Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I don't think heavy cheese is limited to SRs and above.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of limiting builds based on rarity, as there are a lot of characters needed to fill out teams that only have one SR representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I might've had a chance to win if I didn't crit miss off of Running Shot with the Thena I played.

But I did get to full-damage quake 5 dudes (including Tyrannus pogs) with Thunderball, so that was fun.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

TKers can now TK themselves.

Ball game changed.

EDIT: Although not as much as I initially thought. It's still a power action to move a figure, so you move yourself but have a token.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 24, 2017

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Sanschel posted:

I'm trying to put together an Avengers team following a theme of legacy characters who've taken on their own 90s name. So far I'm at Thunderstrike, USAgent, and War Machine. I could add Scott Lang Ant-Man but he doesn't quite fit the naming convention and I'm stymied for anybody else who does. Got any ideas?

Monica Rambeau has gone through several. As has Genis-Vell, both former Captain Marvels. Plus Phyla-Vell, for that matter, although she may have only been an Avenger in another dimension.

Hawkingbird.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Anybody interested in the Colossal Spectre? I'm thinking about selling mine because yay money auto repairs etc. All the Angry Spirit tokens, the instructions, and the box is still with it - although the box is a bit dinged up.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

For some reason, I thought it would be funny to make a movie team based on Kramer vs. Kramer.

Gladiator once took on the holographic alias of Cal Kramer.

There was a Checkmate Agent named Philip Kramer.

Then maybe just use a bunch of divorced characters. Hawkeye and Mockingbird, Scarlet Witch and Vision... Spider-Man, Mary Jane and Mephisto...

vvvv Maybe Supreme Intelligence as that giant head that pukes out weapons. If I'm thinking of the right movie.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 1, 2017

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I don't know what it says that you both play at the same venue, and you have to ask which douchebag you're talking about - do you get a lot of douches at your venue? My experience, there's usually just one douche fuckin' it up for the people what's in the streets - the one guy who aggravates everybody. But I guess if you get bigger crowds, you'll get multiple douches.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I dunno about the paint. There's some serious slop here.

I pulled Black/Red Lantern Harley, and not only was she broken in two places (her arm fell off, and she was broken off of the sculpt), but her face paint job might as well be a Russian nesting doll. I'm willing to trade this as is if anyone wants to put the time into fixing her.

My brick (and 4 boosters extra for a sealed) also included King Shark (yay!), Bombshell Supergirl, Harley & Ivy (also up for trade), Nightshade (very cool), Grail (who I didn't even realize I pulled, because my glance at the sculpt made me think she was Lashina and I have no idea who Grail is), and my girlfriend pulled God Lex in the sealed and cleaned house. Got the Sinestro Harley prime.

Some of the bombshells look iffy, too, and the whole bombshell concept really calls for some kickass sculpts/paints, too. Still, gotta get 'em all. Even though I don't even read the book.

Sad I did not pull Jeannette. At least I got a Kite-Man!

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Apparently the TMNT 4 set is going to be based off the old video games, and the sculpts are going to look 8-bit blocky. The Bebop prototype looks like Minecraft or something.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Can you at least recap the response of the douche who mouthed off about your fun team when you murdered his team this time?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Morand posted:

"Well I'm not going to win this week".

That's a little anticlimactic. I was expecting way more crybaby.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I am somewhat disheartened at no SPACE LINCOLN, though.

But GORSHINCLIX!

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I bought 2 Star Trek bricks. Sadly, no Mirror Spock or Uhura, but I got Fencing Sulu! And the OP Kit LE is the "I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!!!!" version of Kirk. Can't wait to play him with Title Kirk.

Sealed tourney, there were only three of us, and I got the bye first round, and then the third guy/judge went home sick partway through the second round, so kinda uneventful. I ran:

Horta
Shahna
Bele
Romulan Commander
Romulan Lieutenant
Tellarite to round out points.

Lost to a guy who pulled an amazing team of beef and support.

Pike
Kor
McCoy
Chapel
Chekov
Romulan Centurion

I tried to run the Horta on the Horta map, and get him back to mess with the support while distracting the Indomitable jerks, but all the Sidestep made Bones pretty drat elusive. Barely made dents.

Tried to play that team again with the Starter pack, designed for synergy, and hit big early, but couldn't finish Pike off before he could go get healed back up to full with dual support. Didn't have a chance after that.

If I get Chase Kirk, I'm going to run an All-Shatner team.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

ManiacClown posted:

Wait, do you mean Kirk from that episode where the woman did a mind swap with him because she wanted to be taken seriously?

No, it's from the episode where a transporter accident split Kirk into his logical yet emotionless and indecisive self and his insane rapey id given form.

