Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
It must be from a retailer-only link, but there IS another TMNT set coming:

quote:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles HeroClix: Unplugged features fan favorite characters in never-before-seen ways, including Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Donatello, Raphael, and TMNT villains like Shredder! As always, there will be can't miss UnClixed characters like General Traag and Lieutenant Granitor.

The TMNT HeroClix: Unplugged Gravity Feed features more than 30 characters from the rich history of the Turtles franchise, based on comics, the TV series, and more!

With an impulse-friendly price point, single figure foil packs are a great purchase for new and established players alike!

Edit: And there's a Thor: Ragnarok movie set coming, and X-Men: First Class.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/37928/x-men-first-class-registers-marvel-heroclix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

To add to the OP, what if we voted on the top 10 most meta pieces?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Torrent posted:

UND 017 Jacob Marley - kind of iffy on this one, but I see real potential here. Giving -2 attack, with a chance of dealing penetrating damage is pretty dang sweet for 35 points... he's like a diet Shredder.

Is there an easy way to give him Sidestep?

Morand posted:

It would probably get outdated pretty fast

Would it change that much?

If we did a rotating top 10, updated every... 3 months, we could keep a pretty good OP list going.

My votes:

- Jakeem
- Goblin King
- DKR Green Arrow
- Green Arrow JL ID Card
- Uni-Mind
- Mangog
- Claw Shredder
- Shiva Shredder
- Mini Shredder
- Shark Shredder

Red
Apr 15, 2003

What are the best Magneto pieces, and why?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I've always liked the AvX Magneto - he's just so expensive. The rule changes have probably helped that piece, with Invincible. Plus, the rule change for TK lets him move himself for free.

I like the DoFP Mags, but he just has nothing on defense to help.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Isn't Bizarro format the only format that makes IIM Juggernaut useful?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

No, it's from the episode where a transporter accident split Kirk into his logical yet emotionless and indecisive self and his insane rapey id given form.

Also, I've got a Gorn broken at the elbows. hopefully having two spots to glue it will work better than the spindly bits where they often break. Not even gonna try to glue my busted lantern Harley back together.

Send that poo poo in to http://win.wizkids.com/wrs_index.php. Gorn is eligible to be replaced.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

Huh. Haven't tried to return anything since the old days, when I got a Calypso fig on a Rupert dial and managed to score the super-duper-ultra rare LE of the Mole Man. Maybe I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

EDIT: Wait a minute, what's this rule? "Figures will be replaced with a figure from the same set with the same rarity. If no such figure is available, a replacement of the same rarity from the next set for that brand (Marvel, DC, etc.) will be used instead."

So I send these broken ones in, and they send me random SRs instead of replacements for the broken ones?

I think it's their legal way out of saying 'we're out of that one, here's another at the same rarity'.

I just replaced the Green Lantern of Gotham - I sent in the broken one (with card) and got a new one a few weeks later. I would imagine the 'get a different one at the same rarity' thing applies to older sets, as those stockpiles probably decrease with time.

This is all conjecture, but for Gorn, I think you'd be safe sending it in for a replacement.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I re-evaluated based on everyone advice and put myself at a full 300. Eric Masterson is a really cool thing I'll probably use later. Going to rock lady Thor, Enchantress, and 120 point Loki from Avengers Assemble. Loki and Enchantress give lots of support with their abilities and I really like the combination of Loki and Enchantress using mind control with Enchantress also freely moving units around, and they both have normal support abilities.

I wasn't yet aware of bystanders, so that's neat.

For the initial roll to determine first play, does everyone on my team have to share a keyword to get a bonus? Or if just 2 do, will I still get +2?

Sorry to constantly ask questions here but this thread isn't super active anyway and that HCrealms site is hotass garbage with invasive pop ups. You guys have been very helpful.

Please post away! More life in this thread is a good thing. I'd also like to share pictures of storage options, if you're still interested.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Here's another question: what opening placement/movement strategies do you guys follow?

1. This:

Morand posted:

A good concept to think of during games is “swing”. Swing is basically the amount of squares a figure can effectively attack in. For example a piece with 8 range and running shot with a speed of 8 has a swing of 12 since they can move 4 and then shoot you. This is important to know because if you end a movement 13 squares away from them you know they can’t hurt you. Swing can be messed with though. TK has a min range of 6 and max of the figures printed range so it would bump that swing up to 18 or more. Perplexing up range etc.

Swing is really important to know because once you can understand it you can start to see what your opponent is doing and start dictating the tempo of the game yourself. You could deliberately put a bait piece in their swing and hit them harder if they go for it, or just be out their range, etc.

You should always be counting squares. Your opening placement shouldn't give your opponent an easy target.

