Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Ravage 2099 was the first comic series I ever started with Issue #1 with as a kid and as such, has a large place in my heart even though it's a piece of poo poo. But it's a lovable piece of poo poo. It's quite hilarious to see the character's entire look and direction change roughly every 8 issues in a desperate attempt to make it into anything sustainable. I remember even as a kid the series was an instant punchline in Wizard and people ripped on the awful concept, costume, and writing, especially since Stan Lee was associated with it.

In just 33 issues, the main character goes on quite a journey:

1. Starts out as a snooty effete corporate guy who doesn't believe his company is polluting
2. Gets framed and nearly killed by the same company, instantly cuts his pony tail off, grows a scruffy beard, gets an earring, starts talking like Lobo, and assembles a costume out of literal garbage
3. Gets mutated by spending time on Hellrock, randomly gains the power to shoot LASERS out of his hands. He uses this power maybe twice before it is never mentioned again.
4. Gains a weird x-ray monocle he starts wearing on his eye, so now he looks like a garbage man pirate
5. His mutation continues to progress, now he has spikes jutting out of his head and has lost the beard and earring. No longer talks like Lobo, but is basically a transparent attempt at Wolverine 2099.
~Dumps his entire supporting cast from the previous issues and starts anew~
6. Gains the ability to UN-mutate when he wants to so he can transform back into his effete pony tail version and run a company when need be. Family members never before mentioned become the new supporting cast.
7. Mutates again, now he basically turns into a loving beast hulk of gigantic size and strength and cannot revert back to his effete pony tail version
8. Roams around the irradiated/polluted areas of the country looking for a place where he can just chill and be a beast. Ends up traveling with a giant bat who he rescued at one point.
9. Learns of and continues to search for the "Valley of the Beasts" where he and other mutants can live in peace
10. Returns to Hellrock to complete his destiny to kill Dethstryk, last mentioned back in Ravage 2099 #1 or something
11. With the help of his love former corporate receptionist (who was turned into a fake norse god superhero a long time ago), finally defeats Dethstryk and liberates Hellrock. Doom 2099 shows up instantly thereafter to state that he's going to freeze all of Hellrock and shoot it into space because it's so polluted. Since Ravage helped him back during the Fall of the Hammer crossover, Doom gives him the option of leaving and surviving. Ravage refuses, is quickly punked by Doom and frozen in adamantium.

The 2099 World of Doom special is interesting because it straight up says Ravage 2099 is cancelled but he will be given a happy ending where Doom 2099 opens a portal to the "Valley of the Beasts" and lets all the mutants go live there in peace. Sometime between the publication of that special and the actual Ravage 2099 #33, someone must have decided "You know what, gently caress it. Just kill him." Which is why a dork like me was very happy to see that Ravage 2099 is alive and well in the continuity of the recent Spider-Man 2099 series, where One Nation Under Doom apparently never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tato posted:

Dethstryk

The most 90s name ever! I'm stealing this one too, look forward to my Dethstryk & Crucifer series in 2025, yall.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

But some of the worst movies I ever saw as a kid... Hook.

Wha?

Dude, that movie still holds up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TenCentFang posted:

It's kind of like anime. Over in Japan, they're stuck catering to a tiny market social recluse perverts because they're what keeps studios in the black, which means all that gets made is the pervert catering, which means that no one else watches anime, which means all that gets made is pervert catering, and so on and so forth.
I am not remotely an anime expert, but how is this the case? Is "anime" more specific a market that just "animation made in Japan", because there seems to be a pretty solid market for (unless I'm missing something) non-pervert-catering stuff like Studio Ghibli and Makoto Shinkai and I assume translated things like One Piece/Naruto/One Punch Man/My Hero Academia are also popular in Japan as well as the US.

I'm somewhat more familiar with the manga market, and I know it's incredibly diverse and stuff from lots of genres are successful with lots of demographics, but it does seem to be a few set of specific genres that ever get translated into English. I kind of assumed anime was in the same boat. Is it not?

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
In Japan, "anime" is just the term for animation, period. Disney films are anime in Japan. When it comes to homegrown stuff, it's usually either for kids(shounen/shojo and the really kiddy stuff) or pervert catering, at least if it wants to make a profit. I'm pretty sure even Studio Ghibli has had financial trouble for awhile, and they're supposed to be the premier family anime guys. Geek culture in Japan is not mainstream, and if you're an adult who admits to liking animation, people there are gonna assume you've got shelves full of sticky figurines.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My local shop when I was a kid got a ton of 2099 promo posters right when the line launched. I had that thing on my wall for 10+ years, it survived a cross country move! I was so hyped for those books and I never got to read anything other than Spider-man until years later.

Here's the poster!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

TenCentFang posted:

In Japan, "anime" is just the term for animation, period. Disney films are anime in Japan. When it comes to homegrown stuff, it's usually either for kids(shounen/shojo and the really kiddy stuff) or pervert catering, at least if it wants to make a profit. I'm pretty sure even Studio Ghibli has had financial trouble for awhile, and they're supposed to be the premier family anime guys. Geek culture in Japan is not mainstream, and if you're an adult who admits to liking animation, people there are gonna assume you've got shelves full of sticky figurines.
Again, I am not an expert on these matters, but I am not really sure what the 1:1 conflation of "geek culture" and "anime" is. Like the #1 film in Japan last year was animated and doesn't appear to be for little kids *or* perverts, but I don't really know what the full industry/medium is like in Japan.