Also, I've got a Gorn broken at the elbows. hopefully having two spots to glue it will work better than the spindly bits where they often break. Not even gonna try to glue my busted lantern Harley back together.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 9, 2017

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Huh. Haven't tried to return anything since the old days, when I got a Calypso fig on a Rupert dial and managed to score the super-duper-ultra rare LE of the Mole Man. Maybe I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

EDIT: Wait a minute, what's this rule? "Figures will be replaced with a figure from the same set with the same rarity. If no such figure is available, a replacement of the same rarity from the next set for that brand (Marvel, DC, etc.) will be used instead."

So I send these broken ones in, and they send me random SRs instead of replacements for the broken ones?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So, Morgan Spurlock just confessed to being a sexual harassment creep. Harry Knowles has been outed as a complete creep, and Joss Whedon at least mentally abused his ex-wife with creepy ego-maniacal justifications.

That makes three Heroclix figures that should retroactively share keywords with Purple Man and/or Dr. Psycho.

Anyone want to ruin Stan Lee to make it a 4 for 4 on that 4-pack?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I expect it to be super casual, since there's not really an established scene in this area (Western NC).

Whereabouts in Western NC? I'm in the Charlotte area, and we have three different places that run Clix games that I'm aware of, and sadly only two of them are decent - in the other one, I went 2-0-1 in a tournament and somehow lost to a guy I beat because he had more points. Usually, tie games are decided with a roll-off and I even won that, but they were just weird and squirrelly about NOT explaining why I lost - even saying "we were going on points, not record' would have helped, even though they never said that before the game. I haven't been back since - I'm not even very competitive, but I prefer the rules to make some sense.

ANYWAY. The other two places are solid, and my preferred one tends to lean casual, which I appreciate.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Asheville. We have a pretty strong mtg scene and most mtg nerds like playing other games, so I expect some people to pick it up at the lgs I attend. I'm friends with the owners and employees and they're all getting into it anyway so I expect any events to be run well and not have weird poo poo like your incident. We just don't have a judge so we have to Google questions we have. If I got more into it competitively I'd consider going to charlotte for an event. Which stores are you talking about?

Spandex City is the iffy joint. They are nice enough people and they have a decent little play space, but just a weird experience last time. They were passing that off as being by-the-book officious, as if they entered all the information in whatever Wizkids site they report to, and that's how the winner was determined, which didn't make any sense to me. But they have an ice cream vendor in the store, so there's that. I think they only play every other Thursday evening anyway.

The place I like best is Rebel Base in South Charlotte. The play space isn't the best - the hallway outside the store - but I like the people and they are all about casual fun more than hyper-competitiveness. They have games on Sunday afternoons - and sometimes on Wednesdays for release day sealed tourneys, where the store gives 15% off all Heroclix product on those days.

The other place I sometimes play is Parker Banner Kent Wayne in Cornelius. They play games on Mondays. There is some occasional overlap with players there and at Rebel Base sometimes, but they usually tend to lean a little more competitive with the team builds - like no shame in using resources and ID cards and what-not. But they at least appreciate goofball builds like I come up with from time to time. Also, the "Fellowship" winner (who is usually the last place finisher) gets to decide the format of the next week's event, so if you prefer casual games you can take that opportunity to make one yourself. The main frustration with them is that the store isn't timely about advertising their games on the official site - most of the player base has an online chat on GroupMe where the information gets out to the regulars, but that doesn't help with growing the playerbase. The store sometimes doesn't put the game on the Wizkids tourney site until maybe an hour before the event, which is no help to anybody. They do have a crap ton of playing space, though, so I like to go there when I can, and I'm on the GroupMe thing so I can find out what the games are. Also, there are a couple of generally friendly people there who nonetheless have a jokey rivalry with each other, and it's off-putting because they'll make jokes on the app comparing their losses to getting raped, and that makes me twitch.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I tend to find StrikeZone a little overpriced. CoolStuffInc is also a decent place.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I have a poo poo-ton of plastic tackleboxes from the fishing sections of local sporting goods stores. I've got them stacked almost as tall as me in two piles in the corner of my room, which is about as unobtrusive as I can make them. But I sort the figures by who the characters are and what teams/genres they'd be on rather than by set - an Avengers box, a Batman Enemy box, a 'random magic people I barely know' box, etc.

I bought a bunch of 3-ring binders for my character cards, but I'm second-guessing that decision. I'm thinking deckboxes - longer ones - might be a better option just because the binders are so unwieldy.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

ManiacClown posted:

I use the Plano Deep Stowaway Model 3730. I have even more now. I usually get it at Menards but their website doesn't seem to have it anymore, which makes me a mite nervous I will add that Menards carries a box that has 24 smaller boxes in with SKU #245-2705. The smaller boxes are the perfect size for keeping terrain markers and object tokens in along with other small odds and ends, like small-based attachable elements (i.e., the Riddler's Clue).

I actually use a two-drawer card file box (probably originally from a library) for my cards. That way I can put in alphabetical dividers— and boy, howdy do I need them.

