Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

BFCs make a fancy return!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Exactly what I wanted. I’m glad Clix is all in on the Hickman X-Men.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
It's that time of year again, so I ran my Royal Rumble event last night. We had 9 people, which made for a 45-figure Rumble, our biggest ever!

It's 500 points, all figures must be between 50 and 150 points, and you must have 5. Numbers are drawn for each figure to determine entry order. No figures are friendly to each other (so while you don't need to fight your own figures, you still need to break away from them). The match happens in the ring of the Sporting Arena map. Eliminations are on KO or knock back out of the ring (when you would go over the ropes, you roll 2d6 and if you're under your click number, you're out). Each figure gets one action, starting with the most-recent entry on down to the longest-tenured, and then a new figure is placed adjacent to the ropes.

#1 was Mary Shazam, and #2 was rare Ken from Street Fighter. I tend to just bring silly bullshit to the Rumble, but I've got to say, the new rules have been kind to Ken. He's still terrible, but not having to take pushing damage is helpful, and the changes to Force Blast make it a great move in the Rumble. He still didn't do jack, of course. The first elimination was Andre the Giant, who entered at number four and got carved up by the new LE Wolverine two rounds later.

An early highlight was King Shazam getting hit hard enough that he had to turn into Billy, but having two tokens at the time so he had to clear once his turn came up rather than turning back. Then Deathlok, who had not earned enough Control tokens and so was stuck doing a max of 1 damage, sniped him for the KO.

The middle of the match was dominated by cosmic Lockjaw and Weapon Hex. Lockjaw got knocked down to 3 gem tokens, but then this crazy probability field kicked in and absolutely nobody could hit him, even with most of the ring focusing on him for turn after turn. Lockjaw managed to heal back up to full, and pick up four KO's by Pulse Waving the entire ring, while Weapon Hex kept getting knocked down to her last STOP click and managing to heal back up off from it. Lockjaw lasted 20 rounds, and Hex survived 24.

I had fun late in the match with SR Captain Picard, using diplomacy to make Pacts with people (Perplex up their defense, and they get -1 attack, +1 defense until they attack, and take 1 penetrating when they attack) to take down Venom Rogue and one Sorcerer Supreme Beast. But crazy luck of the draw saw one player controlling 3 of the last 6 figures, which turned out to be an insurmountable hill to climb. Things ended with my Master Chief having a last stand against another Sorcerer Supreme Beast, Venom Wolverine, and Punisher Thanos. Once Chief ran out of grenades, he was pretty much up poo poo creek, and then we just got to sit around and watch that guy fight it out amongst his own figures. Beast took the victory, which is good because it means he's not allowed to be used in future Rumbles.

This is such an entertaining format. It's always one of the 'Clix highlights of the year, and this may have been one of the best ones yet.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Torrent posted:

It's that time of year again, so I ran my Royal Rumble event last night. We had 9 people, which made for a 45-figure Rumble, our biggest ever!

It's 500 points, all figures must be between 50 and 150 points, and you must have 5. Numbers are drawn for each figure to determine entry order. No figures are friendly to each other (so while you don't need to fight your own figures, you still need to break away from them). The match happens in the ring of the Sporting Arena map. Eliminations are on KO or knock back out of the ring (when you would go over the ropes, you roll 2d6 and if you're under your click number, you're out). Each figure gets one action, starting with the most-recent entry on down to the longest-tenured, and then a new figure is placed adjacent to the ropes.

#1 was Mary Shazam, and #2 was rare Ken from Street Fighter. I tend to just bring silly bullshit to the Rumble, but I've got to say, the new rules have been kind to Ken. He's still terrible, but not having to take pushing damage is helpful, and the changes to Force Blast make it a great move in the Rumble. He still didn't do jack, of course. The first elimination was Andre the Giant, who entered at number four and got carved up by the new LE Wolverine two rounds later.

An early highlight was King Shazam getting hit hard enough that he had to turn into Billy, but having two tokens at the time so he had to clear once his turn came up rather than turning back. Then Deathlok, who had not earned enough Control tokens and so was stuck doing a max of 1 damage, sniped him for the KO.

The middle of the match was dominated by cosmic Lockjaw and Weapon Hex. Lockjaw got knocked down to 3 gem tokens, but then this crazy probability field kicked in and absolutely nobody could hit him, even with most of the ring focusing on him for turn after turn. Lockjaw managed to heal back up to full, and pick up four KO's by Pulse Waving the entire ring, while Weapon Hex kept getting knocked down to her last STOP click and managing to heal back up off from it. Lockjaw lasted 20 rounds, and Hex survived 24.

