Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I guess I should chime in because I feel partially responsible for the wagon forming on Keane, which started after I asked him to clarify his claim.

chaoslord posted:

I'm gonna ##vote Keane
I am suspicious of the whole n0 Kash thing. I know Keane likes to make joke claims but he tends to do that in an over the top way like "COP" or something, making it really obvious he is joking. He started today off with apparently serious claiming the death of Kash. While it's possible for someone to genuinely make that mistake I guess, I just dont think Keane is usually paying that little attention to things going on. It pings me the wrong way.

Go back to page 2 and read the posts that follow Kash’s apparent “murder”. A few people (myself included) clearly did not realize that Kash wasn’t in the game. In fact, neither Kash’s “murder” or Keane’s claim were mentioned again until I quoted Keane’s post on page 6 and asked him for more information about his n0 action. Which makes me think that Keane’s post wasn’t even on anyone’s radar until I brought it up.

I’m also not reading RF as overly suspicious. It just seems like he’s trying to move the game forward, which I always appreciate. There are way too many lurkers right now, which means the scum are likely hiding in the shadows, waiting for a wagon to form so they can jump on it.

For the moment, I am not in favor of either of lynching either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Somberbrero posted:

this is the post that seems to have generated the most reaction so let's start there. i get why people are casing keane off of this, it's a lot of cavalier non-calls.

on its face, yeah this is a scummy post, but within the context of the slow day and the actual content itself, i ain't mad at it. king's reaction was weird. i don't think bif is scum. i'm not scum. yes keane could back away from this easily but he doesn't. his following posts are hip-shots but there is content there.

both of these are posts are him standing his ground, and he is pushing an actual candidate too, albeit softly.

(in regards to rf)

i would vote keane to avoid a NL but unless i really can't find anything else to work with, i don't think he's a good candidate for today.

He's not pushing an actual candidate though. He says my reaction is weird, but not only does he refuse to clarify, he doesn't actually call it scummy or call me scum.

Since you have jumped on the weird train, please explain what was weird about my reaction in detail.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
okay, i want to come back to king.

King Burgundy posted:

There are no scum janitors in this game since one already died.

this is not a useful point to make. it's obvious and irrelevant. it's quintessential fake content. when you have nothing else to say as scum, you speculate on the setup.

King Burgundy posted:

I mean, yes, it was obviously fake content, as you can tell by the context of the thread and people pretending to be their role.

And, while the second part is true, I think that is mostly because people can count on scum killing me if I'm town and sometimes they let that run a little too long.

King Burgundy posted:

Second vote, scum vote.

##vote Flerp

King Burgundy posted:

Ok, I think Somber just didn't grasp what was going on.

---

Bif, I like the way you decided to do your split personality. I've just pretty much given up, but maybe I'll make a few more nods to my persona as the opportunity arises later.

i put all those together because i want to lay out the context of the following argument clearly.

king uses the 'roleplay' aspect here as a shield. obviously not 100% of the above statements are in character, but king can choose what is relevant based on whatever is most convenient. i hate to dip into meta, but roleplaying doesn't feel very much like king.

if he's town, why not just engage me at face value? he does pull back on me, but only once he's diffused any heat on himself. it makes me very uncomfortable that we have to ignore his early game content.

preview edit: i think that's a sufficient breakdown of why your reaction was weird.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

King Burgundy posted:

He's not pushing an actual candidate though. He says my reaction is weird, but not only does he refuse to clarify, he doesn't actually call it scummy or call me scum.

Since you have jumped on the weird train, please explain what was weird about my reaction in detail.

yes, i agree that keane is not playing well and could explain himself better. in the context of this relatively quiet game and keane being keane i don't think that's the slam dunk you seem to think it is though.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

b-minus1 posted:

For the moment, I am not in favor of either of lynching either of them.

i was going to ask you to clarify who you WOULD vote but i see now that it is me :v i'll reread you next.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

b-minus1 posted:

Go back to page 2 and read the posts that follow Kash’s apparent “murder”. A few people (myself included) clearly did not realize that Kash wasn’t in the game.

