Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

wicka posted:

If you're an obvious #10 you probably don't expect to be played on the wing in a team where you are twice as talented as anyone else, so

Not sure what you're getting at here. Arsenal have control over the players they sign and where they are played. I'm not criticizing either Ozil or Sanchez. I'm just saying that the fact that they want to leave is part of the clusterfuck that has been Arsenal's transfer policy for the last five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Not sure what you're getting at here. Arsenal have control over the players they sign and where they are played. I'm not criticizing either Ozil or Sanchez. I'm just saying that the fact that they want to leave is part of the clusterfuck that has been Arsenal's transfer policy for the last five years.

I probably misunderstood what you were saying, but I just mean I'm not surprised Ozil doesn't want to stay when he's been so horribly misused.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Ozil gets unfair criticism imo

Like you know he doesn't track back, yet people always act surprised when he doesn't

He's there to do get a lot of assists and the occasional sexy goal

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I don't get the Ozil hate either.

I wish my club had some more flat track bullies.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
ozil is not without flaws, but is a good player who is weakened by not having a specific role to play

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Ozil was on fire when Coquelin and Giroud were in the team because Coquelin was willing to run and defend for both of them and Giroud could control Ozil's throughball and finish.

Wenger drops Coquelin for Xhaka and/or Ramsey, drops Giroud for pet projects Welbeck/Walcott/Lacazette and wouldnt you know it Ozil is ineffective again.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
everyone on earth knows Arsenal's strongest XI except Wengy

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Ozil gets unfair criticism imo

Like you know he doesn't track back, yet people always act surprised when he doesn't

He's there to do get a lot of assists and the occasional sexy goal

He's a perfectly fine player. He just plays one position and one position only. If your team isn't built to accommodate a no 10, he isn't particularly useful. Arsenal haven't been set up to play with a real 10 since Cazorla died. It's not Ozil's fault; it's just a symptom of Arsenal's lack of planning and poor transfers.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I sympathize with Wenger because I, too, have a giant boner for Ramsey.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE3zeB-h3NA

quiet enjoyment
May 11, 2009
i have not lost faith in arsenal to turn it around for bournemouth and the chels, it's still early in the season, and hell, i just hope the guys have fun out there and no one gets hurt :kiddo:

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I'm fine with losing every match 4-0 if it wins us the league

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

brocked posted:

I'm fine with losing every match 4-0 if it wins us the league

- Inter 2005/2006

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Reprisal posted:

everyone on earth thinks they know Arsenal's strongest XI better than Wengy

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Thanks guys yeah that kind of follows that I was thinking. It is a shame since he did seem to be able to put together a decent team once upon a time. Didn't know Dein left and that kind of explains why it is a poo poo show on the management side.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/richard_conway/status/905781466067607552

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cool and good but all leagues with a summer window should do this, otherwise it puts the league at a disadvantage

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Ugh I love the first few weeks of the season where clubs overreact to losses and panic buy like idiots.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Cool and good but all leagues with a summer window should do this, otherwise it puts the league at a disadvantage

Don't think it will matter much - Prem clubs can just "do a Liverpool" if anyone comes knocking after the window closes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Good.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Manc Hill posted:

Don't think it will matter much - Prem clubs can just "do a Liverpool" if anyone comes knocking after the window closes.

Not if the players have release clauses

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

tarbrush posted:

Not if the players have release clauses

Then they can just do a United "Oops now where did that fax machine go? I know it was here somewhere..."

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

pik_d posted:

Then they can just do a United "Oops now where did that fax machine go? I know it was here somewhere..."

That's fine for a situation like this window where it was a 24 hour difference but stalling for 3-4 weeks might be a bit more difficult

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Release clauses are gonna become more prevalent with the shorter window for sure

And BPL is gonna get dicked over buying players when clubs know they have a shorter window to buy

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Arsenal problem is a due to a lot of things, Dein's departure, failure to address injury problems, the stadium construction, the advent of the billionaire owners. It's hard to pin down to just one thing. It didn't help that when Wenger first came fitness techniques in England were in the dark ages, and no one knew too much about foreign football. Now every club worth its salt knows if there is a decent youth prospect in Ligue 2.

On the pitch Wenger has struggled because he likes to play 'the right way' regardless of the other team's tactics, right down to rarely making a substitution before the 60 minute mark. By all accounts the players are coached more regarding their own tactics in the run up to a game rather than the opposition. Contrast that to George Graham who apparently had dossiers compiled on every opposition player and made his team study them.

Wenger has also hedged his bets (using logic, to be fair) that the financial status of the premier league is unsustainable and therefore his model will be proven right: unfortunately the way things are going he is likely going to die before he sees that day.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

pik_d posted:

It was an "accidentally password protected" PDF or something IIRC.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Wenger has also hedged his bets (using logic, to be fair) that the financial status of the premier league is unsustainable and therefore his model will be proven right: unfortunately the way things are going he is likely going to die before he sees that day.

