Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

What is HeroClix?
HeroClix is a licensed collectible miniatures game of superhero combat. It technically has three main "universes," which are Marvel, DC, and Indy. Indy is basically a catchall for anything that isn't owned by the Big Two, such as characters like Hellboy, Witchblade, and Danger Girl. Indy hasn't had a release of any kind since 2007 with the Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. Action Pack, so while it exists in the game on paper no modern releases fall under it. There's also a sort of a sort of scattered "other" universe, with Street Fighter, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, and other miscellaneous licensed material. The universes are all playable with each other because it's all one unified game system, so yes, you can play Superman, Wolverine, and Hellboy all on the same team. Now you can even throw in Master Chief, Gandalf, M. Bison, the starship Enterprise, Gipsy Danger, Dark Magician, Shredder, and Ric Flair! It was produced by Wizkids Games, which Hasbro bought, ran for a few years, then abruptly shut down in late 2008 despite HeroClix being a cash cow. NECA bought WizKids and its assets and brought the game back with the Hammer of Thor release, which came out in November 2009 to much fanfare of HeroClix players.

Over the years it's evolved from being pretty simple— with the philosophy that everything you need to know about the figure is on its base and dial, coupled with the rulebook and Powers & Abilities Card (PAC)— to being pretty complex to being… “simpler” may be a bit strong, but “less complex” is a fair statement. The Mutant Mayhem set (released in 2004) introduced Feats and Battlefield Conditions, which give figures special abilities (or change the way their existing abilities work) or change how the game works for everybody, respectively. They don't make Feats or BFCs anymore. The Fantastic Forces set (2005) also added giants (tall characters who can punch two squares away; they technically debuted in Mutant Mayhem with Giant-Man as a chase), double-based figures (who take up two squares instead of one), and transporters (who can carry other figures even if they wouldn't otherwise be able to). Duo figures came later (representing a close team, like Hawk & Dove, Batman & Robin, or Cap & Bucky) as did vehicles and team bases which all come with their own special sets of rules via combat abilities granted by the combat symbols that make them special. The new rules have abandoned duos, team bases, and transporters to the past.

As of the release of the Avengers set and Legion of Super-Heroes starter (late summer of 2007), figures now have character cards, which have enabled special powers and "keywords," around which players can build teams that are themed around something about the characters they're using. This could be as readily-identifiable (a "Named" keyword) as the character's team affiliation(s) or background such as Avengers or Kryptonian, or it could be something simpler and more broad (a "Generic" keyword), like "Scientist," "Politician," or "Ruler." The 2014 rulebook (which is the last to include rules for Golden Age-only elements like feats or relics, so get it before they take it down) has a list of the Generic keywords while the current rulebook just says they're italicized, which wasn't always the case.

It bears mentioning that you absolutely need the current rules, especially a copy of the Powers and Abilities Card. I keep seeing people using old PACs so they know which powers are which and using an old one is fine for at least that. However, in the 2013 rules they added pink powers which won't be on PACs from before that, plus the wording on existing powers isn't current. I repeat, DO NOT use an old Powers and Abilities Card for rules reference. The link below lets you download it for free. Print that off and use it if you can’t get a starter. They changed a LOT of things in both the 2017 rulebook and PAC and then again in 2021, attempting to simplify many powers and the core rules so that everything's more balanced and makes more intuitive sense. A lot of the reason for this was that the HeroClix rules had bloated over the years to the point where the game had become so complex that it was beginning to collapse under its own weight, having become almost unteachable.

What do I need? :10bux:
Obviously, you need the figures. To be more helpful, like in pretty much any other miniatures game you build to a certain point total, the default of which is 300 in organized tournaments (discussed below). The best way to just be able to learn how to play the game is to get some figures and assemble them into a couple teams of equal point value. This will be easiest if you get a starter if you can find one. Starters these days come in the form of Battlegrounds sets, which have simplified dials intended to teach the game. The Battlegrounds: Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary set includes more basic rules that read like more of a quick-start and really don’t define enough of the game to play outside of it, but you should get the basic feel of things from it. No previous Battlegrounds set or starter contains a current version of the rules.

Other than starters, figures come mainly in Fast Forces packs (that until one point also contained maps and dice but no rules) and either 5-figure boosters or single-figure packs from a type of display known as either "gravity feed" (GF) or "countertop display" (CTD), which. Both are essentially the same thing, just with a slightly different method of physical delivery of the single boosters. Some sets only came as a CTD. They used to make some CTDs as "primer displays" for a set that came out two weeks ahead of the main set. Primers were a sort of sub-set with collector's numbers within the main set of 201-210, using the same sculpts but different stats. The last CTD was the Black Widow Movie set from May 2020. You really don’t see CTD sets anymore, but might see them in a game store as (hopefully well-discounted) back stock. WWE Wave 1 (to date the only wave with Wave 2 allegedly coming at some point) figures came in single, non-blind boxes as well as a full starter with PAC— including additional new powers that relied on circular stat slot backgrounds instead of square— and the Single Universe Core Rulebook, but that rulebook was intended for single-universe (read: WWE-only) play and said to use the regular rules for “multiverse” (read: using them with anything else) play. You do need those documents, though, if you use WWE figures in regular HeroClix, which they are compatible with.

Buying a starter will give you the most recent rulebook and Powers & Abilities Card— a.k.a. the PAC— which explains what all the little colored boxes mean depending which slot they're in. Note: The most recent non-Battlegrounds starters are Justice League Unlimited and Fantastic Four: Cosmic Clash. You'll also get maps, which are necessary for playing the game. Having the most recent rules is important because they can evolve pretty sharply in particular aspects between revisions. There’s also the fact that starters tend to sell out really quickly and they don’t keep them evergreen like they did prior to, say, 2011.

With a starter, you also get a double-sided map (you need these to play), dice, terrain markers (specifically Smoke, Barrier, Water, and Special markers), object tokens, and you used to get a ring for turning the bases, which except for the first couple Marvel as well as all the NECA-era (except for the LoSH starter and Avengers) sets turn by little ridges on the bottom of the base, though some turn by holding the figure and rotating the dial with an outer ring on the base (the "cup-style" base). Some figures from sets with the bottom-turning bases have cup bases with colors other than black, but this is because of the now-defunct Archenemy mechanic. As of the Superman set in 2011 they moved to the far-superior "Oreo-style" bases, where you hold the top half of the base and turn the bottom. Protip: don't hold the figure itself and turn the dial or you could break the figure. Some of them are kind of fragile.