I'm gonna bookmark that tacklebox model and see if I can find them around here. The dumb Wal-Mart near me has tackleboxes that are way too shallow.

I still have the cards separated out by set, but in alphabetical order. Some part of me just wants to do complete alphabetizing of every drat card I have all together. Maybe that'd be easier. Do you have a link to the model of file box you use?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Torrent posted:

Pushing damage happens 'after actions resolve,' as do several other effects (notably, taking damage from the Mystics team ability, healing from Steal Energy, and, yes, Punisher's healing). When effects happen simultaneously, the active player (in this case, you, since it's your turn) gets to choose the order that they resolve in. So you can choose that he takes the pushing damage and then heals, if you want to.

I thought push damage would be a part of actions resolving - i.e. the action hasn't resolved until the push damage has been applied.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Well, the chases may be AOA themed, as Dark Beast is one. So annoying.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I played a Trelane-led Star Trek monster team against a Guardians of the Galaxy team. Most fun part of the game is Yondu going apeshit and basically shishkebobbing all of my Tribbles in one turn. But shirtless Sulu turned the tide and managed to snag me the win.

Trelane's crazy die-replacement power also swung the game to me. I kept rolling sixes and ones.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

ManiacClown posted:

At this point I'm just trying to bring whatever wacky bullshit I can come up with, mainly to use figures I've never used before or pull off a trick I've never pulled off before.

This is the ideal approach to the entire game.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I played 400 points of Starfleet last night, featuring Title Kirk and Chekov, Pike and Redshirts (including Kyle and Leslie) on the sideline, none of whom ever got in because the most plot points I ever managed to get on was 2, since I can't attack walls and have them count for attacks. That was my first use of a Title Character. I also had Fencing Sulu on the sideline, but I never got the chance to bring him in, either.

I was late, so I got the first round bye.

Second round, I went up against the Starter Set Away Team with 3 Redshirts to fill out the points on the Forbidden Planet map - wide open, not the best for me. I set up for alpha strike with Title Kirk on Enemy Kirk, probbed it 4 times, and two of those times gave me a crit miss, including the final time. The Away Team's range advantage got to me, and although I managed to get a pretty powerful Spock hit, thanks to Uhura and Scotty perplex, on Enemy Scotty, the Redshirt took the hit, and I got mopped up.

Third round, I went up against an Invaders team of Steve Rogers, Radiance, Winter Soldier and US Agent. This one worked more to my advantage on the flip side of the map which I can't remember the name of, but it had plenty of blocking terrain and indoor terrain to work around. Managed to get Sulu around to alpha on US Agent, while Steve went after Uhura's uber-Perplex and got her down to the last click, but she was able to escape back to McCoy and Chapel. Meanwhile, Scotty and Uhura beefed up Spock, and Spock used his 'logic' trait to make sure his roll was a 7, enough to hit Steve. That was the only time out of 4 times I tried using that power and it worked. Every other time, making sure all I needed was a 5, I'd roll under that - including another crit miss. Still not sure in what context one would ever use McCoy's power, unless you absolutely needed a 10 to hit anyway, so might as well make that a critical hit chance. Anyway, Sulu, Kirk and Yeoman Rand flanked the indoor house to take care of US Agent, then capped Radiance (who didn't hit anything) and aced Steve. Winter Soldier never really got a chance to engage.

Now that I realize Title Kirk needs to be in there swinging, I'd like to try him again, because beaming in other dudes seems awesome. Yeoman Rand's ability to keep tokens off of him is a big help, too.

So I got the Uncanny Avengers OP trio - was Scarlet Spider actually on that team? Anyone know anything about Synapse? Never heard of the character.

Also, I have 2 total Thor 3 figs, so I sprung for 4 more. 2 of them were the same Thor I already had, the third was the other Thor, and the fourth was Loki. Boo. Can't I get a Hulk? At least I have Goldblum.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Wait, does an HSS character have to roll breakaway in the middle of his HSS action if he bases and CLOSE attacks?

Also, now it sounds like I have to get Chase Kirk. And congrats on the logic lock working much better for you than it did for me. Although I completely forgot about Uhura's team-stealing power for my second game.

Also, I got a bunch of card boxes so I can take all my cards out of unwieldy binders and put them in easier-to-deal-with card boxes. However, I'm tempted to no longer group them by set, but just massively alphabetical for all character cards, separated only into DC/Marvel/Other (although I'd keep it within sets for Other, I think). My figures aren't organized by set, but rather by logical themely groupings in general.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 16, 2018

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

CapnAndy posted:

Yup. Move, attack, move again, and no IM: Characters. The tradeoff is that Plasticity is no longer a total shutdown, because you stop before attacking anyway.

