Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Let's face it, whoever comes out of a leadership contest will be hailed as a hero in the press and receive the kind of praise that would make Kanye blush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Any discussion of Davidson's leadership potential usually starts with her being parachuted into a safe Tory seat, but unless there is an additional rule for being PM (which I am unaware of) it's always worth remembering that you don't have to be an MP or a Peer to be a Minister.

Now, obviously it would go down terribly if the Tories tried this, you can imagine Labour hammering them about having an unelected leader until the cows come home. But it is still techincally possible to do it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Hammond as major 2.0

I think Williamson has a decent shot in the not too distant future if he wants it - seems quite popular with the parliamentary party (cabinet and backbenches) and he's a rapid riser. Being a non-oxbrige Yorkshireman and former businessman might play well with party internal electoral calculus.

Though the whole whip to leader thing is a hard path especially if you have to crack a lot of heads in a minority government

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Nobody is anybody 2.0. Blair's political style is dead and its acolytes have nothing to replace it with because they are poo poo people who jumped on a gravy train and convinced themselves it would run forever due to being high on their own farts for nearly two loving decades :rip:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The current head of state is Elizabeth 2.0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

See now you just make me think that if the libertarian techbros ever assumed power then the resultant feudal descent would have the most agonizing ruler titles.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, UKMT is unironically way better for non-fiction recommendations. And seeing as bad fantasy/scifi & non-fiction are all I can be arsed reading now, I just end up re-reading Philip K Dick & Terry Pratchett & feel absolutely OK for it.
Have you read Blindsight, by Peter Watts?

That's some good sci-fi, and coal-black and depressing like a UKMT book recommendation should be

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Zephro posted:

That's some good sci-fi, and coal-black and depressing like a UKMT book recommendation should be

(Blindsight spoiler)

The vampire felt so unnecessary to the story.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
The Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McClellan starts with a regicide/revolution and then becomes a war story with a B plot about a private investigator. It's pretty brilliant.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Zephro posted:

It's very up its own arse and it feels like he wanted to do 3 books, the one with the aliens, another one about a virtual reality world, and another one about vampires but never came up with a story hook good enough for any of them.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, and she's a wazzock, and all!! :c00lbert:

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Last book derail with a tenuous political link ive just started Captain Corellis Mandolin (haven't seen film) and there is an absolutely blinding first person fascist rant from Mussolini somewhere in the first 50 pages. It does end up with him shooting a cat in the head so avoid if that upsets you but very much enjoying the book so far despite there not being any aliens or dragons and that

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zephro posted:

Is that the one where humanity is attacked by hyper-intelligent naturally occurring space robots because trying to comprehend our concept of love gives them brain spasms? And we're eventually replaced on Earth by genetically resurrected autistic vampires?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is that the one where humanity is attacked by hyper-intelligent naturally occurring space robots because trying to comprehend our concept of love gives them brain spasms? And we're eventually replaced on Earth by genetically resurrected autistic vampires?

Right, okay, so I'm thinking this is a non-fiction book, yeah?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Scifi: Wolfhound Century, perhaps?

As fiction goes, Red Plenty should really be at the top of the UKMT reading list.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
If you like space lesbians, I found A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet enjoyable. :shobon:

forkboy84 posted:

Anyway, Ruth Davidson is currently getting a bit of bad press up here because the new Tory MP for Moray (& part-time football referee) has made some really iffy comments about Travellers & Davidson dismissed it as a local issue rather than a treating it as a Tory MP being casually racist towards one of the most persecuted minorities in the country.

To be honest, its nothing new for the Tories; remember when the man who had his first leadership bill killed off by Widdie's not-so-stealth anti-semitism and anti-ziganism run a horrendously anti-Traveller election campaign?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

quote:

Give your imagination permission to engage with some unlikely facts: in the 1950s, the USSR was one of the growth stars of the planetary economy, second only to Japan in the speed with which it was hauling itself up from the wreckage of the war years. And this is on the basis not of the official Soviet figures of the time, or even of the CIA's anxious recalculations of them, but of the figures arrived at after the Soviet Union's fall by sceptical historians with access to the archives. The Soviet economy grew through the second half of the 50s at 5%, 6%, 7% a year. As Paul Krugman has mischievously pointed out, the USSR's growth record in the 50s elicited exactly the same awed commentary as Chinese and Indian growth does today. Admittedly, "growth" did not mean exactly the same thing in the Soviet context that it did in, say, the American one (average for the period 3.3% a year) or in the British one (average: 1.9%; have a stale crumpet). Soviet growth was counted differently, was biased massively towards heavy industry and did not necessarily imply a matching growth in living standards.