I did. You're new so I'm giving you a pass on that, but I find it hard to believe experienced players would have actually thought that. And so that makes me believe Keane is suspect. I guess I should ask flerp, birb, and taste, since KB clearly did not believe it from his post.

Flerp, birb, taste, did yall actually think Kash was playing and had died?

b-minus1 posted:

I’m also not reading RF as overly suspicious. It just seems like he’s trying to move the game forward, which I always appreciate.

Exactly. Seems. He's not actually trying to move the game forward because he still has not voted or even named a candidate. That post was to make it look like he was participating without actually doing so.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

b-minus1 posted:

FYI I stole one of the guns normally used to kill lurkers. Not my fault, gif left the shed unlocked. I haven't decided who I'm gonna use it on, but it's not going to be pretty.

probably a dumb question but is this real?

b-minus1 posted:

Anyone who uses more than two question marks in a single post is confirmed scum

kinda scummy. throwing shade without putting any weight behind it to see if it picks up momentum?

b-minus1 posted:

haha, of course you're a PGO.

i'm not sure why town would make this post. are you implying that keane is trying to avoid an investigation or something? it seems like scum would be more concerned about a pgo than town.

b-minus1 posted:

Let's have some fun on this monday morning

##vote Somberbrero

oh so there's zero context to this vote.

yeah i'd vote binus.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i have to step away for a bit but i'll be back to finish rereading later.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Somberbrero posted:

okay, i want to come back to king.

this is not a useful point to make. it's obvious and irrelevant. it's quintessential fake content. when you have nothing else to say as scum, you speculate on the setup.

i put all those together because i want to lay out the context of the following argument clearly.

king uses the 'roleplay' aspect here as a shield. obviously not 100% of the above statements are in character, but king can choose what is relevant based on whatever is most convenient. i hate to dip into meta, but roleplaying doesn't feel very much like king.

if he's town, why not just engage me at face value? he does pull back on me, but only once he's diffused any heat on himself. it makes me very uncomfortable that we have to ignore his early game content.

preview edit: i think that's a sufficient breakdown of why your reaction was weird.

How is what I did not engaging you at face value? What is that supposed to mean?

You didn't understand what I was doing and I explained it. What is the response you expected me to take here that you think would be "normal"?

I love role playing. I do it multiple times a week. But I probably haven't done it much in mafia, given the nature of the game. I'm pretty confident I've done it briefly before too, but note, I didn't even put much effort into continuing it in this game either.

Also claiming I pulled back only after diffusing heat seems like scum narrative to me. Because among other things, it all happened in the course of 6 minutes as I caught up and read. I note you don't include the post where I obviously realized you were just confused:

King Burgundy posted:

Somber has obviously not figured out who I am.

I would actually vote Somber now for that last bit, but I like Keane better.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

chaoslord posted:

I did. You're new so I'm giving you a pass on that, but I find it hard to believe experienced players would have actually thought that. And so that makes me believe Keane is suspect. I guess I should ask flerp, birb, and taste, since KB clearly did not believe it from his post.

Flerp, birb, taste, did yall actually think Kash was playing and had died?

Exactly. Seems. He's not actually trying to move the game forward because he still has not voted or even named a candidate. That post was to make it look like he was participating without actually doing so.

i did for a second and then i looked back and saw that he was never in the game :(

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

chaoslord posted:

Yeah, the thing that is throwing me off about it, is since when does RF even care enough to do that?

But it was a truly bad post.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, the thing that is throwing me off about it, is since when does RF even care enough to do that?

But it was a truly bad post.

Even though I don't feel great about you either, I generally agree about Opop.

I also believe if your posts are so poorly worded that you have to retroactively explain them than you probably aren't being very genuine

##vote RF

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Somber seems pretty solid to me this game, not sure why anyone would want to vote for him

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Even though I don't feel great about you either, I generally agree about Opop.

I also believe if your posts are so poorly worded that you have to retroactively explain them than you probably aren't being very genuine

##vote RF

Cool, since this is the first you've mentioned me, please expand on why.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Somberbrero posted:

probably a dumb question but is this real?