Gods above and below, more rules crap?
Yep. HeroClix is a fun but it can be a very complicated game, or at least it could in the past. The 2017 rules attempted to diminish this significantly, with the 2021 rules paring the complexity down even further.
You can get the Core Rulebook, the PAC, and Comprehensive Tournament Rules on the Wizkids rules page. Additionally— and this is important if you're going to play super old figures— you can get the document that gives keywords to the figures predating character cards here. See the second post of this thread for links to errata documents that bring old game elements into line with the new rules language.

The "Rules Deputies" (now referred to as the Rules Team) used to post on HCRealms but now post on a single account (which sometimes contradicts itself as a result, but this seems to have gotten much better) on the new WizKids Rules Forums, where they now put all the errata and clarifications. However, existing HCRealms forum rulings stand unless later contradicted, which many, many of them have been. The problem is that they’ll make stealth edits to existing rulings without bumping the threads announcing that the ruling changed, plus they prune threads in what to a sane, rational mind should be a permanent archive.

The Watch List is something they've implemented to try to fix absurdly broken game elements, like the thrice-damned Pym Pocket Tank that just about made me quit playing entirely all on its own. It's essentially a list of elements they've noticed make a disproportionate impact on the competitive scene and require inclusion in pretty much any serious competitive team because they're kind of game-breaking, or at least perceived as such. For example, the Utility Belt resource was originally pretty broken because you could use its Prep Time special power to put it on any of its clicks with a +2 to all combat values and set up a serious alpha strike with it, possibly even keeping the belt on that same click given the right game effects. They've since fixed both aspects of that brokenness, the latter with an erratum by saying that you couldn't turn it onto any click with a power showing, striking the word "special" from the rules text of Prep Time. That's an example of what the Watch List can do. They only update the Watch List a couple times a year, usually announcing the results around a month or two later. Note that just because something gets put on the Watch List that doesn't mean they'll do something about it. They may either decide a game element placed on it doesn’t need any action or forget to do anything about it at all, saving it for next time instead of revising or supplementing the announcement.

Where do I play?
You can, of course, play at home. However, that might be a bit of a challenge. Check with your local game or comic book store (basically, wherever you buy the figures, assuming you do so at retail) to see if they hold Organized Play (OP) tournaments. Wizkids has set up an event system to help you find local venues at https://www.wizkidseventsystem.com. One of the best ways to learn the game is to get your rear end kicked over and over again. This teaches you tactics, though you should make sure you at least know the basics— turn sequence, line of fire, how powers and team abilities work and interact, etc. Tournaments will allow you to both learn the finer points of the game and find people to play and trade with.

The foregoing, of course, applied before COVID hit and nobody’s quite sure when events will get back up and running. Meanwhile, we’ve been running private tournaments in this very thread, using Roll20 to play. In these tournaments we consider all figures legal but restrict elements other than maps and figures to Modern Age-legal only to prevent weird rules interactions.

If you want to play at home for prizes you can order Play-At-Home Kits, which run :10bux: for a double-sided map and an OP Kit (a.k.a. LE) figure.

What's coming up?
Most recently we've had the Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary set release the 2021 rules, which at first were horribly incomplete because they were only the Battlegrounds: Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary rulebook but then they released the 2021 Comprehensive Rulebook and the 2021 PAC. Yes, the Comprehensive Rulebook is a bullet-point Word document, but honestly, I’d personally say it’s the most readable the rulebook’s ever been. It’ll be easier to update and definitely easier to cite.

quote:

Current
• Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary
June 2021
• X-Men: Rise and Fall
September 2021
• WWE Wave 2 [ed. Note: Squirrely Dan saying “Allegedly!” should be a smilie.]
• Avengers & Fantastic Four: Empyre

So why this thread?
There are a good number of HeroClix-playing goons here in BSS, so this is a thread for us to discuss the game. Join in! Morand is a sufficiently excellent player that he’s :siren:A TWO-TIME (2011 and 2013) WORLD CHAMPION:siren:, which won him the ability to make Chaos War Mr. Sinister and GotG Shriek. CapnAndy plays against Morand regularly, or at least did when in-person games were possible. Torrent gets to help with judging at Worlds and serves as the usual source for release dates. I'm the one who always starts these threads. Steve Vader’s name calls back to a great show and he loves Bi-Beast enough that I think he’d have taken Bi-Beast to the prom, but I love Fight-Man so I’m not judging. I was my local venue's official Rules Lawyer because A) I'm an actual lawyer (albeit what I call a “recovering lawyer”) and B) I'm a rules wonk to a probably-unhealthy degree, or at least was when I still collected. Come and join us!

One thing I should point out: this game is not like Magic: the Gathering. Sure, there are some team builds that work very well, but the game is played at varying point levels and in either Modern Age (the equivalent of what Magic would call "Standard", where sets past a certain point are retired and there are no bystander tokens, special object tokens, feats, or battlefield conditions allowed) or Golden Age, where anything goes except the ships of Star Trek: Tactics (for some reason). While there's certainly a metagame for WK-run tournaments and Realms Open Championship (ROC), there really is no standard killer build. It all depends on what your venue plays in a given week, plus the release schedule means the metagame can change significantly every few months. If all they do is 300 Modern, though, expect some power player to roll in with a team of little besides chases, primes, and convention exclusive (ConEx) figures. I tell you first-hand that running organized play like this can kill a venue because it killed two venues where I live due to a Worlds-class player who couldn't turn himself down to not crush everyone besides the guy who trained him.

Also, the Units section of HCRealms lets you search characters and build teams. It's quite useful, though the forums there can often be a shrieking den of high idiocy.

As some notes on play etiquette, first, please mark your characters with their action tokens on the map instead of on their cards. First, the rulebook says you're supposed to. Second, when you mark on cards but your opponent is looking at the figures and not the cards (I know the cards don't figure into my battlefield strategy) it's a bit misleading. Maybe it's just me, but marking on the map is just proper. Our venue had about 5 or 6 people who all started playing during Fear Itself who do this and it drove me up the wall.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

This post is for supplemental information.

