Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

worms butthole guy posted:

I've never used roll20 before only TTS. Do I need to download a asset pack or anything or just have the character cards handy

edit: i've been playing against myself in TTS and really enjoying this, glad u goons egged me on. I'm thinking of spending $40 and buying Atrocitus and Dax Starr figures now or *gulp* even a BTU booster box

This is where I get my assets for characters. It doesn't have tokens for Hellfire Club Gala or Batman Team-Up yet so I had to make my own. We already have assets up there for terrain markers, some maps, and as of last night dice for Rally, dice replacement, and other reasons you might need to record a roll's result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sweeet thank you. Powers I think are the only thing I don't know super well, like I can't tell what costs an action and what doesn't other than "FREE"

Edit: oh and when can you use special powers
Okay, so I promise this is not nearly as esoteric as it seems when it's all written out and actually goes by very intuitively when you're playing.

There are five action types -- MOVE, CLOSE, RANGE, POWER, and FREE. Please note the all caps: "MOVE" is an action type, it is different than "move", the instruction to move your character up to their speed value!

Each character can only take one non-FREE action per turn; these are called "costed actons". After taking a costed action, you place an action token on the character who took it. Characters with two action tokens can't take costed actions. You may take as many FREE actions as you want, but a character can't activate the same FREE effect more than once per turn -- so, for example, even though Outwit is FREE, you only get to counter one power with it.

Every character has access to some abilities even without having them printed on their dials or cards; these are called "inherent abilities" and are listed in the PAC. The three most core are the basic abilities: "MOVE: Move", "CLOSE: Make a close attack", and "RANGE: Make a range attack".

Apart from the inherent abilities, you have whatever your dial and card says you have. Powers come in two types; those that are always on, and those that you need to activate. Anything that precedes itself with an action type needs to be activated with the corresponding type; anything that doesn't is always on. Compare Phasing/Teleport and Leap/Climb: Leap/Climb is just a list of Improved Movement symbols. It's always on; as long as a character can use Leap/Climb, they have access to those symbols. Phasing/Teleport starts with "MOVE:". It is activated. If you want to gain access to those Improved Movement symbols, you must give the character a MOVE action and delcare that you are using Phasing/Teleport. The character will then gain access to those symbols and will perform the power's instructions (in this case, to move). Remember that FREE is still an action type: FREE actions must be activated, which means you need to be able to give the character an action -- it must be your turn and no other actions can be resolving.

As a general rule, powers that require MOVE, CLOSE, or RANGE will include their base instruction. POWER is for powers that are either more than one of those things (like Charge, which includes instructions to both move and make a close attack) or none of them (like Barrier, which places terrain markers).

Finally, you can only assign actions for a reason -- the character you assign the action token to must have a power or ability they can activate with it. Since all characters have the inherent abilities, which activate on MOVE, CLOSE, or RANGE, you just can't give POWER or FREE unless the character has a way to use it. (No, there's no possible good reason to give a character a POWER to do nothing, since it's a costed action -- even if you could, they'd just get an action token and be unable to take further costed actions that turn. This is mostly a patch to avoid taking infinite FREE actions and stalling the game.)

Does that help?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yes amazingly, sweet I feel ready to do this other than whatever the hell rally dice are.

Thank you both :D

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Yes amazingly, sweet I feel ready to do this other than whatever the hell rally dice are.

Thank you both :D
Rally dice are a thing that some characters can do, you don't have to worry about them for your first game.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

Finally, you can only assign actions for a reason -- the character you assign the action token to must have a power or ability they can activate with it. Since all characters have the inherent abilities, which activate on MOVE, CLOSE, or RANGE, you just can't give POWER or FREE unless the character has a way to use it. (No, there's no possible good reason to give a character a POWER to do nothing, since it's a costed action -- even if you could, they'd just get an action token and be unable to take further costed actions that turn. This is mostly a patch to avoid taking infinite FREE actions and stalling the game.)

Note, though, that you can give a character MOVE and then move them 0. That is— the last I knew, anyway— legal.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I have a question - what are the inherent abilities? Is that like Mr. Fantastics Movement skill?

https://www.hcrealms.com/index.php?page=units

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Round 1 resuilt: Kang Squadron defeats the X-Men, 160-0. Jean Grey died early to an opening salvo from Title Kang and a follow-up from Iron Lad, because I had no intention of dealing with her nonsense. Highlights were Longshot trusting his luck and running into the Kangs' reality distortion field only to learn that his luck was not good enough, Longshot storing up luck to do it again next turn with a 5-5 crit hit that popped off Polaris' Hellfire party, and Immortus punching Omega Red to death.

