Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Does anyone watch AFTV for any reason but to laugh at Arsenal fans? It is the worst poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

La Liga are just mad that clubs have found ways to fund buying every player in the world without simply being handed the lion's share of their leagues' TV revenue.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Until this summer Arsenal had one man negotiating all contracts and transfers, from the lowest academy level all the way up to the first team. Now we have two!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You can see that in his transfer “strategy” too, he only ever has eyes for the exact perfect player who fits his system flawlessly, and refuses to identify second choices or adjust his system to fit them, even if it would ultimately make the team better.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

fat gay nonce posted:

Arsenal are bad now because Dein left and took any kind of football business skill with him, god knows who negotiates now, probably Wenger fiddling with his zip.

Blaming just Wenger is stupid, there are massive problems with things like oversight, direction and to some extent a culture that fosters the right kind of mentality. Arsenal's players never look like they give a poo poo either way which is the exact opposite of how the good arsenal sides were. All of that comes from above so owned fail arsenal fans.

This is true except that a manager who isn’t out of his drat mind could get quite a lot out of the team Arsenal has.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Because you don't expect your record signings to leave on a free in their prime.

If you're an obvious #10 you probably don't expect to be played on the wing in a team where you are twice as talented as anyone else, so

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Not sure what you're getting at here. Arsenal have control over the players they sign and where they are played. I'm not criticizing either Ozil or Sanchez. I'm just saying that the fact that they want to leave is part of the clusterfuck that has been Arsenal's transfer policy for the last five years.

I probably misunderstood what you were saying, but I just mean I'm not surprised Ozil doesn't want to stay when he's been so horribly misused.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I sympathize with Wenger because I, too, have a giant boner for Ramsey.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Wenger has also hedged his bets (using logic, to be fair) that the financial status of the premier league is unsustainable and therefore his model will be proven right: unfortunately the way things are going he is likely going to die before he sees that day.

He's absolutely correct, the only problem I have is that it shouldn't be him making this decision.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

None of what's going on with live sports TV rights is "real," it's just the death throes of TV networks. They're overpaying out the rear end for sports because sports are the only appointment viewing that still exists. It's quite literally the only programming keeping their business model alive. It's why Sky can pay more and more for the Premier League when their Premier League ratings keep going down. The idea that this could continue long-term is just laughable.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Depends if Amazon/Netflix feels like eating another industry I guess.

They're already spending themselves into debt just making movies and TV shows. More likely the league will just stream directly to viewers, which is something even F1 (the most rear end-backwards sport in the world) is considering.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Just because everyone hopes this is a passing fad doesn't mean that it is.

It's not a passing fad, it's a temporary increase in TV rights value, and no one thinks it's a bubble because they hope so, they think it's a bubble because it fits the actual definition of a bubble.

The fact that you are talking about the value of TV rights increasing in concert with the popularity of the sport means you fundamentally misunderstand what is happening.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

Yeah but F1 just switched ownership.

I know that there are many people that would happily pay a decent amount of money for reliable, official streams from the league that are accessible world wide. WRC does this and it's great, doesn't MotoGP as well?

Yeah, MotoGP does it, why the hell haven't you subscribed? You're gonna miss Dovi's magical triumph!

JFairfax posted:

everyone knows bitcoin is a stupid bubble fueled by idiots and that keeps on going up.

and far more idiots like football than bitcoin.

This is the worst post ever made in a football thread. Why do you think these two things are related at all?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

T Bowl posted:

By the bubble wicka is actually talking about Wenger's massive hemorrhoid he has been dealing with for years that has slowly consumed his football mind.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Analysts are saying TV rights are going to increase again both domestically and internationally, which will take the increases until 2022 at least. After that who knows what will happen.

Maybe everything will burst, or maybe £2000 season tickets and Snapchat Gold memberships will make up for any drop in TV rights.

Right, so the situation the Premier League is in money-wise has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with anything but TV rights. Matchday revenue, sponsorship, shirt sales, etc., all basically irrelevant. I mean, yes, there's a lot of money there, but all the huge growth is coming from TV rights, which now makes up about half of most clubs' total revenue. So to suggest "maybe season tickets will fill the gap" is just nonsense, there's absolutely no reason to ever believe that will be the case, you're basically just saying "I don't want to believe there's a bubble, so here's the first thing I thought of."

Any broadcast partner that picks up PL rights after this current situation ends is logically not going to be able to continue doing what the pay TV providers are doing, because the pay TV providers are hugely overpaying for Premier League rights. There's no reason to believe a similar situation just appears out of thin air.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Strawman posted:

They both involve inflating bubbles for imaginary long term gains? That one actually offers a product isn't really that relevant.

Jesus Christ

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

Wicka is insanely retarded like every post he's made in this thread is wrong

Hmmmmmmmmmm

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone know who airs the Premier League in China? I cannot figure this out.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

中国中央电视台

Well I have 14 of those channels so hopefully one lets me watch whatever dumb poo poo Arsene does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

He's a terrible winger. Everyone knew this when he was at Arsenal, except Wenger. Even the player himself knew it and kept asking to play in a different position and eventually left just so he wouldn't play there anymore. And now he's at a new club and for his first start Klopp plays him on the wing.

Idgi. It's like managers just cannot accept that a guy who is quick is bad at being a winger.

I’ll take “people who don’t understand the difference between winger and wingback” for 1000, Alex.

• Locked thread