Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Isn't Robbie driving a Bentley banking £40k a month right now? Bet he moonwalked when Wenger extended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Arsenal problem is a due to a lot of things, Dein's departure, failure to address injury problems, the stadium construction, the advent of the billionaire owners. It's hard to pin down to just one thing. It didn't help that when Wenger first came fitness techniques in England were in the dark ages, and no one knew too much about foreign football. Now every club worth its salt knows if there is a decent youth prospect in Ligue 2.

On the pitch Wenger has struggled because he likes to play 'the right way' regardless of the other team's tactics, right down to rarely making a substitution before the 60 minute mark. By all accounts the players are coached more regarding their own tactics in the run up to a game rather than the opposition. Contrast that to George Graham who apparently had dossiers compiled on every opposition player and made his team study them.

Wenger has also hedged his bets (using logic, to be fair) that the financial status of the premier league is unsustainable and therefore his model will be proven right: unfortunately the way things are going he is likely going to die before he sees that day.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

wicka posted:

He's absolutely correct, the only problem I have is that it shouldn't be him making this decision.

I agree he is correct but the bubble is far outlasting his prediction, the next deal primed to go even more nuts, another potential five years before it bursts.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Lol this is 100% wrong. Wenger made the worst bets imaginable. If the stock market goes from 1000 to 5000, you're a loving idiot if you kept your money in your mattress. Especially if it's because you're convinced a crash is coming any day now.

Wenger thought €40m was too much for Higuain. So what happens? Higuain moves for €90m 3 years later.

Also the premier league is still really far behind the NFL in terms of monetization, and behind the NBA in wages. So I suggest holding onto your butts.

No one would've said Higuain was going to move for €90m three years after he was valued at €40m though. Wenger is using his degree in economics to try and gauge the market except there is no real comparative example for what is happening in English football right now.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Partly Arsenal having a bloated squad with large wages, partly Arsene not wanting to over pay, partly Kroenke liking his teams to turn a profit and he is building a $2bn stadium in LA.

The plan set out not just by Wenger but the board pre-Kroenke was sound: build a top stadium to increase match day revenue etc but as we have just said, due to the hyper inflation of tv rights money all the other stuff is now loose change. The prize money for finishing dead last is around £100m.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
As much as I love laughing at Liverpool I wouldn't say the bust has arrived just yet, I predicted a 1-1 draw in my Sky Super 6 (if only I predicted the other results correctly!) because I think Burnley are the blueprint of exactly what this Liverpool team struggles with. There are better teams that will go to Anfield that aren't as defensively organised who will get beat, especially when Liverpool have their entire array of attacking riches on the pitch. Klopp still needs to really come up with a viable plan B though because it won't be long before the teams that don't need to win away at Liverpool/have pride in their style will just copy the Burnley approach, that's a load of potential points bleeding out if not dealt with.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

EvilHawk posted:

Memes aside this is the issue I have with Klopp. We all know that Burnley are the type of team we struggle with. It was evident when he first came in (even going back to the Rodgers era) and he has done absolutely nothing to fix it in the last two and a half years. If there's no improvement what's the point?

This is something some pundit levelled at Klopp on a podcast after the Watford game (Possibly David Preece?) and it's true: the defence has not improved at all since the Rogers era and it's been a while now, there's really no excuse. Even when Arsenal were in full on 'just score more than the opponent' mode we weren't actually winning as much as we did with the solid defence Wenger inherited, Mourinho dismissing the 5-4 north London Derby as a 'hockey score' as he trundled on to win the title with his 'boring' domination.

Not even sure VVD would solve the problems because Lovren was VVD until he put a Liverpool shirt on, there's definitely a coaching issue there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Kick It Out have complained officially about United fans chanting about Lukaku's massive black dong apparently.

• Locked thread