Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Jon Jones guilty?
This poll is closed.
Of course 89 55.28%
No way 6 3.73%
We'll wait and see 8 4.97%
Chael was right 58 36.02%
Total: 161 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I was curious about the money, so I pulled out a calculator and looked up some numbers from past fights. McGregor vs Diaz 2 did 1.6 million PPV buys, I assume most of that is domestic, so I assumed they could do it again and call it $50 each. (Some will pay the $60 price and I have no idea how much commercial PPV sales brings in, balance that with cheaper overseas prices) So, $80 million. Cut that in half because the cable and satellite providers typically get half and the promoter gets the other half. So, $40 million.

The last fight between those two brought in $7.5 million at the gate. Nevada gets 8%, and I assume the operator of T-Mobile arena gets something, so say $5 million to the promoter. Sponsorships can get up to $10 million for big events, and probably $2 million from Fox for the prelims. (Fox contract is 100mm/year, 40 events a year is 2.5 per event, but this isn't a "UFC on Fox" event) So, thats another 17 million into the pot, so I end up at $57 million to be split between the UFC and the fighters.

In major sports with unions, the split is typically 50/50, but the UFC doesn't have to be fair. However, with McGregor and Diaz, they probably have the leverage to force the UFC to be fair-ish, so I'll assume the fighter's share is 35%, with the other 65% going to WME to pay off their absurd debt. So, we're at $20 million. The co-main event will probably be a title fight that takes $1 million, there will probably be 3 random vets who each get 100k, and the other 17 fighters will average about 40k, and there's 200k worth of bonuses. Taking out all of that, we're down to $17.8 million to be split between McGregor and Diaz.

Realistically, its probably like $12MM for McGregor, so Diaz would need to be happy with about $6MM. If we think they can force the UFC to accept a 50/50 split for this one event between fighters and promotion, we're still nowhere near $20MM available to pay off Diaz, maybe he could get $8 or $9 million then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Ahh yess.... WME is hosed.

Breaking it down like this also helps explain why they were willing to let Conor go fight Mayweather. This huge McGregor vs Diaz 3 hypothetical PPV event, which is the biggest fight they can make right now, looks like it sends less money to WME than what they were able to pocket from the freakshow.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The UFC and Reebok are making a big deal about new fight uniforms for title fights and for all main events, starting this weekend. Looking at the pictures, the difference looks really subtle, couple new colors, some highlights on the right thigh, but thats it. They are also going to have customized Reebok walkout t-shirts, I guess.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Embedded episode 1 is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy8_Uw6Cx6s

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

PVZ wants to move up to 125 because she doesn't want to be destroyed by Joanna someday the weight cut is apparently brutal for her.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Iaquinta retweeted this

https://twitter.com/MMARoasted/status/905497443898294273

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trast posted:

125 will have a legit roster instead of Cyborg and undersized bantams paid to get punched in the head by steroid golem.

Its actually a very compelling competition, because the move from the UFC is obvious. Whoever emerges from this tournament to become the first 125 lb champ, congrats. Now you get to face the beast from Poland who wants to be the first UFC women's 2 division champ.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Cowboy is headlining in Poland

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/905810733522460673

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/905854011085012992

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

JHomer722 posted:

I should know this, and I refuse to google it, but is Nick Diaz officially retired?

No. The UFC also continues to offer him a fight every 6 months so that they can extend his contract when he refuses.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The good news is that we now have a scientific experiment to determine the absolute minimum number of PPV buys the UFC can ever get from a PPV that the casual fans don't give even the slightest poo poo about.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/906177817007734785

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I was wondering why Cejudo wasn't just simply elevated to the main event, and if Dana was punishing DJ, but thats not it. Edmonton does not allow replacements within 48 hours of the fight.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Nate Diaz will corner Giblert tomorrow

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evobatman posted:

Joanna is fighting Rose in New York!

RIP Rose

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

chaleski posted:

Does this finally put the dick pills excuse to rest? It's annoying when every positive test has a slight "well, TECHNICALLY it could supplements" excuse lingering over it that fighters and their camps always use

The stuff Jon Jones tested positive for is sure as hell not going to be in supplements or dick pills.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Memento posted:

Joe Rogan is brutally credulous when it comes to this issue.

And other things like this. And things not like this. Anything, really.

