Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ManiacClown posted:

Thanks for the assistance on upcoming product. In case nobody noticed in the second post, they released the documents yesterday setting for the errata to existing Modern Age game elements to make them work with the new rules. Everything's up on the Rules page under Additional Rules Resources..
They missed TMNT2 FF Donatello, but judging from Sandman, it seems like everyone who got "counter a power" effects now just get a use of Outwit, which means they can't sneak around protected: outwit like they used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Thor Odinson is Vet Icons Superman except with numbers that never fall off, and plot powers, for less points, I'll be shocked if nobody makes a go of it with him. I think there's also real potential in Malekith and a ton of Frost Giants (or Ymir and two frosties), to play a game of "your entire team has two action tokens every single turn, better hope you have willpower and oh look at all my new Dark Elf friends".

And maybe, just to be a contrary rear end in a top hat, I think if I had to pick a team I'd at least playtest Hela and 15 thugs.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

...huh.

Pieces who TK for free are very interesting now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

For the same event I was thinking Hydra and using Captain America to build a steadily growing force of Hydravengers, but now... ugh. I don't wanna have to purpose-build to kill Uni-Mind, but what choices are there?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So, Uni-Mind update: I've noticed that Scarlet Centurion from What If? has the Avengers keyword, and his special power is now worded as "Incapacitate. Hit characters can't use powers until your next turn.", which would utterly pants Uni-Mind because it's not Outwit, haha, gently caress your Power Cosmic and gently caress your Perplex and gently caress your sideboard guys.

That said, he's 140 points and has a 6 range and 10 attack, and while that's all stuff the Hydravengers can help him get around (especially with Agent H turning everyone into SHIELD too for range boosts), it's a pretty big point investment and I don't know.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I played the Hydravengers!

Captain America
Chase Hawkguy with full Utility Belt
Hydra Agent H
Jane Foster
Dr. Strange, Earth's Guardian
Green Arrow ID with DKR Green Arrow on sideline
----300 point line (299 points)---
Hydra Section Chief
Agent Ward
Shifting Density Vision
2x Hydra Recruit
Superman ID with 70 point Superman from Elseworlds on sideline
----500 point line (499 points)---

I had specific plans for all the tentpoles I expected to see, but in general the plan is just to shoot the daylights out of everything, with Agent H and the Section Chief able to do their tricks on my entire team and Vision mostly there as a taxi/tie-up, but he can go heavy form to deal with pesky mystics.

Round 1 was against Morand and his "I'm a dick look at all these dick moves" team. Since he didn't go into detail, I'll be happy to -- I had my team set up in a firing line for the next round, but had left one square where Hawkeye was vulnerable to a close combat attack. Rather than wait for me to light him up next turn, he gave the Goblin King hypersonic and ran right into my team, but due to not knowing Hawkeye's dial, did 5 damage and left him on his last click. Hawkeye took away his power cosmic and then got carried off to Jane by Vision, Section Chief handed out Outwits, and my team beat Goblin King to death in a single turn. After that it was all cleanup, although killing Bizarro was a pain because Morand just kept redirecting my shots to Bizarro Green Arrow and giving me a 9 attack.

Round 2 was against an Asgardian theme team built around Beta Ray Bill. I had a plan for Beta Ray Bill -- Section Chief gives himself Outwit and then gets carried within 4 squares of Bill, outwits Weather Manipulation, then Hawkeye rains down hell on the entire team with cleanup from Green Arrow if I can pull it off and think it's needed. I executed my plan perfectly, only to then realize the plan was flawed; you have to have started the turn within 4, not be within 4 when the line of fire is drawn. All I'd done was bring my Section Chief up to be killed, which happened, and now I've lost my Outwit. With that failure, I just advanced slowly up towards Bill, but Enchantress had a wonderful time screwing up my positioning every time I got close. I managed to turn the game into a slog and acquitted myself well enough, but lost by a score of 129 to 37.