Here are useful links. Really important stuff is marked with :spidey:

These are errata to bring older elements into the 2017 rules language, which is when a lot of phrasing changed. They should more or less apply to the 2021 language as well.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 12, 2021

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Thanks for the assistance on upcoming product. In case nobody noticed in the second post, they released the documents yesterday setting for the errata to existing Modern Age game elements to make them work with the new rules. Everything's up on the Rules page under Additional Rules Resources..

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

We're not even doing a regular game tomorrow night. We've instead blocked it off as a rules clinic. We're going over all the changes, like the DDM going away and the fact that you can now use both a resource and special objects (a mistake, if you ask me) along with all the other things that would go unnoticed on a casual glance.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Yesterday prior to our rules clinic one of the judges made me a Hell of a deal. He'd bought at least one case and he basically sold me everything extra in the one he got— super boosters included— for $40. Thanks to coming into some money we'd thought we weren't going to get I had the $40 to spare so I have Thunderstrike, prime Skurge, Surtur, Groot, and pretty much everything else I wanted out of the set besides Bill and I guess Volstagg. I know he kept back SR Hulk, but I think that was actually it. I realized that I need to run some Valkyries at some point and equip one of them (generic or otherwise) with The Helmet of Fate for Team Spear and Magic Helmet. While trying to think of what possibilities this opened for a 1,000-point GOlden Age game later this month, I realized I could run a 1,000-point team of entirely Lokis. I do believe I have to do this.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

That and trying to gauge the impact Thor will make. I expect a metric fuckton of Mangog and Equipment abuses. One mean equipment trick I've heard of is Mistress Death and Mjolnir to drop death tokens at 10 range.

Oh, mark my words, you'll likely see a shitload of Mangog on his cheap click waiting to be able to bamf into the opposoing starting area and then draw the sword, going up to 150 and thus being able to attack smaller characters because he doesn't have Colossal Indifference anymore. I don't think any of the TMT primes will tear up the scene, but I wouldn't be surprised if you see at least one team of Odin the Destroyer and FF Jean Grey so she can fling him out, he moves, and then uses Incalculable Might to wreck face with Pulse Wave and then finish off the big threat with his second attack, now at full damage thanks to the lack of the DDM. I can also see a Tyrannus team making a showing, using his Tyrannoids to tie up opposing characters for a giant or colossal to be able to see over them and attack— it wouldn't do well, but I can see someone at least trying it. Who in Modern has an effect that keys off critical hits and is already at least halfway decent? That character will make a showing equipped with Jarnbjorn, which changes the chance of a critical hit from 1 in 36 to— assuming my math is right— 1 in 9. That's astounding. Carnage will probably also make a showing on his cheap click.

Oh, and when planning for a 1,000-point Golden Age game next weekend, I considered playing GG Galactus at 600 so I could have a Herald and realizd I could use Surtur. I thought that was funny, but not funny enough to discard my idea of Team Loki, probably with the Star Sapphire Battery and everyone getting the Camouflage feat.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

How married are you to Detective? How about Police?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

thebardyspoon posted:

the Female Furies, […] some long unmade Suicide Squad regulars

Oh, goddammityfuck. Just when I have absolutely no spare money. At least I doubt they'll make any of the Suicide Squad or Female Furies chases because they're not popular enough.

Speaking of dick moves teams, though, one venue in my town's lost pretty much its entire player base except for two players who are competitive caliber and play teams to reflect that. The one I go to has lost most of its player base and I think it's for the same reason as the other one: people are tired of facing meta-level bullshit that's going to stomp their asses if they don't have the right chases and ConExes. One guy flat-out quit the game because he was trying to play at that level and keep up with everything, but it made it so the game wasn't fun for him anymore. When we were preparing for ROC states— which was pretty much two months where half the games were 300 Modern— I was just shy of throwing my hands up and taking a break until after states. One of the players I mentioned actually won both Nebraska and South Dakota's ROC state events. Have any of the rest of you noticed this happening at your venues, or is that a localized thing? I know part of a general decline in player base was lack of new players due to the horribly complex pre-2017 rules, but I wonder how much of it is also the fact that they're making it so you have to play teams that cost well into three figures if you want to have a shot at winning as long as even one other person does that.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Steve Vader posted:

Anybody interested in the Colossal Spectre? I'm thinking about selling mine because yay money auto repairs etc. All the Angry Spirit tokens, the instructions, and the box is still with it - although the box is a bit dinged up.

I'd take him up on it, guys. That thing is top-quality shelf porn, plus it's amazing in Golden in a high-point game. We had a 2,000-pointer some time back where a guy ran Avengers TB, Exodia, and some other powerful figures. I wiped the floor with the guy in the third round. I think he took a single dial down. His second-round opponent asked me how I beat him. I responded, "I played The Spectre." All of those old-school colossals are astoundingly good figures.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Next week is 1,000 Golden again and this time I'm looking to do something fun again, like a couple weeks ago when I ran 1,000 points of Loki. My goal this time is to do things people at this venue probably haven't seen before and that I may not have done before. I have 4 goals:
  1. Trick Shot + Mind Control— I don't think I've ever actually done it despite wanting to and Mind Control is better now
  2. Capture
  3. Possession via JL#035 Deadman and/or CR#007 Jericho— I'm pretty sure I've never actually used either of these characters in a tournament
  4. Use primarily characters I've either never used or haven't used in a very, very long time
Here's the team I've got so far. Splitlip is the only one I've used to my recollection aside from the Sentinel, and I don't think I've ever used it at full points. It's my Capture engine and I realized that with Angrir's Hammer and Automatic Regeneration it could potentially become kind of scary. Cloak and Dagger get a Running Shot hammer, probably Greithoth's so they can ignore hindering to take advantage of their Stealth and have better LOF for when they get knocked onto their penetrating EE. Jericho and Deadman probably get Charge hammers so they can get Toughness. Apocalypse becomes my Trick Shot/Mind Controller after a push, probably getting Nul's Hammer so he gets Willpower and doesn't have to piss with his Psionic Power that only half-asses it and the AutoRegen helps his survivability. After everyone can get two, he might get Mokk's just so Trick Shot becomes permanent for him. The Mind Control and Possession can set things up for characters to get adjacent to the Sentinel so it can Capture because you can't do that during Multiattack. The team may not win, but it does at least stand a chance because I guarantee you the shark player (Lucvas VanHolland, who got into Top 32 at ROC Cup recently) hasn't actually faced Capture before. I'm just out to do fun things because I've basically said "gently caress it, if I win I win, if not, meh" since Wizkids started designing around creating a meta scene.
pre:
CR007	Jericho		126
JL035	Deadman		119
MU059	Apocalypse	250
↑ FEAT	Trick Shot	20
↑ FEAT	Automatic	12
	Regeneration
SI039	Cloak and	109
	Dagger
FI301	Splitlip	20
ICS01	Sentinel Mark	300
	VII
↑ FEAT	Automatic	12
	Regeneration
FIR100	The Book of the	30
	Skull (8 hammers)
B006	Lian Harper x2	2
---------------------------
		Total: 1,000
Edit: One thought is to maybe replace Cloak & Dagger with WXM#102 Nightcrawler and give him the Bladed Hammer for increased crit range, but C&D would give some added carrying ability.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 12, 2017

