Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Jon Jones guilty?
This poll is closed.
Of course 89 55.28%
No way 6 3.73%
We'll wait and see 8 4.97%
Chael was right 58 36.02%
Total: 161 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eidolov is just beating that guys rear end. Made a GDT since no one else did

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832798

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kaddish posted:

I love Nate but does he really deserve +/- 20 million to fight Conor?

Discuss.

Same and no.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Le Saboteur posted:

They probably couldn't put Mighty Mouse on the shirt due to it still being an actively trademarked intellectual property.

Mighty Mouse the cartoon mouse may be, but Mighty Mouse Johnson is a distinct personality and can use that freely. Apple and CBS (current holder of MM IP) already lost a court case over trying to claim exclusive rights to "mighty mouse" outside of the cartoon itself.

This is just reebok being horrible at their jobs yet again.

Edit: For a quick bit of clarification, Apple used to sell a "mighty mouse" and had a license from CBS to use the name. Another computer company had been using a computer peripheral for years prior called a mighty mouse, sued, and won because it had exclusive use to mighty mouse in the computer device world. Similarly, DMMJ is a distinct and discernible entity from a cartoon mouse. Reebok could put DMMJ on a UFC jersey all day long and there isn't a thing CBS could really do to stop it. Now, if they put MM the cartoon mouse on a UFC jersey, they could be stopped from using the IP.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 5, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Le Saboteur posted:

That suit was another company with a mouse called "Mighty Mouse" suing Apple. And in court documents it showed Apple licensed the use of the Mighty Mouse name from CBS. https://www.law360.com/ip/articles/57079/apple-cbs-sued-over-mighty-mouse-trademark

I know. That's why I said Apple & CBS lost the case. CBS does not have exclusive use to the words "Mighty Mouse" is the point I was making.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chichevache posted:

They couldn't do this event with Joanna Champion?

They're not going to put a semi-popular champ on a fightpass card that airs mid day USA.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean, who do you think JJ is, mighty mouse?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I am Otis posted:

Nick even said at some point after beating Lawler that he didn't want to take any more Robbie Lawler punches.

That's not good for your head... no

https://vine.co/v/ODpVamupXA5

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Auron posted:

Hahahaahahahah this makes DJ ducking TJ even more hilarious.

Coward baby

DJ didn't duck TJ.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mewse posted:

Seems weird that this happens before the UFC has officially stripped him (for the 3rd time)

The UFC can't change a fighter's record or anything. Only the AC can overturn a fight.. Since the AC has overturned the fight, now the UFC will finally formalize stripping him of the title.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skip My Posts posted:

He went back for his bud

And his cash.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

1st AD posted:

Kicken' Nightmares
*channeling inner carnac the magnificent
What is Gilbert Melendez's sleep filled with?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Didn't even know about this fight gently caress sounds like prelims were good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That was a bad fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

OSP v Okami lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Okami wasn't huge at 185. He's gonna get whomped by OSP at 205.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lol they hosed up the graphic so they just listed it as OSP 2 v Okami

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah he's gonna be tiny compared to OSP.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Big dan has been getting some sun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

God drat he murdered a man.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I've never heard of either of these guys before but that was a cool round

That was one of the craziest rounds I've seen in a long time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hell of a loving fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Remember when hendo killed lombard with an elbow?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Unfunny Poster posted:

Am I wrong, or was Henri Hooft in Rockholds corner?

He was indeed. The announcers mentioned that Rockhold wasn't able to train at AKA for this fight because all of his regular training opponents (cain, DC, etc) were injured or busy doing something else so he trained with Hooft and some other people.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Condit should fight Cowboy and Robbie should fight Perry.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skip My Posts posted:

Kenny florian made some good points about rockhold not correcting the mistakes that bisping exploited against branch and said that guys are onto the flaws in his boxing. He said it should be Romero next which I agree with

I had a customer today at the taco truck ask if I saw the travesty of the GGG/Canelo scorecards and then said that Rockhold got solved by Bisping and was shocked Branch didn't finish him.

Unless he cleans up some of his flaws, Rockhold is going to get hit a lot more.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Duck of Death posted:

He already has three although one was to a Sopranos extra ten years ago and the other to the personification of steroids.

I dug into it, the guy that beat him, Tony Rubalcava, was fined and suspended following the fight for tampering with his drug test sample. So it looks like Rockhold's only ever been knocked out by steroid abusers and Michael Bisping.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

david carmichael posted:

Non steroid vitor would beat like rockhold

Maybe. I could see it going a lot like the Branch fight, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Neon Belly posted:

If Dana White is against expanding the boxer protection laws for MMA fighters, clearly it's actually good thing, right?

https://imgur.com/a/bP2O8

Yes and no. The Ali Act hasn't really done much other than to help people like Floyd make shittons of money. It doesn't help the guys on the bottom of the card anymore than the system did before.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It's confirmed for UFC 218 on December 2. Henry Cejudo vs. Sergio Pettis on the same card is in the works too.