Round 3 was against the Uni-Mind and Genis-Vell. I had a plan for Uni-Mind -- Shoot him to or past his first stop click, then bring in Green Arrow to drop him, and if he drops power cosmic for Perplex, Section Chief will hand out Outwits like candy. This plan worked flawlessly. I kept Uni-Mind occupied by shooting him to his stop click again and again as I took away Genis-Vell's power cosmic, Outwitted him, and hit him for 5 damage. Once Genis was gone I knocked Uni-Mind to his stop click one more time, brought in Green Arrow, and dropped him. The turn afterwards, Hawkeye went hunting, and dropped 4 of the 5 Eternals in a single Running Shot chain. Next turn I got the last one and ended up scoring 867 points that round, which was enough to win second place.

I promised to lend out my DKR Green Arrow next week because I didn't realize I wouldn't get it back by Sunday, so that's gonna be a problem, but honestly Uni-Mind didn't really threaten me due to how utterly I could out-action him. If I need to brute force him, it'll be obnoxious, but doable, I think.

There was also a Hela/Loki team that I didn't get to play, but my plan there is that Hawkeye can wipe the board of all the Lokis and Warrior Souls in a single turn, and we'll see how funny Hela thinks she is without that.

I do need a new plan for Beta Ray Bill, though. My current thought is Quicksilver and either Manifold or Rick Jones, to TK him out. As long as Quicksilver can hit both his Flurry attacks, he knocks Bill onto an obnoxiously unmobile click without Weather Manipulation, and from there he can be one-shotted by Green Arrow or I can just shoot out the rest of his team around him (starting with Jane Foster, obviously).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I think that dude on HCRealms is why they're not previewing stuff; if there's a leak (and he's claimed to have a full setlist) they're probably trying to plug it and in no mood to post previews that'll confirm his accuracy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

My venue's been pretty good about keeping the meta bullshit to a low boil, though I'm really unhappy with how many teams for Escalation Month are themed around meta bullshit figures. It helps if you schedule stuff that isn't just 300 Modern, and judges who are on the ball can nip it in the bud by just making events where those figures can't be played because the rules mandate creative team building.

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah he's definitely not smart to be doing all this dumb "confirming" bullshit if he's not someone designated to be doing that
It's really not, and he's definitely not -- I can tell because he's some HCR rando who's posting things on an unaffiliated website at his own whim. Either he or his "friend" who gave him the setlist (who I sorta doubt exists) probably has WizKids lawyers howling after their blood and is gonna be really sorry if they get tracked down.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm putting away my Hydravengers team from Escalation Month and only when I separated them out by set did I notice that nearly half the drat team was either SRs, LEs, or chases. I guess it's pretty unavoidable when Nazi Cap, Baron Strucker, and Wolverine, Agent of Hydra are all basically must-plays, but drat. Hydra is not a friend to the common man.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra is one of my favorite movies ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8D0PQQDptM

My team has a Man of Science, his Wife, a Man of Evil Science, an Animal Girl, a Mutant, and a Skeleton. If it was 500 points I'd have found room for two aliens, but it's not and I couldn't fit them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

So, Reed Richards or Hank Pym, Sue Storm or Wasp, Too drat many, Squirrel Girl, Colossus, and a Horror Skeleton?
I don't own any Undead skeletons so it's a Skeleton Skullwalker, but you're very close.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Oh and a supreme douche who loves to rant and rail about teams needing poo poo they don't need decided to let me know my team "wasn't very good". Yeah motherfucker you see what I bring next week then. (I don't really like this guy on the best of days)
Is this the same guy who played Hulk and Beta Ray Bill and justified it by calling it "Shrek" and claiming Bill was Donkey? Because that guy got straight up my last nerve with that bullshit.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Ran a WKO with Harley Today.
I placed top 8 but going from Swiss to Knockout I traded a 6 strong team fronted by Bombshell Batgirl to a top-heavier squad of Yellow Lantern Harley, Barda, and Thrillkiller Batman.

Coulda worked, but my shot to do 6 damage to Bombshell Supergirl missed and that was basically that. Oh well.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Completely tournament-legal team: Hela and 30 tribbles.

Can your 300 point army deal with an infinite swarm of Warrior Souls and a Hela who can heal over 30 clicks? Because I don't think it can.

food court bailiff posted:

What starters/FFs have the current rules/PAC? Anything currently?
Mighty Thor does, I'm not sure about Harley.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That Flashpoint Superman from Flash is a king of bizarro format.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

HAHA Joker, Uni-Mind, and Boxing Ring have been watchlisted.

