Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
What all's on Comixology Unlimited, and is there an app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
In general, how much is a single issue these days? I've seen cover prices from 99 cents to $4.99. It's weird to imagine buying a physical comic, originally printed and priced cheaply enough for children, could be a marker of wealth and privilege.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zoro posted:

I'm reading an old issue of Miles Morales Spider-Man and all I can think now is why doesn't one of the richer superheroes open a charter school specifically made to help the teen superheroes balance their school and superhero life?
Some real talk New York City education politics: I can't imagine that going well.

Remember that charters are actually publicly funded despite receiving a lot of money from donors and not necessarily complying with state regulations. This is why it's important for most charters to have lottery systems in order to seem fair and not just be handpicking the best and brightest. So right off the back, there would be a lot of push-back to what would essentially be a publicly funded Xavier Academy. But you would have to probably pitch it as Mutant/Superhuman friendly then strictly tailored for them. That's hard to sell while still presenting the fact that you have open enrollment. Also, dealing with a board of directors would be a huge hassle. Forget an Xavier style Danger Room because suddenly you have to deal with having an Anti-Mutant rich rear end in a top hat who is on your board of trustees trying to sway your decision making because of how he thinks muties are supposed to be. Not to mention you'll end up in the State Test Score rat race that most charters end up in which really seems like a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. If your tests scores are low, better believe you're going to get pressure to make sure nobody is fighting any Magnetos or poo poo between the months of February and April. But you got to figure if your test scores are too high then that Anti-Mutant trustee who is still baffingly on your board is going to say, "Well, it was probably because ya got one of those Jean Greys or what have you in your school." And for better or for worse ant-charter folks are going to question your data.

But this is all assuming that you have found your own site for your school which while possible (there are a few charters that do a good job at this), is pretty hard. Co-locating like most charters do would be a bitch to deal with for tons of reasons. I mean how are you going to justify to the parents of the school downstairs that the Wrecking Crew is loitering outside during pick-up like half of the time? But that isn't the worst of it. Say you do get a Danger Room style training facility. Guess what? New York City law--not sure about state--requires equitable facilities between co-locating schools. So the non-superpowered kids downstairs also need to have a Danger Room.

Working at a charter school has made working at Xavier's seem like a cake walk.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A Strange Aeon posted:

In general, how much is a single issue these days? I've seen cover prices from 99 cents to $4.99. It's weird to imagine buying a physical comic, originally printed and priced cheaply enough for children, could be a marker of wealth and privilege.

Standard is 3.99.

However, DC's biweekly books is 2.99, some indies that started out at that price are also still 2.99. Marvel frequently adds backup stories to new #1s to justify a 4.99 price tag, and some annuals and event books get even more expensive per issue.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Some real talk New York City education politics: I can't imagine that going well.

Remember that charters are actually publicly funded despite receiving a lot of money from donors and not necessarily complying with state regulations. This is why it's important for most charters to have lottery systems in order to seem fair and not just be handpicking the best and brightest. So right off the back, there would be a lot of push-back to what would essentially be a publicly funded Xavier Academy. But you would have to probably pitch it as Mutant/Superhuman friendly then strictly tailored for them. That's hard to sell while still presenting the fact that you have open enrollment. Also, dealing with a board of directors would be a huge hassle. Forget an Xavier style Danger Room because suddenly you have to deal with having an Anti-Mutant rich rear end in a top hat who is on your board of trustees trying to sway your decision making because of how he thinks muties are supposed to be. Not to mention you'll end up in the State Test Score rat race that most charters end up in which really seems like a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. If your tests scores are low, better believe you're going to get pressure to make sure nobody is fighting any Magnetos or poo poo between the months of February and April. But you got to figure if your test scores are too high then that Anti-Mutant trustee who is still baffingly on your board is going to say, "Well, it was probably because ya got one of those Jean Greys or what have you in your school." And for better or for worse ant-charter folks are going to question your data.

