Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

Some of them can also do some cheap damage, like V Shi from Indy. 47 points for Stealth and BCF is nothing to sneeze at, plus the Crusade TA is kind of neat too.

Ugh, vet Shi. Literally no figure in the history of the game has given me more trouble than that one. She just always kicks my rear end, no matter what. Always rolls great for Blades, always makes her Senses, and that 8 range is always a shock.

And, yeah, Crusades was always my favorite team ability to Thunderbolt, back when you could pick any TA. Such a fun little mechanic, even if it hardly ever came up.

My local shop started getting 'Clix in again, too! Got my FF starter, my Black Widow box (chase Taskmaster was a let-down, not because he's bad, but because I really want that Widow), and my Widow-on-motorcycle. Now I just need physical games to start up again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

CapnAndy posted:

oh god the flashbacks, why are you eternally like this

Man you want flashbacks? For the longest time my nuclear option of I wanna win a game was CD V Dr. Light with the stunning blow and trickshot feat cards. I’d have a Hive trooper carry him around while he handed out damage and tokens. It never lost in any of the times I played it.

I remember probably the meanest time I ever did that combo was in a tournament where the venue let you play the same 2 BFC’s every round and the Ordinary Day feat Card was banned. This was way before keywords too so no cancelling BFC’s that way either.

It was high points too like 600 or 700. I ran a ton of pieces with no move and attack, outwit, incap, and a shitload of stunning blow. My BFC’s were Power Dampening Field and Inertial Interference field. Basically all damage was capped at 3 and if you did a RS, Charge, or HSS attack you got another -2 damage. So many people just played their biggest beat sticks and all of them were doing one damage, or walking up to me and getting incapped to death.

~Memories~

Morand fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 27, 2020

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Another Roll20 game in the age of Covid.

Andy’s Avenegers

Caav Chase Thor at full
Caav Captain Marvel
Caav Captain America who can stop negative modifications
Motorcycle Black Widow
Happy Hogan
Caav Chase Ghost Rider
Chase Caav Namor

Versus my JLU (all from animated set)

FF Dragonball punch Superman
Prime Batman
90 point Wonder Woman with leadership
1 full point Dr. Fate
5 10 point ones
Question
Huntress
Booster Gold
Non brain robbery Flash

We played on the Roc pit fight map.

I went first, moving to elevated. Andy moves out with happy or rider carrying most of the team. I managed to roll WW’s leadership to take a token off Superman who hyper’d out, hit marvel, knocked her back and then hit her again. Batman then got TK’d onto elevated, took his free action and sang a lovely song that made the avengers beat Captain Marvel and Happy Hogan to death. Thor and ghost rider tried to hit Batman but question had a banked 1 to stop Thor and rider missed. Superman took a few hits but was ok.

Batman crooned again and Thor ended up dead between WW and bus friends. Namor ended up nearly end dusk from a Superman CCE and then dragonball punch and we called it there.

That Batman is a little bit of hard bullshit and I can see why people were going nuts for him.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Morand posted:

That Batman is a little bit of hard bullshit and I can see why people were going nuts for him.

I haven't really looked at the set until now, but I can see that. Primes have always been a bullshit proposition balance-wise, but some are way worse than other. For 40 points he's a little too good.

There's also a dice manipulator (a box I personally think they never should have opened) in The Question for only 40 points, but at least he's an uncommon so he's not going to be super-expensive. Someone please tell me Crimson Avenger has a power called "Have you seen this pig?" and ideally another named "Gladys! It's for you!" Amazo's a great concept but his utility relies in having the team-up cards, which means they might end up getting fairly expensive if it turns out you can build a World-class team around him with them. The Martian Manhunter is drat solid for 100 points. That Darkseid, though, is nasty for the current environment, especially with his Defense getting up to 20 on his last click and that Steal Energy combined with his Apokolips Armor and Omega Beam potentially allowing him a TON of staying power.

Does Black Vulcan have a power named "That's Supervolt!"?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

I haven't really looked at the set until now, but I can see that. Primes have always been a bullshit proposition balance-wise, but some are way worse than other. For 40 points he's a little too good.

