Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Asheville. We have a pretty strong mtg scene and most mtg nerds like playing other games, so I expect some people to pick it up at the lgs I attend. I'm friends with the owners and employees and they're all getting into it anyway so I expect any events to be run well and not have weird poo poo like your incident. We just don't have a judge so we have to Google questions we have. If I got more into it competitively I'd consider going to charlotte for an event. Which stores are you talking about?

Spandex City is the iffy joint. They are nice enough people and they have a decent little play space, but just a weird experience last time. They were passing that off as being by-the-book officious, as if they entered all the information in whatever Wizkids site they report to, and that's how the winner was determined, which didn't make any sense to me. But they have an ice cream vendor in the store, so there's that. I think they only play every other Thursday evening anyway.

The place I like best is Rebel Base in South Charlotte. The play space isn't the best - the hallway outside the store - but I like the people and they are all about casual fun more than hyper-competitiveness. They have games on Sunday afternoons - and sometimes on Wednesdays for release day sealed tourneys, where the store gives 15% off all Heroclix product on those days.

The other place I sometimes play is Parker Banner Kent Wayne in Cornelius. They play games on Mondays. There is some occasional overlap with players there and at Rebel Base sometimes, but they usually tend to lean a little more competitive with the team builds - like no shame in using resources and ID cards and what-not. But they at least appreciate goofball builds like I come up with from time to time. Also, the "Fellowship" winner (who is usually the last place finisher) gets to decide the format of the next week's event, so if you prefer casual games you can take that opportunity to make one yourself. The main frustration with them is that the store isn't timely about advertising their games on the official site - most of the player base has an online chat on GroupMe where the information gets out to the regulars, but that doesn't help with growing the playerbase. The store sometimes doesn't put the game on the Wizkids tourney site until maybe an hour before the event, which is no help to anybody. They do have a crap ton of playing space, though, so I like to go there when I can, and I'm on the GroupMe thing so I can find out what the games are. Also, there are a couple of generally friendly people there who nonetheless have a jokey rivalry with each other, and it's off-putting because they'll make jokes on the app comparing their losses to getting raped, and that makes me twitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the store rundown, I'll keep those in mind for the future.

Last question for now: what's the best site for referencing single figure prices and/or browsing a figure selection?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Thanks for the store rundown, I'll keep those in mind for the future.

Last question for now: what's the best site for referencing single figure prices and/or browsing a figure selection?

Troll & Toad and Strike Zone are both fairly decent (last I looked, anyway) and both have presences on eBay that can sometimes make shipping costs worth it when it comes to savings on the figures themselves (or maybe the other way around).

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I tend to find StrikeZone a little overpriced. CoolStuffInc is also a decent place.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I wont give T&T business because of how lovely they are about mtg singles; they frequently and knowingly sell stuff as near mint when it's clearly several grades below that and then just give partial refunds closer to what it should cost for the condition to the people that actually complain. They also grade insanely harshly when buying cards, then resell those cards and market them as better condition than they actually are.

The rest though, I'll check out.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I just go to ebay, search for a figure and then filter it to sold listings. Drop the Highest and Lowest and take the average.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Is there a preference towards maps or some that are good? The shop has a few of the big heavy maps that are made on the same material as mousepads and card playmats that were nice, but they were a bit high.

Is there a reasonable Defenders themed team? Iron Fist and Luke Cage were two of my favorite characters years back when I was heavy into comics, I love street level heroes.
So nobody really got into this with you, but maps are actually a somewhat big tactical element in the game -- terrain and lines of fire are big deals, and you want to pick a map that accentuates what your team is good at and hopefully disrupts your opponent's strategy. (Now having said that, anyone who's ever played me will tell you, I ignore all my own good advice and insist on playing every single match on the Bridge because it is my favorite map and I love it.) You'll want a collection of maps so you can bring a few advantageous ones with you when you play. The good news is, Heroclix absolutely throws maps at you. Fast Forces come with maps. Starters come with maps. New set comes out? New map. Organized Play event? Maps. Your collection will build very quickly.

As for the Defenders, you may want to pick up the Avengers/Defenders War Fast Forces, which has very good versions of Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and their Netflix street level buddies. Plus a map! And like Morand said, the entire AVDW set is crawling with them. The units section on HCRealms is an invaluable tool, both for team-building and also for looking for figures. Click the different set icons and you'll get setlists, or if you're looking for a particular character just search for that name.