Also HCR has the entire Star Trek set spoiled. It is an awesome set, and for whoever wanted Frank Gorshin clix, you got him, complete with half black and half white dial.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Disney is officially buying Fox, so while elsewhere people talk about Avengers vs. X-Men movies and the creeping monolithic takeover of our country and culture by megacorporations beyond the nightmares of cyberpunk, let's focus on the important bit:

Start the countdown to getting Fantastic Four clix again!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is there a preference towards maps or some that are good? The shop has a few of the big heavy maps that are made on the same material as mousepads and card playmats that were nice, but they were a bit high.

Is there a reasonable Defenders themed team? Iron Fist and Luke Cage were two of my favorite characters years back when I was heavy into comics, I love street level heroes.
So nobody really got into this with you, but maps are actually a somewhat big tactical element in the game -- terrain and lines of fire are big deals, and you want to pick a map that accentuates what your team is good at and hopefully disrupts your opponent's strategy. (Now having said that, anyone who's ever played me will tell you, I ignore all my own good advice and insist on playing every single match on the Bridge because it is my favorite map and I love it.) You'll want a collection of maps so you can bring a few advantageous ones with you when you play. The good news is, Heroclix absolutely throws maps at you. Fast Forces come with maps. Starters come with maps. New set comes out? New map. Organized Play event? Maps. Your collection will build very quickly.

As for the Defenders, you may want to pick up the Avengers/Defenders War Fast Forces, which has very good versions of Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and their Netflix street level buddies. Plus a map! And like Morand said, the entire AVDW set is crawling with them. The units section on HCRealms is an invaluable tool, both for team-building and also for looking for figures. Click the different set icons and you'll get setlists, or if you're looking for a particular character just search for that name.

Here's a link to the WizKids Information Network (WIN), which you'll want to make an account on sooner than later, and if you want to turn your LGS into a venue, they'll want to get an account and get set up there too. Getting WizKids support for your events gets you the maps I was talking about before, and also special figures that can only be won in tournament play. Also, for you right now: See that "Find Stores and More" field right at the top? Click it, put in your zip code, filter for HeroClix, and search. Now you have a list of all the venues by you and what upcoming events they're running. Try some of them out. Not only is getting your rear end kicked by experienced players the only way to learn the game, but again like Morand said, they will absolutely drown you in Heroclix figures and you'll be doing them a favor by taking them off their hands.

Have fun!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Huh, really? Well, that's me looking stupid, then.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm probably going to buy that AVDV fast forces pack, that's exactly the heroes I wanted some of. Perfect. For competitions, is it best of 3? How do you decide who picks the maps?
Competition is you build a team using pre-specified point totals and rules. Tournament standard is 300 points Modern Age, but unless you're at a super serious WizKids official regional tournament, venues are free to declare whatever they want. Just for example's sake, last week my local venue did 400 points but team must be comprised entirely of figures from the Harley Quinn and the Gotham Girls set, and up next is 800 points where one figure has to be Power Cosmic, Quintesence, or Kingdom Come... so, yeah. There's variation. Incidentally, this is one of the key areas where Heroclix is nothing at all like Magic; because the format can change every week you don't just have one team you play every time, you have a collection that you use different pieces out of depending on need. (Which is good, because playing the same pieces every week would be boring anyway.)

For maps, players bring maps with them, and the venue likely has a collection of maps that anyone can use, and also players are generally very good about lending maps out to one another if you have one they want to use and you're not using it this round. Before each round, you and your opponent roll off, with the high roller going first and getting to choose map. Theme teams give a bonus to this roll.

Tournaments are almost always 3 rounds. First round, opponents are assigned randomly. For rounds two and three, players are sorted first on record and then on point total to break ties within the same record, with the top two playing each other, then the next two, and so on. If there's an odd number of players, the lowest player gets a "bye", which is treated as a 0 point win.

If you want to read up more on this stuff, here's the rules. I strongly suggest either printing out the core rulebook and PAC, or buying a Mighty Thor or Star Trek starter, which come with them. You'll definitely want them on-hand when you actually start playing games, even experienced players will pull them out for reference when we're trying to figure out rule interactions.