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Steve Vader posted:

Sad I did not pull Jeannette. At least I got a Kite-Man!

Hell yeah.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

Overall sculpts look good, paint jobs are hit or miss (Batgod was gorgeous) lots of broken figures in boosters though. Like a worrisome amount.

How is it compared to WXM?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Next week is 300 Golden, characters and standard objects only, plus it's Bizarro format. Were it higher-point I would use The Flashes and a bunch of Poison figures, but even then this should be fun. I'm considering Atom Smasher with his Flurry/11AV/3DV last click now that he can be TKed. I can't believe they've never properly remade him.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

That Flashpoint Superman from Flash is a king of bizarro format.

Oh, man, you're right. I'll have to see if I have it. Otherwise I'm looking at Recorder #451 and an Iron Man, probably with a Paramedic to heal Recorder #451 so it can give Iron Man one or more extra boosts, though a third would only help damage.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't work with models or anything too often, is there a glue that's going to work best on Clix? I had this one type that worked fine back in the day, fixed a Crisis Black Adam that came broken at the ankle solidly and he's still fine today but on modern figures it doesn't seem to work as well and they seem to be coming broken more and more often, usually at the spindliest, most pain in the rear end place to apply glue and hold it.

I use Loctite myself.

Steve Vader posted:

And the OP Kit LE is the "I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!" version of Kirk.

Wait, do you mean Kirk from that episode where the woman did a mind swap with him because she wanted to be taken seriously?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Thanks for the store rundown, I'll keep those in mind for the future.

Last question for now: what's the best site for referencing single figure prices and/or browsing a figure selection?

Troll & Toad and Strike Zone are both fairly decent (last I looked, anyway) and both have presences on eBay that can sometimes make shipping costs worth it when it comes to savings on the figures themselves (or maybe the other way around).

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

For maps, players bring maps with them, and the venue likely has a collection of maps that anyone can use, and also players are generally very good about lending maps out to one another if you have one they want to use and you're not using it this round. Before each round, you and your opponent roll off, with the high roller going first and getting to choose map. Theme teams give a bonus to this roll.

I have to make a nitpick here. The high roller gets to choose if he wants to be Player 1 and do the above or be Player 2 and choose his starting area. Sometimes doing this can be advantageous because of first-turn immunity. Usually, though, the high roller will indeed be Player 1.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 23, 2017

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

What does everyone keep their figures in? Doesn't seem to be as tidy a solution as deckboxes.

What does everyone keep their figures in? Doesn't seem to be as tidy a solution as deckboxes.

I use the Plano Deep Stowaway Model 3730. I have even more now. I usually get it at Menards but their website doesn't seem to have it anymore, which makes me a mite nervous I will add that Menards carries a box that has 24 smaller boxes in with SKU #245-2705. The smaller boxes are the perfect size for keeping terrain markers and object tokens in along with other small odds and ends, like small-based attachable elements (i.e., the Riddler's Clue).

Steve Vader posted:

I bought a bunch of 3-ring binders for my character cards, but I'm second-guessing that decision. I'm thinking deckboxes - longer ones - might be a better option just because the binders are so unwieldy.

I actually use a two-drawer card file box (probably originally from a library) for my cards. That way I can put in alphabetical dividers— and boy, howdy do I need them.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

tragedyjones posted:

The Plano 3730 is legit. I am lucky enough that my fiance lets me have an entire closet in our place, and it is still overflowing with stuff. You will collect a lot of plastic heroes in 15 years!

The below image is from 9 months ago. I got a couple more since then. I have a total of 54 of these wonderboxes. I separate my figures my team symbol—or some other closely cognizable relation, like Stark Industries or teamless Ultrons— and absent an affiliation I alphabetize them. I have two 3730s just for teamless generics and one for War of Light constructs and rings.

Steve Vader posted:

I still have the cards separated out by set, but in alphabetical order. Some part of me just wants to do complete alphabetizing of every drat card I have all together. Maybe that'd be easier. Do you have a link to the model of file box you use?

I wish I could get another one. The one I have is very nearly full. I think I got mine at a thrift shop. I need a second one just like it. It's metal and has two drawers side-by-side and has a slot in the top front, presumably to stack another like it on top.

I have to swing by bass pro shop this week anyway so I'll look for that box. Between that and my magic bag that's a lot of poo poo to take to the shop.
You could throw both sets of stuff in one of these. It's what I carry my weekly build, accessories, and all of my maps in. Yes, I carry all of my maps with me every week. With almost every map dating back to 2005 (when they started doing color-coding for terrain types) in it, that fucker is heavy, making it a good thing I drive a RAV4. An additional benefit is that unlike the cardboard box I used to use it protects them from moisture.

quote:

How do you guys look at team composition? I'm too new to be able to evaluate if a figure is good or not. Do you make sure you have someone with outwit and perplex, always have a support or tank, etc.? I'm looking at some Asguardians to make a team out of and want to make sure it's well balanced to compete with.
There used to be a principle referred to as STOPP, which stands for Support, Telekinesis, Outwit, Perplex, and Probability Control. It was generally considered essential to have at least three of these on your team. They're still really important except perhaps Support because it's nowhere near as potent of healing as it used to be. Outwit lets you shut off a power on an opposing character, Perplex can modify combat values on either your or their figures, Telekinesis lets you reposition your figures (or theirs with a successful attack roll), and Probability Control (a.k.a. Prob) lets you either force your opponent to succeed at a breakaway or attack roll a second time or give you a second chance to do so. One general consideration is how well your figures' powers and other abilities complement each other. I'd elaborate more on that but I'm getting kind of tired tonight so my head's getting a little fuzzy.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