As for organization, I do Marvel/DC/Other, but I absolutely organize the cards by set. Any other grouping and you get to play eternal games of "now what arbitrary group did I put that character in, they could fit in any one of several" and end up unsure if you actually own a piece or not.

Shows how often I play HSS.

And that, yes, is a problem with the figures, but there's also a lot of cross-pollination where you're looking for a guy and you come across other guys you wouldn't have thought of, and it trains you to a whole different theme altogether, etc. Having every drat Batman in the same box is also helpful.

As far as the cards, though, you wouldn't have that problem if you just to flat alphabetical with every Marvel card there is. Starts with B, it's in the Bs, regardless of what set it was in. But i do need to get dividers, though - any cardbox dividers that would work well to write letters or sets on? It's a little small for index cards.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm thinking I might keep them separated by set so I can keep better track of what pieces I still need or don't have.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Man. There's a game this Monday where they are taking on the old school Galactus scenario, but making it a sealed using old-rear end Origins boosters.

I can see the appeal of that, but I don't know if I want to drive 25 minutes for that.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'd argue Skaar's genetics would be very different if his father wasn't gamma-irradiated, so Skaar would count.

Also, I think Red Hulk and Red She-Hulk (and Red Leader, I think) were not gamma-irradiated - their transformation was through some other process that the Intelligencia cooked up.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Red posted:

Didn't they create the Red Hulks using radiation siphoned off from Banner Hulk at the end of World War Hulk?

Saying Hulk repeatedly is weird.

Hulk hulk hulk.

It looks like you're right. I'd forgotten the specifics, I just knew it was kinda different... what with being all red and all, but it's gamma plus MODOK experimentation and such.

Hulka Hulka Burnin' Love.

One day, maybe we'll get The Harpy, which was the first time Betty Ross was transformed by MODOK and gamma radiation into a monster - a green bird lady.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

That's pretty awesome. Although I wonder - what was Skurge's entry number? And how would it be handled if someone ended up with only their figs in the ring at any given time?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

It should be mandated that the sound of glass breaking is played from someone's phone whenever reinforcements come in.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Oh, man... I hadn't thought about using Tactics ships to represent death from above while the Away Team fights on the ground... do I need to get an Enterprise and a Romulan ship? I've never paid attention to Tactics before.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I was allowed to create the scenario for tomorrow's game, so I thought I'd celebrate the release of Black Panther because I'm crazy geeked about it.

I've been loving the music choices in the trailers, so here's the game: 400 point team based on a song by a black artist.

I've been brainstorming quite a bit. My favorite dumb idea is to do Whitney Houston's "My Name Is Not Susan" and play a team of characters that are not named Susan, but chances are I'll do that anyway, so I'm going to make that a bonus.

My leading choice right now is "Say It Loud (I'm Black And I''m Proud)" by James Brown, and playing Muhammad Ali and prominent black superheroes, just to get into the spirit of it, and I feel I have to play Ali. My girlfriend is considering "Single Ladies" and using women with Lantern rings on it, or "Word Up" with characters who have words on their sculpts, like the TV Batman villains and Onomatopeia and Dr. Bong and probably some Deadpool Word Balloon characters.

If you wanted to use Ice-T's "Colors," who would you put on that team besides Crazy Quilt, Rainbow Raider and Unicorn Deadpool? What teams would you consider?

Other thoughts: STOP click figs for "2 Legit 2 Quit." Characters who start with G for "Nothin' But A G Thing." Heroes named John for "Johnny Be Good."

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Speaking of giants...

There's a 600 point game this weekend, Modern Age, which I hate because I tend to like to play obscure teams that spread out over multiple sets and thus can't use everybody all the time and I hate it because I hate it.

We get bonus points per kill for named theme teams. I'm just dumb enough to want to run Ymir at 550 points and then... there are no Asgardians 50 points or less... um... huh. Maybe I'll equip Proteus or something?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Torrent posted:

Couldn't put Proteus on Ymir. Not only does being colossal prevent equipping, but you have to be 100 points or less to equip Proteus.

There are a ton of Asgardians at 50 points or fewer, though... three Thors, Sif, Jane Foster, Throg, lots of generics... heck, if you've got them, you could run two retaliation Frost Giants to stay super-thematic.

Shows you how often I use possessors.

And it seems my Advanced Unit Search-Fu failed me. I see now... hm... sadly, the only Frost Giants I have are the old ones.

I do like Throg, though...

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

DaMangoSentinel posted:

We're doing an Ides of March event this week at our venue. (We only meet every other week). 600 points golden, number your characters 1-6 and play normally. On turn 3, you roll a d6 and that's the figure that betrays your opponent's force, and then your opponent does the same on their turn. It's a pretty fun event we've ran for a few years now.

I’ve played this before, too. Trust me, if you try to game the system and build a tentpole/5 generic team, invariably your tent pole will betray you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

New Rules Tweaks.

Nitpick away.