There's also a dice manipulator (a box I personally think they never should have opened) in The Question for only 40 points, but at least he's an uncommon so he's not going to be super-expensive. Someone please tell me Crimson Avenger has a power called "Have you seen this pig?" and ideally another named "Gladys! It's for you!" Amazo's a great concept but his utility relies in having the team-up cards, which means they might end up getting fairly expensive if it turns out you can build a World-class team around him with them. The Martian Manhunter is drat solid for 100 points. That Darkseid, though, is nasty for the current environment, especially with his Defense getting up to 20 on his last click and that Steal Energy combined with his Apokolips Armor and Omega Beam potentially allowing him a TON of staying power.

Does Black Vulcan have a power named "That's Supervolt!"?

Amazo doesn’t NEED the sideline cards. They help but he can be very devastating on his own borrowing powers from teammates and opponents. In pauper formats he’s a loving nightmare. In normal constructed events he’s getting clowned by the chase widow from the movie set.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Another day another Roll20 game. 300 points this time.

My JLU Seven Soldiers with their team up card

Versus

FF Superman
020 Flash
Common Batman
Question

Batman and Flash were teaming up.

Want to know how to make question utterly useless? Perplex your attack to a level where you need only a 6 to hit when per your team up card your minimum roll is a 6. It also didn’t hurt that both times Shining Knight not Superman he rolled a 6 for his blades.

I lost crimson avenger and shining knight but it was a strong showing for the soldiers.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Well I just had the worst experience playing a heroclix game ever, thanks to rolld20, which I am officially calling out as being not random and instead having it in for me, personally.

It was my Mongul-led brute/warrior squad against Morand's Injustice League.

Here are my attack rolls all game, and remember, this was on rolld20 so I have an exact log:

And here are Morand's:

Plot those both out on a bell curve and ask yourself, which looks like a normal distribution of 2d6 and which is utter loving bullshit?

Other highlights include Morand rolling a 6 for blades and rolling a 7 on his first try targeting Con Lobo on his stop click. That sucked, I hated it, does anyone want a heroclix collection, I'm selling it cheap.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Yeah that game was something. Andy’s also not mentioning that he had one piece below 100 points on his team who got to do precisely jack poo poo because of all my injustice league guys tossing tokens on him.

But those rolls. Yikes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I've bought a brick and a bunch of extra boosters of JLU, and so far, I'm really loving the set. Here are my thoughts:

- My brick netted a chase (Black Vulcan) and Super Rares (Big Barda, Warhawk with a bent wing, and Star Sapphire). I was kind of 'meh' about my brick, considering it didn't get me the things I really wanted (Grundy, Ultra-Humanite, STRIPE, Booster Gold, more Justice Lords).
- Later individual boosters got me prime singing Batman and Crimson Avenger.
- They're pretty generous with team-up cards in that I seem to get one in almost half the boosters. The only problem is that, in a sealed environment, you almost never pull the person you need to complete the team-up.
- A few friends and I do booster openings (2 at a time) over Skype on a weekly basis for team-building, and typically, it's a Justice League Theme Team. Only once has anyone pulled a team-up card that had the right teammate in the same booster or the 2nd - and we've probably opened 3 bricks between us.
- I have a small mountain of scientists from this set I'll likely never play.
- Other than the bent wing Warhawk (which is easily fixable, but I may just leave it because it looks like he's in flight), I had a Captain Atom with a missing fist. No other issues, QC-wise.
- A friend pulled the Justice Lords Manhunter, and he looks great, but it just seems off, given that he has no range or mind control.
- I can't wait to actually play Dr. Fate and a few copies. Current Fatecount: 3.
- The Justice Lords Batman would be great, except for any opposing character being able to mind control him. It'd be great if it was just 'other characters named Batman may mind control Batman' or something.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Red posted:

- A friend pulled the Justice Lords Manhunter, and he looks great, but it just seems off, given that he has no range or mind control.

I think it's just representing him being a bit more brutal and less restrained than your typical Martian Manhunter. So instead of the mind control/incap/psychic blast he traditionally has (though none of the ones in this set have the latter ones at all) he's more into turning into a big monster and slicing fools up.

I think they did the Lords pretty well but I wish they had given them all cheaper half dials as well. They gave the Superman a 10 point dial to represent the robots they used as guards in Arkham but I wanted them all to get cheaper versions to play with the inevitable Brainiac/Luthor which I thought would definitely be in the set but he might be a con exclusive next year or something now. Seems weird if he doesn't ever get made considering the Cadmus focus in this set, same with General Eiling as well. With him they even made the 7 Soldiers specifically from the episode he was a villain in and gave them the team up card.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

I think it's just representing him being a bit more brutal and less restrained than your typical Martian Manhunter. So instead of the mind control/incap/psychic blast he traditionally has (though none of the ones in this set have the latter ones at all) he's more into turning into a big monster and slicing fools up.

