Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jBrereton posted:

Luckily they do have backup plans, though, such as:

- Bring up The War.
- Announce We've Brexited Already.
- What Would Happen If David Davis Just Knocked Out Jean-Claude Juncker?
Can't wait for David Davis with a poo poo beard against Jean-Claude Juncker in blackface on Pay Per View.

e: A number 2 is the only even prime number and also what some people have described the current UK Brexit proposals as.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I still think the walkout from negotiations remains the plan, as trailed by the papers months ago. There have already been lines popping up this week like 'will Britain have any choice but to walk away if this continues?!'

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I wish you British a good September, at least you don't have hurricanes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

jabby posted:

I still think the walkout from negotiations remains the plan, as trailed by the papers months ago. There have already been lines popping up this week like 'will Britain have any choice but to walk away if this continues?!'

What even happens then? If we're headed for World Trade Organisation rules for overseas trade, the City of London will relocate to Frankfurt.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Spare a thought for Network Rail staff working at King’s Cross today. Hundreds of people have descended on the station to “say goodbye” to Albus Severus Potter, the second most stupidly named fictional character ever.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

What even happens then? If we're headed for World Trade Organisation rules for overseas trade, the City of London will relocate to Frankfurt.
Nobody knows because article 50 is a dog's breakfast and if a state just walks out of negotiations there is not really any provision for what happens next since there will be no formalised withdrawal document.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

the second most stupidly named fictional character ever.
Is the first Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Gort posted:

If you're headed to WTO, I'd say the moves of the financial sector will just be one of the hideous problems you have to deal with. The EU's hand in this negotiation is so much stronger it's unreal.

TinTower posted:

Spare a thought for Network Rail staff working at King’s Cross today. Hundreds of people have descended on the station to “say goodbye” to Albus Severus Potter, the second most stupidly named fictional character ever.

Am I missing some sort of major event on the Harry Potter calendar?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Junior G-man posted:

Am I missing some sort of major event on the Harry Potter calendar?

Well, the Hogwarts Express departs from Platform Nine and Three Quarters, on September 1st at 11am, but today is extra special because the timeline of the books indicates that today is the day on which the epilogue of Deathly Hallows takes place.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jabby posted:

I kind of agree, it looks like the only choice apart from agreeing to exactly what the EU wants: to be 100% fair to Davis, he's kind of got a point that the EU seem to be the inflexible ones here, rigidly sticking to a take-it-or-leave-it offer - but, considering that: (a)the offer itself seems pretty reasonable (we pay for the things we've committed to pay for and continue to benefit from them to the extent that we've paid for them); (b)Barnier has to work within his instructions, which have to satisfy 27 Member States as well as the EU itself, so some inflexibility is unavoidable; and, (c)the EU actually holds all the cards here, I don't quite know what else anyone could have expected to happen.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

TinTower posted:

Well, the Hogwarts Express departs from Platform Nine and Three Quarters, on September 1st at 11am, but today is extra special because the timeline of the books indicates that today is the day on which the epilogue of Deathly Hallows takes place.

Oddly, I think it's kind of sweet that people go to celebrate that?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

Well, the Hogwarts Express departs from Platform Nine and Three Quarters, on September 1st at 11am
Read that as September 11 at first. A second train has hit the South Platform.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Junior G-man posted:

JK Rowling being unrelentingly poo poo has kinda soured me on the whole franchise, unfortunately

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Is the first Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia?

Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez is probably up there, I'm sad to say.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Junior G-man posted:

Have you ever read those books? They are poo poo. I only read them because im always reading something and why not. They are loving painful. They are meant for children though to be fair.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Seaside Loafer posted:

Have you ever read those books? They are poo poo. I only read them because im always reading something and why not. They are loving painful. They are meant for children though to be fair.

I'm reading them to my 7-year-old nephew at the moment and I think they're pretty good. Up to the third book now and I can see why people like them so much.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Seaside Loafer posted:

I've read them several times and think they're pretty excellent, especially for kids.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's a bit weird to talk about any huge cultural phenomenon as if it were self-evidently poo poo, imo. It's art, not crack, if people are flocking to it in hordes it must have some appeal, whether it's Harry Potter, Dan Brown, Oasis, Premier League Football or Jeremy Corbyn.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm reading them to my 7-year-old nephew at the moment and I think they're pretty good. Up to the third book now and I can see why people like them so much.