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/913178423350124544

That fight is gonna be sick. Reem is either gonna kickbox a newbie up and welcome him to the top with his first loss or we're gonna see him get knocked stupid.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Basically get as close as you can to the floor seats without actually being on the floor. I've been to three events in Orlando and Tampa, and with each we were the first row or two above the ground. It's the best place to watch from.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gay Horney posted:

the best is eye level with the cage. Go down too far and you're looking up into the cage and you can see the mat and poo poo and it's not that good of a viewing experience. lower bowl about 1/3 of the way up depending on where you are I guess.

At both the Tampa and Orlando venues the seats directly above ground were basically what you're describing. Also being right up at the rail is how Lobster Mobster and I ended up on TV at multiple events. We also got to high five and fistbump a bunch of fighters.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Neon Belly posted:

It certainly seems like it gives greater negotiation power though, no? Obviously, this helps the guy with a lot of capital who can negotiate these ways, but it seems that diversification of available MMA promoters alone would do well for a lot of fighters on the come up.

The Ali Act in MMA would be a boon to Conor McGregor but Joe Duffy would probably end up much worse off. See, for example, the disparity between the pay at the top and bottom of boxing cards vs your standard UFC cards.

It is also hard to argue that the Ali Act should even apply to MMA. The number one reason that congress put in the act for passage was because there was no centralized sports league. There hasn't ever really been a single boxing organization like the UFC that ran 100% of the production and an actual fighting league. Nothing remotely as monolithic.

Here are the findings from the act:

quote:

"(1) Professional boxing differs from other major, interstate professional sports industries in the United States in that it operates without any private sector association, league, or centralized industry organization to establish uniform and appropriate business practices and ethical standards. This has led to repeated occurrences of disreputable and coercive business practices in the boxing industry, to the detriment of professional boxers nationwide.

"(2) State officials are the proper regulators of professional boxing events, and must protect the welfare of professional boxers and serve the public interest by closely supervising boxing activity in their jurisdiction. State boxing commissions do not currently receive adequate information to determine whether boxers competing in their jurisdiction are being subjected to contract terms and business practices which may violate State regulations, or are onerous and confiscatory.

"(3) Promoters who engage in illegal, coercive, or unethical business practices can take advantage of the lack of equitable business standards in the sport by holding boxing events in States with weaker regulatory oversight.

"(4) The sanctioning organizations which have proliferated in the boxing industry have not established credible and objective criteria to rate professional boxers, and operate with virtually no industry or public oversight. Their ratings are susceptible to manipulation, have deprived boxers of fair opportunities for advancement, and have undermined public confidence in the integrity of the sport.

"(5) Open competition in the professional boxing industry has been significantly interfered with by restrictive and anticompetitive business practices of certain promoters and sanctioning bodies, to the detriment of the athletes and the ticket-buying public. Common practices of promoters and sanctioning organizations represent restraints of interstate trade in the United States.

"(6) It is necessary and appropriate to establish national contracting reforms to protect professional boxers and prevent exploitive business practices, and to require enhanced financial disclosures to State athletic commissions to improve the public oversight of the sport."

Now these are just the basis for Congress passing the law, but the boxing world of the 80s and 90s is a completely different beast than the MMA market of today. There is an established professional league that has appropriate rankings. The state commissions are doing basically all of the things now that they weren't back then for all combat sports. Open competition in MMA isn't near as restricted because there really is only one major league and a few major-minor (Bellator/WSOF) with a smattering of local minor leagues with relatively free movement between them. Although there is some exceptions, we generally do get to see the best fighters fight each other. The reason that we don't isn't usually because of restrictive contracts.

Do I think that the UFC's exclusive contracts and their treatment of fighters as independent contractors is wrong? Absolutely. The UFC is a sports league, and fighters are no different than players in any other league and deserve rights respective to those. The Ali Act doesn't provide for that.

If the UFC was just one of say a hundred equally sized fighting leagues that all shared exploitative and restrictive contracts that prevented fighters from ever leaving or fighting for another league, then the Ali Act might be something that should come into play. It isn't, though, so it should be treated more like other sports leagues.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 28, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ICHIBAHN posted:

Gay slur at the end from Tony? Esta maricon?

Werdum was throwing that and a lot of others at him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Auron posted:

Why is that idiot speaking a different language to an English speaker when he speaks fluent English? Sounds like bitch move

Werdum sucks

Werdum cussed him out in both spanish and portuguese you want him to cuss him out in a third language, too?

Tony speaks spanish and was cussing back at him, which prompted werdum to chew him out in spanish before going back to portuguese.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

el cuycuy knows what maricon means.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

UFC Oct - If you ain't cheating you ain't trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Work Friend Keven posted:

I'm glad the Cheater Jon Jones has been stripped of the title and the champion is once again a fighter we know is clean: a 45 year old guy who's stronger than everyone he fights 🤔

It's not our fault Jackson-Wink doesn't have a good steroid guy.

• Locked thread