

They are games of a similar style. Lots of collecting cars, a big variety of tracks, sim-cadeish handling. Forza has the benefit of a cohesive user interface (it doesn't use that stupid mouse pointer mechanic of Gran Turismo)

Any cars (well the vast majority, other than the dozen or so unicorn cars) can be bought anytime you want them (if you have the in-game credits for them). Not like that dumb used car dealer from GT5.
There are no license tests.
The cars sound like cars, not vacuum cleaners.
It's easier to control with a controller than GT games are, but it sounds like you'll probably be using a wheel.
You can't drive on the moon.
You don't get the batshit crazy cars like the red bull X or the gt concept cars.
Every single car has an interior and there's no "standard" and "premium" car models like in GT. GT has PP when you modify a car.
Forza has PI, and they have well defined letter classes to delineate what class your car falls in to a given PI. Like 0-200 is F, 201-450 is E (these figures are just an example) and the races in the game will be divided by class. This way instead of just having "front wheel drive sedan cars under 300PP" like in GT, you get a wider variety of cars with even performance. Online lobbies are also divided up into these letter classes. You can further customize lobbies/races by setting what drive type, manufacturer, manufacturer region, and all kinds of other poo poo but a lot of times car class is good for just keeping everything even.
There's no toyota in Forza 7 for some licensing reason. Hopefully it will be addressed in DLC later on.
There's very little other than circuit racing. There will be a couple oval tracks but I don't think there's any dirt/rally tracks.

There are lots of other little differences but I can't think of any more right now.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

GutBomb posted:

They are games of a similar style. Lots of collecting cars, a big variety of tracks, sim-cadeish handling. Forza has the benefit of a cohesive user interface (it doesn't use that stupid mouse pointer mechanic of Gran Turismo)

Any cars (well the vast majority, other than the dozen or so unicorn cars) can be bought anytime you want them (if you have the in-game credits for them). Not like that dumb used car dealer from GT5.
There are no license tests.
The cars sound like cars, not vacuum cleaners.
It's easier to control with a controller than GT games are, but it sounds like you'll probably be using a wheel.
You can't drive on the moon.
You don't get the batshit crazy cars like the red bull X or the gt concept cars.
Every single car has an interior and there's no "standard" and "premium" car models like in GT. GT has PP when you modify a car.
Forza has PI, and they have well defined letter classes to delineate what class your car falls in to a given PI. Like 0-200 is F, 201-450 is E (these figures are just an example) and the races in the game will be divided by class. This way instead of just having "front wheel drive sedan cars under 300PP" like in GT, you get a wider variety of cars with even performance. Online lobbies are also divided up into these letter classes. You can further customize lobbies/races by setting what drive type, manufacturer, manufacturer region, and all kinds of other poo poo but a lot of times car class is good for just keeping everything even.
There's no toyota in Forza 7 for some licensing reason. Hopefully it will be addressed in DLC later on.
There's very little other than circuit racing. There will be a couple oval tracks but I don't think there's any dirt/rally tracks.

There are lots of other little differences but I can't think of any more right now.

This is awesome info thanks! It seems like there is very little I will miss about GT. Though I might miss license tests a little. They were fun but sometimes frustrating.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WienerDog posted:

Couldn't you cheese this one with an online lobby filled with "Easy" AI?

nope! has to be real people.

i got it :smugdog:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Jarf posted:

Found my R class car.

:fap:

If they keep the current class setup that's P class. Same as the 787b.

It's a really fun drive if it's set up correctly.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

KidDynamite posted:

The last GT I played was 5, and the last Forza I played was 4, so this isn't exactly an up-to-date opinion, but in my experience:

GT 5 was a really good driving sim but sucked horribly at every other possible aspect of being a game.
It was basically a tedious grind-fest. For every minute of real fun worth having, you spent probably 1.5 minutes on loading screens and another 3 minutes on grinding.
Rewards for racing were completely pitiful and prices for cars reflected real world prices.
Also look up GT5 "paint chips" to get a feel for how poo poo some of this game's systems were.

Forza 4's driving sim aspect was just as good, and comparatively as a game, Forza 4 was a fantasy dreamland.
No tedious grinding as the game constantly throws cars your way and the actual game progression/race layout was super clean and well organized and really felt as much like a really well laid-out level select screen giving you access to everything instantly.
Also there was free play where you could take any car in the game on any track at all and drive for hotlaps or against AI. The only downside was that you couldn't mod the cars. You could pick from any stock color though.
Also the car selection is way less Japan-centric so you get a better mix of everything.

So basically in my mind there couldn't be less of a contest. I literally have not played or considered playing any GT game since I touched Forza. So there's my biased answer.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
GT 5 wasn't a good driving sim though because their tire model revolves around the misconception that performance cars are meant to be impossible to drive if it's a ~*TRUE SIMULATION*~ (they aren't, I drive one all the time) and that a Nissan 350z can't go around a banked oval's corner at freeway speeds without losing tire adhesion.

I will agree it was a massive grindfest and it was more fun to run B-Spec mode while mashing the "pass that other car that's going half as fast as you can go you fuckwit AI" button while you watch TV/Netflix than it was to actually play.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gran turismo 5 just made me sad cause i used to love that series a lot and 5 was just dogshit. even in a vacuum where forza didn't exist, it would've been a bad game, but comparing it to what forza 3 was doing at the same time that gt5 dropped...yeesh.

like, i prolly wouldn't be into forza nor car culture if not for gran turismo. it is an important game series for me and i hate that 5 and 6 sucked so hard.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

guess my subconscious was tryin to say something lol

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The first car I ever drove in Gran Turismo 1 was the NSX which I immediately got into a mid-first-corner tankslapper because I lifted when I shouldn't have and then promptly understeered into a wall on the next corner because I was still going too fast (no impediment in every other racing game before that) and I was in love forever with realistic driving games on the day that game was released. I had a part time gig at a Software Etc. at the time so I had borrowed the copy that the display box was missing, and took it to play with my college gaming bros and we were hooked forever. Bought a copy the next day I worked. I still race online regularly with two of those guys, but it's all Forza now. I continue to rock an NSX whenever I'm trying to have a really good competitive car in Forzas and have been making the same one since Forza 2.

I hope Polyphony can pull their heads out of their asses someday, but at this point I have zero faith in their vision or ability to implement it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
P class really needs to be split into P1 and P2 at 950. The One:1 has no business in the same race as a 919, 962c or Indy cars.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I played Gran Turismo Sport in VR and it was pretty amazing. The level of immersion and realism in how it felt, was beyond anything else in any racing game to date.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

anyone down to do a farewell to forza 6/get hyped for forza 7 session this weekend? if we don't have many people we could just do public races in the abc's hopper.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sir Lord Greenawalt, it is Forza Demo Eve, thank you for your blessings and Maple Valley.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Looks like they didn't change the hilariously terrible AI in Project Cars at all for 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N90HMPL8VxM

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Between 6-10pm GMT +10 there's anywhere from 3 to 10 of us still banging out unlimited rwd drift hoppers or a private lobby for shenanigans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Looks like they didn't change the hilariously terrible AI in Project Cars at all for 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N90HMPL8VxM

drat. At least in PCars 1, it took a few turns before they blocked the track. I see they've expedited that for the sequel.