Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
im happy that my best team liverpool football club are second in the league after three games played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

gently caress Man Utd imo

:agreed:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dunban posted:

What happened to the American who went to that Millwall game? Did he die?

He now wanders the streets of London at night punching foreigners and yelling "gently caress you I'm Millwall"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

Not really been paying close attention for years but I remember Wenger won a ton of stuff when he first came along and then it seemed to dry up for a decade. Did he just lose his edge? Priced out of the market? The game changed to where his style wasn't viable anymore?

I remember he was easily baited by mind games and the like.

Arsenal built a new stadium that put them under financial constraints for about a decade and it seems that decade broke Wenger's brain. He became obsessed with developing youth instead of buying good players, which was understandable when the stadium cost meant they couldn't afford good players but isn't understandable now that they're raking in new-stadium-money. The big problem was Wenger had this dream of a homegrown team of teenagers that grew up together and played fluid football together and won things together for years and years but then when that dream was finally fulfilled it was fulfilled by Barcelona and not him because it turns out he's garbage at developing youth players and the only successful development he ever had was a kid he poached from Barcelona because English laws allowed him to offer professional contracts before Barcelona could. But his decade-long obsession with spending no money and building a fluid passing team of French teenagers meant he no longer understands how the transfer market works and no longer understands how football tactics work, which means his team are inept at signing players, inept at negotiating with players they've already signed, and inept at adapting to other teams tactically. Also they have bad American owners so they're just generally a big fail club from top to bottom.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

this is dumb as hell i hope spurs sign some huge name player and theres a malfunction in their dumb retractable pitch machinery and the big signing falls in a hole and disappears into the hydraulics forever

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Our retractable pitch is a friend to all players

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao Wenger

quote:

Arsène Wenger has lost faith in one of his guiding principles and called for financial fair play to be scrapped. The Arsenal manager says clubs have found a way to bluff around Uefa’s regulations and it has effectively rendered them unenforceable. He feels that if the Premier League is to “remain the best league in the world” the decision must be taken to revert to no financial limits.

Wenger reflected on a wild summer transfer window in which he suggested that Liverpool had most likely tapped up Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain before taking him from Arsenal for an initial £35m on 31 August. Four days earlier, the midfielder had played for Arsenal in the club’s 4-0 defeat at Anfield. Wenger said he did not know whether Liverpool had spoken to Oxlade-Chamberlain in the hours leading up to kick-off. He hoped they had not.

Wenger did not make his comments in an angry or accusatory fashion; they were underpinned by realism. In short, tapping up is a part of the modern game. Everybody does it. But Wenger was less willing to shrug off what he sees as the holes in FFP.

He was asked whether he had a view on the complaint made to Uefa by the La Liga president, Javier Tebas, about the summer spending of Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City. PSG broke the world transfer record with their £198m purchase of Neymar from Barcelona while they took Kylian Mbappé from Monaco on a season‑long loan with an option to buy him for £166m. Uefa are investigating PSG but not City, who have threatened Tebas with legal action. Wenger did have a view and it was strident.

“Financial fair play raises new questions,” Wenger said. “I always did plead for it. Today, I am not convinced that we can maintain it. Football is maybe only at the start of a huge financial investment. It has become the most powerful sport in the world. It means do we have to open the door completely to investments? It is a question we have to raise because, aAt the moment, it looks like we have created rules that cannot be respected. There is nothing worse than when you create rules that are not respected.

“Maybe we are at the crossroads and we have to think, do we open it with complete freedom to investment for people like the Chinese and Americans, who want to invest here [in England]? If you want to remain the best league in the world, that is certainly the way we have to go.

“Do I want to get rid of financial pair play? I think so because there are too many legal ways to get around it. The question, at least, has to be raised. At the moment, it looks like you can buy clubs in China and get the players there, and buy them in other clubs, then get them, after, here. You can get around [FFP]. Am I convinced that, at the moment, the rules are strong enough to make it respected? I’m not sure.”

Wenger’s remarks on tapping-up came as he explained why he was in favour of the summer transfer window closing before the start of the Premier League season. “You sit there before the games and in players’ minds, they have no clarity,” Wenger said. “Are they in? Are they out? Are they half in? Are they half out? Are they tapped up in the afternoon of the game by people who want to get them out?”

Wenger was asked whether any player in his dressing-room at Liverpool on the Sunday before last had been tapped up in advance of the game or on the day of it. It was clear that the question related to Oxlade-Chamberlain. “I don’t know,” Wenger replied.

Was it his suspicion? “Have they been tapped up?” Wenger said. “Of course. But on the day of a game? I don’t think so. I hope not. But it’s inevitable. France played against Holland on the last day of the transfer window. Do you really think that not one French player or Dutch player had phone-calls in the afternoon about do they move or not? You’re not naive enough to believe that.”

Wenger insisted that he did not regret starting with Oxlade-Chamberlain in the Liverpool game. “If I am a football player, I can perform even if Liverpool is in my head,” he said. “I don’t think that should stop you to perform. Did it? I think he was not worse than any other player on the football pitch.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/07/arsene-wenger-calls-end-ffp-rules-u-turn-arsenal

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

This seems completely fair tbh.

Sure but 1) everyone knew FFP was a joke from day one, he was literally the only person who thought it would be a real thing and his club are suffering for it, and 2) he thinks the best future for the Premier League is endless Chinese and American investment.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
We've got an Oxlade-Chamberlain we could send you on emergency loan, he plays a mean RWB

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Parity warning posted:

pundits and people on social media were mad about it

Yeah I think the big thing was a bunch of former striker pundits said "yeah that's a red but any quick striker like Mane would go for that ball the exact same way, intent is to get the ball past the keeper and score, three games is harsh"

Which, I can see that reasoning. It's clearly a red but it's also clearly an unintentional red so no harm in appealing I guess. Can't say I'm surprised the ban was upheld.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

An entire team of flat-track bullies and they still haven't figured out how to beat Stoke

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think one of Liverpool's big defensive problems is the defence hasn't really had a take-charge leader type since Carragher retired. Mignolet isn't one, Matip/Lovren/Klavan clearly aren't, and while I think Milner could be, he doesn't play at left back anymore and when he did I think he was more focused on trying to remember how to be a left back than on bossing other people around. I bet that the Liverpool defence does pretty well in training when Klopp is yelling at them and there are coaches telling them where to go and what to do. It's when they have to do that themselves for a full 90 minutes that it seems they make simple mistakes like going for the same ball, forgetting to track an opponent, or missing their marker at a set piece. If they had some rear end in a top hat CB standing in the middle yelling at them to remember what they were told I think it would make a big difference and help cut out those errors in concentration that slip into their game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm just waiting for the Weekend Web video where someone makes a chant for Romelu Lukaku to the tune of Hakuna Matata

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol he's abysmal

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Brony Car posted:

Contrary to what is stated in the report, Can is apparently okay (and Cheese and Vyelkin rejoyced).

lol he bad

imo Liverpool should try out co-managers again, let Klopp coach the front four and let Rafa coach the defence. The Transfer Committee can sign all the players. It's a foolproof plan and in the end we'll get relegated :thumbsup:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Just in case you need any more proof the transfer market is broken, Guardian says the fee is £57m. They signed him three years ago for 32m and I'm pretty sure he never signed another contract. So he went from "25" to "28" and has two years left and is refusing to play or sign for any other club and somehow that led to his value almost doubling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Bring back Michael Laudrup imo, he has a pretty stellar win record in the Qatar Stars League

• Locked thread