I had fun late in the match with SR Captain Picard, using diplomacy to make Pacts with people (Perplex up their defense, and they get -1 attack, +1 defense until they attack, and take 1 penetrating when they attack) to take down Venom Rogue and one Sorcerer Supreme Beast. But crazy luck of the draw saw one player controlling 3 of the last 6 figures, which turned out to be an insurmountable hill to climb. Things ended with my Master Chief having a last stand against another Sorcerer Supreme Beast, Venom Wolverine, and Punisher Thanos. Once Chief ran out of grenades, he was pretty much up poo poo creek, and then we just got to sit around and watch that guy fight it out amongst his own figures. Beast took the victory, which is good because it means he's not allowed to be used in future Rumbles.

This is such an entertaining format. It's always one of the 'Clix highlights of the year, and this may have been one of the best ones yet.

One day I'm going to remember this format and steal it. It sounds super fun

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Due to a weird set of circumstances I actually get to go to a wotr pre release tomorrow! Anyone have some basic tips for sealed? Haven't gotten to play that format yet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Elblanco posted:

Due to a weird set of circumstances I actually get to go to a wotr pre release tomorrow! Anyone have some basic tips for sealed? Haven't gotten to play that format yet.
WoR sealed or sealed in general?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

WoR sealed or sealed in general?

Both I guess, I've been following wor spoilers but I'm still not great at evaluating pieces, my current plan if to hope I pull a chase haha.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
General sealed tips:

Don't get too caught up in theme. It's nice to have, but it's rarely worth shelving a good figure just to have a theme team.
Coupled with that, pack a PC if you can. With no guarantee of anyone getting themed team rerolls, PC is even more important.
Try to remember everything that your figures can do. This can be a tricky one, particularly with a pre-release, but you don't want to go into round three and suddenly realize that you could've been doing something cool for the past two games.
Shifting Focus and other sideline-related characters probably won't be able to do their cool stuff, so they usually get knocked down a few pegs.
There's something to be said for a really cool-looking distraction. This is true for all 'Clix, but particularly for sealed, if you pull something that looks flashy and dangerous, it can be used to pull attention from the figures that actually matter to your team. A high-rarity figure played at a low dial, or just a cool sculpt that you don't mind getting KO'd can be excellent bait.

War of the Realms sealed tips:

SR Thor and Iron All-Father are pretty much auto-plays. Hope you pull them; hope your opponents don't.
There are a lot of damage reducers, but no Invincible, so Psychic Blast is king. Exploit to a lesser extent, but a solid range team is going to be the most dangerous here.
Commons to look out for are Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, and Miles-Spidey.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Torrent posted:

Don't get too caught up in theme. It's nice to have, but it's rarely worth shelving a good figure just to have a theme team.
Definitely, definitely this. The most important thing is getting as close to 300 as you can. Second most important is to do it with the best figures possible. (It's better to play a lesser team at 290 than better figures at 250; you can't overcome those missing points.) Theme is a distant third.

Tentpoles and OMAs do better in Sealed than Constructed; there's no guarantee your opponent pulled the support figures needed to deal with one, and also no guarantee that their primary attacker is any good or their secondary can even crack your guy's defenses. This is why big old beatsticks like SR Thor and Iron All-Father are being widely regarded as this set's "pull me to win the game" pieces. Sealed teams don't have the synergies or depth that Constructed ones do, and you need to be mindful of that in both directions: both to take advantage and also to remind yourself to not play like you've got it either.

Otherwise, general rules apply. Move-and-attack is better than immobility, penetrating damage is a big deal, if you've got some Outwit or Prob available, you probably want to play it.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Ok so I just got back a little bit ago and I had a blast. I took my 9 year old son with me and we had only 4 people playing total. As he usually does my son pulled a Sr, crusader and I helped him put together an avengers team of crusader, Hercules and miles morales Spider-Man. I ended up with rare valkyrie and Jane foster Thor and played them with helmet Spiderman and Lady sif for asgardian theme for the prob.

I tabled my first opponent but had a hard time with blade and his rally die constantly reviving him since I kept rolling 6s. I didn't lose anyone though so I felt good about my team.

I got creamed in round two by the chase rocket and shifting focus rare Thor, failed some charge attacks and watched my Thor get demolished in one turn. Fun game but a rough one for me.

Last round was against my son and about halfway through chewing through so many clix and super senses and impervious I realized that I had inflicted it all on myself... I somehow pulled out a win with valkyrie being my last figure on her last click taking out crusader.

We got like 4 ff slop legacy cards and my son pulled Thanos, which someone traded us emperor Vulcan and the sabretooth from rise and fall for, figured it was fine since I don't have any old figures. I also won a roll off for the runner up prize and walked away with the ff slop doom! Really excited about that since he's like the only thing I wanted from that kit.

I was also able to get a couple more packs before I left for my wife and daughter since they stayed home, my daughter pulled malekith, kids have all the luck here.

Overall a great time and I might be able to do it again next week!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Elblanco posted:

Overall a great time and I might be able to do it again next week!