No, it was a jokepost made during jokephase. I thought that was obvious.

Somberbrero posted:

kinda scummy. throwing shade without putting any weight behind it to see if it picks up momentum?
See above.

Somberbrero posted:

i'm not sure why town would make this post. are you implying that keane is trying to avoid an investigation or something? it seems like scum would be more concerned about a pgo than town.
I found it amusing because in the last game I played (which just ended) a scum player killed his fellow scum partner and then claimed PGO in order to prove town status. I called bs and ended up being correct. This has nothing to do with this current game and probably was better left unsaid.

Somberbrero posted:

oh so there's zero context to this vote.
You’re right, there was no context. Hence the “having fun” part of that post.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

Cool, since this is the first you've mentioned me, please expand on why.

Because you are a butt

I just don't like your overall tone so far, you don't seem like the town KB I know and love

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Because you are a butt

I just don't like your overall tone so far, you don't seem like the town KB I know and love

Rofl. Ok.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

B-minus not taking any guff this game, riding all high on previous successes. I like it

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

See, now you are scared because you know I am on to you

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hal Incandenza posted:

See, now you are scared because you know I am on to you

Nope. You are wrong, but I can't actually argue with tone or gut reads. But they are fair.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
In the middle of writing up on Somber again, I came over this post again, and now it actually bothers me more than Somber:

King Burgundy posted:

Spreadsheet hat on.

There are no scum janitors in this game since one already died.

Got it!

Also, insert random thing about birb here.

Somber described this post as "obvious and irrelevant" but I actually think it's worse than that. I'm trying to see what value this post possibly has for town, and I don't see any. If KB is town, he can't possibly know this to be true, so there's absolutely no reason to make this post. There very well could be a janitor in this game, I fail to see how a N0 flavour kill changes the odds of that. All this post does is spread potential misinformation. If he's scum though, well, it spreads potential misinformation. I really find it hard to believe that KB could be anything but scum.

##vote KB

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

Nope. You are wrong, but I can't actually argue with tone or gut reads. But they are fair.

Well there is still plenty of time for you to straighten out and convince me

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Kasumeat posted:

In the middle of writing up on Somber again, I came over this post again, and now it actually bothers me more than Somber:

Somber described this post as "obvious and irrelevant" but I actually think it's worse than that. I'm trying to see what value this post possibly has for town, and I don't see any. If KB is town, he can't possibly know this to be true, so there's absolutely no reason to make this post. There very well could be a janitor in this game, I fail to see how a N0 flavour kill changes the odds of that. All this post does is spread potential misinformation. If he's scum though, well, it spreads potential misinformation. I really find it hard to believe that KB could be anything but scum.

##vote KB

This... seems like a bit of a reach

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kasumeat posted:

##vote KB

smh

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So think it through and please provide the scum motivation for me making that post.

"Oh man, I can't wait to fool all these town by making sure they don't think there is a janitor in this game!" ?

Keeping in mind that Janitor is one of the more obvious roles in terms of demonstrated effect on the game.

Please explain my scum strategy.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Hal Incandenza posted:

This... seems like a bit of a reach

Please explain why town would make that post.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
JFisk, YT and Slasher hawke need to post more.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kasumeat posted:

It's been explained. I was roleplaying as Bif.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Kasumeat posted:

I mean he was role playing.

It could be scummy, but I don't think scum KB is desperate to create fake content early.

Mostly I take issue with "I don't see how he isn't scum"

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

b-minus1 posted:

JFisk, YT and Slasher hawke need to post more.

See, this is actually an example of a post scummier than what KB did

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Hal Incandenza posted:

care to explain why nudging lurkers to contribute something meaningful is scummy?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

King Burgundy posted:

How is what I did not engaging you at face value? What is that supposed to mean?

You didn't understand what I was doing and I explained it. What is the response you expected me to take here that you think would be "normal"?

That's like the central premise of my post dude. Rather than addressing the scummy content of those posts, it's brushed off as roleplay.