Here's a link to the WizKids Information Network (WIN), which you'll want to make an account on sooner than later, and if you want to turn your LGS into a venue, they'll want to get an account and get set up there too. Getting WizKids support for your events gets you the maps I was talking about before, and also special figures that can only be won in tournament play. Also, for you right now: See that "Find Stores and More" field right at the top? Click it, put in your zip code, filter for HeroClix, and search. Now you have a list of all the venues by you and what upcoming events they're running. Try some of them out. Not only is getting your rear end kicked by experienced players the only way to learn the game, but again like Morand said, they will absolutely drown you in Heroclix figures and you'll be doing them a favor by taking them off their hands.

Have fun!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Fast Forces don't have maps anymore, they used to but they stopped doing that a few years ago. I think the Thunderbolts one that came out with the first Deadpool set was the last to have a map.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Huh, really? Well, that's me looking stupid, then.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm probably going to buy that AVDV fast forces pack, that's exactly the heroes I wanted some of. Perfect. For competitions, is it best of 3? How do you decide who picks the maps?

My lgs recently got Wizkids certified, so that's a good thing. Any time the owners get into a game they push it really hard and they're all into heroclix now. They've got 2 neoprene maps for people to demo on, an avengers starter team, an x-force team with a 150 point Cable that was wrecking poo poo last time I played, and a few others like Gandalf and hobbits.

You folks have been super helpful! I'll report back after a few games, likely with more questions.

edit: also, is there an SA-mart thread for heroclix? I used to buy/sell a lot in the figure thread, but that was like 10 years ago (holy poo poo). I want to get a good Doctor Strange for defenders as well, maybe a Ghost Rider and Namor too.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 21, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm probably going to buy that AVDV fast forces pack, that's exactly the heroes I wanted some of. Perfect. For competitions, is it best of 3? How do you decide who picks the maps?
Competition is you build a team using pre-specified point totals and rules. Tournament standard is 300 points Modern Age, but unless you're at a super serious WizKids official regional tournament, venues are free to declare whatever they want. Just for example's sake, last week my local venue did 400 points but team must be comprised entirely of figures from the Harley Quinn and the Gotham Girls set, and up next is 800 points where one figure has to be Power Cosmic, Quintesence, or Kingdom Come... so, yeah. There's variation. Incidentally, this is one of the key areas where Heroclix is nothing at all like Magic; because the format can change every week you don't just have one team you play every time, you have a collection that you use different pieces out of depending on need. (Which is good, because playing the same pieces every week would be boring anyway.)

For maps, players bring maps with them, and the venue likely has a collection of maps that anyone can use, and also players are generally very good about lending maps out to one another if you have one they want to use and you're not using it this round. Before each round, you and your opponent roll off, with the high roller going first and getting to choose map. Theme teams give a bonus to this roll.

Tournaments are almost always 3 rounds. First round, opponents are assigned randomly. For rounds two and three, players are sorted first on record and then on point total to break ties within the same record, with the top two playing each other, then the next two, and so on. If there's an odd number of players, the lowest player gets a "bye", which is treated as a 0 point win.

If you want to read up more on this stuff, here's the rules. I strongly suggest either printing out the core rulebook and PAC, or buying a Mighty Thor or Star Trek starter, which come with them. You'll definitely want them on-hand when you actually start playing games, even experienced players will pull them out for reference when we're trying to figure out rule interactions.

I don't know about SA-Mart, but I'm entirely willing to weigh my idiotic huge collection of duplicate figures and offer them to you for cost of shipping (which is probably very high, there's a lot of them) and I bet I'm not the only person who'd make that offer.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 21, 2017

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

For maps, players bring maps with them, and the venue likely has a collection of maps that anyone can use, and also players are generally very good about lending maps out to one another if you have one they want to use and you're not using it this round. Before each round, you and your opponent roll off, with the high roller going first and getting to choose map. Theme teams give a bonus to this roll.

I have to make a nitpick here. The high roller gets to choose if he wants to be Player 1 and do the above or be Player 2 and choose his starting area. Sometimes doing this can be advantageous because of first-turn immunity. Usually, though, the high roller will indeed be Player 1.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 23, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Ordered that AVD fast forces pack and bought 2 Mighty Thor boosters to play with tonight. Had a good time, got a lot more familiar with the game. The better games were against a more experienced player who also bought a pack to make a team out of. After that I played my buddy with his more constructed team and got ran over for the most part thanks to having bad luck against multiple probability control characters. I'll try my Defenders team next week when it arrives, although people having chase rares makes me worry about my chances. Still fun, going to keep playing and get better figures.