Glad to hear that you had fun, and that 'little kid luck' is universal as far as booster pulls go.

Our scheduled pre-release got snowed out this past Thursday, so I ran some War of the Realms battle royales today as a make-good. We had six people, so we did two rounds of three-man games.

The first round, across the six of us we only pulled one thing of note - prime Destroyer, over on the other table. There is a crazy amount of Psychic Blast in this set, and I ended up with a good amount of it on my team. Uncommon Thor (not the god of Hammers), Captain Marvel, Wasp, uncommon Captain America, and Hercules. Thor immediately proved himself such a threat in the format that I felt a bit bad and pulled back on using him to his fullest potential - dual-target Psychic Blast 12 for 4, followed up by a penetrating Energy Explosion to a hit target can just cripple a team in a battle royale. But Thor wasn't even a standout to the degree that Thor was, Jane Foster version. Free attacks every turn from Mjolnir combined with her actual attacks let her carve her way through much of my team. Wasp was something of a standout for me... nobody expected her to turn into a giant-sized Exploit Weakness attacker! I ended up taking second place, and with nothing fancy to draft from the table, that was fine.

Second game saw much better pulls. My table saw chase Spider-Man, SR Thanos, and SR Thor (unfortunately, the Shifting Focus one who starts with a 10 attack). Sadly, I got stuck with Thor, and so unsurprisingly ended up in third place. Ended up with Thor, common Loki, Executioner, Shang-Chi, and Black Widow. Lots of moderate-movement close combat pieces, which was not ideal since the fight ended up happening on the far side of the map. Thor's ability to punch everyone within 6 squares along a line was fun to use in a battle royale, but that 10 attack just was not getting the job done. Nobody was willing to attack him to raise it, and pushing damage isn't a thing. Unfortunately, I ended up spending most of the game softening up figures for chase Spider-Man to finish off and scoop points from. Ultimately, this one came down to three of my team against a mid-dial Spider-Man, but I had to call time before I could get those points. Still, can't complain about getting a super rare and a generic Loki out of the deal.

We've got our proper sealed rescheduled for Thursday. Looking forward to it!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Last night was our rescheduled War of the Realms pre-release. Luckily, we had an odd number of people, so I actually got to play, and the prizes were legacy cards so I slotted myself in as a player rather than as a bye round. I got pretty great pulls, and ended up fielding a team of chase Venom, Scarlet Witch, Yondu, and two Skurge. Two PCs, a TK, two Psychic Blasts, three Exploits (four with Venom's bystander), and Rally-based penetrating damage from Yondu had me feeling pretty good about things, even if I wasn't a theme team.

Round one was against another Yondu, Nova, Blade, Hawkeye, and Exiles Valkyrie. We started things off with the Yondus plinking shots back and forth at each other, with neither able to hit the hindering-assisted 20 from range. I moved the Skurges up to run interference, and they took the expected beating. But they bought enough breathing room for Venom to be TK'd into range and start clawing through the archers with the help of his clone. Once the ranged threats were gone and the Skurges were on their late-dial Combat Reflexes, it just became a matter of clean-up. Lost one Skurge and the Witch, but wiped the team.

Round two was a beast, facing Enchantress, SR Dr. Strange, 2x Scarlet Witch, uncommon Captain America, and Groot. Four Probability Controls, plus Enchantress in the hands of our most-skilled Mind Control player. The frustration was compounded by the fact that he didn't even need all that PC... I needed 6s to hit with most attacks, and just couldn't roll above a 5 even with my two PCs. Groot got wounded early by an opening Psychic Blast, but of course I couldn't hit the 6 to finish him off until he'd landed one big Quake. Enchantress Mind Controlled Skurge (which I really can't argue with) to hit Venom off from his Charge clicks, and I was never able to line up a TK, and every time he based someone they'd just Phase away or be carried off. Venom never even got to roll a single attack that game, and was reduced to power action-generating his bystander. I took out Groot and Cap, losing one Skurge in the process, and my opponent started running. I had the momentum, but things just utterly fell apart and I didn't succeed at a single roll for the rest of the game. Once Yondu and the other Skurge had fallen, I decided that what was good for the goose was good for the gander, and had Scarlet Witch carry Venom away, resolved to just keep them safe and have the dreamstone duplicates carry on the fight. Surely I could roll a 6 eventually! No such luck, and time ran out without any further KO's.

Round three was against a great team, but piloted by a player who's only been in the game for about a month. The good SR Thor, Black Widow, and Miles, which meant that Thor had Stealth and Super Senses on top of everything else. My Skurges took a beating on the approach, and I was wary to close with Venom when the hits were so far from assured, so he hung back and generated clones. After Thor made his first two Super Senses rolls, I decided that Spidey needed to go out first, and if Venom knows one thing, it's how to fight Spider-Man. By that point, a wounded Skurge was able to tag Black Widow enough that the clone could finish her off, and we could finally start shooting Thor. It remained a brutal fight, but the web slowly tightened. Thor was able to land his own super-Quake to wipe out Yondu, but that knocked Venom to his Flurry clicks, and so Venom and Witch were left standing in the end.

