Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for August, 2017?
This poll is closed.
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 48 46.15%
:protogas: Jinder Mahal (WWE Champion) 8 7.69%
Sasha Banks (FORMER WWE Women's Champion) 0 0%
:alexa: Alexa Bliss (WWE Women's Champion) 8 7.69%
:catstare: Mayu Iwatani (World of Stardom Champion) 3 2.88%
:sparkles: Naomi (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 0.96%
:ironicat: Nattie (Smackdown Women's Champion) 8 7.69%
:c00l: Johnny Mundo (Lucha Underground Champion) 2 1.92%
:sadcoke: Alberto El Patron (FORMER GFW Global Champion) 1 0.96%
:shrug: Eli Drake (GFW Global Champion) 0 0%
Brock Lesnar (WWE Universal Champion) 11 10.58%
:spergin: Cody Rhodes (ROH World Champion) 6 5.77%
:destiny: These Champs Belong in the Toilet (None of the Above) 8 7.69%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It was a lower turnout than normal for July, but the win was never really in doubt as Kazuchika Okada's amazing year continued into its second half and he won the Champ of the Month poll for the fourth time this year.

As always, eligible Champions are mostly chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. There is no hard and fast rule for what qualifies as an "eligible" Champion because that way madness lies - we'd either have 4 poll options or 45. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc (such as PWG/Lucha Underground) those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - YAMATO and Chuck Taylor have dropped off the poll this month for instance. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Okada's amazing year continued, and the year long story of the brutal pressure on him beginning to show also continued. For the first time all year, Okada lost a one-on-one match during the final stages of the G1 Tournament when he was beaten by EVIL. Soon after he suffered a draw against Minoru Suzuki, and went into the final of the A Block needing to win or draw against his great rival Kenny Omega to make it to the Final. But in a sprint to beat the 30 minute time limit, Okada finally came up short against Omega and lost for just the second time this year, and for the first time in the three matches he has had with Kenny. Kenny himself was defeated by Tetsuya Naito, and now Okada knows his (likely) opponent for next January's Wrestle Kingdom. And the 4 months till that show must look like an eternity to the guy who keeps giving his best but is slowly being chipped away at by the relentless wave of challengers and rivals for his title. We are watching a legendary run by a guy who could eventually become a legendary wrestler (some would argue he already is), will it be another Champ of the Month win for Okada?

:protogas: Jinder Mahal (WWE Champion) - Jinder Mahal defeated Shinsuke Nakamura to retJINDER MAHAL DEFEATED SHINSUKE NAKAMURA TO RETJINDER MAHAL DEFEATED SHINSUKE NAKAMURA!?! - the match involved Jinder getting beaten up, the Singh Brothers interfering, Nakamura beating them up and then Jinder taking advantage of the distraction to hit his finish and win. Again.

Sasha Banks (FORMER WWE Women's Champion) - Sasha Banks defeated Alexa Bliss at Summerslam, and then promptly lost it on her very first title defense... again.

:alexa: Alexa Bliss (WWE Women's Champion) - Alexa Bliss was defeated by Sasha Banks at Summerslam, but successfully regained the title on Raw. Nia Jax came down to celebrate with Alexa to end the show, beating up Sasha some more and then putting Alexa up on her shoulder... before hitting her with the Electric Chair Drop to signal her intention to challenge for the title.

:catstare: Mayu Iwatani (World of Stardom Champion) - Though Io Shirai is back, Iwatani has held on to her title (as well as her Wonder of Stardom Championship), successfully defending it against Kagetsu at Stardom Midsummer Champions.

:sparkles: Naomi (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) - Despite the spectre of Carmella and the Money in the Bank Briefcase looming over the buildup to the match, it played no part as Naomi was beaten decisively by Nattie.

:ironicat: Nattie (Smackdown Women's Champion) - In a feud supposedly about who truly respected women's wrestling, Nattie would seem to have come out on top with her decisive victory over Naomi. Afterwards, she had to deal with Carmella who was open (thanks to Ellsworth) about her plans to weaken Nattie and then cash in on her. Nattie warned Carmella doing do would make her the "Baron Corbin of the Women's Division", but she also has to worry about a title rematch with Naomi coming up soon.

:c00l: Johnny Mundo (Lucha Underground Champion) - Mundo spent the month continuing the build to his match with Rey Mysterio, doing everything he could to get under his skin, including attacking his son, Dominic. During a one-on-one confrontation in the ring, Mundo hid behind security to talk poo poo about Rey and his family, including questioning Dominic's parentage. This all finally culminated in the title match, where Mundo's cheating and shortcuts seemed to be falling short as Dominic got involved and evened the odds. But when Dario Cueto interfered, it all proved too much and Mundo was able to get the win and hold on to the title for at least another week. Though now Prince Puma is coming, having won the Cueto Cup and earned a title shot himself.