2. Also make the map work for you. If you're on a map with tons of hindering, your opening placement should take advantage of it by using the available cover - but if you park someone in hindering who doesn't have great movement, you may have essentially stranded that piece for the next few turns. Remember that parking behind hindering terrain can be just as valuable as sitting in it.

3. Figures with Leadership don't really maximize their value if they're not trying to remove tokens from friendly characters.

4. If you have characters with Sidestep, Phasing/Teleport, and other improved means of moving and/or carrying, these figures should be part of your first- and second-turn plans.

5. If you're in a multi-player game, and you go first, remember first-turn immunity. If you throw everyone out there first, they're easy pickin's on a small map. Someone else can correct me, but it may be better to sit back and watch what everyone else does with a little protection.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Okay, so, here are a bunch of things every and any Heroclix player should do/think/see/have/watch/read:

- The Tabletop Teacher: He does amazing, high-quality videos about rules, new sets, and so on. Highly recommended: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWcWOXdf-CG6K1gTFgjNNxA/videos

- Married with Clix: Husband and wife team explain various things about the game and also review sets: https://www.youtube.com/user/MarriedWithClix/videos

- Dial H for Heroclix: Good, once-a-week podcast about Heroclix. This is more a fun show that talks about new sets and stuff. Follow 'em on Twitter and send them questions, if you'd like: http://dialhforheroclix.podbean.com/

- List of Team Abilities from Heroclix.com: Win.WizKids.com

Then buy these:

Tiny storage totes (little storage bins that're the size of a clix figure; good for all sorts of accessories):

Sterilite ID Storage Totes:

As others have said, Plano makes good little storage trays with dividers and such. I personally buy Flambeau tackle boxes, but they're pretty much the same. I carry the Flambeau and other stuff in one of these:

(buy it here: https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-174-stack-carry-tray-organizer-storage-tote-2-pc-clear-with-green-latch/-/A-14779290)

After that, buy some card protectors/sleeves and a Deck Box for the cards.

Some folks use trays (all sorts of dealers make these):

(buy 'em at: http://www.herotrays.com/, or visit Etsy)

I also use Sistema food containers from Target to hold kleenex-wrapped Chases, groups of commons, or other accessories:

Yes, I fit tons of junk into my carry tote, somehow.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

So Sunday is my goddamn favorite event of the year. 2018 points, 15 actions, anything goes. Winner gets to suggest an event the store will do.

Every year I do Apokolips and every year Andy's Blood Pressure rises a little higher. This year the Apokolips squad may have some big trouble because the Asgardians got a loving giant power boost with TMT and Beta Ray Bill is a giant pile of cocks disguised as a clix figure.

But I'll still play them because I loving love them. I have 2 builds open for critiques. Build 1 incorporates more of the female furies to give me additional outwit and some close combat. Build 2 is closer to my team last year but drops Supergirl and Desaad for 2 better attackers IMHO.

Apokolips Builds

Darkseid - 350
Utility Belt - 14 (Full)
Lydea Mallor
Brimstone - 20
Brutaal - 175
Steppenwolf - 135
Flash, God of Death - 125
Eclipso/Ion (Equipped to flash) - 25
Parademon (SMWW) x 4 - 180
Parademon (JLTW) x 9 - 450
Big Barda - 125 (HQ)
Granny Goodness - 125 (HQ)
Stompa - 80 (HQ)
Lashina - 75 (HQ)
Bernadeth - 50 (HQ) OR Mad Harriet - 50 (HQ)
Green Arrow - 5
Shield Level 7 - 5

2018 on the nose 24 dudes.

Build 2

SLOSH Darkseid at 350 with a full utility belt
Lydea Mallor
Brimstone at 20
HQ Big Barda
SMWW Bruutal
SMWW Steppenwolf
4 SMWW Parademons
10 TW 50 Point Generic Parademons
8 B&TB Parademon Grunts
Flash, God of Death - 125
Eclipso/Ion (equipped) - 25
Nightwing, Green Arrow, Level 7 ID cards

2007 - 29 dudes

Any thoughts on how to deal with Asgardians? Map choice doesn't gently caress them over. Placement is in their favor with BRB. I'm a bit stuck. Oh and for Flash the Eclipso/Ion thing, I'm trying to borrow Ion from Andy. Should he forget it Eclipso is in my bag as a backup. I really want to try the furies, but I feel like in this format as soon as Granny moves them up they'll get loving slaughtered but I need them for the close combat or I'll never get around BRB. An alternate idea is to go super heavy on the older parademons from B&TB who have charge. They'll die in the dozens sure, but they're cheap so who cares

A scenario like that seems like the perfect time to play Brimstone at full.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Get some Ultra Pro clear card storage boxes. Then you can see the first card's letter - and see that whole box is that letter.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

While we're talking Hulks, is there a way to identify any Marvel characters who could be considered gamma-irradiated? I wanted to do a gamma-themed game for a home scenario, but wanted something easier than a long list of characters.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Anyone with "Hulk" in their name except for Hulkbusters, the Leader, Abomination, A-Bomb, Doc Samson, Mighty Thorr, and Wolverage. That's the list.