All-told, I took second place, which was enough to land me a legacy card for Thor's Mighty Chariot. Gonna break that bad boy out of the mothballs for our floor event next week!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
T-t-triple post!

Today was the last of our WotR pre-release events, doing more battle royales to run through the rest of our product. Got to have two four-player games this time.

Game one, I was the only one who pulled a super rare, with Crusader. Backed her up with Scarlet Witch, Kid Loki, common Vision, and Mary Jane. This was the least-hitting battle royale that I can remember. Pretty much everybody was struggling to roll above a 5, and if they did, their targets would hit Super Senses. I think Crusader only managed to hit one attack that entire game, but it was one that mattered, KO'ing a wounded common Thor to get me enough points to squeak a victory. Snagged Crusader and a common Loki. Would've liked MJ, but I can hardly complain.

Game two, I pulled All-Father Odin. The guy to my right pulled prime Gamora. It was pretty much a contest between the two of us to see who could score higher. Odin was joined by Enchantress, Hulk, Hercules, and Black Widow. This was a pretty disgusting game... every time Odin acted, someone died. My Hercules managed to hold down an entire opposing team and somehow weather the storm, falling to his last click and hitting enough Super Senses that he got to Steal Energy and heal 4 clicks. On the other side, Gamora was doing her multi-target 4 damage thing, so she wasn't quite as quick as Odin at getting KO's, but every couple turns she would manage multiples. We had pretty much wiped out our poor two opponents and had just come together to fight each other when we ran out of time. I took first on the strength of the 300-point character, and decided to take home Gamora since I'd already gotten to play Odin the once.

Having now done a lot of sealed for this set, I do rather enjoy it. The lack of Invincible is very stark, as it means that damage reducers feel pretty pointless. There's also a ton of PC, so high defenses don't count for much. It makes for a very aggressive sealed environment where caution is often punished. I know that there will be other sets out by the time convention season rolls around, but I'd like to see this one played on a wider stage.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I was gonna post about my game on Sunday but with the venues resident annoying player showing and projecting maximum annoyance it kinda sucked the fun out of the day for me.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

I was gonna post about my game on Sunday but with the venues resident annoying player showing and projecting maximum annoyance it kinda sucked the fun out of the day for me.
The only highlight was about an hour after we got home, the judge finding the exact team (only slightly modified because our venue maintains Highlander) posted recently on a Facebook group, which certainly answered some questions.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Well, there is nothing against posting a bitchfest to vent about all the low lights. Could be therapeutic.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Hey I got to play today! I’ll tell you about it because why not.

400 points!

My team was Latveria

F4 Doom at 45
2 Doombots
Rama Tut
Puppet Master
Victorious
WOR Scarlet Witch
Valeria Richards
Morgan Le Fay legacy at her lower line
Reign of Terror

Round 1 versus Andy’s “I’m bragging about my pulls this is not humblebragging” Asgardian team of

SR Prime Gamora
Time Crystal Spider-Man
The Thor who has defend and caps the damage Asgardians can take.
Jane Foster who can’t be targeted
The doctor who turns into Valkyrie
The colossal ice giant king whose name starts with a Y

I won map, we went to Dooms castle. I moved up a little, Andy moved down a bit. I perplexed up Puppet Masters range by 3 and he MC’d Gamora from stupid far away. Gamora then charged and hit Spider-Man as she could turn off his senses and CR. He took 3 and then victorious was able to hit him for the KO. Thor ran into quake as Andy thought he was on his lightning storm crazy power but he was not and he did not as much damage as he thought. Gamora came down to fistfight a few dudes as well. I believe she gutted Rama Tut. Had doom come down and take shots and then enhance Victorious to KO gamora and hurt Thor. The doctor made herself annoying with outwit and fell to doombot attention. Jane ran over to try to heal Thor but Thor got knocked out before she could. Jane turned to Thor, missed her attack and was also KO’d

Round 2 versus the Avengers

Crusader
Old Steve from CAAV
The Black Panther prime who can taunt your attack down
Kate Bishop
Miles who gives avengers senses
Widow who gives avengers stealth

I won map, went to latveria. I have a single piece that can break stealth and it is puppet master. I managed to hit crusader despite her having a 21 against range. Crusader missed her attack against Kate and then failed to break away out of hindering and from then things got bad. The Panther and Crusader started popping doombots and then Crusader got into my back line. I managed to KO Kate with mind control tricks but I just couldn’t hit Crusader and she wrecked everything.

I lost Rama, Val, and like 6 doombots. It did not go well.