What does everyone keep their figures in? Doesn't seem to be as tidy a solution as deckboxes.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I have a poo poo-ton of plastic tackleboxes from the fishing sections of local sporting goods stores. I've got them stacked almost as tall as me in two piles in the corner of my room, which is about as unobtrusive as I can make them. But I sort the figures by who the characters are and what teams/genres they'd be on rather than by set - an Avengers box, a Batman Enemy box, a 'random magic people I barely know' box, etc.

I bought a bunch of 3-ring binders for my character cards, but I'm second-guessing that decision. I'm thinking deckboxes - longer ones - might be a better option just because the binders are so unwieldy.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Tackle boxes makes sense. I was just going to use a tube I had for a neoprene card playmat but I didn't want them getting too beaten up or broken. I have plenty of card sleeves for the cards.

My rares last night were a Thorbuster Ironman and the Wrecker, and someone gave me a Valkyrie from Thor: Ragnarok. Also got an uncommon lady Thor and a common Loki, so I might build an Asguardian team. Any recommendations for a good Asguardian team, not necessarily including the ones I opened?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

What does everyone keep their figures in? Doesn't seem to be as tidy a solution as deckboxes.

I use the Plano Deep Stowaway Model 3730. I have even more now. I usually get it at Menards but their website doesn't seem to have it anymore, which makes me a mite nervous I will add that Menards carries a box that has 24 smaller boxes in with SKU #245-2705. The smaller boxes are the perfect size for keeping terrain markers and object tokens in along with other small odds and ends, like small-based attachable elements (i.e., the Riddler's Clue).

Steve Vader posted:

I bought a bunch of 3-ring binders for my character cards, but I'm second-guessing that decision. I'm thinking deckboxes - longer ones - might be a better option just because the binders are so unwieldy.

I actually use a two-drawer card file box (probably originally from a library) for my cards. That way I can put in alphabetical dividers— and boy, howdy do I need them.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
The Plano 3730 is legit. I am lucky enough that my fiance lets me have an entire closet in our place, and it is still overflowing with stuff. You will collect a lot of plastic heroes in 15 years!

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

ManiacClown posted:

I use the Plano Deep Stowaway Model 3730. I have even more now. I usually get it at Menards but their website doesn't seem to have it anymore, which makes me a mite nervous I will add that Menards carries a box that has 24 smaller boxes in with SKU #245-2705. The smaller boxes are the perfect size for keeping terrain markers and object tokens in along with other small odds and ends, like small-based attachable elements (i.e., the Riddler's Clue).

I actually use a two-drawer card file box (probably originally from a library) for my cards. That way I can put in alphabetical dividers— and boy, howdy do I need them.

I'm gonna bookmark that tacklebox model and see if I can find them around here. The dumb Wal-Mart near me has tackleboxes that are way too shallow.

I still have the cards separated out by set, but in alphabetical order. Some part of me just wants to do complete alphabetizing of every drat card I have all together. Maybe that'd be easier. Do you have a link to the model of file box you use?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I have to swing by bass pro shop this week anyway so I'll look for that box. Between that and my magic bag that's a lot of poo poo to take to the shop.

How do you guys look at team composition? I'm too new to be able to evaluate if a figure is good or not. Do you make sure you have someone with outwit and perplex, always have a support or tank, etc.? I'm looking at some Asguardians to make a team out of and want to make sure it's well balanced to compete with.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

tragedyjones posted:

The Plano 3730 is legit. I am lucky enough that my fiance lets me have an entire closet in our place, and it is still overflowing with stuff. You will collect a lot of plastic heroes in 15 years!

The below image is from 9 months ago. I got a couple more since then. I have a total of 54 of these wonderboxes. I separate my figures my team symbol—or some other closely cognizable relation, like Stark Industries or teamless Ultrons— and absent an affiliation I alphabetize them. I have two 3730s just for teamless generics and one for War of Light constructs and rings.

Steve Vader posted:

I still have the cards separated out by set, but in alphabetical order. Some part of me just wants to do complete alphabetizing of every drat card I have all together. Maybe that'd be easier. Do you have a link to the model of file box you use?