But this is all assuming that you have found your own site for your school which while possible (there are a few charters that do a good job at this), is pretty hard. Co-locating like most charters do would be a bitch to deal with for tons of reasons. I mean how are you going to justify to the parents of the school downstairs that the Wrecking Crew is loitering outside during pick-up like half of the time? But that isn't the worst of it. Say you do get a Danger Room style training facility. Guess what? New York City law--not sure about state--requires equitable facilities between co-locating schools. So the non-superpowered kids downstairs also need to have a Danger Room.

Working at a charter school has made working at Xavier's seem like a cake walk.

I mean, I didn't realize charter schools were like that, but, also, it's comics book. If you can make the audience believe a man can fly, I'm sure you can make an audience believe the Avengers can have a secret school for their teen heroes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Roth posted:

Standard is 3.99.

However, DC's biweekly books is 2.99, some indies that started out at that price are also still 2.99. Marvel frequently adds backup stories to new #1s to justify a 4.99 price tag, and some annuals and event books get even more expensive per issue.

Also, this is for A Single Comic. This isn't factoring in that on any given week there can be anywhere from 10 to 30 good books being released. Now times that by 4 weeks in a month and you're looking at hundreds of dollars being dropped on comics alone. That's not something everyone can just do.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

How the hell is Mike Deodato still getting to "draw" comic books? His art looks like he posed some models in Source Film Maker and then traced over them. The panels in Star Wars Vader Down look like late 90s CGI work from a video game

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 3, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

omg chael crash posted:

How do the hell is Mike Deodato still getting to "draw" comic books? His art looks like he posed some models in Source Film Maker and then traced over them. The panels in Star Wars Vader Down look like late 90s CGI work from a video game

Is he generally good with deadlines? Land still gets a lot of work because he's rarely late. At the same time, art that looks "photorealistic" (for want of a better term) is usually going to be more popular than art that's "stylised" in superhero comics. Granted, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But there's plenty of people who'd say that Greg Land is a better artist than, say, Erica Henderson solely because his art is less cartoony.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Also, and I'm not going to go into any details, but it's easy as hell to pirate a poo poo ton of comics. Every once in awhile someone pokes their head into the forum saying something like "I'm going to read all of Batman, from the beginning" or "I'm slowly working through every Marvel Comic starting in 1961," and it's pretty obvious they just downloaded some 10 gig mega pack

Reading a lot of early DC basically requires you to spend an absurd sum or to pirate books. Reading all of Marvel requires a MU subscription and to pick up some extra books here or there. The CMRO website has a link to the MU comic if you want to read t that way. That's up to the 70s at least. I think it starts getting thinner there, but then fills out again as you get into the 80s.

Marvel was also way ahead of DC in republishing their books so you can get stuff like the Essentials collections for pretty cheap if you buy used and want to read print. I picked up 20 collections last week for 80 CAD off Kijiji... black and white but like I said I like physical books.

Skwirl posted:

I get the person who wants to read every Batman comic in chronological order, I don't understand the person who reads every Marvel comic in chronological order; even if the first 20 years of Marvel probably has more good comics than the first 20 years of Batman.

There's a lot of good comics in early Marvel, and you only know that if you read them. Reading them in context also casts them in a different light.

I mean, I could be reading secret empire instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is he generally good with deadlines? Land still gets a lot of work because he's rarely late. At the same time, art that looks "photorealistic" (for want of a better term) is usually going to be more popular than art that's "stylised" in superhero comics. Granted, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But there's plenty of people who'd say that Greg Land is a better artist than, say, Erica Henderson solely because his art is less cartoony.

Deodato's old agent said that Mike and his studio guys could churn out a complete comic in 7 days if need be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jordan7hm posted:

There's a lot of good comics in early Marvel, and you only know that if you read them. Reading them in context also casts them in a different light.

I mean, I could be reading secret empire instead.

The guy I'm thinking of was specifically reading them in published order, which was the weird part to me (and something not easily done without downloading a megapack that has them ordered that way, if you tried to do that on the Marvel Unlimited you'd spend more time switching between series than you would reading anything).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I used to be a huge digital comic pirate and I had an enormous library so a complete run of DC or Marvel in chronilogical order would be insane.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I used to be a huge digital comic pirate and I had an enormous library so a complete run of DC or Marvel in chronilogical order would be insane.