I think they did the Lords pretty well but I wish they had given them all cheaper half dials as well. They gave the Superman a 10 point dial to represent the robots they used as guards in Arkham but I wanted them all to get cheaper versions to play with the inevitable Brainiac/Luthor which I thought would definitely be in the set but he might be a con exclusive next year or something now. Seems weird if he doesn't ever get made considering the Cadmus focus in this set, same with General Eiling as well. With him they even made the 7 Soldiers specifically from the episode he was a villain in and gave them the team up card.

Given that we still don't have Hawkgirl in her DCAU costume (with a helmet), the rest of the Royal Flush gang, Luthor in armor, DCAU Grodd, and tons of other people (Toyman, Lobo, Kalibak, Weather Wizard, etc.), I can totally see these folks and the Brainiac/Luthor in a Superman set.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I ordered a Black Widow CTD off of wizkids' store, as well as the motorcycle.

I got the chase Widow, a complete 1-16 set, two Widow Recruits, and my only dupes were 001 Black Widow, the common and rare Red Guardian, and common Taskmaster. So I'm really happy with it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Red posted:

Given that we still don't have Hawkgirl in her DCAU costume (with a helmet), the rest of the Royal Flush gang, Luthor in armor, DCAU Grodd, and tons of other people (Toyman, Lobo, Kalibak, Weather Wizard, etc.), I can totally see these folks and the Brainiac/Luthor in a Superman set.

Yeah I'm expecting that. Kinda sucks for DC fans who aren't hugely into the DCAU though if they do do a Superman animated set, all they've had is Rebirth otherwise since 2017.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I feel an Arrowverse/CW set is inevitable. And having just watched Stargirl, that means the JSA. And Joel McHale.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Did everyone see the Galactus reveal yesterday? He has 0 speed but can take a power action to be placed anywhere in the map. So either you sit him in your starting area forever and hope opponents come to you or take a power action to then get shot to hell?

Hope that herald dial is worth 100 bucks cause yikes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

Did everyone see the Galactus reveal yesterday? He has 0 speed but can take a power action to be placed anywhere in the map. So either you sit him in your starting area forever and hope opponents come to you or take a power action to then get shot to hell?

I was going to skip it just because I didn't care for the style of the sculpt, but yikes indeed.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Morand posted:

I mean, he's Galactus. "shooting him to hell" is going to be a tough proposition, and he's a giant target regardless, so it should kinda be expected, shouldn't it? Plus, I don't think we got all his traits/powers and such in that video. There may be more to it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

I mean, he's Galactus. "shooting him to hell" is going to be a tough proposition, and he's a giant target regardless, so it should kinda be expected, shouldn't it? Plus, I don't think we got all his traits/powers and such in that video. There may be more to it.
We'd better not have, because if you just look at the starting lines we saw, those dials are awful for the points. Ultron should not be laughing his rear end off at Galactus because he can do better for cheaper.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

It’s not though, there’s a ton of ways to strip his power cosmic and outwit him. He will take far more damage then he deals out. Christ if he can’t see through stealth Dario Agger will be his loving bane

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tonight me and morand did Apokolips vs. Hellfire Club and the lesson learned is, unless you have a purpose-built tentpole killer like chase Widow, Darkseid will loving march through an army single-handedly slaughtering them all and there's nothing you can do about it.

I lost all my Parademons on basically the first action of the game when Jason Wyngarde did a massive mind control chain, and it did not matter.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Yeah the hellfire club tore through the entirety of his army pretty quickly but really couldn’t do enough damage to keep up with Darkseid. Especially since he made a decent amount of his special impervious rolls.

There were several chances, and Darkseid was several times knocked to his last impervious click only for attacks to miss. A chewie bystander at one point hit Darkseid 4x in a row only to see Darkseid impervious 3 of the attacks and the one he didn’t he rolled a 1 for blades. We called it when it was just jean and Jason versus Darkseid as I could at best brute force 2 damage through and he could easily heal it with steal energy.