Round 3 versus the judge’s asgardians

Non prime destroyer
Kid Loki
Enchantress
Hela

I won map and went to latveria again. Puppet master ruled the roost here, making destroyer murder his friends before Victorious KO’d him. Hela fell to a barrage of doombots and Loki couldn’t stand against my whole team.

Round 2 avengers lost to Andy’s Asgardians so I slid into first place on points. Walked away with a Wonder Woman legacy card for my trouble.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The DC license is not dead! And the next set includes Teen Titans Go and motherfucking Scooby-Doo

Since WB has apparently taken the lid off and decided DC means "anything we own", I eagerly await the set after this one, Bugs Bunny Goes To Westeros And Also Batman Is There.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

CapnAndy posted:

The DC license is not dead! And the next set includes Teen Titans Go and motherfucking Scooby-Doo

Since WB has apparently taken the lid off and decided DC means "anything we own", I eagerly await the set after this one, Bugs Bunny Goes To Westeros And Also Batman Is There.

One chase is from a theoretical Elseworlds where John Snow takes the bat with an accompanying Ygritte Harley Quinn.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

CapnAndy posted:

I can not overstate how badly the world needs Pain-Bot and the Spooky Space Kook.

edit: and the Elaborate Death Trap needs to make a return if we're getting Fred(s).

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 16, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

One chase is from a theoretical Elseworlds where John Snow takes the bat with an accompanying Ygritte Harley Quinn.
poo poo, I'd read that.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I did it guys. I won a game with mission points today. I had to play pure unmitigated cheese to do it and I did it on a map that is not modern legal but I did actually win with mission points.

I did a scientist build

Doom Sorcerer Supreme
High Evolutionary at lower level
Lex Luthor Chase at 10
Future Foundation Kristof at lower level.
Empyre Beast Common
WW80 SR Flash x 2
Chase WOR Spider-Man
Uatu
F4 Wizard

Sideboard of Prime Wrecker and the LOD chases.

In game 1 I did not get to win via mission points as I got hit with a lord doom who prevented me from spawning Wrecker’s bystanders.

But in game 2, glorious game 2 I won map and went to the old prison. Uatu carried wrecker to where he needed to be and the drilling for sweet sweet mission points began. The game was over in 6 turns.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

We had ~*drama*~ yesterday. It was great.

The event was 500 points, with the restriction that your force can contain one SR and one R, and every other figure must be C or U. So imagine everyone's surprise when the player we all hate showed up and pulled out their force consisting of all the WotR chases and their typical Sideboard Of Bullshit (which, having multiple Superfriends and Legion of Doom on it, contains multiple chases as well). Their first round opponent, quite reasonably, immediately called them out on the blatantly illegal team.

Toxic Player first tried to downplay and deflect: "who cares, it's not like there's a prize" (THEN WHY ARE YOU BRINGING THE HARD CHEESE EVERY GODDAMN WEEK) and "okay fine I'll take the loss, let's just play". When their opponent refused because that's not the event and instead moved on to play the judge, who had managed to bring a legal team, the real ranting began. It was just a mistake, they only saw "500 points" and not the build restriction, what's the big deal, everyone makes mistakes, it was too easy to miss the other stuff, the subject line of the events should contain the restrictions because that's the only place anyone looks, this is totally unreasonable, it could happen to anybody. The rest of us pointing out that you need to click on the event to register for it, that the description spelled out the build restrictions quite clearly, it's literally impossible to not see the description before you register, and the rest of us managed to notice the rules just fine were all soundly ignored. Eventually the player, upon seeing that their hissy fit was having no effect and that they would not be un-DQ'd because "following the rules is toooooo haaaaaaaard", stormed out. Fun times.

On the bright side, we had a player who's been gone for a long time return, and a brand new guy show up (thankfully he showed after the storm-out was complete, so he didn't have to see that and get a bad impression of us). So it was a really good day, attendance-wise!

As for gameplay, I'd just gotten my Thor and Loki legacy card on Thursday and wanted to play them, so I played:
Thor and Loki (Legacy)
Steve Rogers
Prime Donna Troy (with Bracelets) (made an Avenger by Steve Rogers)
WotR Hawkeye
WotR Black Widow
Shang-Chi

Round 1 was against the returning player and I unfortunately cannot remember his team. He rolled like absolute fire, though, and I couldn't make a Super Senses roll to save anyone's life. I won by the skin of my teeth, 205-200, losing everyone but Steve and Thor/Loki, and Steve only survived because he Living Legended himself out of being KOed at last action.

Round 2 was against a regular, playing a Monster team of Wendigo, Blackheart, and three Werewolf Deviants. Thor and Loki one-shotted the Wendigo with a crit hit, and this game my dice were on fire, as I rolled a shocking number of both natural crits and 7s that Donna turned into crits for me. Lost Hawkeye by using her as bait to draw the Werewolves in, and it took an obnoxiously long time to put Blackheart down because that's his whole shtick, but I won, 500-50.