The reading list for Marvel from FF1 to 1990 is like 8000 comics, and that excludes a bunch of stuff, like all the war and western stuff Marvel was putting out.

DC would be even more than that given Marvel was only releasing a handful of titles each month for most of the 60s.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Jordan7hm posted:

The reading list for Marvel from FF1 to 1990 is like 8000 comics, and that excludes a bunch of stuff, like all the war and western stuff Marvel was putting out.

DC would be even more than that given Marvel was only releasing a handful of titles each month for most of the 60s.

Is FF1 what people cite as when "the Marvel Age" of comics begins? I guess it gets sticky with all the other publishers they absorbed, but certain characters still in the current continuity had origins in the pre-Marvel era--the original Human Torch, for instance. (no idea if that character is still in current continuity, but you know what I mean)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is FF1 what people cite as when "the Marvel Age" of comics begins? I guess it gets sticky with all the other publishers they absorbed, but certain characters still in the current continuity had origins in the pre-Marvel era--the original Human Torch, for instance. (no idea if that character is still in current continuity, but you know what I mean)

Pretty much yeah. Ant-Man in astonish tales #27 (29 really), FF1, Thor in JIM #83, and Incrediblr Hulk #1 were the start of the shared superhero universe.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Your digital copy of New Mutants #98 is worth $3. Same for your digital copy of Amazing Fantasy #15.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I was reading some comics and I think I noticed a problem with some of the new Heroes that Marvel has put out: they haven't really invested enough in giving them unique villains. A hero is only as good as their villain, after all.

For example, unless I'm mistaken, I was reading Riri Williams as ironheart and she has yet to get an original villain. All her villains are hand-me-downs. As a result, there isn't that same kind of direct connection to her villians that other Heroes have and it really takes away lot of heat from the comic.

They really should consider giving the hero's more villains that have a personal connection to them to get that kind of hype that people need in their comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ferrule posted:

Your digital copy of New Mutants #98 is worth $3. Same for your digital copy of Amazing Fantasy #15.

Actually it's worth nothing at all, because you have no way to resell it. But people who are buying floppies because they think they're going to buy the next Amazing Fantasy #15 are going to lose a lot of money on a lot of junk.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Skwirl posted:

Actually it's worth nothing at all, because you have no way to resell it. But people who are buying floppies because they think they're going to buy the next Amazing Fantasy #15 are going to lose a lot of money on a lot of junk.

No modern Comics are going to be collectible in that sense. They are mass-produced and too many people are taking care of them. If those factors are present, then a comic's value will never go up, only down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zoro posted:

No modern Comics are going to be collectible in that sense. They are mass-produced and too many people are taking care of them. If those factors are present, then a comic's value will never go up, only down.

I bet there's a decent number of #1s coming out of Image that will be worth a decent chunk of change eventually, obviously not as much as Amazing Fantasy #15, but something.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I'm gonna try to make a hot buck on my first-run Captain Marvel #1 when the movie comes out.

And by that I mean I'm literally going to try to make even a dollar.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I only brought it up because I was talking with the owner of my LCS about this today. Seem ASM 361, which I bought years ago through my pull list, has shot up in value on account of movie rumors.

Now, I'm not into the whole "comics as an investment" thing but I do have quite a few worth some dough and I'm sure some newer ones will do the same.

poo poo, if there's a Gwenpool movie?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fox, Sony and Disney would need to come together for a Gwenpool flick and that poo poo ain't hapening.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I know, but the point I'm making is there are new characters out there, and if/when/maybe they appear in movies, TV shows, whatever, it translates into a surge in the physical market.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

RandallODim posted:

I'm gonna try to make a hot buck on my first-run Captain Marvel #1 when the movie comes out.

And by that I mean I'm literally going to try to make even a dollar.

Is Captain Marvel worth reading? With the 1/2 off sale, I was considering picking her up.

On the subject of books I picked up because they were cheap, Ironheart is okay, but a little boring: she needs a nemesis and she needs some more supporting characters. The character itself -- this kind of self-righteous but insecure genius is a nice contrast to Tony: she has the moral strength of character and the ability to think on her feet, but she's more insecure due to her age. She feels a bit relatable, actually -- is good enough, but she feels underdeveloped. She really needs a villain and she needs someone other than the A.I. of Tony Stark. The A.I. of Tony Stark plays off her well-enough, but it isn't a hit out of the park. I think they really shot themselves in the foot killing off Natalie before the series even began because she seems to play off her well in flashbacks and would probably be better if she was in the present.