Iirc the first 2 or 3 are mostly just dumb magical shenanigans which are pretty light hearted and have more focus on 'check out this strange new world and all these colourful characters' alongside kind of relatable schoolkid stuff, which makes them good for children.

The latter ones really go off the deep end when it becomes obvious Rowling becomes firmly wedged up her own rear end and they start leaving aside the fun stuff for a bunch of melodramatic drama and po-faced exposition to do with the big existential voldemort stuff. In a way it suffers the same thing Mass Effect did - while the enemy is a distant terrifying force in the background it's all good, but everything suffers when they actually turn up and the writer has to do justice to the build-up.

Also yes JK Rowling is an insufferable rear end. Here's one of those awful clickbait pages presenting her being an rear end as some sort of cutesy joke. Gulag immediately.
http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/...-owns-his-house

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

Also yes JK Rowling is an insufferable rear end. Here's one of those awful clickbait pages presenting her being an rear end as some sort of cutesy joke. Gulag immediately.
http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/...-owns-his-house

I think that's made up.

edit: yup http://www.snopes.com/jk-rowling-house-troll/

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

I'm just linking him.

He's the lolcow of the far left

gently caress off back to 4chan you useless loving cretin.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

white rabbit you horrible lot

Also no nerd event shrine has ever surpassed the Ianto Jones one in Cardiff

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Borrovan posted:

I kind of agree, it looks like the only choice apart from agreeing to exactly what the EU wants: to be 100% fair to Davis, he's kind of got a point that the EU seem to be the inflexible ones here, rigidly sticking to a take-it-or-leave-it offer - but, considering that: (a)the offer itself seems pretty reasonable (we pay for the things we've committed to pay for and continue to benefit from them to the extent that we've paid for them); (b)Barnier has to work within his instructions, which have to satisfy 27 Member States as well as the EU itself, so some inflexibility is unavoidable; and, (c)the EU actually holds all the cards here, I don't quite know what else anyone could have expected to happen.

Britain won't walk away permanently. Back in July all the papers reported that May was planning to temporarily walk away from negotiations to show how 'tough' Britain was. This is before any serious negotiations had even started, naturally. The leak stated that the move was purely for her home audience and would have no bearing on how well the negotiations were or weren't going. It even said the walk-out was planned for September.

Downing Street denied planning a staged walk out to boost popularity with Brexit voters, so naturally as we approach September we start to see increasing speculation from 'senior figures' that Britain will be 'forced' to walk out of talks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

It's art, not crack, if people are flocking to it in hordes it must have some appeal
Things can have appeal and still be poo poo.

JFairfax posted:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Yeah the first three(ish) are fun stories for kids. The fourth one is a gigantic mess (and I think coincided in Rowling deciding she was too cool for editors or something resulting in a book longer than the previous three combined) and from then on it drifts rapidly into grim-dark evil wizards killing everyone. It sort of made sense if you read the first one when you were ten and carried on reading one a year or whenever they came out but now the series as a whole is a weird mix of styles that doesn't really work for younger or older readers if you read them back to back.

Also Harry is an unlikable dickhead and I hate him.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer
His dark materials is also for kids but has big words and a story. Reading your kids Harry Potter is going to result in them being console gamers, anime haters and likers of football. Dangerously normal. They'll probably get some awful high paying job in law or accounting. *spits*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Also Harry is an unlikable dickhead and I hate him.
One more for the list.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Junior G-man posted:

I've read them several times and think they're pretty excellent, especially for kids.
As an adult they are worth a 'see what the fuss is about' spin through but are you seriously saying you read them yourself several times? Mate, PM me I'll dump my whole dopey ebook/pdf collection on you, even the bloody star trek books are superior.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Magic is bullshit!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Regarde Aduck posted:

His dark materials is also for kids but has big words and a story. Reading your kids Harry Potter is going to result in them being console gamers, anime haters and likers of football. Dangerously normal. They'll probably get some awful high paying job in law or accounting. *spits*

A Correct Opinion. I actually started reading this well before Harry Potter and I had forgotten how much I loved it as a kid. It's actually well written and emotionally engaging and complex and yet still very child friendly.