Round 3 was against the new guy, playing King Hyperion, Flash, Amanda Waller, Harley Quinn, and Gladiator, all from IIM or JW. I went through that like tissue paper, obviously -- King Hyperion isn't remotely worth his points and my team laughed him off the board, and then the rest was cleanup, but the new guy was very nice and we spent some time afterwards discussing what he'd done wrong (put too many points in one figure, team had no synergy) and also that power creep is a very real thing and old figures generally can't hold up any more -- he was saying he should have played LoSH Validus and I put my Donna next to Validus and encouraged him to look at what I was getting for 50 points, compared to what he wanted to spend 249 on. He said he'll be back next week and I hope he is, because I would love to have somebody to give all my dupes to.

So I won, and for the first two rounds I did it without remembering that Thor and Loki can attack again for free when they hit their attack. That piece fucks poo poo up, I was very pleased with it. I had them spend most of the time in Loki configuration because of course I did, that's the better one, but when opponents based them to stop all the psyblasting, being able to switch to "okay fine but you can't hit me and now I swing with a 13 to do 6" was great. Lots of fun.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Nice. The only way the drama could be better is if toxic boy never comes back.

I just pulled the Thor/Loki card (as well as the Chariot which I hope makes that playable). Wife surprised me with two bricks today. Got the Venom and Iron Man chases. Hopefully I can turn one of them into a Rocket chase.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Nice. The only way the drama could be better is if toxic boy never comes back.

I just pulled the Thor/Loki card (as well as the Chariot which I hope makes that playable). Wife surprised me with two bricks today. Got the Venom and Iron Man chases. Hopefully I can turn one of them into a Rocket chase.

Sadly it is not the first time they have stormed out. Please note that at no time was them not reading the event their fault, as it is never their fault and they are always the goddamn victim. I’ve not been there each time they’ve stormed out but it is always because they ignored a build requirement and expected everyone to be ok with it.

But I really hope they stay away for a few months or so. That would be pleasant.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

Toxic Player first tried to downplay and deflect: "who cares, it's not like there's a prize" (THEN WHY ARE YOU BRINGING THE HARD CHEESE EVERY GODDAMN WEEK) and "okay fine I'll take the loss, let's just play". When their opponent refused because that's not the event and instead moved on to play the judge, who had managed to bring a legal team, the real ranting began. It was just a mistake, they only saw "500 points" and not the build restriction, what's the big deal, everyone makes mistakes, it was too easy to miss the other stuff, the subject line of the events should contain the restrictions because that's the only place anyone looks, this is totally unreasonable, it could happen to anybody. The rest of us pointing out that you need to click on the event to register for it, that the description spelled out the build restrictions quite clearly, it's literally impossible to not see the description before you register, and the rest of us managed to notice the rules just fine were all soundly ignored. Eventually the player, upon seeing that their hissy fit was having no effect and that they would not be un-DQ'd because "following the rules is toooooo haaaaaaaard", stormed out. Fun times.

I'm really starting to think that the next time this person shows up and storms out when called on their bullshit somebody should just say "Could you not come back after this one, please? We all hate you. Thanks." I mean, the judge (at least officially) and venue might not like that, but it sounds like whoever does it would be a Big drat Hero™ to the other players.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

I'm really starting to think that the next time this person shows up and storms out when called on their bullshit somebody should just say "Could you not come back after this one, please? We all hate you. Thanks." I mean, the judge (at least officially) and venue might not like that, but it sounds like whoever does it would be a Big drat Hero™ to the other players.
If we get our attendance numbers back up, I think that becomes more likely. It's hard to kick out 25% of the playerbase.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I had a super fun day at clix today. The event was a very very blatant gently caress you to the dramatic player from last week.

400 points. All characters in your force must share a printed keyword.

The general thought was there was no way they would possibly show. I swore I’d eat my hat if they showed and buy a new one and eat it if they actually played a legal team.

Well guess who showed and played a legal team while still cheesing it up? Yup.

Anyway I ran the Shi’ar

Prime Emperor Vulcan
Rise and Fall Lilandra
Rise and Fall Professor X
Rise and Fall Kid Gladiator
Rise and Fall D’Ken
A Shi’ar Soldier

So it would appear I do not own nearly as much of the Shi’ar as I thought from the new set as I did not have a deathbird or the guy with the Phoenix sword which necessitated several rebuilds.

Originally I wanted to use the rise and fall Vulcan and the prize Manta but I couldn’t swing it so I ran with the above.

Round 1 I had the bye versus the judges Skrull squad.

I don’t recall the exact build as in the middle of the game a store employee came over and informed us there was a kid asking a bunch of questions about heroclix. We had him come over and explained things a bit. The new player from last week never showed so this kid ended up walking out with a giant box of extras we’d brought for him. Him and his younger brother lost their minds and acted like it was Christmas. That was really awesome.