He's absolutely correct, the only problem I have is that it shouldn't be him making this decision.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

wicka posted:

He's absolutely correct, the only problem I have is that it shouldn't be him making this decision.

I agree he is correct but the bubble is far outlasting his prediction, the next deal primed to go even more nuts, another potential five years before it bursts.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Lol this is 100% wrong. Wenger made the worst bets imaginable. If the stock market goes from 1000 to 5000, you're a loving idiot if you kept your money in your mattress. Especially if it's because you're convinced a crash is coming any day now.

Wenger thought €40m was too much for Higuain. So what happens? Higuain moves for €90m 3 years later.

Also the premier league is still really far behind the NFL in terms of monetization, and behind the NBA in wages. So I suggest holding onto your butts.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
I don't think Wenger is that much different than other coaches regarding subs. Most are pretty conservative, except perhaps Mourinho.
If anything, when he do make good(lucky?) subs, they are quickly forgotten.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Lol this is 100% wrong. Wenger made the worst bets imaginable. If the stock market goes from 1000 to 5000, you're a loving idiot if you kept your money in your mattress. Especially if it's because you're convinced a crash is coming any day now.

Wenger thought €40m was too much for Higuain. So what happens? Higuain moves for €90m 3 years later.

Also the premier league is still really far behind the NFL in terms of monetization, and behind the NBA in wages. So I suggest holding onto your butts.

No one would've said Higuain was going to move for €90m three years after he was valued at €40m though. Wenger is using his degree in economics to try and gauge the market except there is no real comparative example for what is happening in English football right now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

None of what's going on with live sports TV rights is "real," it's just the death throes of TV networks. They're overpaying out the rear end for sports because sports are the only appointment viewing that still exists. It's quite literally the only programming keeping their business model alive. It's why Sky can pay more and more for the Premier League when their Premier League ratings keep going down. The idea that this could continue long-term is just laughable.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

wicka posted:

None of what's going on with live sports TV rights is "real," it's just the death throes of TV networks. They're overpaying out the rear end for sports because sports are the only appointment viewing that still exists. It's quite literally the only programming keeping their business model alive. It's why Sky can pay more and more for the Premier League when their Premier League ratings keep going down. The idea that this could continue long-term is just laughable.

Depends if Amazon/Netflix feels like eating another industry I guess.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

wicka posted:

That and Sky are shifting the cost more and more onto pubs who can't afford not to show football. Many of these pubs are barely making money as is so this will be another thing that will eventually have to give

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Depends if Amazon/Netflix feels like eating another industry I guess.

They're already spending themselves into debt just making movies and TV shows. More likely the league will just stream directly to viewers, which is something even F1 (the most rear end-backwards sport in the world) is considering.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Live sports may be the only appointment viewing really left but I've noticed more and more ads in your on demand programming without fast forward to the point that it's basically the same amount of time for commercials as it is for traditional viewing.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

wicka posted:

Yeah it's worth noting that ESPN is already having trouble managing the cost of paying for the rights to live sports broadcasts. I suspect the move will eventually be for the leagues to launch their own streaming service, but who knows.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Bacon Terrorist posted:

No one would've said Higuain was going to move for €90m three years after he was valued at €40m though. Wenger is using his degree in economics to try and gauge the market except there is no real comparative example for what is happening in English football right now.

Wenger has 30 years experience as a manager and spent like 2 years getting a degree. Using math skills I learned from my degree, I would estimate he's 15 times better at managing a football team as he is at economics.

wicka posted:

People have been saying that wages and fees are a bubble for like 100 years.

Ticket prices can still go up (check out NFL prices) jersey prices can increase, commercial revenue can be higher, China and India can watch more football and pay more money, more billionaires are going to want playthings, a superleague can be formed.

Just because everyone hopes this is a passing fad doesn't mean that it is.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Just because everyone hopes this is a passing fad doesn't mean that it is.

It's not a passing fad, it's a temporary increase in TV rights value, and no one thinks it's a bubble because they hope so, they think it's a bubble because it fits the actual definition of a bubble.

The fact that you are talking about the value of TV rights increasing in concert with the popularity of the sport means you fundamentally misunderstand what is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

wicka posted:

They're already spending themselves into debt just making movies and TV shows. More likely the league will just stream directly to viewers, which is something even F1 (the most rear end-backwards sport in the world) is considering.

Yeah but F1 just switched ownership.

I know that there are many people that would happily pay a decent amount of money for reliable, official streams from the league that are accessible world wide. WRC does this and it's great, doesn't MotoGP as well?

• Locked thread