I will say that looking at American animation, the really high quality (production-wise) stuff like Studio Ghibli or Pixar is expensive as heck to make, and I wouldn't be surprised if that leads to some financial crunch. But I'm also skeptical of the "gonna assume you've got shelves full of sticky figures". That stereotype/type of fan exists in America for lots of stuff, but all things being equal you can pretty readily admit to being a fan of [Star Wars/video games/superheroes/Game of Thrones/animation] and assuming you're not speaking entirely in Star Wars quotes while wearing a Boba Fett hoodie waiting in line to buy a life size Chewbacca doll to put in your Cantina themed man-cave and people aren't going to back away from you because you mentioned you were excited by the Last Jedi trailer. I kind of assumed that anime was not dissimilar. Doing some really light googling, it does sound as if maybe a lot more people read manga than watch anime, but all of the sources I'm finding are really anecdotal.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

Again, I am not an expert on these matters, but I am not really sure what the 1:1 conflation of "geek culture" and "anime" is. Like the #1 film in Japan last year was animated and doesn't appear to be for little kids *or* perverts, but I don't really know what the full industry/medium is like in Japan.

I looked up the issue on an industry knowledge column I've got faith in and according to them things have gotten a lot better. Even so, the high cost of animation means studios have to aim for the people who are gonna buy a ton of blu-rays/merch a lot of the time. Any penetration by outside demographics is good, which is why putting money into shows you like one way or another is important. The upcoming Kino's Journey remake/sequel is for neither kids nor perverts, and I'm looking forward to it. The success of Crunchyroll and far greater ease of legal access for fans outside of Japan has helped tremendously, though it's still an uphill battle.

I pick anime to watch each season with AniChart, and the trends are amazingly consistent. A lot of the typical idea of what anime "is" derives from the insular nature of the audience and making stuff for that audience. You can throw away at least half of every season as being virtually identical to a billion previous shows. Incest, harems, girls who've lost their memory, swords, magic schools, all of the above. Recently, there's also been an explosion of nationalism and Imperial apologism in otaku pandering shows. Stuff that experiments with defying preconceptions of just what anime should look like, such as Flowers of Evil or just about anything Trigger's made are pretty rare because 90% of anime has the same goddamn default style and anything that deviates gets trashed by the people whose obsessive cash keeps studios afloat.

Miyazaki's talked about the rampant problems with anime's relationship to it's fans, which is the origin of the "anime was a mistake" meme, although IIRC he did not actually say those exact words. It's also why Under The Dog needed Kickstarter.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 7, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

As a kid, one of my favorite movies was Short Circuit 2 (where the robot goes up against stereotypical New York street gangs), little knowing that it was the beginning of being a Michael McKean fan for most of my life. It's probably awful, but I loved it at the time. And to this day, I'll defend Transformers: The Movie to anyone.

But some of the worst movies I ever saw as a kid, where I was repulsed and even embarrassed for watching them, and that my parents had to sit through them with me, and that people actually made them and thought they were good, were the Australian "comedy" Young Einstein, Spaced Invaders (a true piece of crap starring little people in bad Martian costumes), and Hook.

I watched all of those multiple times as a kid. Even Mario Bros I didn't think was bad as a kid. I mean I didn't watch it multiple times and think it was amazing, but I was still in my "terrible movies don't exist" phase so it never crossed my mind that it was bad, and it had an awesome Roxette song so how bad could it be, right ?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mario bros owns i dunno what y'all are talking about

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

Mario bros owns i dunno what y'all are talking about

See, I wanna agree, but you could put anything in front of ten year old me and I'd applaud it if you told me it was Mario and Luigi. I just cannot be objective here.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

TenCentFang posted:

I looked up the issue on an industry knowledge column I've got faith in and according to them things have gotten a lot better. Even so, the high cost of animation means studios have to aim for the people who are gonna buy a ton of blu-rays/merch a lot of the time. Any penetration by outside demographics is good, which is why putting money into shows you like one way or another is important. The upcoming Kino's Journey remake/sequel is for neither kids nor perverts, and I'm looking forward to it. The success of Crunchyroll and far greater ease of legal access for fans outside of Japan has helped tremendously, though it's still an uphill battle.

I pick anime to watch each season with AniChart, and the trends are amazingly consistent. A lot of the typical idea of what anime "is" derives from the insular nature of the audience and making stuff for that audience. You can throw away at least half of every season as being virtually identical to a billion previous shows. Incest, harems, girls who've lost their memory, swords, magic schools, all of the above. Recently, there's also been an explosion of nationalism and Imperial apologism in otaku pandering shows. Stuff that experiments with defying preconceptions of just what anime should look like, such as Flowers of Evil or just about anything Trigger's made are pretty rare because 90% of anime has the same goddamn default style and anything that deviates gets trashed by the people whose obsessive cash keeps studios afloat.