:sadcoke: Alberto El Patron (FORMER GFW Global Champion) - Alberto was stripped of the title by GFW despite no charges being laid against him over the domestic violence incident between he and Paige that saw him suspended in the first place. An inauspicious start to the "new" GFW/TNA, but largely in keeping with both companies past history.

:shrug: Eli Drake (GFW Global Champion) - Eli Drake is the GFW Global Champion now I guess.

Brock Lesnar (WWE Universal Champion) - Brock was 1/4 of an excellent match to close Summerslam, the culmination of a story in which advocate Paul Heyman insisted that WWE was involved in a conspiracy to be rid of their expensive, often absent champion before he could dump them to go back to UFC and fight Jon Jones. Of course, Jones went and got himself in danger of another lengthy ban for a failed drugs test so that's a moot point now. Roman, Samoa Joe, BRAAAAAAUNNNN and Brock beat the poo poo out of each other before Brock finally managed to get the pinfall on Roman. He didn't have long to celebrate though, as Braun showed up the following Monday to beat him up some more and leave him laying.

:spergin: Cody Rhodes (ROH World Champion) - At the multi-promotional War of the Worlds show in England, Cody defended and retained is ROH World Title against rising NJPW star SANADA. In addition to TV matches (that may be yet to air) his next big defense will be at Death Before Dishonor, where he will face the legendary Minoru Suzuki in his first match in the United States in quarter of a century. Cody's dream wrestling tour continues unabated.

:destiny: These Champs Belong in the Toilet (None of the Above) - If you think these champs are poo poo turd piss farts who belong in the toilet, or you don't care and just wanna see the results, or you wanna register none of the above as your choice, this is the one for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Voted Brock for his first truly great match in like 3 years

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
If not for Okada this is just a list of Jabronis.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
lol @ jinder and bray winning a month each

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

voted Jinder for being the only wrestler in WWE to beat Shinsuke Nakamura on the main roster, a legendary feat.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Voting for Okada. Man he had an amazing G1 and the cracks in the armor are starting to show. The build up to WK is gonna be good.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

kento

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jinder Mahal

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Paws out, claws out.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okada

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012
Okada's performance throughout the G1 was magnificent :homebrew:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

J-Ro posted:

Paws out, claws out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Seams posted:

lol @ jinder and bray winning a month each

Bray at least deserved it since his run with Randy was good

then they sort of threw it all in the trash

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Jinder Mahal is WWE Champion and WWE Hall of Famer Donald Trump is president of the free world.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Do not even ask posted:

Jinder Mahal is WWE Champion and WWE Hall of Famer Donald Trump is president of the free world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPnd2s4Ic8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7S0rPhl-DI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ma7t9DmvI

Jinder #1

Donald Trump #1

India #1

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

okada had a ton of great matches but no actual title defenses, right?

lesnar probably had the best title match of the list, that im aware of.... but i dont feel like voting for him. and asuka isn't on the list.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

but okada because i cant vote for him!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

dromal phrenia posted:

okada had a ton of great matches but no actual title defenses, right?

That's correct. The G1 is all about the title but the title itself isn't defended, it's entire purpose is to generate a top challenger from a wide field to go for the title at Wrestle Kingdom. I'd argue this G1 in particular (brilliantly) furthered the ongoing story of Okada's title reign but despite all the excellent matches he had, the title wasn't on the line for any of them (or else EVIL would be the new World Champion!)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Suplex Liberace posted:

but okada because i cant vote for him!

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

Agreed. Burn the earth and salt the ashes.

Meanwhile, vote Nattie. She'll probably never be on this poll again.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

She'll be on this poll next month.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I wanted to vote for Jinder, (because his endless stupid run is hilariously bad).
I also wanted to vote for Nattie, because she is a good person and a good wrestler and her husband has a broken neck and they both have to deal with an insane loving family.

But I ended up voting for Cody, because good luck to him in breaking free of teh WWE and getting to do dream matches and have fun runs in promotions around the world.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
brock had a good title defense

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Brock did have a good title defense, but Kazuchika Okada is the greatest wrestler in the world, so there's that

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Okada completed a legendary G1 run while Brock wrestled once in a 4 way, hmm who could the answer be.

WELL DUH

It's Welterweight Champion Soberano Jr.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
champion of granddad twitter, dr wagner jr.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Omega needs to win the drat belt from Okada so I can vote for him.

In the meantime, yeahhhh Okada.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fenrir posted:

Omega needs to win the drat belt from Okada so I can vote for him.

In the meantime, yeahhhh Okada.