I wish I could get another one. The one I have is very nearly full. I think I got mine at a thrift shop. I need a second one just like it. It's metal and has two drawers side-by-side and has a slot in the top front, presumably to stack another like it on top.

I have to swing by bass pro shop this week anyway so I'll look for that box. Between that and my magic bag that's a lot of poo poo to take to the shop.
You could throw both sets of stuff in one of these. It's what I carry my weekly build, accessories, and all of my maps in. Yes, I carry all of my maps with me every week. With almost every map dating back to 2005 (when they started doing color-coding for terrain types) in it, that fucker is heavy, making it a good thing I drive a RAV4. An additional benefit is that unlike the cardboard box I used to use it protects them from moisture.

quote:

How do you guys look at team composition? I'm too new to be able to evaluate if a figure is good or not. Do you make sure you have someone with outwit and perplex, always have a support or tank, etc.? I'm looking at some Asguardians to make a team out of and want to make sure it's well balanced to compete with.
There used to be a principle referred to as STOPP, which stands for Support, Telekinesis, Outwit, Perplex, and Probability Control. It was generally considered essential to have at least three of these on your team. They're still really important except perhaps Support because it's nowhere near as potent of healing as it used to be. Outwit lets you shut off a power on an opposing character, Perplex can modify combat values on either your or their figures, Telekinesis lets you reposition your figures (or theirs with a successful attack roll), and Probability Control (a.k.a. Prob) lets you either force your opponent to succeed at a breakaway or attack roll a second time or give you a second chance to do so. One general consideration is how well your figures' powers and other abilities complement each other. I'd elaborate more on that but I'm getting kind of tired tonight so my head's getting a little fuzzy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I use Sterilite stackable drawers, which Target and Walmart carry. One shelf per set.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So I think the 100 point lady Thor is pretty cool since she attacks twice for 4 damage. For a support character I was looking at both the 80 point Enchantress from TMT, and the 100 point Heimdal from Thor Ragnarok. Should I play those 3 as a 280 point team, or am I better off ditching Heimdal in favor of the Executioner that can pair up with Enchantress for more beef? I also like the 50 point Valkyrie from Ragnarok but can't find a good team that hits exactly 300 with her.

I'll get off the asgardian kick soon once I get better at making teams and playing. Current events in town are 300 points.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Asgardians aren’t a bad team to start with, they got a nice boost with the mighty Thor set.

A good concept to think of during games is “swing”. Swing is basically the amount of squares a figure can effectively attack in. For example a piece with 8 range and running shot with a speed of 8 has a swing of 12 since they can move 4 and then shoot you. This is important to know because if you end a movement 13 squares away from them you know they can’t hurt you. Swing can be messed with though. TK has a min range of 6 and max of the figures printed range so it would bump that swing up to 18 or more. Perplexing up range etc.

Swing is really important to know because once you can understand it you can start to see what your opponent is doing and start dictating the tempo of the game yourself. You could deliberately put a bait piece in their swing and hit them harder if they go for it, or just be out their range, etc.

As for storage I organize by set and use these bad boys.

https://www.zoro.com/stanley-adjust...ASABEgLbxPD_BwE

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
For sure, playing HC reminds me of playing tactics style video games like FFT or Tactics Ogre back in the day. Thanks for the advice.

Is it super important to hit the maximum point value? I feel like I'm being inefficient if I play a 280 point team, but want to follow the advice of having more support units with skills instead of just 2 bruisers. Enchantress seems super fun to mess with.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

For sure, playing HC reminds me of playing tactics style video games like FFT or Tactics Ogre back in the day. Thanks for the advice.

Is it super important to hit the maximum point value? I feel like I'm being inefficient if I play a 280 point team, but want to follow the advice of having more support units with skills instead of just 2 bruisers. Enchantress seems super fun to mess with.

There are a LOT of ways to fill in those extra 20 points, from Bystander Figures (last summer there were 2 sets of double-sided 15 point bystanders - they do not break theme and they are, at worst, "pretty good" to "drat fine"), equipment, resources, ID cards, whatever. And if you are not building a theme team, there are lots of cheap <20 point figures you can maybe sneak in there, too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It's not super important but there's a line between "this is the team I wanted to play and it's a few points short no big deal" and "I've left enough points on the table to cripple myself". Generally speaking, 15-20 points is the line; if you're within 10 points it's no big deal, 10-15 I'd definitely start side-eyeing my team and would throw on an equipment or something. By 20 points I'm either finding one more piece to squeeze on or deciding I've misbuilt and redoing the team from scratch.