I have a question - what are the inherent abilities? Is that like Mr. Fantastics Movement skill?

https://www.hcrealms.com/index.php?page=units
No, look on the second page of the PAC: https://wizkids.com/posters/reposit...ites%20Card.pdf The first column is Inherent Abilities, the things that all characters can do without a power or ability saying they can do it. Mr. Fantastic's movement thing is an Improved Movement symbol -- those are covered on the next column, but they're not at all inherent. You have to have the symbol to use them.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Ahhh okay gotcha, thank you. I forgot they were listed on the PAC

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

It didn't help the X-Men that I brain farted and forgot that on the map with the flooded buildings the buildings aren't elevated, so I wasn't hidiing behind them like I thought I was.

For those who know how to use GIMP or can understand tutorials, I've made a template for making character/object/etc. tokens. I used this template to make my tokens for Jean Grey, Polaris, and Leech. I've also made a template for markers like Kang's Time Portal, results as illustrated here. Bear in mind both are works in progress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Mightve gone a little overboard

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Welp, first box I ever opened. Only downhill from here

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Ah the sweet signs of a new clixer. Welcome to constantly chasing that next chase high

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I do like the idea of opening a box and that pays for the rest

Oh no it's gambling all over again

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I do like the idea of opening a box and that pays for the rest

Oh no it's gambling all over again

I sent you a link for the Roll20 game, make sure to click and join the game so I can make you a GM

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Welp, first box I ever opened. Only downhill from here
Out of four boosters? You insanely lucky bastard.

Have fun with the Hellfire Gala, though, that’s good stuff. They’re a really fun mini-set.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yep, and the very first one i opened. Nothing too terribly exciting in the others except for a Kang

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
getting a nightcrawler out of clobbering time was the best high i've ever gotten. Still chasing that dragon.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Pulling rainbow unicorn Deadpool was a pretty good one.

Pulling the original KC Superman multiple times was also a good feeling.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

The power of the meme and 1% of Shaggy's true power was too much for the Fantastic Four who fell 250-0

While the fantastic fours ability to simply say nope your actions over to anyone trying to base them did slow down Shaggy a few times, eventually the Fantastic Four had to get in close. Poor Ben was the first victim, being hurt by an Ultra Instinct Punch and then falling to Scooby follow up. Spiderman bravely charged in to try to hit velma but fell victim to swole fred and his fists of fury. Human Torch pulsed the entire team for a click before being punched by Velma and then Ultra'd. Doom was finally based by shaggy and while he did hit him for 1 Shaggy next turn made sure to hit him with a dumpster and CCE for a KO. Shaggy made a lot of willpower rolls this game.

Spent the majority of the game teaching about carrying and sidestep and swing so it was fun and memeclix now get to go against the time jerks.

Round 1 standings

Me 1-0 250
Andy 1-0 160
Maniac - 0
Worms - 0

So matchups are Me V Andy and Worms V Maniac. Play your games before the 22nd.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
lol yes thank you Morand for teaching me - there's alot that goes on in this game with the ever changing abilities and such, but drat if it doesn't keep its feeling of being a super hero

Maniac i'll reach out about schedulign our game

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

worms and maniac, if you guys want me to sit in as judge for your game, I’m willing.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

worms and maniac, if you guys want me to sit in as judge for your game, I’m willing.

That might be a good idea, considering my recollection is rusty on some rules changes since WW80. I think we're looking at tomorrow sometime, TBA.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Quick question:

Penetrating means skills like Invulnerbility don't apply right to that damage attack (if ranged)?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So some friends and I played clix for the first time in 3 years with a brick of Avengers Forever:

- The rule changes are actually pretty minor, and in most cases, are just a simplification. Some do seem a bit drastic (Telekinesis), and some look like a big change but make almost no difference (Leap/Climb). The change to passivity (RCE/CCE/etc.) was really, really nice, but was a little difficult to remember. INDOM FOR EVERYONE isn't a big change when you consider it ends up evening out for those pieces without move and attack.

- The larger sculpts do typically look better, but I notice a lot more leaning sculpts and bent weapons. I'm also not thrilled by character selection in some of the recent sets, but I guess I don't read as many new comics, so that's probably just me.

- The point value changes seem wild; not a huge deal within a set, but we each came in under 300 points when building from blind boosters. In our group, we'll absolutely play older stuff with new, so I can't imagine how well they'll mix.

- WizKids apparently doesn't give a poo poo about maps anymore?

- No more Fast Forces, only $70 "minigames". What?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Quick question:

Penetrating means skills like Invulnerbility don't apply right to that damage attack (if ranged)?

See: https://wizkids.com/posters/repository/heroclix/HeroClix%20Comprehensive%20Rules%2012.19.22.pdf, top of page 41 (of 81).

Penetrating damage is damage that can't be reduced. Several powers (Toughness, Invulnerability, Impervious) can reduce damage taken by 1, 2, or potentially all; but they still have to eat all penetrating damage. Invincible, on the other hand, reduces damage taken by 2 - including penetrating. There are a few random pieces that state they simply reduce damage; unless they explicitly state they reduce penetrating damage, they eat it, too.