I don't know about SA-Mart, but I'm entirely willing to weigh my idiotic huge collection of duplicate figures and offer them to you for cost of shipping (which is probably very high, there's a lot of them) and I bet I'm not the only person who'd make that offer.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 21, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I use Sterilite stackable drawers, which Target and Walmart carry. One shelf per set.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Is it super important to hit the maximum point value? I feel like I'm being inefficient if I play a 280 point team, but want to follow the advice of having more support units with skills instead of just 2 bruisers. Enchantress seems super fun to mess with.
It's not super important but there's a line between "this is the team I wanted to play and it's a few points short no big deal" and "I've left enough points on the table to cripple myself". Generally speaking, 15-20 points is the line; if you're within 10 points it's no big deal, 10-15 I'd definitely start side-eyeing my team and would throw on an equipment or something. By 20 points I'm either finding one more piece to squeeze on or deciding I've misbuilt and redoing the team from scratch.

If you're doing Asgardians and you have 20 points open, put Eric Masterson on the team if you have him, or look over the figures already on your team and start seeing what you can get for a few extra points instead.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

For the initial roll to determine first play, does everyone on my team have to share a keyword to get a bonus? Or if just 2 do, will I still get +2?
Everyone. If a figure doesn't have the keyword, it's 'breaking theme' and you no longer have a theme team. Do note, however, that bystanders can't break theme even though they have no keywords, and some figures will have traits saying that they don't break theme under certain conditions (for example, convention exclusive Loki won't break theme if he's on a team with Thor).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

We gave you the "you're gonna get creamed" advice, right? Because you're going to get utterly creamed. Your early losses are all teachable moments; just figure out what your opponent took advantage of and make sure that next week they beat you on something else until you're all out of newbie mistakes. The most common newbie mistakes are mis-positioning and failure to remember powers. You'll make them. Don't get downhearted.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

I thought push damage would be a part of actions resolving - i.e. the action hasn't resolved until the push damage has been applied.
The token doesn't go on until after actions resolve, and pushing damage is triggered by the token. If I remember correctly there was a minor kerfuffle during the rules overhaul where they moved when tokens go on but nothing else and it created so many weird corner cases based on special powers that check action tokens that they abandoned that idea.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

I have 2 builds open for critiques.
TAKE THE loving UTILITY BELT OFF OF DARKSEID YOU MOTHERFUCKER

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

gently caress me, the next DC set is a Batman Animated Series set. http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585397
No complaining allowed!

quote:

In addition to the heroes and villains of Gotham, fans will be delighted to learn that there are characters from Justice League Unlimited, Batman Beyond, and the Super-Friends! The HeroClix team has taken special care to showcase characters from beloved episodes that have never been Clixed before like Zeta, Leslie Thompkins, Maxie Zeus, Kyodai Ken, The Clock King, The Phantasm, Riddler’s Robot Minotaur, Apache Chief, and others!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

I played 400 points of Starfleet last night
In an odd coincidence, I also played Starfleet yesterday; 500 points in my case.

My team was Title Kirk, Mr. Spock, Lt. Sulu, Ensign Chekov, Nurse Chapel, Evil Kirk, Lt. Uhura, and the starter versions of Mr. Scott and Dr. McCoy. I had Lt. Kyle and a redshirt on the sideline for beam-in purposes, as well as Shirtless Kirk and Sulu for beam-in/ripping their shirts for a turn. (My venue has a highlander rule so I also brought Christopher Pike in case Evil Kirk got disallowed, but he wasn't.) I was aware that the team had flaws -- low mobility, no carry, cruddy range -- but figured if I lost horribly, I'd lose horribly playing a fun Star Trek team that I wanted to play.

Round 1 was against a Hydra team of Cosmic X-23, Dreadpool, and Wolverine, Agent of Hydra. Uhura stole the Hydra TA for my team, which I greatly appreciated. My opponent did not appreciate it, as between Spock and Sulu's Enhancement, Scotty's flat +1 to damage for the team, and the fact that I was running a swarm who wanted to stay close together anyway, I was turning all his defenses into 15s and 14s and then shooting him for 5 or 6 damage each time I hit. He tried to stop me by basing with Dreadpool, but Evil Kirk ripped his shirt and KO'd Dreadpool with his two CCEs for 5 damage each. I won in a brutal, easy clean sweep.