Hulkbusters were human. Leader, Abomination, A-Bomb, and Samson are gamma-irradiated.

Thorr and Wolverage (along with Hulkpool, Hulkmariner, Hulklops, Winter Hulk, and Icehulk) are Hulked-Out Heroes.

Hulkling is not a irradiated Hulk, I think.

ManiacClown posted:

There's also arguably Skaar, though that's probably more purely genetic than from direct irradiation. Lyra's in the same boat.

Yeah, that's true - Skaar was never exposed to the radiation. Same for Lyra - but that discounts Maestro.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

I'd argue Skaar's genetics would be very different if his father wasn't gamma-irradiated, so Skaar would count.

Also, I think Red Hulk and Red She-Hulk (and Red Leader, I think) were not gamma-irradiated - their transformation was through some other process that the Intelligencia cooked up.

Didn't they create the Red Hulks using radiation siphoned off from Banner Hulk at the end of World War Hulk?

Saying Hulk repeatedly is weird.

Hulk hulk hulk.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

I have an event Sunday. "Do you have that in my size?" 500 points, must have a figure who is tiny, giant, or colossal. Judge clarified that it doesn't need to be on the base and can be acquired via Special Power.

What are some fun tiny/giant/colossal pieces you've run? I thought about doing my Bat-Knights and KC batman but that leaves a 50 point hole I can't fill with KC Bat Fams.

Hit-Monkey is a great tiny-sized piece who more than carries his weight.

The AoU Rita Yellowjacket is a really useful piece who can go tiny, and fits on a lot of teams.

Elasti-Girl is a ton of fun, but she was mentioned.

Great Eagle is a giant who doesn't count against theme.

CWOP Goliath is a cheap-ish giant who can do a ton of damage.

Computo is surprisingly effective, and really annoys your opponent.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

What are some fun tiny/giant/colossal pieces you've run? I thought about doing my Bat-Knights and KC batman but that leaves a 50 point hole I can't fill with KC Bat Fams.

I really wish the Flock of Bats had the Batman Family keyword, but I guess I understand why they don't. Maybe at least give them the 'they don't break theme as long as you have someone named 'Batman' on your force'.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Pieces that gently caress Mystics:

How does the prime Baron Blood play?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I got myself the Devil Dinosaur & Moon Girl and Giant-Girl from eBay, and will look for a generic Kree Sentry once the price comes down a little more. Those are pretty much the only colossals I want from this set, and I have zero interest in having tons of colossal pieces I don't want - so this is the first set I won't buy any sealed product of since I started playing regularly.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

Doublepost for Con poo poo and world title news. It is going to be in Philly, Nov 30-Dec 1. Also they previewed Gwenpool, Starro and his minions, and Jim Gordon as Batman.

https://wizkids.com/heroclix/2018/05/14/world-championships-update/

Why in God's name would they make Gwenpool a conex prize?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

Not that I want to be a meta player, but I just looked and found a seller who had them for $1 each with $3 shipping, but each additional item is only $0.50 so I'm buying all three. He also had a TRM Grandmaster, so yes, I'm getting a Jeff Goldblum figure. Yay! Now I'll be able to commit some manner of retardery with them at some point. I could maybe mod one into the Shocker-Mobile.

A guy who works at our venue modded a friend's dune buggy:

Reusing the Spider-Mobile sculpt to give us a generic dune buggy was still an extremely lovely decision, though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Earth X just got announced as the next Marvel set, and... ugh. First Elseworlds/What If, then Battleworld, then Earth X? Let's get back to actual continuity, guys.

I dunno, do we need more Avengers sets?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I would've voted for Iron Man, just because he's got so many options at so many point levels, with tons of keywords. Plus, hey - Tony's car!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

So I pulled a chase Donnie clix with a chase Raph card.

How boned am I?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sanschel posted:

You better hope somebody pulls the inverse error you did and you can just swap cards.

I actually pointed out someone else on HCRealms had the same issue and several auctions on eBay were selling the Donnie chase with no card - and they agreed to exchange the card.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

How do you all organize and store your maps?

I have poo poo tons.

Storage:

+

One of those cubes holds all the maps ever, except for the "premium" ones, which are in a closet, I guess.