You might be confused by the text for the attack power Penetrating/Psychic Blast. That power just means damage dealt by that character via a ranged attack is penetrating - it can't be reduced unless they have a power/ability that lets them do so.

So, it's pretty common for you to see an attack resolve and play out like this:

Opponent rolls dice, his Bebop's attack value of 11 plus a dice result of 9 equals 20; it's a close attack using no powers
You check the defense dial of Spider-Man - printed 18 with Toughness
Opponent: "Okay, my attack succeeds. Bebop deals 3 damage."
You: "D'oh! Spider-Man has toughness, so I take net 2."
You click Spidey twice

If Bebop had an ability that let him deal penetrating, Spidey would take all 3. Does that help?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yep :D thank you so much

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yep :D thank you so much

No problem! I just wish there were better video resources for gameplay and rules explanations.

How is your collection looking so far?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Good! I didn't get anything too crazy, nor had the chance to index them yet. I've actually been making an pseudo HCRealms replacement that's much easier to use because the site is unusable imho and I keep forgetting about powers. Should have a preview soon

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Good! I didn't get anything too crazy, nor had the chance to index them yet. I've actually been making an pseudo HCRealms replacement that's much easier to use because the site is unusable imho and I keep forgetting about powers. Should have a preview soon

Do you also keep getting the challenge to prove you're not a bot?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
No luckily, I just hate how you can't open multi pane and when you put a team together, hate that there's no easy way to see what a move does without consulting PAC or remembering it, and there's nothing that shows you all the skills & powers at your disposal. Here's how its coming along so far:

So mouse over on the dials; a dial you can use on the right and then on the far right you have:

Any ability you have that can "buff" anyone in your team or enemy

Any moves that cost an action for quick reference

of course I only have 2 figures in there now compared to the thousands that are on the other sites (and my CSS skills match theirs lol) but for my dumb noobie rear end I like being able to see the Team Buffs and mouse over. Makes stuff much more efficient imho

edit: you can play with it here in the interim

https://frozen-lowlands-62380.herokuapp.com/

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I've done more work on the token template. I added backgrounds for all rarities and made an alternate green outer ring for making bystander tokens. Toggle the visibility of the various layers and you're good to go. The very top layer (colored ring black stroke) is for if you're making a Unique or Prime to give the ring contrast against the inner portion over the character.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Sweet thanks

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Played Maniac, got my rear end kicked but learned so so much about the history. Thanks again mang.

I'm down to play more after this tournament if anyone's down

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

For what it matters, I scored 150, KOing Doom, Reed, and Spidey. That Omega Red can be nasty. WBG lucked out by probbing a Mind Controlled Thing into a miss on an already-hurt Doom.Daken plus All-Black the Necrosword allowed me to finish off both Spidey and Reed with its "No Super Senses for you! EVER!" nonsense.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
if anyone wants to play in the next few days let me know, i'm dying to play more. nearest board game store that plays heroclix is 2 hours away and only plays on sundays :negative:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

if anyone wants to play in the next few days let me know, i'm dying to play more. nearest board game store that plays heroclix is 2 hours away and only plays on sundays :negative:

Play a game of solitaire - create a 300 point team that attacks a monster (use an action figure or something), and give it 20 clicks of life (using a d20) with Impervious and Cosmic Power (so you can't outwit it) - give it a defense value of 18, and if you kill it quickly, try it again at 19, etc. Make it so its only attacks are a pulse wave that hits everything for 1.

You'll learn a lot about how to use certain pieces, and about how useful Barrier is.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

You know there will be a third round in this tournament right? Be patient young padawan there will be more games.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Mystery Inc and the Council of Kangs went to a 0-0 Tie.

In an official tournament we are both horrible losers, but for this we rolled off and I won.

Shaggy very early blitzed the 100 point Kang for 5 to take him off his very threatening clicks and then it became a game of plinking Shaggy and him healing back just a little bit with steal energy. Velma got hit badly to her last click and stayed there the rest of the game. Daphne lost her scooby snacks as she could heal no one and swole Fred with the power of his pecs, made title kang flee through a time portal rather then get flurried. The turning point of the game was on a turn where Shaggy on click 6 attempted to hit both 100 point Kang and a pog. Had both missed their senses, Shaggy would have KO'd both of them and healed 4 clicks to click 2, completely swinging the game back to me but while Immortus did miss, Kang did not and thus the tie happened.

So final round matchups!

Andy v Worms
Me V Maniac

Morand fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 19, 2023

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Morand posted:

You know there will be a third round in this tournament right? Be patient young padawan there will be more games.

I didn't but now that I know I am STOKED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The Council of Kangs swears revenge! We will unmake the very concept of 'dog' from human history!

WHITHER YOUR SCOOBY SNACKS ON A WORLD WHERE NO WHEAT GROWS, PATHETIC MORTAL TEEN DETECTIVES