Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/...nscious-victim/

Salt Lake Tribune posted:

A nurse says she was assaulted and illegally arrested by a Salt Lake City police detective for following a hospital policy that does not allow blood draws from unconscious patients.

Footage from University Hospital and officer body cameras shows Detective Jeff Payne and nurse Alex Wubbels in a standoff over whether the policeman should be allowed to get a blood sample from a patient who had been injured in a July 26 collision in northern Utah that left another driver dead.

Wubbels says blood cannot be taken from an unconscious patient unless the patient is under arrest, unless there is a warrant allowing the draw or unless the patient consents. The detective acknowledges in the footage that none of those requirements is in place, but he insists that he has the authority to obtain the draw, according to the footage.

At one point, Payne threatens to take Wubbels to jail if he doesn’t get the sample, and he accuses her of interfering with a criminal case.
“I either go away with blood in vials or body in tow,” Payne says.

After Wubbels consults with several hospital officials and repeats the policy, Payne tells her she is under arrest and grabs her, pulling her arms behind her back and handcuffing her. The footage shows the detective dragging Wubbels out of the hospital and putting her inside a patrol car as she screams, “Help! Help! Somebody help me! Stop! Stop! I did nothing wrong!”

A University of Utah police officer and Department of Public Safety officers, who provide security for the hospital, were present at time of the arrest and did not intervene.
As he stands in the hospital parking lot after the arrest, Payne says to another officer that he wonders how this event will affect an off-duty job transporting patients for an ambulance company.
“I’ll bring them all the transients and take good patients elsewhere,” Payne says.

Parts of the footage were shown Thursday at a news conference at the office of Karra Porter, a Salt Lake City attorney representing Wubbels.
Salt Lake police Sgt. Brandon Shearer said the department started an internal investigation, which is ongoing, in response to the incident.
Payne was suspended from the department’s blood-draw program — where officers are trained as phlebotomists so they can get blood samples — but he remains on duty with the Police Department, Shearer said. The department also has held training for the officers in the program as a result of the incident, he said.

In a written report, Payne said he was responding to a request from Logan police to get the blood sample, to determine whether the patient had illicit substances in his system at the time of the crash. Payne explained the “exigent circumstances and implied consent law” to Wubbels, but, according to his report, she said “her policies won’t allow me to obtain the blood sample without a warrant.”
Payne — who says he wanted the blood sample to protect the patient, not punish him — said he was advised by Lt. James Tracy, the watch commander on duty that night, to arrest Wubbels for interfering with a police investigation if she refused to let him get the sample, according to his report.

Tracy said in his report that he spoke on the phone with Wubbels and told her he believed that they had implied consent to get the sample, but she cut him off and said she would not allow the draw without a warrant. He then went to the hospital and tried to tell the nurse why she was in custody, but “she appeared to not want to hear my explanation,” Tracy wrote.

Porter, however, said “implied consent” has not been the law in Utah since 2007, and the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2016 that the Constitution permits warrantless breath tests in drunken-driving arrests, but not warrantless blood tests. She stressed that the patient was always considered the victim in the case and never was suspected of wrongdoing.

No claim or lawsuit has been filed, Porter said, but she has had discussions with Salt Lake City police and she believes the department will educate its officers.
Wubbels said she has heard anecdotally of other health care workers being bullied and harassed by police, and that these videos prove that there is a problem.
“I can’t sit on this video and not attempt to speak out both to re-educate and inform,” she said. Police agencies “need to be having conversations about what is appropriate intervention.”
Wubbels, who was not charged, said she has watched the footage four or five times and said, “It hurts to relive it.”

She never said “no” when Payne asked to take a blood sample; she merely explained the blood draw policy to him, according to Wubbels, who also said she was trying to keep her patient safe and do things the right way.
Porter and Wubbels declined to release information about the patient, but Payne’s report identifies him as 43-year-old William Gray, a reserve officer in the Rigby, Idaho, Police Department, who suffered burns during a July 26 crash in Cache County.
Gray is a truck driver when he is not serving as a reserve police officer, according to the Idaho State Journal.

At about 2 p.m. on July 26, Gray was driving a semi north on State Road 89/91 near Sardine Canyon when a man fleeing from the Utah Highway Patrol crashed a pickup truck into him head-on, according to Logan police, who investigated the collision.
The crash caused an explosion and fire, Logan police have said. Gray was on fire when he exited the semi. The driver of the pickup truck, Marcos Torres, 26, died at the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihQ1-LQOkns

Gonna follow the law and make the cop's job hard? That's prison time, bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
If you had to decide between either having nurses or cops in your society, which would you pick?

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
He was just defending himself. From being disrespected by a woman. Which is too great an emotional burden to bear.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

friendo posted:

If you had to decide between either having nurses or cops in your society, which would you pick?

That''s a tough choice. I'm gonna go with the psychopaths that have guns and can arrest you for whatever and not get in trouble for it. Yep.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

It sounded like a simple mistake until you watch the video. Who the gently caress acts like that? :psyduck: I would sue the poo poo out of the city.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I lust for cop death

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Over There posted:

It sounded like a simple mistake until you watch the video. Who the gently caress acts like that? :psyduck: I would sue the poo poo out of the city.

A real piece of poo poo

"As he stands in the hospital parking lot after the arrest, Payne says to another officer that he wonders how this event will affect an off-duty job transporting patients for an ambulance company.
“I’ll bring them all the transients and take good patients elsewhere,” Payne says."