I take solace in the face that I would have won a timed game as Jason opened the game with an utterly massive mind control chain that hit everyone on his force save 1 parademon and ended up losing him flash god of death and all but 2 demons.

But yeah if you can’t strip his power cosmic, or don’t have a piece over 200 with psyblast, it will be unpleasant to deal with him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

Yeah the hellfire club tore through the entirety of his army pretty quickly but really couldn’t do enough damage to keep up with Darkseid. Especially since he made a decent amount of his special impervious rolls.

There were several chances, and Darkseid was several times knocked to his last impervious click only for attacks to miss. A chewie bystander at one point hit Darkseid 4x in a row only to see Darkseid impervious 3 of the attacks and the one he didn’t he rolled a 1 for blades. We called it when it was just jean and Jason versus Darkseid as I could at best brute force 2 damage through and he could easily heal it with steal energy.

I take solace in the face that I would have won a timed game as Jason opened the game with an utterly massive mind control chain that hit everyone on his force save 1 parademon and ended up losing him flash god of death and all but 2 demons.

But yeah if you can’t strip his power cosmic, or don’t have a piece over 200 with psyblast, it will be unpleasant to deal with him.

:eng101: Quintessence!

But in all seriousness, while he's a tank, it is odd he can't theme team it up with anyone in this set but Barda, which is going to be really, really tough to do in sealed, as they're both Super Rare - and even then, she can only be played at 110 or 50. That's so ... WizKids.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

:eng101: Quintessence!

But in all seriousness, while he's a tank, it is odd he can't theme team it up with anyone in this set but Barda, which is going to be really, really tough to do in sealed, as they're both Super Rare - and even then, she can only be played at 110 or 50. That's so ... WizKids.
Apokolips has been an ill-served keyword lately, that's very true. I ended up digging all the way back to Cosmic Justice for Parademons, because if I was gonna have to break Modern anyway and the more recent ones aren't worth their points, I might as well just stack cheap idiots who can die for Darkseid.

It is sort of bothersome that we got this amazing Darkseid and he has absolutely no army to lead.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They got quite a lot of keyword figures in the Harley Quinn set, which was only a few years back (which is surprising, I thought it was actually less time ago). There's a lot more under represented teams and parts of the DC universe I think and the massive gaps in between DC sets doesn't help really. If they do end up doing a Superman TAS set then that'd probably have a Bruno Mannheim/Intergang generic, Granny Goodness, Kalibak, some Parademons etc.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

They got quite a lot of keyword figures in the Harley Quinn set, which was only a few years back (which is surprising, I thought it was actually less time ago). There's a lot more under represented teams and parts of the DC universe I think and the massive gaps in between DC sets doesn't help really. If they do end up doing a Superman TAS set then that'd probably have a Bruno Mannheim/Intergang generic, Granny Goodness, Kalibak, some Parademons etc.

There's enough unclixed stuff out there that they could do a random DC set with no real theme and give it a generic name.

And I know people would love to see redos of pieces that were underwhelming.

Then again, I'm not a huge DC guy, and I think the pieces I'd like to see may be too obscure.

- I don't know that Bloodwynd is even a current character, but I'd like to be able to pair him with a Manhunter.
- Pretty sure Metamorpho is going to be called Element Man for a while.
- I'd like to see Conduit, just because we could use more Super-villains. See also: a new Atomic Skull.
- They never made a Vril Dox, but he wouldn't really have anyone to share keywords with anyway.
- I'd love a new Clayface 3, but I don't know how many folks recall the Mud Pack storyline. That got an actual keyword - I wish they'd kept it.
- Crimson Fox hasn't been made in years, and they've never made a standalone Oberon. Blockbuster hasn't been made in forever.

I wonder if they'd ever entertain a set based on fan vote?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

thebardyspoon posted:

God, I still remember playing the original Intergang team from the Common #001 Superman & Friends set. The Underbosses were surprisingly beefy, and Bruno was fun when he didn't blow past either of his 2-Storys Tall clicks.

I'm also quietly hoping we'll get some TTG! clix with abilities that upend the usual gameplay loop somehow.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

There is no way that Bloodwynd is a current character. Names like that expired in 1998.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Steve Vader posted:

There is no way that Bloodwynd is a current character. Names like that expired in 1998.

Didn't that turn out to be Martian Manhunter anyway?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

Didn't that turn out to be Martian Manhunter anyway?