If you're doing Asgardians and you have 20 points open, put Eric Masterson on the team if you have him, or look over the figures already on your team and start seeing what you can get for a few extra points instead.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I re-evaluated based on everyone advice and put myself at a full 300. Eric Masterson is a really cool thing I'll probably use later. Going to rock lady Thor, Enchantress, and 120 point Loki from Avengers Assemble. Loki and Enchantress give lots of support with their abilities and I really like the combination of Loki and Enchantress using mind control with Enchantress also freely moving units around, and they both have normal support abilities.

I wasn't yet aware of bystanders, so that's neat.

For the initial roll to determine first play, does everyone on my team have to share a keyword to get a bonus? Or if just 2 do, will I still get +2?

Sorry to constantly ask questions here but this thread isn't super active anyway and that HCrealms site is hotass garbage with invasive pop ups. You guys have been very helpful.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

For the initial roll to determine first play, does everyone on my team have to share a keyword to get a bonus? Or if just 2 do, will I still get +2?
Everyone. If a figure doesn't have the keyword, it's 'breaking theme' and you no longer have a theme team. Do note, however, that bystanders can't break theme even though they have no keywords, and some figures will have traits saying that they don't break theme under certain conditions (for example, convention exclusive Loki won't break theme if he's on a team with Thor).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I re-evaluated based on everyone advice and put myself at a full 300. Eric Masterson is a really cool thing I'll probably use later. Going to rock lady Thor, Enchantress, and 120 point Loki from Avengers Assemble. Loki and Enchantress give lots of support with their abilities and I really like the combination of Loki and Enchantress using mind control with Enchantress also freely moving units around, and they both have normal support abilities.

I wasn't yet aware of bystanders, so that's neat.

Sorry to constantly ask questions here but this thread isn't super active anyway and that HCrealms site is hotass garbage with invasive pop ups. You guys have been very helpful.

Please post away! More life in this thread is a good thing. I'd also like to share pictures of storage options, if you're still interested.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah, do share. I was going to try to grab some of the recommended tackle boxes this week. I ordered myself the two figures for my asgardian mind control team I didn't have, as well as a very cool looking 149 point Dr. Strange that has a Defenders affiliation so I can use him with 2 figures from the Defenders fast forces pack I ordered. One of the stores in town has Thursday night clix so I'm hoping my Defenders arrive by then so I have something decent to play.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
One thing I would say, is when you get a figure you're really jazzed to play, don't rush in or try and be too fancy with it. Might sound obvious but I see a lot of people go "oh this figure has this cool power I want to see in action" and just ignore positioning and poo poo. I'm guilty of it too, last week played the female furies team I'd ordered and got a bit lairy with Granny Goodness's boomtube power, carried nearly the whole team in and Big Barda and half the others got annihilated over the next few turns. Just dumb.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

We gave you the "you're gonna get creamed" advice, right? Because you're going to get utterly creamed. Your early losses are all teachable moments; just figure out what your opponent took advantage of and make sure that next week they beat you on something else until you're all out of newbie mistakes. The most common newbie mistakes are mis-positioning and failure to remember powers. You'll make them. Don't get downhearted.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

We gave you the "you're gonna get creamed" advice, right? Because you're going to get utterly creamed. Your early losses are all teachable moments; just figure out what your opponent took advantage of and make sure that next week they beat you on something else until you're all out of newbie mistakes. The most common newbie mistakes are mis-positioning and failure to remember powers. You'll make them. Don't get downhearted.

Oh yeah. I lost games already because of exactly those two things. I'm competitive enough that I learn from mistakes and go back for more instead of quitting. I'm used to learning curves and all from years of playing magic and helping new players. I'm looking forward to more clix because it's kinda the off season for my preferred mtg format and it's nice to have something different to play.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Here's another question: what opening placement/movement strategies do you guys follow?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Here's another question: what opening placement/movement strategies do you guys follow?

1. This:

Morand posted:

A good concept to think of during games is “swing”. Swing is basically the amount of squares a figure can effectively attack in. For example a piece with 8 range and running shot with a speed of 8 has a swing of 12 since they can move 4 and then shoot you. This is important to know because if you end a movement 13 squares away from them you know they can’t hurt you. Swing can be messed with though. TK has a min range of 6 and max of the figures printed range so it would bump that swing up to 18 or more. Perplexing up range etc.