I won the bye game when emeperor Vulcan melted super Skrull but we only had like 3 rounds to play.

Round 2 versus the Guardians of the Galaxy

Kitty Star Lord
Follow up Rocket Racoon
The SR Gamora (non prime)
The thing who makes them all Fan4
Nova who can charge full speed
The 100 point captain marvel from WOR

I think that was it:

This game was a slugfest as Vulcan was a terror but his multiple EE’s and follow ups wrecked my soldiers and generators. Kid gladiator ate a big psyblast from Captain Marvel and was basically a nonfactor. Lilandra of all people was my second best attacker which I really needed since between leadership and her KOing things Vulcan softened up it let Vulcan just keep acting.

I lost professor X, Kid Gladiator and 5 soldiers but managed to KO Thing, Nova, and captain marvel for a 220-200 win which I’ll take.

Round 3 versus the Drama Llama.

They were playing Fantastic Four as yet another thinly veiled look at my chases team.

The starting team was I think

Infamous Iron Man?
Chase Battleword Sue
The Earth X Dad sweater thing
I forget the last piece.

They used Sue to swap in

Chase WOR Torch
Chase Rikki Barnes
The SR High Evolutionary

I just didn’t want to play them so I moved up and just kept rolling to make dudes and not engaging. I figured eventually she’d see an opportunity to do her usual TK yo-yo bull poo poo and kill a soldier and stall and I’d jump her when she overextended. She did a RS with torch and killed a soldier and moved him next to sues barrier. The emperor then came out and hit torch for 4 basically neutering him. D’ken then carried over a flag and sidestepped it behind Vulcan for the defense boost. They tried to hit Vulcan but missed a bunch. Rikki used her movement power to move up to try to hit D’Ken multiple times and missed. My die betrayed me and I couldn’t hit rikki with her d outwit so I just swarmed around her. Then the drama happened again. They said “I really want to hit something so Rikki is going to shoot your professor x” I said ok. They hit my professor and then they tried to move them. I then asked what they were doing as they hadn’t given Rikki a power action to do her movement power. Then the griping began. We’re just playing for fun you really gonna get me on a technicality? I said you’re playing a team full of chases, you aren’t playing for fun. Then it was well I wanted to. I replied I wanted to hit all their prices with crits if what we wanted to do was now a clix rule. Then they said well I cant beat your team so I’m just going to quit. Oh no please anything but that. So I took my 400-0 win with some nice satisfaction. If it was anyone else I wouldn’t have cared and would have let it go.

Ended up 3-0 and the overall winner. Made a kids day and got to play a bunch of pieces I never have before. D’Ken being a Shi’ar with sidestep made him very useful as a flag mover which was his general role most of the day. Emperor Vulcan was very good as my hammer. Kid Gladiator was follow up to KO for confidence tokens and to remove tokens thanks to the emperor.

If I had to do this again, I’d toss on Deathbird instead of D’Ken, and probably also Manta for the IT:Hindering.

Morand fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 9, 2022

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

So all of Disney plus minus the release day Dr. Strange has been spoiled. The white vision is utterly terrifying.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

So all of Disney plus minus the release day Dr. Strange has been spoiled. The white vision is utterly terrifying.

Yowza. Couple that figure with some defense power cancellation and you've got a likely "I win" button.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Morand posted:

If you pull him in sealed, I don't know how you lose unless the other team has 6-8 pieces with Outwit.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

If you pull him in sealed, I don't know how you lose unless the other team has 6-8 pieces with Outwit.
Someone else pulling Agatha or Wanda would do it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CapnAndy posted:

Someone else pulling Agatha or Wanda would do it.

Those two working together would be tremendous. Agatha's free movement trick is wild (as are her other tricks), but getting past Vision's first 3 clicks of 'gently caress you' is going to be tough.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Red posted:

Those two working together would be tremendous. Agatha's free movement trick is wild (as are her other tricks), but getting past Vision's first 3 clicks of 'gently caress you' is going to be tough.

Agatha is probably the only hard counter for vision in the set. With her stealth he can't just blast her at range and as soon as she drops a run she basically ends him if he bases her or gets close enough to her gently caress you zone.

Outside of that though? He'll eat anyone else in the set pretty easily

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

The X of Swords set poster is up if you guys haven't seen it.

https://wizkids.com/posters/repository/heroclix/XofSwords-SetListPoster-11x17.pdf

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Not a fan of all the sculpt reuse (except for the Danger Room constructs, I love that those are reuses, it just makes too much sense), but there are so many brand-new characters in this set to easily balance that out in my mind. The whole thing is giving me War of Light vibes, and if they can manage a set close to as cool as that was, I'm going to be quite happy.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

400 points, you may only have 1 SR or chase on your team was todays event.