Round 2 was against a non-themed but comic-accurate team of Deadpool's Uncanny Avengers lineup: Deadpool, Old Man Cap, Synapse, Spider-Man, Rogue, and Dr. Voodoo. Uhura took the X-Men TA but I never got a chance to use it. I shot Deadpool up early, knocking him to a Ridiculous Regeneration click, and then the game turned badly against me when Title Kirk and Lt. Sulu got KO'd and Evil Kirk took some hits. I was then based by Rogue, who was on a click with a 19 defense and poison and seemed quite content to hang out poisoning my damage reducer-lacking team. However, I realized that Uhura was still quite alive, Shirtless Kirk has an 11 attack on all his clicks, and 12+7 is 19. Kirk ripped his shirt, I used Spock's logic lock, and the 5 damage CCE was enough to KO Rogue. With my team freed up we shot Spider-Man to death that same turn, which swung the game decisively in my favor. Deadpool got an unlucky roll on his ridiculous regen and then I logic locked an attack on Dr. Voodoo to make him take it (since the roll can't be rerolled), and that was it.

Round 3 was against a Justice League team of HQGG god chases: Flash, Superman, and Green Lantern. Uhura took the GL TA, which helped a great deal early on, as my opponent was afraid of my team and hung back, forcing me to come box him in, so being able to only put tokens on two of my characters (and alternating which two did the carrying) was a big deal. Once I got in close to his starting area, he had Flash run up, punch someone, and then run away to the other side of the board -- very annoying. He had also correctly identified my team's strengths, and was going after McCoy and Scotty to stop the flat +1s they were handing out to the entire team rather than getting distracted by the attackers. McCoy went down, but I got two very lucky breaks; first Green Lantern ran out to shoot Mr. Scott and rolled a crit miss, and then Flash ran up to hit him and succeeded... but rolled a 1 to break away when he tried to run back. With Flash exposed and my +1 damage intact, I KO'd Flash that turn, then turned on Green Lantern, KOing him too. I lost Nurse Chapel in the process so I was now out of medics, but with all my attackers alive against only Superman, it didn't matter. As long as Scotty's boosting damage, everyone on the team can bust Invincible, if only for a click or two of damage each time, and once he dropped to Invul Kirk psyblasted him to death.

Starfleet turns out to be much greater than the sum of its parts. Each piece is good on its own, but as you add more and more and they all hand out bonuses to each other, the synergy is tremendous. They've got so much flexibility on points -- Nurse Chapel was only there because I had 15 points left over -- but everyone helps. In this case, having two medics meant that unless you KO'd a piece in one turn or based them, they'd just get healed right back up. The team has tremendous damage output and ate tentpoles alive by out-actioning them. They absolutely have weaknesses -- low range, no transporters of any sort, no improved movement or targeting -- but with so many of them on the team, I won map every round and got to pick map to mitigate those things. Chase Kirk swung the game in my first two rounds and sadly there was no time in which ripping my shirt would have helped in round 3 and I never got to bring in Chase Sulu, and Kirk never built up enough tokens to beam anyone in -- he got KO'd quick in round 2 and in rounds 1 and 3 ended the game with two and three plot points respectively, as they were over very quickly. Of course, I did win all those games, so those are only minor disappointments at best.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Wait, does an HSS character have to roll breakaway in the middle of his HSS action if he bases and CLOSE attacks?
Yup. Move, attack, move again, and no IM: Characters. The tradeoff is that Plasticity is no longer a total shutdown, because you stop before attacking anyway.

As for organization, I do Marvel/DC/Other, but I absolutely organize the cards by set. Any other grouping and you get to play eternal games of "now what arbitrary group did I put that character in, they could fit in any one of several" and end up unsure if you actually own a piece or not.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

While we're talking Hulks, is there a way to identify any Marvel characters who could be considered gamma-irradiated? I wanted to do a gamma-themed game for a home scenario, but wanted something easier than a long list of characters.
Anyone with "Hulk" in their name except for Hulkbusters, the Leader, Abomination, A-Bomb, Doc Samson, Mighty Thorr, and Wolverage. That's the list.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I wanna do that Rumble scenario at some point, though. It sounds awesome.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrent posted:

If your store is anything like ours, you've got a big box of extras that anybody can just take.
This is... not a bad idea. I may bring in a box to our local place.