King Burgundy posted:

I love role playing. I do it multiple times a week. But I probably haven't done it much in mafia, given the nature of the game. I'm pretty confident I've done it briefly before too, but note, I didn't even put much effort into continuing it in this game either.

... obviously I'm talking about roleplay within a mafia context. Why would your personal role play experience be relevant here?

King Burgundy posted:

Also claiming I pulled back only after diffusing heat seems like scum narrative to me. Because among other things, it all happened in the course of 6 minutes as I caught up and read. I note you don't include the post where I obviously realized you were just confused:

That's just your narrative.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hal Incandenza posted:

I didn't think so, I'm all for prodding lurkers, but looking at it more closely, one thing strikes me as odd about it:

SLASHER HAWKE 20
chaoslord 19
Kasumeat 19
Hal Incandenza 19
Retro Futurist 18
Jonathan Fisk 17
Yorkshire Tea 7

So Slasher Hawke needs to post more, but Chaos/Kasu/Hal/RF are totally fine.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

b-minus1 posted:

No, it was a jokepost made during jokephase. I thought that was obvious.

See above.

I found it amusing because in the last game I played (which just ended) a scum player killed his fellow scum partner and then claimed PGO in order to prove town status. I called bs and ended up being correct. This has nothing to do with this current game and probably was better left unsaid.

You’re right, there was no context. Hence the “having fun” part of that post.

##vote b-minus1

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

So think it through and please provide the scum motivation for me making that post.

"Oh man, I can't wait to fool all these town by making sure they don't think there is a janitor in this game!" ?

Keeping in mind that Janitor is one of the more obvious roles in terms of demonstrated effect on the game.

Please explain my scum strategy.

This is fair, I got excited and didn't think this through. I still don't see why town would make that post . . .

King Burgundy posted:

It's been explained. I was roleplaying as Bif.

But I suppose that could explain it.

##unvote

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

King Burgundy posted:

I didn't think so, I'm all for prodding lurkers, but looking at it more closely, one thing strikes me as odd about it:

SLASHER HAWKE 20
chaoslord 19
Kasumeat 19
Hal Incandenza 19
Retro Futurist 18
Jonathan Fisk 17
Yorkshire Tea 7

go back to the op and read each of their posts. Slasher hawke has posted like 3 times in the last 2 days, and most recently "yawn". Those 20 posts don't contain much substance and he deserves to be called out for it

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Somberbrero posted:

That's like the central premise of my post dude. Rather than addressing the scummy content of those posts, it's brushed off as roleplay.

... obviously I'm talking about roleplay within a mafia context. Why would your personal role play experience be relevant here?

That's just your narrative.

A) You think it is scummy because it seems fake, correct?
B) I agreed it was fake, because I was roleplaying, correct?

A+B = Yes, I addressed it directly. You are trying to present a false narrative.

If you want to continue trying to sell this, please provide me with an example of words you would have expected from me on this that you would have found "normal". The reason I keep asking for this, is because I think this is all fake and I don't think there is anything you can provide here.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

King Burgundy posted:

also, all four of these posters have been active today. Why call them out when they're contributing now?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

b-minus1 posted:

care to explain why nudging lurkers to contribute something meaningful is scummy?

I personally think lurker callouts are lazy and meaningless and just a subtle way of throwing shade and trying to appear more townie

Yes we all know known low-post count players JFisk and YT and slasher should post more. They know they should post more. Pointing it out is just empty content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

King Burgundy posted:

A) You think it is scummy because it seems fake, correct?
B) I agreed it was fake, because I was roleplaying, correct?

A+B = Yes, I addressed it directly. You are trying to present a false narrative.

If you want to continue trying to sell this, please provide me with an example of words you would have expected from me on this that you would have found "normal". The reason I keep asking for this, is because I think this is all fake and I don't think there is anything you can provide here.

king this is exactly my point. when you can say 'i was roleplaying' in response to scummy content, it gives you the ability to deflect any criticism. i probably would have dropped it on my own if not for your continued insistence that you don't see the point at all here. there are serious points embedded within your roleplay but i'm not allowed to address them because it's all being painted with the same brush.

• Locked thread