Some folks use trays (all sorts of dealers make these):

(buy 'em at: http://www.herotrays.com/, or visit Etsy)

I actually have a printable design for these, though I need to rework the prototype a bit. It turns out you need to turn the number of points on the circles WAY up to have usable base-holding cavities!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

TAKE THE loving UTILITY BELT OFF OF DARKSEID YOU MOTHERFUCKER

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES HIS ASSHOLERY!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Tonight was 300 Golden. I figured since this was MLK Day weekend, I'd play a team entirely of black heroes. I ran AoU Black Panther, OP kit Falcon, and CACW War Machine plus the Knobbed Mace for Panther. We only had four people so we only did two rounds. First round I went against Bombshell Zatanna and DKR Superman on the Yu-Gi-Oh Toon World map. I won handily due to careful positioning and then baiting (with War Machine, who hit Impervious twice), followed by Outwit from Black Panther on Superman after War Machine KOed Zatanna to get rid of her Prob. Second round was against Lt. Kyle, Nurse Chapel,. Lt. Sulu, (initially) two Tribbles, and two Hortas. This was on the Underground Caverns map, which again meant Panther was in his element. This was harder-fought with Falcon and War Machine going down after I KOed his Lt. Kyle, but after Outwits from Panther helping get one Horta KOed and Falcon Flurrying two Tribbles I ended up KOing the second Horta to come out ahead on points. We overcame and I got Colossus for my efforts.

Next week is 1,000 Golden and the week after is 1,500 Golden. For the latter I'm thinking about running Galactus at 900 and bringing some of his Heralds. I don't know. At this point I'm just trying to bring whatever wacky bullshit I can come up with, mainly to use figures I've never used before or pull off a trick I've never pulled off before.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

1,500 is enough points to do Apokolips right. Provided you have the core team and enough parademons.

Darkseid help me, I do not. They keep making the damned things SRs and chases and I haven't gotten any HQGG because I'm too damned broke. The best Darkseid I have is either SLOSH or Crisis. I'm considering Legion of Doom so I can use All My Teammates Are Useless with the purple and green Skull Ship, but I'm looking at other possibilities. I also considered Galactus at 600 and several of his Heralds with IC V Firelord as the free Herald, but I'd probably get my rear end handed to me. That's my secondary goal these days: give a good account of myself while at the same time pulling off wacky bullshit.

For the 1,000-point game I'm looking at a Politician team because the Presidential inauguration sometimes falls on January 20th. That'll let me trot out the DC10 Lex Luthor + GCPD trick. However, the only qualifying Commissioner Gordon I have is the Joker's Wild version and I don't think anyone else has Politician, Gotham City, and Police, so that idea would likely deflate pretty quickly absent a backup trick. I'm also considering Avengers again, this time to let me use the full lineup of AOU Hank Pym Morphs (absent the collector's set because gently caress paying $50 for that thing).

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I organize my cards purely alphabetically. For the same name, I organize within that by set. Within a set, I then organize by collector's number. I just have some alphabetical divider inserts for mine, but then again I do use an actual card file box that I need to get another of.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

This coming weekend is 1,500 Golden with no special restrictions. I'd thought of running the Legion of Doom, Galactus and some Heralds, or some other thing, but I think I've come up with an even better idea: Hulks.
pre:
TMT056	Maestro		250
  +	Bloodaxe
  +	Enchanted Crowbar
  +	Thunderstrike
AOU019	Hulk		80
AAOU008	Hulk		300
AVM202	Hulk		255
MU062	Rampaging Hulk	128
MU102	Incredible Hulk	113
SFSMS101 Symbiote	6
FEAT	Fortitude x6	150
FEAT	Repulsor	150
	Shield x6
ATA	Mighty Avengers	12
	x4
WOLR208	Black Battery	2
	Black Ring	6
	Decoy		6
	Stop Sign	8
	Wall		10
	Mallet		4
	Boxing Glove	8
	Scissors	8
---------------------------
		Total:	1500
Everybody gets Fortitude and Repulsor Shield— even AOU Hulk, because otherwise, I've got to fill that point hole (and I didn't get the TMT starter) and throwing any more Hulks in risks breaking the Brute theme I need to try to get an edge on map roll so I can stay indoors. That way I shut down Outwit, Exploit Weakness, Psychic Blast, Ranged Combat Expert, and (for whatever it matters) Force Blast. Maestro brings some toys for the ring-slinging Hulks to play with, getting the Bloodaxe himself with his Flurry and doling out the Enchanted Crowbar to one of the movie Hulks and Thunderstrike to the other or maybe Rampaging Hulk so he can stay as close as possible to top-dial to keep churning out objects for his other selves to use. Somebody gets the Symbiote because why not? Maybe it's AOU Hulk to make him harder to get rid of because otherwise his presence frustrates opposing attacks a bit. Thinking it over, though, maybe Rampaging Hulk should get the Bloodaxe because he's able to make better use of it in terms of both damage increase and Steal Energy use. I'd probably give him the Symbiote too.

As for Constructs, I'd give the Mallet to AAOU Hulk as he's a giant who can Charge. The other would probably get the Boxing Glove. Maestro probably gets the Decoy because he's a whole mess o' mean-mad and that should help keep him healthier longer. I'd give the Wall to someone I'd have a movie Hulk tote around so they can pop Barrier to shield them from fire (particularly Pulse Wave) and give the rest out just because or after the Battery spins way up and I can double-assign. For map I'd probably go with Realm of Death so I can pick up equipment in peace while I also assign Constructs.

Is this a killer team? Probably not, especially if they can get off single-target Pulse Waves. However, it'd be drat fun.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

Anyone with "Hulk" in their name except for Hulkbusters, the Leader, Abomination, A-Bomb, Doc Samson, Mighty Thorr, and Wolverage. That's the list.