Miyazaki's talked about the rampant problems with anime's relationship to it's fans, which is the origin of the "anime was a mistake" meme, although IIRC he did not actually say those exact words. It's also why Under The Dog needed Kickstarter.

If I never see another person try to argue that GATE is a good show, it will be too soon.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think the movie that made me realize bad movies were possible was Garbage Pail Kids. It was a pain to watch because no one else in the family wanted to rent it so I had to do so with my own chores money. There's probably a metaphor here for the dulling effect of capitalism on the consumption of art.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

~We can do anything by working with each other
La la la, la-la lala la laaaa~

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Rhyno posted:

My local shop when I was a kid got a ton of 2099 promo posters right when the line launched. I had that thing on my wall for 10+ years, it survived a cross country move! I was so hyped for those books and I never got to read anything other than Spider-man until years later.

Here's the poster!

I love how haphazard the poster is. They just took a drawing of Ravage with no feet and pasted it right on there, plus he has now gained the magical ability to fly around.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
19, 20, the 90s was truly the age of not giving a gently caress.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Tato posted:

I love how haphazard the poster is. They just took a drawing of Ravage with no feet and pasted it right on there, plus he has now gained the magical ability to fly around.

Based on Tato's post, it wouldn't surprise me if they said "he can canonically fly on this poster scene".

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

Here's the poster!

Jesus. They just slapped him right on there. Makes him look like he's a giant walking through the buildings.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's a lot more Victorian lookin than I what I pictured.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Check out this cover gallery to see how quickly and frequently they tried to change up Ravage's look to find something that worked.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

Check out this cover gallery to see how quickly and frequently they tried to change up Ravage's look to find something that worked.

Wow, I guess the only thing they managed to ravage was my eyes. I'm hilarious.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was Ravage a 2099 exclusive character or did he have a non-2099 equivalent? The only other Ravage I'm aware of is this evil Hulk from the Paul Jenkins / Ron Garney Hulk run in the late 90s.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was Ravage a 2099 exclusive character or did he have a non-2099 equivalent? The only other Ravage I'm aware of is this evil Hulk from the Paul Jenkins / Ron Garney Hulk run in the late 90s.
He was touted as an all-new character from the mind of Stan Lee!

Also it should be said that for reasons I don't fully remember, similar to the New Universe, The World of Tomorrow 2091 2099 was another Marvel initiative that was announced with great fanfare and somewhere between conception and execution it went from the sort of thing they were trying to line up Stan Lee and John Byrne and Jim Starlin and Chris Claremont and Larry Niven and etc. to do this prestigious New Science Fiction Universe into a line of books that outside of Stan Lee were all done by relative unknowns willing to work pretty cheap; probably the exception to that was Pat Mills, though at the time Mills had done Marshal Law and almost nothing else. Peter David was a few years into his Hulk run and was developing into a fan favorite, but this was still kind of like teasing a new line 2017 by Hickman/Remender/Fraction/DeConnick and ending up with Dennis Hopeless and Chris Hastings. The end result may be very good, but it's not really a star-studded launch.

In this scenario Stan Lee would still be Stan Lee phoning in a character for Marvel 3017.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

He was touted as an all-new character from the mind of Stan Lee!

Just like character of the century Stripperella.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is anybody watching Stan Lee's current anime?

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was planning on it but then Kakegurui happened and that stole all my attention.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rhyno, is there a lot of interest in that re-issue of the Kirby Mr.Miracle collection, given the interest in the current book?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Guy Goodbody posted:

I gave up after the first two episodes, maybe it picks up later but it just felt so slow.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Starsnostars posted:

I gave up after the first two episodes, maybe it picks up later but it just felt so slow.

there's a lot of good stuff this season, it's easy for shows to get lost in the shuffle

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
The best superhero anime ever came and went already anyway, it was called Concrete Revolutio.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Punisher 2099 was decent if I remember correctly; it had lots of really extreme stuff that I assume was parody.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Strange Aeon posted:

Punisher 2099 was decent if I remember correctly; it had lots of really extreme stuff that I assume was parody.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I feel like if each subforum had images in the background, this one would be a contender for BSS.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Punisher 2099 is a meme and everyone seems to like Spider-Man 2099, but no one ever talks about X-Men 2099, which I really liked. Or at least I seem to remember liking, I could be wrong, I've liked terrible things in the past.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Rhyno, is there a lot of interest in that re-issue of the Kirby Mr.Miracle collection, given the interest in the current book?

I've had a few inquiries about it so we ordered more than initially. We recently bought a collection that had a high grade original Mister Miracle #1 and there was a feeding frenzy over it the day we displayed it. We ended up selling it for $15 more than I had priced it at because we had so much interest and people in the store were arguing over it.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was there a trivia contest to decide who got to buy it?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I remember Spiderman 2099 to be the better of the 2099 titles, and X-Men being an okay title.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I feel like if each subforum had images in the background, this one would be a contender for BSS.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

That is the perfect line to read in gruff, 90s edgy voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I could totally make a thread icon based on it, but I don't think BSS gets nearly enough traffic to justify new thread icons.

• Locked thread