Swing is really important to know because once you can understand it you can start to see what your opponent is doing and start dictating the tempo of the game yourself. You could deliberately put a bait piece in their swing and hit them harder if they go for it, or just be out their range, etc.

You should always be counting squares. Your opening placement shouldn't give your opponent an easy target.

2. Also make the map work for you. If you're on a map with tons of hindering, your opening placement should take advantage of it by using the available cover - but if you park someone in hindering who doesn't have great movement, you may have essentially stranded that piece for the next few turns. Remember that parking behind hindering terrain can be just as valuable as sitting in it.

3. Figures with Leadership don't really maximize their value if they're not trying to remove tokens from friendly characters.

4. If you have characters with Sidestep, Phasing/Teleport, and other improved means of moving and/or carrying, these figures should be part of your first- and second-turn plans.

5. If you're in a multi-player game, and you go first, remember first-turn immunity. If you throw everyone out there first, they're easy pickin's on a small map. Someone else can correct me, but it may be better to sit back and watch what everyone else does with a little protection.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
It helps to not get entirely married to the idea of getting the alpha strike off. If you have two players just waiting for the other to wander into attack range, that doesn't make for a very exciting game. Often, it is better to ask 'who can I afford them attacking' or 'who do I most need to protect' rather than 'how do I get the first attack'. Look no further than thebardyspoon's story about blizting out there with Granny and the Furies. Oftentimes, being able to lure an opponent into overextending with their main attackers to pick off an expendable piece is more useful than getting that first hit in. Similarly, don't strand your big gun all alone just in search of a quick hit.

So, as Red says, use the terrain as much as possible to hedge off attacks. If you've got Stealth characters, plop them in hindering and hide everybody else behind them. If not, it can be a calculation... do you think your big guns are hard enough to hit or hurt that you want them up front, or do you have someone expendable enough to hide behind? Many 'Clix players are terrible at recognizing bait.

Particularly on the early turns, you really want action tokens on as few characters as possible. Carry whenever you can, Sidestep when you can, and ease your way into position. Some games will be decided on an early roll, but most will not, so try to keep the important hitters clear and fresh for when they're needed.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Okay, so, here are a bunch of things every and any Heroclix player should do/think/see/have/watch/read:

- The Tabletop Teacher: He does amazing, high-quality videos about rules, new sets, and so on. Highly recommended: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWcWOXdf-CG6K1gTFgjNNxA/videos

- Married with Clix: Husband and wife team explain various things about the game and also review sets: https://www.youtube.com/user/MarriedWithClix/videos

- Dial H for Heroclix: Good, once-a-week podcast about Heroclix. This is more a fun show that talks about new sets and stuff. Follow 'em on Twitter and send them questions, if you'd like: http://dialhforheroclix.podbean.com/

- List of Team Abilities from Heroclix.com: Win.WizKids.com

Then buy these:

Tiny storage totes (little storage bins that're the size of a clix figure; good for all sorts of accessories):

Sterilite ID Storage Totes:

As others have said, Plano makes good little storage trays with dividers and such. I personally buy Flambeau tackle boxes, but they're pretty much the same. I carry the Flambeau and other stuff in one of these:

(buy it here: https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-174-stack-carry-tray-organizer-storage-tote-2-pc-clear-with-green-latch/-/A-14779290)

After that, buy some card protectors/sleeves and a Deck Box for the cards.

Some folks use trays (all sorts of dealers make these):

(buy 'em at: http://www.herotrays.com/, or visit Etsy)

I also use Sistema food containers from Target to hold kleenex-wrapped Chases, groups of commons, or other accessories:

Yes, I fit tons of junk into my carry tote, somehow.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

Some folks use trays (all sorts of dealers make these):

(buy 'em at: http://www.herotrays.com/, or visit Etsy)

I actually have a printable design for these, though I need to rework the prototype a bit. It turns out you need to turn the number of points on the circles WAY up to have usable base-holding cavities!

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Watchlist results!

https://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/12/27/heroclix-watch-list-q4-2017-results

Jakeem Thunder was added as well and has been changed a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Another question: is push damage the very last thing that happens at the end of a turn? If I'm using the Punisher from the fast forces pack, he has an ability that says if he damaged an enemy unit this turn, after all actions resolve, heal him 1 click. If he uses running shot and gets a 2nd action counter, does that healing happen after he takes push damage, or before?