All in all, she may not survive in the role for long due to the cut throat nature of comics, but I think she has potential but she needs more stuff supporting her story and giving it purpose and direction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Fox, Sony and Disney would need to come together for a Gwenpool flick and that poo poo ain't hapening.

What's Sony have to do with it? Do they own Howard the Duck and she technically first showed up in that comic?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Zoro posted:

Is Captain Marvel worth reading? With the 1/2 off sale, I was considering picking her up.

Eeeeeeeeeeh. The first issue is good, which is one of the reasons I'd actually be sad to part with it in particular, but the first arc wasn't great, and I didn't follow it longer than I think an issue beyond that (though if I remember correctly that issue was a done-in-one day in the life which was fun). Certainly give it a shot if you're interested, but don't expect anything revelatory.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

What's Sony have to do with it? Do they own Howard the Duck and she technically first showed up in that comic?

She's based on Gwen Stacy, no matter how much back-peddling Marvel has done on it. She debuted on a Gwen Stacy cover month variant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

She's based on Gwen Stacy, no matter how much back-peddling Marvel has done on it. She debuted on a Gwen Stacy cover month variant.

Oh yeah, I somehow dropped that from my head, but Disney and Sony are working together now and Fox seems to at least get along with Marvel on Television. I don't think it's impossible. I also don't think it'd be a good idea, Gwenpool is clearly a cartoon.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

She's similar to but legally distinct from Gwen Stacy. :)

That's the defense I would make it court, at least.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So Rhyno, are the Epic Collections doing better than the Essentials?

A Strange Aeon posted:

Jim Hammond is still around, he was in James Robinson's Invaders last I saw him. I think the original comics that the Timely characters appeared in have technically been retconned and replaced with like, the Roy Thomas Invaders or something. None of Captain America's villains from the Kirby/Simon material have appeared since then, which if true is no big loss, most of them were yellow peril types, from memory.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I recently cancelled Marvel Unlimited and Gwenpool is one of the books I missed, has she even met Deadpool?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zoro posted:

She's similar to but legally distinct from Gwen Stacy. :)

That's the defense I would make it court, at least.

Pretty flimsy defense but it might shake out I guess.

Lightning Lord posted:

So Rhyno, are the Epic Collections doing better than the Essentials?

Not for us!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

I recently cancelled Marvel Unlimited and Gwenpool is one of the books I missed, has she even met Deadpool?

Yes. And she didn't know how to effectively deal with him because she doesn't like him as a character and didn't read his book

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Yes. And she didn't know how to effectively deal with him because she doesn't like him as a character and didn't read his book

That is loving perfect. Although when she first arrived in the 616, she probably should have known enough about him through osmosis from reading other books.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Skwirl posted:

Gwenpool and Deadpool meeting is one of the high points of her book.

Naturally, they fight, and Gwen is winning because it's her book and she's the main character, but once Deadpool realizes she's a fourth wall breaker too, he overcomes her with LITERAL POPULARITY POWER. It's great. :allears:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

. Say you do get a Danger Room style training facility. Guess what? New York City law--not sure about state--requires equitable facilities between co-locating schools. So the non-superpowered kids downstairs also need to have a Danger Room.

Back in my day, us non powered folks called it dodge ball.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Skwirl posted:

That is loving perfect. Although when she first arrived in the 616, she probably should have known enough about him through osmosis from reading other books.

It's a lovely moment but then, the whole series has been a delight.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Sentinel Red posted:

It's a lovely moment but then, the whole series has been a delight.

Honestly, the one problem I had with that issue is it was drawn by Deadpool's artist... up until Deadpool takes the reigns, at which point Gurihiru art kicks in, which should... really be the other way around.

Even then, it's a minuscule gripe of an otherwise spectacular issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I hear there's a Teen Titans/Teen Titans Go crossover episode

• Locked thread