There's also arguably Skaar, though that's probably more purely genetic than from direct irradiation. Lyra's in the same boat.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

Hulkling is not a irradiated Hulk, I think.

This is true. He's a (half-?)Skrull.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Steve Vader posted:

Other thoughts: STOP click figs for "2 Legit 2 Quit."

Make it characters who have exactly two stop clicks. Alternately, if it's Golden you could do White Lanterns.

Tonight was 300 Modern. When it's 300 Modern I forget what fucks are much less how to give them because I know I'm going to see meta-rear end bullshit. I ran WI#002 Iron Man, WI#022 Dr. Stark, and TMT#018 Thor along with the Enchanted Crowbar because I thought the format was the XXS prerelease but that was last weekend. As such, I built a team in 5 minutes because I was going to get my rear end handed to me anyway. That happened. Next week is 800 Golden Age Limited. We've adopted the ROC format definitions, with limited meaning the following aren't allowed:
  • Resources
  • figures larger than a Peanut base
  • Constructs
  • Relics
  • ID Cards
  • Feats
  • BFCs
  • Event Dials
  • Special Terrain
  • characters equipped during force construction
I don't know what to run but because I've stopped giving nearly as many fucks as I used to generally regardless of format, I tend to run whatever wacky bullshit I think will amuse me, ideally with a good number of figures I haven't used before or at least haven't used in a long time. I'd considered running all the Iron Maiden figures, but they come to 850 so I'd have to drop the titular character and in so doing miss the point. I've thought of running a Gotham City team with three Bat-duos, only choosing to not use Batman and Green Arrow because I couldn't make a theme with it. I note that Limited doesn't outlaw ATAs or special objects.
pre:
BM100	Nightwing and Batgirl	176
SOG103	Batman and Nightwing	176
JL038	Batman and Robin	138
DKR021	Lt. Gordon		68
AA006	Gotham City Detective	27
AN049	Green Lantern		145
ATA	GCPD			8
8 points of something for filler
Sideline: a shitload of Split options, including DKR#100 Batman
Alan would nerf opposing Stealth in the absence of much able to grant Improved Targeting, so between him and the Gotham City Detectives I could theoretically have a pretty strong (if relatively short) ranged game. I think whatever I do, if I don't fill up on equipment I'll use the old-school special object tokens, particularly the Laser Turret because that one was always fun.

For the 1,800-point Golden Age Limited the week after, that's an even better question. I'm entertaining an Asgardian team with Avengers Prime. Beyond that, I don't know. I could try again to run Hulks but I know that with Outwit and range I'd go down faster than a stereotypical prom date. Here's what I've come up with for Asgardians. If I do this I'll have to think about Split options for AP.
pre:
CW060	Avengers Prime	400
FI012	Heimdall	169
FI005	Valkyrie	130
AVM022	Destroyer	250
TMT059	Fandral		60
w/Dueling Sword
TMT031	Hogun		90
w/Knobbed Mace
TMT029A	Executioner	120
w/Bloodaxe
TMT062	Thunderstrike	115
TMT009	Valkyrie	45
TMT009	Valkyrie	45
TMT009	Valkyrie	45
HA033	Sif		93
TDW013	Loki		150
ATA	By Odin's Beard	70
18 points of I don't even know what

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I just thought of a gloriously insane idea for the 1,800-pointer. Last night I started thinking of 1,800 points of Superman. On my drive to work I realized that the Superman Ally TA now gives Improved Targeting: Hindering instead of mimicking it. I'd have to lose out on a Kryptonian theme, but then I'd get to use V Icons Superman (maybe even two!) if I use DP#056 Kingpin to give any of them who use ranged HSS from next to him Precision Strike, Sharpshooter, and RCE. I'm sure I'd get my rear end handed to me, but damned if that team wouldn't hit like a truck before it got Outwitted to death.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

Great Eagle is a giant who doesn't count against theme.

You mentioning Great Eagle made me realize the perfect taxi for my team tonight. I realized that being President's Day weekend, I could run a Politician theme. This will also let me use the trick that you can only pull off that way of using DC10 "Boom Tube Sneak Attack" Lex Luthor and the GCPD ATA, which fulfills my "wacky bullshit" goal of playing these days. This is 800 Golden Age Limited, using ROC's "Limited" format, meaning nothing above a peanut base and basically no non-character elements except for non-relic special objects and ATAs.
pre:
SOG022	Harvey Dent	93
D10A020	Lex Luthor	160
JW007	Commissioner	30
	Gordon
SMWW028	General Lane	40
BM045	Black Lightning	87
SM025	Matter-Eater	35
	Lad
WXM035	Black King	165
DOFP008	Senator Robert	42
	Kelly
HBTBFA008 Great Eagle	70
SI035	Howard the Duck	35
FFJW004	The Penguin	25
TMTS019	Bladed Hammer	4
TMTS005	Enchanted	10
	Crowbar
CDS004	Laser Turret	0
----------------------------
		Total:	800
Harvey Dent is a waste of points but for A) his generous helping of Outwit and B) redundancy for GCPD so they don't have to just nuke Gordon to take away my rear end in a top hat trick. For those who don't remember how it works, Boom Tube Sneak Attack lets Lex phase and if he moves half his Speed value or less he gets a ranged combat action as a free action, so he gets to teleport and PsyBlast for free every turn if he wildcards GCPD and doesn't take any tokens. He'll get the Bladed Hammer early so he can clear and then wreck house with BTSE. Howard the Duck is cheap Leadership to pull tokens and Penguin is mostly filler but can give Lex a needed boost with the Loyalty token. Senator Kelly can let me hose PC/Quintessence in part. Matter-Eater Lad is a cheap taxi who can take chunks out of the opposition or just wildcard PD to help attacks. Black Lightning lets me shut down modifiers. General Lane gives Superman Enemy to anyone he's adjacent to, which means he gets to ride the Great Eagle who as mentioned is for A) :911: and B) multi-taxi so I'll have a few Outwitters bombing around the field. Black King's a beatstick who'll get the Enchanted Crowbar. The Laser Turret is in there for kicks. I want to have my fantasy bird shoot somebody with a laser turret.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

ATAs only apply to figures with that keyword, though.