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

A real piece of poo poo

"As he stands in the hospital parking lot after the arrest, Payne says to another officer that he wonders how this event will affect an off-duty job transporting patients for an ambulance company.
“I’ll bring them all the transients and take good patients elsewhere,” Payne says."

:wtc:

GBS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!
Sep 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Kill all cops

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I would do an immediate 180 on antifa and support them if they started going after the police

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That man will be promoted before the end of the year.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
let's give these guys urban tanks and assault weaponry.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
This is obviously fake... the cop and the nurse have the same skin color.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

lmao at her juts letting herself get arrested. i would of taken out my concealed carry deagle adn no scoped that songof a bitch cop

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If I was prez is sign an executive order that for every scalp of a cop, ex-cop, trainee cop, you'd get like a thousand bucks. Two thousand bucks for the scalps of they're immediate families

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I would do an immediate 180 on antifa and support them if they started going after the police

*throws piss at cop *
*gets beaten so badly every other antifa dude with me runs away *

toucan dan
May 18, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
this lady is not a hero. she was just doing her job, like the cop. what happens if the patient is dead or ends up dying? how can a dead person give consent? what a stupid policy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

toucan dan posted:

this lady is not a hero. she was just doing her job, like the cop. what happens if the patient is dead or ends up dying? how can a dead person give consent? what a stupid policy.

If the patient is dead you wait for the autopsy.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cop gay so what

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

toucan dan posted:

Better dead than touched by a cop

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

Cop dead, ha ha

GBS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!
Sep 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Ride The Gravitron posted:

If I was prez is sign an executive order that for every scalp of a cop, ex-cop, trainee cop, you'd get like a thousand bucks. Two thousand bucks for the scalps of they're immediate families

you, 2020

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

dont say that

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Tolkien minority posted:

lmao at her juts letting herself get arrested. i would of taken out my concealed carry deagle adn no scoped that songof a bitch cop

holy... i jus nut o_O

GBS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!
Sep 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

toucan dan posted:

yes the cop was doing his job by illegally arresting a nurse because she wouldn't submit to his will

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GBS ROCKS!!!!!!!!! posted:

yes the cop was doing his job by illegally arresting a nurse because she wouldn't submit to his will

But you see, that hero cop was trying to extrajudicially seize the unconscious criminal scum's blood and the terrorist nurse was getting in the way of justice. Nothing illegal about that arrest at all!!!!!

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
it puts the blood in a vial or you sit in jail awhile. !!!!!!!!!!!

GBS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!
Sep 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

But you see, that hero cop was trying to extrajudicially seize the unconscious criminal scum's blood and the terrorist nurse was getting in the way of justice. Nothing illegal about that arrest at all!!!!!

kill all cops

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygly4T5K-uk

Kill all cops

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FU-Fso8O8E
Kill all cops

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I wanna be a cop.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, he was doing this to protect the patent, not incriminate him? That doesn't make very much sen

quote:

Porter and Wubbels declined to release information about the patient, but Payne’s report identifies him as 43-year-old William Gray, a reserve officer in the Rigby, Idaho, Police Department, who suffered burns during a July 26 crash in Cache County.

lmao gently caress 5-0

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Read about this elsewhere. This was after a police chase, the patient is not the suspect but another driver not involved in the chase whot got nailed in a collision resulting from the chase. Cops are likely worried about a lawsuit from the driver and at best want to check his blood for drugs and alcohol to lessen his chances of a big settlement; at worst they might gently caress with the samples to make it look like he was on drugs or alcohol for the same purpose.

Maldoror has issued a correction as of 16:47 on Sep 1, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The patient also is an off duty cop from Idaho.

efb

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Maldoror posted:

Read about this elsewhere. This was after a police chase, the patient is not the suspect but another driver mpt involved in the chase that got nailed in a collision resulting from the chase. Cops are likely worried about a lawsuit from the driver and at best want to check his blood for drugs and alcohol to lessen his chances of a big settlement; at worst they might gently caress with the samples to make it look like he was on drugs or alcohol for the same purpose.

no it's because he was a cop and they wanted to beat up a nurse to make sure he wouldn't get in trouble

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
One time there was a disgruntled former cop who put a bomb on a bus and set it to blow up if it went below 50mph

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015
NSA honeypot thread.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
im outraged and its not suprising the op is outraged as well. i bet our readers here are pissed off and i cant wait to share my anger with them when they post acab as if they were in an 80s oi band and this will go on for 300 pages until someone says cops are good and our necks snap immediately to his post, in unison, and well all call him a retarded piece of poo poo whos stupid as hell and is gay. also were all white it workers tjere i saved you the trouble of reading the thread go outside and do something productive you stupid rear end in a top hat

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

im going to arrest you for.....resisting arrest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Enfield posted:

im outraged and its not suprising the op is outraged as well. i bet our readers here are pissed off and i cant wait to share my anger with them when they post acab as if they were in an 80s oi band and this will go on for 300 pages until someone says cops are good and our necks snap immediately to his post, in unison, and well all call him a retarded piece of poo poo whos stupid as hell and is gay. also were all white it workers tjere i saved you the trouble of reading the thread go outside and do something productive you stupid rear end in a top hat

Calling someone gay as a pejorative is wrong and nobody ITT would do such a thing.

• Locked thread