It took him a very long time to accept that the moon landing wasn't faked. To his credit, he never believed in Bigfoot, 9/11 truth, or chemtrails, so he's on the lower end of the "easily fooled" scale, but he's still on the scale.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The CSAC has just overturned the last Jon Jones-Cormier bout to a No Contest

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bombadilillo posted:

So they overturned the fight to a no contest. Do they have to 'strip the title'? Or does that mean he never won so DC is still champ but just sad now.

That is completely up to the UFC, California doesn't decide who has the title.

They will probably declare it vacant, but they could give it back to DC if they wanted to, I guess.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

tesilential posted:

I can easily refute that by stating that UFC hires USADA and can dictate to them anything they want.

no, you really can't.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Chris James 2 posted:

He took something that doesn't show up in piss tests but does in blood tests

Nope, other way around. He tested positive for something that does not show up in blood tests.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bombadilillo posted:

Im not one for :tinfoil: but passing all through leading up to the fight and then popping for a long term use substance doesn't make sense. That why I asked if the concentrated from the weight cut, has any basis in chemical reality.

That is a theory some people are speculating, that he tried to take it at a level that is too low to detect, but he failed to account for what happens when he's dehydrated.

Its more plausible than someone nefariously somehow getting it into his system without his knowledge.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

EmmyOk posted:

The UFC covering an initial failure up is pretty dumb considering they didn't do that for 200 if it were even a possibility.

Its also USADA, hiring them as an independent administrator is literally the only thing that made people pause and go "oh..... huh, I guess the UFC is actually getting serious". USADA is pretty much above question in the world of anti-doping.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mewse posted:

USADA is larger than the UFC. They're a NGO non-profit that receives federal funding. They do the testing for the olympics. Their integrity is more valuable than "well the UFC pays us I guess we can bury these test results".

Yep. Uncovering proof that USADA is helping the UFC cheat their own anti-doping system would be explosive news to the point of being an existential threat to USADA itself. There would be a massive congressional investigation.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

EmmyOk posted:

Oh yeah I know. I meant even if that guy thought a cover-up was possible then they had way better times they would have chosen for example 200.

The most I might go along with is a situation where if some samples for several fighters on a card were collected at the borderline of being before/after the fight and the UFC refuses to pay extra to fast-track those samples.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like Nevada must have approved a request to add a 13th bout. If not formally, then informally.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/908075554011676672

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skip My Posts posted:

wonder if mighty mouse will still fight when borg misses weight

He needs the money, so probably

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CommonShore posted:

Under the newish "if someone misses weight" rules it might still be considered a title defence. In the event of a challenger missing weight and winning, the title becomes vacant. I remember reading about that when the current "one-way title shot" rules (e.g. Holloway-Pettis) became official practice a few years back, but I can't find it now.

I don't believe the title becomes vacant if the challenger misses weight and wins. Its no longer a title fight and doesn't count as a title defense (which is why people were saying DJ would be screwed if TJ missed weight). The basic idea is the guy who has the disadvantage (made weight) isn't punished by a loss, which is why the challenger still gets the belt if he beats a champ who misses weight

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shevchenko wants to move to 125

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/908344724511232009

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

You also have to imagine that in a world where Jon Jones never tested positive for anything, never hit-and-ran, and had anything resembling a clean image, he'd have some absurdly lucrative endorsement opportunities, movie offers, etc. Its not just what he lost on years worth of fights that didn't happen. He's thrown away a metric fuckton of money over his career.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like Chris Leben wants to be a MMA ref

https://twitter.com/HerbDeanMMA/status/908802831217344514

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

wow

Werdum's reps need to take over his social media, that poo poo doesn't play anymore in north america.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

maffew buildings posted:

he is a Brazilian who split time in Spain as a youth, his pc tolerance never stood a chance

Yeah, I don't expect a brazilian cage fighter to be super-PC, I'm more concerned on his behalf because I like him. I don't really want to see him get dragged through an apology like Cowboy.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dirt posted:

No thread for tonight's card?

This card has been great so far. I'm afraid if we make a thread, we might jinx it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/MMATodayNews/status/909232686371401728

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

A LHW replacement 1 week out for a card in Japan sounds very difficult to pull off.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The prelims didn't give the judges much of a chance to work, but they seem to be really bad tonight.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rigel posted:

A LHW replacement 1 week out for a card in Japan sounds very difficult to pull off.

I stand corrected

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hopefully the UFC rewards Okami for taking a last-minute beating by giving him another chance at MW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Somewhat-solid win for Rockhold. He hasn't earned the rematch yet, but the UFC needs to give him a top-5 opponent.

• Locked thread