Organization: Yeah, right.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

Mighty Thor was a pretty standard collation for a brick right? You either got a chase or a prime and then 3 SRs give or take? Seller in Germany is selling bricks and I'm mighty tempted just because I barely got any of that set when it came out and it seemed to sell out to a degree greater than any other set I've ever seen, even the uncommons are surprisingly expensive and/or non existent on Ebay.

Get the brick, they sold out pretty quickly.

Just hope you don't pull the bullshit flora colossus.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

That set had a ton of high meta which is why it sold so fast, I’d get a brick too

Plus, he can't possibly pull as many Zarrkos as I did.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

I really don't think WizKids cares anymore. They likely figure the competitive players will automatically buy a case or two each and the casuals will keep buying a brick and packs here and there, keeping the game afloat. Their (for the most part) less-than-inspired dial design seems to lend some weight to this. I wouldn't be surprised if even they think the game's on life support and are just coasting until the eventual end, which I'd give as still at least three or four years out.

Just give me a Sin-Eater before the game dies.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

You mean other than the bystander token from Armor Wars?

Yeah, I think he's a prominent enough character that he deserves a sculpt.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I mean, if they lose Marvel or DC's licensing rights, they're dead in the water, right?

I can't imagine they'd lose it, because it's probably been a dependable source of income for those companies, and Clix sells consistently, but you never know.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

If this is what it takes to finally get a new Gambit, Callisto, or classic Beast, great.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DaMangoSentinel posted:

Ah, no new DC sets. Cool. :-/

That being said, I'm excited for the WWE set, but it won't be nearly as dumb as I want it to be. For example, I'm looking for something like this:

Teddy Long

ONE ON ONE WITH DA UNDATAKAH!: POWER: If you have a character named The Undertaker on your force, place him next to an opposing character within range and line of fire. The Undertaker may immediately make a close combat attack.

A TAG TEAM MATCH, PLAYA: Trait: POWER: Pick a friendly character and place him adjacent to another friendly character. Then, pick an opposing character within range and line of fire and then pick another opposing character and place that character adjacent to the first opposing character.

Roman Reigns

WE GOT TO PUSH ROMAN FOR SUMMERSLAM: Trait: Increase all of Roman Reigns combat values +2 this turn. If you do, reduce all other friendly characters combat values by -1 for the rest of the game. This power is still in effect, even if Roman Reigns is KO'd

lol roman wins: Trait: Roman Reigns combat values cannot be reduced and Roman Reigns ignores increased combat values on opposing characters.

Since he's leaving, I'm guessing a Brock Lesnar is out of the question.

There's no way in hell Punk gets made. Hogan seems iffy with his racist stuff and porn thing. But who knows?

I'd love the poo poo out of some 80s WWF, though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

So I have a 600 point event coming up Sunday. There's no prize and I'd like to play something fun but I am suffering from choice lock.

Anyone got any cool ideas? I just got a gordon batman and was trying to make something I liked but just couldn't. Thought about doing the 80's Turtle Villains, Something with the Spider Buggy, etc.

All ideas welcome.

Hydra Avengers, assuming you own the Nazi Cap chase.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

What about Iron Monger 2.0 and a bunch of Tribbles that go boom? You could also mix in The Wizard that creates Tigers, 031 Poison Ivy, Jester, and so on.

You could also do the Thor/Hulk knockback buddies with the UXM Freedom Force that get free Force Blast. Just add in some Outwit to get rid of Charge/Combat Reflexes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I'd prefer 5-figure boosters, but I can see WizKids thinking Star Trek is more of an impulse buy for players.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

What did he look like? I’m wondering if I’ve seen the same guy gently caress up other events.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

He was a big bald dude but that also describes Norm as well but it’s the best I got.

Yeah nobody was sad to see him go he threw screaming profanity laden fits and loved to bully people. It was not a fun tournament environment while he was the RA.

And I wanna some of those world players that year, I think it was the year I won to do Shriek. He yelled at many including me.

Okay, so I went back and searched HCRealms to try and find a discussion about what I remembered -

Norm, I guess, oversaw a tournament I took part in a few years ago: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537517

So yeah, he made a mistake that anybody could've made, and it went downhill after that. The whole tournament was relatively well-run, but getting prizes out was insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

It's my favorite game of the year in 2 weeks.

The annual play the year game at the store. 2019 points, anything goes.

Apokolips has run this event for the last 3 or 4 years but with no new Apokolips being released this year I find I want to try other teams.

I could do Thor Corps, Could definitely do X-Men.

Any thoughts on what you'd do? I'm vaguely considering just running living tribunal at 900 and whatever else I feel like as well.

How many actions do you get?