After much thought, I decided to do Skrulls.

SR Super Skrull at 100
Prime Silver Surfer
2 Skrull Warriors
1 Skrull Technician
Skrull Human Torch
Skrull Mr. Fantastic
Skrull The Thing
Skrull General

Bunch of pieces I've been meaning to play and it seemed like it would be fun.

Round 1 versus Avengers

Crusader
Spider Man who gives Avengers Senses
Widow who gives Avengers Stealth
Black Leopard
Recruiter Captain America
Blade who never dies with the right rally

Stealth versus stealth. The eternal battle. Also Black Leopard can suck a giant dick. Anywho I won map and went to the Wakanda map that gives bonuses if you are in hindering. Once I showed I had a 6 square Giant Reach that gave no shits about stealth they came for me with Crusader charging in for a quake that could only hit my technician because everyone else hit their shape change. From there I was able to get clever with positioning to negate Black leopard and he went down to punches from Super Skrull and the Thing. Crusader tried to hit Super Skrull for a 5 damage CCE but he hit one of his many roll outs. The Skrulls then proceeded to repeatedly chop at crusader a click at a time and my dice were hot. All of my 3 dmage guys repeatedly plinked at crusader till she fell and she never hit a single senses or imperv roll. Spider-Man then fell to deny him his senses rolls. Cap in desperation recruited a namor from his sideline to give me more points, and he did manage to KO Mr. Fantastic but that was it.

Apparently the Skrulls are very good at loving over the avengers.

Round 2 versus Scientists

Wizard
The Flash
Dr. Gregor
A Cadmus Scientist
+2 Perplex Valeria
An Iron Patriot with HSS
Giganta
Teen Lantern
Molecule Man

Wizard promptly turned into Prime Wrecker when the game began. I lost map and ended up on the old Sinister Prison Map. This team looked veeeery familiar to me as it is eerily similar to a team I used to win with Mission Points. They used flash to copy the GL TA and move a bunch of dudes down 15 squares and wrecker began drilling for Mission points. I knew I had like 5 turns max till he won. This was bad. Then molecule man barriered everything. That was worse.

Skrulls showed their surprising mobility though with the General granting them underworld TA and moved up. He continued drilling for MP, now having 5. He then barriered basically the entire map with teen lantern and Molecule Man. The skrulls were having none of that and managed to break enough walls that Super Skrull was able to charge and hit and KO teen lantern and Silver Surfer was able to HSS and KO Multiple Man. From there he sent his support crew at me while still drilling for MP, now up to 9. Surfer got hit to a no move and attack 4 damage click and I lost my technician and got Thing hit for 2 after invuln by a flash who was given battle fury and carried his enhancer. His crew could not stand up to a dedicated skrull onslaught, as the warriors have themselves a 12 attack and Ko'd flash and the BF granting scientist. Surfer manage to hit norman for a bit to heal some and then got carried out by the general. Super Skrull Ko'd Valeria. He drilled for more mission points to get to 13. Giganta retaliated but missed. I moved down my guys into the middle of the map and Ko'd Dr. Gregor to unbuff his pogs. He drilled for mission points and was up to 17. I had literally only this turn to do something. Super Skrull took Fantastic and Thing and charged wrecker, basing him and the bulldozer pog but missed his attack. My thing skrull managed to roll an 8 and Ko his piledriver. My surfer managed to hut a 7 to precision kill his Bulldozer. He tried but failed to sidestep and break will Wrecker and time was called as he attacked with Giganta.

That game was loving amazing and a huge nailbiter.

Round 3 was against the player we all hate. They played a team that did nothing but give astronomer a 14 range and barrier themselves into their starting area over and over. I took one look at it and said nah you win. gently caress em I had 2 amazing games so I don't need their aggravation.

Overall I was very impressed with the skrulls and their toughness. I'm going to have to try them again with some of the sidekicks and sidekick buffers.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Wow. So that old team with the Structural Integrity Field barrier crap is essentially back?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Apparently they're doing some sort of premium special pack of 8 X-Men with a fancy box with a magnetic lid, fancy cards. The Hellfire Gala, sculpts look pretty cool and one of them is Sunfire who seems like a pretty unmade figure as of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Wow. So that old team with the Structural Integrity Field barrier crap is essentially back?

I could have blown up their barrier but again that would involve me actually wanting to interact or play with that person in any way of which I had neither.

thebardyspoon posted:

Apparently they're doing some sort of premium special pack of 8 X-Men with a fancy box with a magnetic lid, fancy cards. The Hellfire Gala, sculpts look pretty cool and one of them is Sunfire who seems like a pretty unmade figure as of late.

Agree on the sculpts being amazing. I want to see the dials though. I'm getting Watchmen 100 dollar set vibes from that packaging so its gotta be worth it for me