You have to know, you have to know. This was a real period in real history. There was a brief but glorious moment when all establishment wisdom said: yes, the Soviets will bury us.

But just staring at the GDP tables isn't enough - to empathize, one needs people and narratives.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ronya what are you talking about?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Miftan posted:

Ronya what are you talking about?

The existence of people as individuals proves that Tony Blair Thought is the immortal science.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Zephro posted:

It's actually very badly written, it's almost like a Ulillillia book in how dense of a slog it is.

Go read "The Stars My Destination" instead, or the Cities in Flight quadrilogy.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Counterpoint: I thought it was a really good, tense and thought-provoking book.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

It's actually very badly written, it's almost like a Ulillillia book in how dense of a slog it is.
Yeah, I can't believe nobody's mentioned The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters yet.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mozi posted:

Counterpoint: I thought it was a really good, tense and thought-provoking book.

It is, but that doesn't mean it can't also have pretty poor prose.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

ronya posted:

(Blindsight spoiler)

The vampire felt so unnecessary to the story.
Eh, I dunno. He's sort of a human analogue of the starfish-aliens and the whole idea that consciousness not only isn't necessary for intelligence but it is an active impediment to it and that self-awareness is just a weird evolutionary mistake that won't survive contact with something not hampered by it.

quote:

It's actually very badly written
This is just Objectively Wrong™ though

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Renaissance Robot posted:

No, it's the one where he takes some intriguing results from psychology that suggest that conscious thought is quite often an impediment to intelligence / good reasoning and extrapolates from them to construct a fun semi-plausible evolutionary argument that it's a weird quirk specific to humans, maybe as a result of sexual selection, and that if what you want is actual intelligence you'd be better of jettisoning it. Then he builds some pretty cool aliens based on his career as a marine biologist studying starfish, with an even cooler sideline in a time-sharing central nervous system taken straight from an actually-existing species of spider, and has them make First Contact. There are no robots and he's got no problem with emotions. There are vampires but they're basically human versions of the aliens, ie creatures that are intelligent but not conscious and better off as a result. It's basically Fun Extrapolations On Some Deeply Weird Stuff That Actually Exists in Biology, With A Spaceship and if you don't like that then why are you even reading scifi I mean seriously

edit: also if you don't find the appendix where he constructs the fictional history for vampires amusing then you are literally dead to me because it's a great example of how to do that sort of thing, plus also quite funny and the villain of the piece is a giant and comically unethical big pharma company

The sequel wasn't very good though

Zephro fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 1, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

William Hague 2 Electric Boogaloo. The country could use the entertainment.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
(more Blindsight spoilers)

Zephro posted:

Eh, I dunno. He's sort of a human analogue of the starfish-aliens and the whole idea that consciousness not only isn't necessary for intelligence but it is an active impediment to it and that self-awareness is just a weird evolutionary mistake that won't survive contact with something not hampered by it.

Watts doesn't seem able to decide whether or not his vampire is conscious or p-zombie-flavoured - either way it doesn't mesh well with the rest of the narrative. The more conscious, ever more irrelevant to the alien. The less conscious, the less novel and shocking the alien is.

The hubris aesthetic of transhumanism being failed by its humanity is rather undermined by the superintelligent mentat not being transhuman, in contrast to the rest of the crew - for hard sci-fi there is remarkable disinterest in the HOLY poo poo WE ENGINEERED AN ENTIRELY NEW SAPIENT SPECIES - NOW, SAY, WHAT IS IT LIKE TO BE A BAT? side of things; it's as if the narrative itself doesn't quite care about hardness in this one respect and instead cares about mythology apologetics. Sore thumbs and the editors that need to prick them.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I mean, obviously if it turned out we could resurrect an extinct, highly intelligent but psychopathic species of hominid whose chief source of food was Homo Sapiens, then of course big corporations would want to do that because psychopathy and intelligence are an excellent combination of traits to have in management, so of course we'd do it and put them in charge of everything, because it means more money for shareholders, even if what they really want to do is literally eat us.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Zephro posted:

I mean, obviously if it turned out we could resurrect an extinct, highly intelligent but psychopathic species of hominid whose chief source of food was Homo Sapiens, then of course big corporations would want to do that because psychopathy and intelligence are an excellent combination of traits to have in management, so of course we'd do it and put them in charge of everything, because it means more money for shareholders, even if what they really want to do is literally eat us.

it's a fun and interesting concept that could underpin an entire sci-fi novel by itself

in fact, it should have

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Last book derail with a tenuous political link ive just started Captain Corellis Mandolin (haven't seen film) and there is an absolutely blinding first person fascist rant from Mussolini somewhere in the first 50 pages. It does end up with him shooting a cat in the head so avoid if that upsets you but very much enjoying the book so far despite there not being any aliens or dragons and that

Louis De Bernieres is fantastic, everyone read all of his books but especially the South American ones.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

I get so irrationally mad that she's called Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith (why yes, I copy & pasted her title). She's not the 2nd Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. She's the 1st. Elizabeth the First was Queen of England, Ireland and pretended to be Queen of France, as is the English monarchical tradition. Grumble grumble.