Yes, but you can copy GCPD via wildcard. The team did O.K. We played on a Civil War map in a battle royale because there were only three of us. The judge put out four leftover con LEs (Alejandra Ghost Rider, Dr. Nemesis, Gotham by Gaslight Batman, and Doop) and said first could pick two and the other two got one each. True to form, the guy who always plays OP kit Dormammu, OP kit Dr. Strange, Tiamat, and Mr. Mxyzptlk did so, adding R Destiny for extra prob because due to format limitations he couldn't use Splitlip and the Book of the Skull, which is what he always does in normal Golden Age. He says it's hard to build an effective team because it's hard for him to learn the strategies, so he runs what he understands how to use. He won because my dice were cold and the other guy's (running an X-Men theme) weren't a lot better. I at least came in second and got Alejandra, plus I fulfilled my goal of having the Great Eagle blast someone with the Laser Turret, KOing an X-Student! Between Mr. Always-runs-the-same-bullshit and the jank crew it's about the moral victories for me these days, so I got that.

Next week for the same format but at 1,800 points (action total of 8), I think instead of the teams I thought of where I'd run either all Superman (with the Kryptonian keyword) using the Red Sun Sons ATA to protect their defenses from Outwit or a shitload of versions of Superman with DP#059 Kingpin— who because they changed the Superman Ally TA to actually give IT: Hindering would beef them up obscenely— I may run a Mystical theme and run the three Trinity of Sin characters to shut down his Prob. Limited bans Felix Faust, so I can't use him if I do. Maybe something like this? I'd be using some of his own bullshit against him while keeping him from being able to use his Prob without having to take tokens for it, plus I'd finally get to use Malekith.
pre:
WK#D-006	Pandora		100
WK#D-007	Phantom		200
		Stranger
WK#D-008	Question	100
YGO2#018	Dark Magician	140
		Girl
IM#006		Powerslave	175
SF#017		Dhalsim	90
WK#M15-010	Dormammu	300
WK#M15-011	Dr. Strange	150
TDW#004		Malekith	350
AN#049		Green Lantern	145
FI#003		Monkey King	45
TMT#S019	Bladed Hammer	4

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Man. It's never a good time to be broke as poo poo, but this entire year is an even worse time HeroClix-buying-wise. Who's the colossal cave-hobo?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Has there ever been a ruling on when the Mxyzptlk (and I guess by extension Trelane) die result replacement happens? Can you still Prob after it or does it happen after the roll result has finally been determined? For example, I hit with a 1 and 6. My opponent decides to replace the 6 with a 1. Can I then Prob the roll so it's not snake eyes, or can he only do that once the roll is otherwise finalized? I tried asking Wizkids but like many questions they've completely ignored it.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

All right, I think I've come up with a better team to beat Mr. Low-effort. I mainly want to hand him his rear end for always playing the same thing while making it plain to him as he sees what I use that it makes him easy to beat if someone tries so that he'll MAYBE try something different. I mean, he's the only other guy I can count on to show anymore and it's getting boring always facing OP kit Dormammu, OP kit Doctor Strange, Tiamat, Mr. Mxyzptlk, and whatever else the format will allow (usually Splitlip and the Book). To that end, I've built this Avengers team that'll maybe beat the poo poo out of his key support pieces while I pound on his tentpoles with Avengers Prime. The only parts of it I'm unsure about are 185-point Chaos War brick Vision— on because of his +2 Defense against characters with the Armor keyword (read: Tiamat) even if only for the front half of his dial— and Doctor Strange, whose points I can't help but think I could make better use of. Strange gives good Prob, sure, but I'd think I could get some cheaper support and throw in SI Iron Fist, who I think could devastate with the Bloodaxe. The Ant-Man is there so I can make Avengers Prime a giant when it has no action tokens so I can surprise Trio Attack a motherfucker he thinks he's hidden. I only have two Leadership characters (Falcon and Namor) who can pull tokens from them, which is some of the extra support I'd think I could use so if I get lucky enough I can keep Trio Attacking multiple turns in a row.

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone can make. I almost completely missed ADW but for the Fast Forces (I do have main set Jessica Jones) but I did manage to get a good amount of The Mighty Thor, including the Thunderstrike I've got in the build. Again, the format is 1,800-point Golden Age Limited (Action Total of 8), with no figures bigger than peanut-based and no non-character elements except ATAs and non-relic special objects.
pre:
CW060	Avengers Prime	400
TMT062	Thunderstrike	115
WKM15-011 Doctor	150
	Strange
AOU003	Ant-Man*	100
AVAS040	Sandman		140
DP202	Daredevil	100
AVX008	Professor X	150
SW022	Sharon Carter	45
CW100	Vision		185
ASM008	Doctor Druid	104
FFCW006	Scarlet Witch	75
SI045	Namor		150
SN018	Mockingbird	34
WKM17-007 Falcon	50
----------------------------
		Total:	1798
		Theme: Avengers

*and appropriate replacements

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Last night was the 1,800-point event, but we only did one round with two individual matches. Mine played for the Wolverine and X-23 duo and the other played for Cosmic Spider-Man. I didn't actually play the guy who I expected to, but I did play in what I'm sure was a much more fun game than it would have been to play against OP Dormammu, OP Doctor Strange, Tiamat, Destiny, V Johnny, Alpha, and seven GSX Mindless Ones. That would have been over pretty fast, I think, even with taking Mystics sting from the Mindless Ones. I'll give a big thanks to Morand for his assistance in building. My build was as follows, although I forgot Professor X on the shelf at home so I decided to use the Secret Avengers ATA to fill points, I could have put Ant-Man up to full, but I forgot to do that before the start of the match. Whoops!
pre:
CW#060	Avengers Prime	400
TMT#062	Thunderstrike	115
AVX#008	Professor X	150
CW#022	Sharon Carter	45
SI#045	Namor		150
SN#018	Mockingbird	34
WK#M17-007 Falcon	50
AVX#006e Scarlet Witch	100
AOU#003r Ant-Man	50
CW#010	Donald Blake	33
SI#033	Dr. Strange	149
AAOU#008 Hulk		300
ADW#038	Jessica Jones	15
AOU#045	Black Panther	140
ADW#006	Vision		50
TMT#S001 Bloodaxe	10
TMT#S019 Bladed Hammer	4
IC#S002	Office Desk	0
My opponent ran DKR Superman, con LE Doomsday, two Bat-Knights, Bombshell Zatanna, Darwin, Trinity War Batman, chase Hawkeye, NFAOS Hulk, chase Daredevil, Pirate Deadpool, Green Lantern: God of Light, title character Thor, and Old Man Logan with a couple Hand Ninjas on the sideline for Daredevil to call in. I automatically won map roll so I went on Black Mercy (for Sharon's Stealth-granting) and moved everyone up just enough to bring him out after calling No More Batman Ally with him failing all three rolls. I'd carried Namor up with Black Panther by having Ant-Man make him tiny. I copied SHIELD with my wildcards, which I declared Marvel Knights as. He moved GL:GoL out to bust Stealth and then had Thor HSS Namor. He missed after a Prob, having to stay there because he'd overextended himself. He moved everyone else out and it went over to me.

