Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I have been attempting to meditate over the past couple of weeks but don't really know if I am doing anything at all. I am not sure I understand what the objective of it is. The internet is full of scattered and contradictory information, so that is really of no help.

So, help me! How do I start? What do I do? How do I improve? Where is a reliable source to learn more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Meditation is not one ubiquitous thing. Wanting to learn how to meditate is similar to wanting to learn how to work out. If you ask a power lifter, a dancer, a marathon runner, and a boxer what "working out" means, all of them will give you answers that have some basic similarities (focused, strenuous physical activity), but if you tried to work out based on hearsay you've gathered from them, you'd find yourself trying to make sense out of a disparate variety of methods aimed at different goals.

There are many Buddhist forms of meditation, all aimed at bringing the practitioner closer to enlightenment, which really is Buddhism's ultimate end-goal. There are many schools of Buddhism, and consequently there are many types of meditation that emphasize different qualities, such as mindfulness, loving-compassion, insight into non-duality, and so on. Tibetan style meditation often involves deep levels of visualization, while Zen meditation often involves clearing the mind of all thoughts and sitting in awareness of the present moment. There are Mahayana meditations based on feeling a sense of compassion for yourself, then extending it toward friends, then strangers, then enemies, for the goal of cultivating a virtuous desire for the wellbeing of all things. There is also walking meditation, eating meditation, and so on, aimed at cultivating awareness during all parts of your life and not letting yourself do things thoughtlessly and automatically.

There are some Hindu and Taoist forms of meditation as well, but I'm not very well-versed in them. Chinese Tai Chi and Qigong are sometimes used as movement-based meditations aimed at promoting good physical and mental health.

Secularized forms of meditation usually are aimed at bringing peacefulness and relaxation to the practitioner, bringing about a refreshed mental clarity, or for the sake of long-term self-improvement, though not necessarily with an end-goal like Buddhist enlightenment. Mindfulness meditation is really popular these days. It has its roots in Buddhism but can be done from a secular perspective easily, as there aren't really any religious figures or concepts that need to be directly invoked to practice it.

The book Mindfulness in Plain English is very good at giving a step-by-step introduction to mindfulness meditation. It'd probably be a good foundation for anyone interested in meditation, because alongside teaching how to practice vipassana meditation, it also provides context and discusses ways to get past various mental plateaus that might arise during meditation.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Here's the meditation thread from e/n last year that has tons of resource suggestions and personal stories

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773224&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Thank you both for these posts. I will dive into the material you suggest after the long weekend, but they definitely look like good places to start.

Hopefully some more reading will answer this, but I am not quite sure what my goal(s) is(are), which likely contributes to the problem. I don't know about enlightenment, but I do certainly want to be more deliberate and thoughtful in my actions, and more focused and clear in my thoughts. Not sure what is best for that but I look forward to finding out!

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Check out the Free app - Insight Timer

• Locked thread