Though maybe the bit where they actually go to hell then murder God was a bit full on?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I was the target age audience growing up with them, and the characters, and that was pretty cool at the time.

Retrospectively though, I think only the earlier books really hold up because they are light-hearted kids fantasy, while the rest got more grim, but in an awkward way. Like, suddenly the grandfatherly Dumbledore is revealed to have been a fash, and gay for wizard Hitler in his youth. Very jarring tonal shifts.

Gotta say though, the weirdest scene in the books is when Harry joins that club, fucks an enchanted pig's head for initiation, and then incendios money in front of the homeless in Diagon Alley.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ThomasPaine posted:

A Correct Opinion. I actually started reading this well before Harry Potter and I had forgotten how much I loved it as a kid. It's actually well written and emotionally engaging and complex and yet still very child friendly.

Though maybe the bit where they actually go to hell then murder God was a bit full on?

don't they also have underage sex at one point?

not that I minded when I was a lad

e: his dark materials ruled though, heres some badass girl and her demonic pokemon, heres some guy now hes got a magic knife AND HIS FINGERS HAVE BEEN CUT OFF!

thats the kinda poo poo kids like

tragic ending that doesnt make much sense though, always annoyed me

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 1, 2017

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm currently nine books deep into Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth series so any actual good fantasy recomendations would be very, very welcome.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Dawn Butler replaces Sarah Champion as minister for equalities

First thing that jumps out is that she voted against the whip in the withdrawal bill, so chalk up another remain MP in the shadow cabinet.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Mr Phillby posted:

I'm currently nine books deep into Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth series so any actual good fantasy recomendations would be very, very welcome.

David Gemmell. Personal favourites are The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend, White Wolf and The Swords of Night and Day. Or the first three books of the Rigante series. As stand-alones, Echoes of the Great Song and Dark Moon.

Also why the gently caress are you reading objectivist literature?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Amber Spyglass had a touch of the Goblet of Fire's about it for me in that it was suddenly twice the size of the other books and much less memorable for it. The first two were great but I can't remember much of the third book other than the god stuff and the animals with wheels. I'd be more interested to re-read HDM than HP though for sure.

Also been meaning to re-read The Kin by Peter Dickinson, while we're on the subject of large books/series we enjoyed when we were ten-ish.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tory peer says Brexit is good because young people will be able to work longer hours posted:

A Tory peer has argued Brexit is a good thing because it will allow young people to work longer hours.

Lord Harris, a retail tycoon estimated to be worth more than £100m, claimed he could only employ staff for 35 hours a week under current EU laws.
However, the European Working Time Directive states employees should not be forced to work longer than 48 hours, and they can opt-out if they decide.

During an interview on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Lord Harris was asked to explain how leaving the EU would help young people.

He said: “It will give us more opportunity. It will give younger people more opportunity in this country and we won’t be controlled…”
When asked why, he replied: “Because we’ll have more freedom of laws.”

Asked what's wrong with the current laws, Lord Harris said: “Well if you take a retailer, we can only keep our staff on for 35 hours a week, I think it is now.”
After admitting "we haven't done too badly" when the presenter told him "you've done alright out of it," he added: "I just feel we would be better off out of the EU."
Source: Indy

Mr Phillby posted:

Depends what sort of fantasy you're looking for.

His Dark Materials was pretty good, 99% of anything by Pratchett, A Song of Ice and Fire (it's not too bad, I prefer blanking out infront of Game of Thrones though), and Nick Clegg's Politics: Between the Extremes (more of a tragi-comedy). :v:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Mr Phillby posted:

Those books are pretty much lolbertarianism mixed with weird fetishes. What with all the anti-communist rants, pain dildos, and the "good guys" collecting severed ears because it disheartens the evil people from being quite so evil.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

Things can have appeal and still be poo poo.

FOBTs basically are crack, they don't count. Trump and Bojo are terrible at their jobs and in their oversized negative affect on the world, but the UKMT spends plenty of time gawping at their spectacle. Greggs is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
In every fantasy series that gets popular enough, there will almost certainly come a point where the author gets too big for their britches and the editors lose control. This is also the point where the books suddenly double in size and generally devolve into a meandering mess of roughly one bazillion plotlines that mostly get in each other's way.

• Locked thread