Sort of. Bloodwynd was a necromancer wielding a magical gem passed down from his ancestors, who had been slaves that used blood magic to rebel. Their former owner turned into a demon, and imprisoned Bloodwynd in the gem. From there, J'onn wore the gem and got possessed by Bloodwynd for a while. Eventually the JLI managed to separate them and free Bloodwynd, who stayed on the team for a while.

You know, comics.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hi, if the forums die, should we just convene on the Realms, or set up a Facebook group, or what? I like having an online clix group that doesn't get shitted up with screaming.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Red posted:

Hi, if the forums die, should we just convene on the Realms, or set up a Facebook group, or what? I like having an online clix group that doesn't get shitted up with screaming.

Is there a clix discord?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

Is there a clix discord?
Well, there is now. I made it in five minutes, at least it's a liferaft.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Am I gonna have to figure out Discord?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

It's not too bad, actually.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Steve Vader posted:

Probably. I just messaged How Wonderful suggesting that we maybe set one up for BSS in general.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Probably. I just messaged How Wonderful suggesting that we maybe set one up for BSS in general.
There is one! https://discord.gg/PjwUTz

Discord's fine, it's a chat room. It's super easy to create sub-chats and apply permissions and stuff but you don't have to worry about that, just click links and get in the rooms.

Reverend Redglare
Jan 30, 2010

Possibly a dumb question, but it’s surprisingly hard to find an answer and I know very little about HeroClix, how compatible are different HeroClix sets when played against each other? If I picked up the new FF starter set and also got the Star Trek TNG Fast forces pack, would an all trek team vs an all FF team be evenly matched if they had roughly the same amount of points? What about something like WWE vs whatever?

We’re basically playing it like a board game, so I’m not super worried about power differences for booster packs, and you can safely assume we don’t really know what we’re doing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Reverend Redglare posted:

Possibly a dumb question, but it’s surprisingly hard to find an answer and I know very little about HeroClix, how compatible are different HeroClix sets when played against each other? If I picked up the new FF starter set and also got the Star Trek TNG Fast forces pack, would an all trek team vs an all FF team be evenly matched if they had roughly the same amount of points? What about something like WWE vs whatever?

We’re basically playing it like a board game, so I’m not super worried about power differences for booster packs, and you can safely assume we don’t really know what we’re doing.

Everything is fully compatible in terms of mechanics and rules and stuff. Sometimes stuff made years apart will be pretty unbalanced due to shifting design philosophy but anything made in the same or similar years tends to be pretty playable with other sets from that time. So in your example the FF starter and the TNG fast forces which came out about a year ago, that should be fine if they're paying the same points for the teams like you said. Any recent booster stuff will be similarly playable should you decide to grab some.

The WWE set has some unique rules and powers for their figures and those function in Heroclix as well, that'd all be in the rulebook from that starter set if you did get it or you can just look it up online if you happen to get a figure on its own or whatever.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

bardy already gave you the answer that yes, it's all cross-compatible. That's a great deal of the appeal. (One caveat: the Star Trek ships are not technically cross-compatible, but in actuality they use the same rules with the same powers. Just read "ship" for "figure" and vice versa.)

In theory, teams of equal point values should be evenly matched. It may help to know that traditionally, the game is played in 100 point increments. Tournament standard is 300, 200 is doable but limiting, and anything over 800 starts to get real silly, but silly games can be fun too. That said, player skill is a thing, team building is a skill, and not all pieces are equally powerful.

Luckily for you, though, starter sets and fast forces are specifically built to team up well together at an about-equal point value. You're using them exactly right, as pre-built teams for entry level players.

There's lots of good tutorial videos on youtube and you can feel free to ask us any question, there's a lot of HeroClix experience in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

1. That is not a dumb question, at all.
2. Welcome!
3. All Heroclix work together; the only ones you can't match are things called Horrorclix and Sportsclix, but those haven't been made in like 15 years.
4. If you want a Ninja Turtle, Randy Savage, and Spock team to be able to handle M. Bison (of Street Fighter 2 fame), Superman, and the Ghost of Abraham Lincoln, you are in the right place.

Ask all the questions you want, and we enjoy pictures.

I just picked up the Unpainted Danger, and the guy who runs our shop recommended I paint it with a Citadel Contrast called Talassar Blue.

I think she looks great:

Whole thing took 5 minutes.