Also our pre-release event is scheduled for this Sunday and, well, we're a venue in the Philadelphia suburbs. I'm guessing attendance will be exactly zero, but God knows I won't be there to find out.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ATAs only apply to figures with that keyword, though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

All right, I think I've come up with a better team to beat Mr. Low-effort. I mainly want to hand him his rear end for always playing the same thing while making it plain to him as he sees what I use that it makes him easy to beat if someone tries so that he'll MAYBE try something different. I mean, he's the only other guy I can count on to show anymore and it's getting boring always facing OP kit Dormammu, OP kit Doctor Strange, Tiamat, Mr. Mxyzptlk, and whatever else the format will allow (usually Splitlip and the Book).
If he wants to lean on the Mystics TA and Book of the Skull like crutches, I suggest kicking his crutch out.

Pieces that gently caress Mystics: Thorbuster, Jimmy Woo (if you play a SHIELD swarm), GG Dormammu, Templar Oliver Queen, CWFF Scarlet Witch
Pieces that gently caress Equipment: TMNT3 Leonardo, Earth X Captain America, Bedlam, LE Firestorm, Sersi, Disintegration Beam, M10 Iron Man, JLTW Firestorm, Gluttony, D10 Catwoman

And just throw White Witch or the GL Battery on there on general principles, if he wants to play silly games with free actions then see how he likes it when you take his free actions away. Oh, and if you have him, Balls of Fury is a classic for a reason. He likes tentpoles. He likes the funny squeaking noises they make with a bullet in the throat.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Would you guys say that Wizkids is now designing sets around competitive play rather than designing them to be enjoyable all-around, where they now center on the mechanics of what's coming out rather than the characters themselves? I think that's a lot of what's killed off attendance— it's all about the next broken-rear end thing.
I think your venues are. If you're sick of 300 Modern I don't blame you, but the solution is really easy: don't play 300 Modern. Do something else. 500 Golden Age, and at least one character has to be a cowboy. There, you can have that for free.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrent posted:

Huh... World's isn't going to be at Origins, this year. It is 'to be held at an east coast convention in the fall.'
What?

quote:

them not planning on doing events at Gen-Con this year
GODDAMMIT WHAT?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrent posted:

There's no official announcement on that one yet, so there's still hope. But, last I checked with the volunteer coordinator, Gen-Con wants to put our events on the football field again, and WizKids doesn't want that, since being so far away cut our attendance just about in half from where it usually is (although, you know, having skipped Gen-Con for a couple years previously might have also had something to do with that). So, the WK plan is to have a booth to sell stuff, but not to run events.
I mean yeah, it was a ghost town, but I agree with you that skipping GenCon probably hurt more than being a short walk away. Make them at least run BRs goddammit.

Also early buzz is PAX Unplugged for Worlds, mostly because nobody can think of any other convention held on the east coast in fall.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It was Philly last year.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Disney still doesn't own Fox yet, let alone whenever they were planning Battleworld. No way is there a God Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

So we were playing on the Fallen Asgard map which has that big blob of special terrain in the middle that counts as hindering, my chum had a Batman with stealth right on the edge of the hindering but outside of it and I had a Jean Grey inside the blob of hindering 3 or 4 squares away from the batman, he said that the squares between were blocking line of fire. Now I'm pretty sure how that works is (and I'm also sure this is how we've always played it in any case, we've just not played for weeks and it's not come up for months) that a single blob of continuous hindering terrain is all one thing, so a figure shooting out of it doesn't have their line of fire blocked as long as it solely crosses hindering terrain within the boundary with the square that they're occupying and doesn't cross any separate hindering terrain squares outside of that. The logic being, you can shoot out of cover regardless of where you are in the cover.

Is that correct and if so, what's the passage in the rulebook that explains that and makes it clear? Also if it's wrong, then I guess I am red faced because I've been playing the game wrong for 15 years.
You're wrong and your friend is right. The relevant passage in the rulebook is the one that says that lines of fire that cross hindering terrain are hindered. Draw a line of fire from Jean to Batman. Does it cross even a single square of hindering terrain? Yes, it does, so it's hindered.