I had Hulk Charge on Superman and knock him down off Invincible. He chose to give Hulk and Anger token. I had Namor Charge GL and knock him down a bit with his first Flurry attack, then he hit Thor off Invincible with the second attack. I moved more people up and rested. He then whaled on Hulk with Superman, Zatanna, his own Hulk, and I think a Bat-Knight, so Hulk got four more tokens. I didn't like him having PsyBlast or Batman's bag of tricks, so with the help of the SHIELD TA I triple-Perplexed Avengers Prime's damage and Trio Attacked Thor, Batman, and Zatanna into oblivion. The back-and-forth included these highlights, with me using Dr. Strange for pretty much double-shot Incap duty, primarily on Doomsday but also on Superman when he was still up:
  • Hawkeye kept plinking people until he finally missed his fourth attack.
  • Hulk removed all six Anger token when using Regeneration and rolled a four, so he healed five clicks.
  • Namor Charged in to Flurry Superman and missed once but hit the second time, knocking him onto Toughness. Thunderstrike followed up to polish him off.
  • I made a couple more Duo Attacks with AP to finish off a Bat-Knight and GL:GoL once and Hawkeye and his Impervious-outwitted Hulk on the next.
  • Thunderstrike critted the Stormbreaker-equipped Pirate Deadpool. Every hit I made with Thunderstrike where the Force Blast would have mattered for him healing was doubles anyway.
  • I kept whittling Doomsday down with Black Panther who just couldn't miss. Once BP was rolling against a 22 Defense after the Adapted tokens he'd amassed and I rolled an 11.
  • Falcon ended up taking over Doomsday duty and I had him on his last couple clicks.
  • Falcon KOed Daredevil— who'd pushed— by critting him into blocking, which was exactly enough to do him in.
  • He attacked critically-wounded Black Panther with Daredevil, who had Precision Strike. I needed a 6 to evade and got it.
He saw the writing on the wall when Doomsday was on his last click and Strange hit him with Incap, so he just placed Doomsday next to AP, who finished him off the next turn. I ended the game by using Trio Attack on the sad, lone Hand Ninja. That was pretty fun. My dice were absolutely on fire and his were only average, but it was a good game where I really got to let loose. We agreed that the Damage Depletion Modifier should have remained A Thing™ with Avengers Prime being able to deal such insane amounts of damage in one turn.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Sanschel posted:

I was tempted to check out ours but it was constructed and I've lost my taste for 300 Modern. If it was sealed I'd have been there in a heartbeat. I saw Thor Odinson/Sam Cap with a X-Men Teleported won one and a Weird team won another, I appreciate the wide variety of teams performing well this year.

I know what you mean about losing your taste for 300 Modern. That's what pretty much killed our venue. Three of us were talking this weekend and we're the only ones who can show up semi-reliably. Most everyone else has quit except for the two competitive-class players and the one of them who went HAM every week killed the other venue in town. With ours, two months where half the events were 300 Modern preparing for ROC States showed the people who decided they wanted to be competitive that they couldn't hang in the face of the other two guys and the casual players threw up their hands in the face of the Pym tank and other assorted jank. One would-be competitive player even quit, saying "It's just not fun anymore." Would you guys say that Wizkids is now designing sets around competitive play rather than designing them to be enjoyable all-around, where they now center on the mechanics of what's coming out rather than the characters themselves? I think that's a lot of what's killed off attendance— it's all about the next broken-rear end thing.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 6, 2018

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

I think your venues are. If you're sick of 300 Modern I don't blame you, but the solution is really easy: don't play 300 Modern. Do something else. 500 Golden Age, and at least one character has to be a cowboy. There, you can have that for free.

Certainly. Now that our venue isn't selling enough Clix to order enough product to get OP kits, I think we're going to be running a lot more casually and I think the head Judge will be open to more different formats. For example, I suggested Class Warfare, where your entire force has to be all one rarity, with starter/Fast Forces/other non-blind buy figures considered a "fixed" rarity, maybe giving a +1 to Attack value for each step in rarity difference between the attacker and the target. I also suggested We're All In This Together, where your force has to have at least four characters and each must be of a different rarity. I have no idea if he'll bite, though, because I don't think he likes running anything that isn't [POINTS] [AGE]. The other one, though, is more open to running wacky poo poo. I need to think of more things that are just out there so that if some of us get together to play casually— and maybe attract people back to the game because we're not using jank—we can just go nuts with whatever like I decided to do after I saw our attendance circling the drain.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Torrent posted:

Ooh, Class Warfare! That's a card in my Joker's Wild deck. As you say, +1 attack for every step in rarity difference, and then shifting over to damage bonuses if you max out the attack bonuses.

I've got no shortage of wacky bullshit scenarios, if you want ideas. This week is 1,000 points, at the beginning of the game, each player picks a friendly and an opposing character, and the chosen characters get random relics or equipment, and if they're KO'd, the character that KO'd them gets them (ignoring the '1 equipment per character' rule).

Man, lay all the ideas you've got on me. In fact, I should start have started a Google doc* for them. With Class Warfare, how do you handle the bonus for fixed-rarity characters?

*Anyone with the link can comment.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 6, 2018

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I'll ask the obvious question. What did Origins do that made WizKids decide to jump ship from that being their site for Worlds? I swear, they need dense metal boots because they seem to be unable to not shoot themselves in the foot these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Where is PAX Unplugged? Dollars to donuts they're trying to save on travel costs.