Why I get so mad about something that matters so little is inexplicable. Few things matter less to me than the title of a monarch but there you go.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

I get so irrationally mad that she's called Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith (why yes, I copy & pasted her title). She's not the 2nd Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. She's the 1st. Elizabeth the First was Queen of England, Ireland and pretended to be Queen of France, as is the English monarchical tradition. Grumble grumble.

Why I get so mad about something that matters so little is inexplicable. Few things matter less to me than the title of a monarch but there you go.

It's because you're a goon

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

It's because you're a goon

Yeah, this is true. At least normally my worst goony tendencies are restricted to music.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

The convention with the nobs is that they use the highest regnal number that has ever existed in any of the constituent kingdoms. So if Charlie decided to take Alexander as a regnal name he'd be Alexander IV or whatever the increment is after the last King Alexander of Scotland, despite there never being an Alexander in England or the UK. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
When I first started figuring out stuff about the UK before moving here, I read "HMRC" everywhere as the tax agency and was wondering what the gently caress it even meant. When I found out HM stood for "Her Majesty's" I laughed, it's just so medieval.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

People in Scotland did actually chisel the II off of postboxes in the 50s.

This is why Charles is going to call himself George VII instead of Charles III, to stop people from arguing about the numbering. And because he doesn't want to be executed or exiled like his da was hoping when he named him.

Although technically two of those Georges were not by the Grace of God King of the United Kingdom, and most of them weren't of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

communism bitch posted:

The convention with the nobs is that they use the highest regnal number that has ever existed in any of the constituent kingdoms. So if Charlie decided to take Alexander as a regnal name he'd be Alexander IV or whatever the increment is after the last King Alexander of Scotland, despite there never being an Alexander in England or the UK. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
They made James VI be James I of England when he united the crowns, although I guess that was a looser union. Australia and New Zealand have Liz II despite never having had a Liz I though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

When I first started figuring out stuff about the UK before moving here, I read "HMRC" everywhere as the tax agency and was wondering what the gently caress it even meant. When I found out HM stood for "Her Majesty's" I laughed, it's just so medieval.

It's also, sort of constitutionally, strictly correct. The government derives its authority to govern from the sovereign. In practice it pays the army, but legally it is because the queen legitimizes it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

People in Scotland did actually chisel the II off of postboxes in the 50s.

This is why Charles is going to call himself George VII instead of Charles III, to stop people from arguing about the numbering. And because he doesn't want to be executed or exiled like his da was hoping when he named him.

Although technically two of those Georges were not by the Grace of God King of the United Kingdom, and most of them weren't of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

They made James VI be James I of England when he united the crowns, although I guess that was a looser union. Australia and New Zealand have Liz II despite never having had a Liz I though.

Yeah it might even be a 20th century convention, I don't know exactly when it came in, but I don't think it's actually needed implementing so far.

The Charles going for George thing is funny because he doesn't want to be historically associated with the previous Charleseseses but he apparently plans on being super interventionist with "his" governments and has ideas about running the country himself. It's going to be a shock to the public and political system after decades of Liz's masterly inactivity. I wonder if it might be what finishes the Windsors for good.

The first interesting thing to look out for with Charles will be to see if he's appointed Head of the Commonwealth - although George VI and Liz have been appointed as a matter of course it's not a hereditary title. Apparently there are certain members of the Commonwealth who are looking to make a point with Charles by not appointing him, or by making it as difficult as possible for him to get appointed.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 1, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is interesting that the entire survival of the monarchy in the modern day is predicated on Liz who, frankly, is a master politician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

communism bitch posted:

Yeah it might even be a 20th century convention, I don't know exactly when it came in, but I don't think it's actually needed implementing so far.

The Charles going for George thing is funny because he doesn't want to be historically associated with the previous Charleseseses but he apparently plans on being super interventionist with "his" governments and has ideas about running the country himself. It's going to be a shock to the public and political system after decades of Liz's masterly inactivity. I wonder if it might be what finishes the Windsors for good..

Coincidentally I'm currently watching To Play The King (sequel to the good House of Cards) which is this but in the 90s. Has a Princess Di expy too!

• Locked thread