I wonder if when Omega finally beats him, Okada splits the vote with him for that month and somebody else ends up winning? Which a lot of people has been saying might happen with MOTY this year due to the vote being split between their current three title matches.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I wonder if when Omega finally beats him, Okada splits the vote with him for that month and somebody else ends up winning? Which a lot of people has been saying might happen with MOTY this year due to the vote being split between their current three title matches.

This won't happen because Naito's gonna beat Okada first in the Tokyo Dome and he'll win by a landslide. Count on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

For the 5th time this year, Kazuchika Okada has won the Champion of the Month poll. What is truly remarkable given his run this year is that he hasn't won it eight times out of eight, but even so it's a remarkable feat and a reminder that we've been truly lucky to witness somebody as good as he is lift up to new heights even beyond his incredible 2013/14 run.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Watch it still not be Nakamura or BRRRAAAAAAUUUUUUNNNNNNN because neither ever actually get the god drat belts.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
hold onto yer fuckin dicks and ladydicks we're doing some loving math

CHAMPION TOTALS - 41 different champs (including no voted champ)

16 - CM Punk, Kazuchika Okada
10 - Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan
8 - Christian, AJ Styles
7 - Edge
5 - Kane, Chris Jericho, Kevin Steen/Owens
4 - The Miz, Brock Lesnar, Jay Lethal
3 - King Booker, Randy Orton, Jack Swagger
2 - John Morrison, Nigel McGuinness, Sheamus, Mark Henry, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Prince Puma, No Champ, Tetsuya Naito
1 - Rob Van Dam, Undertaker, Roderick Strong, Jay Briscoe, Austin Aries, Bully Ray, Shinsuke Nakamura, BxB Hulk, Seth Rollins, Mil Muertes, Shingo Takagi, Kenny Omega, The Monster Matanza Cueto, Dean Ambrose, Sasha Banks, Bray Wyatt, Christopher Daniels, Io Shirai, Jinder Mahal

By promotion - 7 (8 counting none voted)

84 - WWE (I didn't differentiate between brands/belts/ECW/what have you)
26 - NJPW
15 - ROH
4 - Lucha Underground
2 - TNA, Dragon Gate, None
1 - Stardom

# of different champs by year

8 - 2011, 2015 (counting no champ), 2016
7 - 2014
6 - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
5 - 2006, 2013, 2017
4 - 2012

Longest consecutive run as champ - 6 (Okada Oct 2013-Mar 2014)
Longest run with different champ - 7 (None/Shingo/Lethal/Okada/Omega/Matanza/Naito Oct 2015-April 2016)

-Okada has now tied CM Punk for the most Champ of the Month wins at 16. He needed five going into the year and won this month despite not defending his belt at all! That being said, his match against EVIL is probably his last shot at winning this year considering there might not be another defense between this and the Dome, but who knows.
-Okada has won months in 4 of the last 5 years. Punk won months in six different years, so that's one area where Okada has some work to do.
-The next active wrestler behind Okada is AJ Styles, halfway there at eight. It's not inconceivable that AJ could get a monster run and start making up ground, but who knows when/if that could happen.
-You're all still misogynists and still bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm still not sure if Punk's huge number of reigns is a sign of just how great he was (he was pretty great!), or how much narrower the competition was during those years.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Japan was a bit weaker and also didn't have near the exposure. The fact we can see all of the top Japan matches easily and legally means it's much easier to compete.

Okada should probably lose next month unless Brock wins in some dumb fashion and given Vince...welll

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So Danielson breaks the record in 2019, right?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tanahashi was in the middle of his big run during Punk's big run but no one forgave New Japan for the aughts until the Suzuki match.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Tanahashi was in the middle of his big run during Punk's big run but no one forgave New Japan for the aughts until the Suzuki match.

It also felt like it wasn't until Tana/Okada that people started to pay notice, and the Ishii/Shibata G1 match where they beat the holy hell out of each other is what really woke some people up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah it is kind of insane to look back and see Hiroshi Tanahahi with only two months.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah it is kind of insane to look back and see Hiroshi Tanahahi with only two months.

Look back at the threads and for months leading up to it you can find people telling you to put Tanahashi on the poll as he was the best champion in the world. He only won few through combination of not being listed and New Japan growing under the Ace to the monolith it has become so people weren't around for the growth (including me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lid posted:

Look back at the threads and for months leading up to it you can find people telling you to put Tanahashi on the poll as he was the best champion in the world. He only won few through combination of not being listed and New Japan growing under the Ace to the monolith it has become so people weren't around for the growth (including me).

From memory at the time, New Japan was only really available via Ustream and you had to pay full price for each individual show, so it just wasn't as accessible as it is now.

I really wish I'd caught more of Tanahashi's run at the time, if only to appreciate even more how Okada is his superior :smug:

• Locked thread