Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hello I am here to berate newbies in an effort to make them learn.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Wait wait.

If I'm someone else does this mean I have to RP as someone who thinks D1 lynches are good?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay screw it from now on I'm properly RPing as my character.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh god D1 effortposting is really loving hard.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

b-minus1 posted:

The scum are among us right now

Oh gently caress.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Whatever happened to Happybrero

He was eaten by the dastardly jokephase.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hal Incandenza posted:

I personally think lurker callouts are lazy and meaningless and just a subtle way of throwing shade and trying to appear more townie

Yes we all know known low-post count players JFisk and YT and slasher should post more. They know they should post more. Pointing it out is just empty content

I'm actually genuinely trying to read people today because I promised I'd RP as my mafia player.

I just have a massive problem with analysis on D1.

Everything I've read just seems like plausibly townie behaviour being misread and I think baselessly levelling accusations at people is unhelpful at best.

gently caress I hate D1.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Here it is

The mega townie slap fight call

No, I'm not saying everyone's town. I'm saying that I don't have enough to go on to feel like I can make a meaningful accusation at someone.

Look, give me a few and I'll put together a case on someone. It'll be reaching as gently caress, but I'll try.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

Hey Somber, I gotta say, while KB's post about the janitor sounded a bit awkward, thanks to his roleplay voice being a bit off, his post where he just went "scummy" I read as totally and effortlessly in character, so I see nothing to criticize there, haha

Hey YT, I was wondering if you'd show up near deadline to stick to your usual stance of not wanting to lunch on D1. I thought it was more scummy that you hadn't yet, actually. I wondered if you were purposely trying to avoid bringing it up again cause it often got you lunched, even though a mostly dead D1 would be a great time to stand by your beliefs.

And here you are now, not saying to not lunch D1, just saying you personally have a hard time doing any analysis on D1, even as people are finally coming forward with reads and content. Yep, I don't feel good about this.

##vote YT

I'm around now till deadline and can move my vote, though, most likely to RF

Were I scum, I'd shitpost to get above postcount and go afk and I'd get away with it because that happens every single time. gently caress, I do that as town now because I just don't want to die D1 and miss out on playing the part of the game I actually like. Getting into slapfights about nolynch D1 got me killed a bunch so I stopped doing it and just stopped voting D1.

Anyway, I've spent like half an hour reading this thread and have got nowhere. I'll post what I think because I promised I'd at least try.

The KB / Somber slapfight has no loving legs because it's obvious that KB was just shitposting and Somber obviously just misunderstood and it's just gone on and on because nobody has anything meaningful to say.

The RF vote is literally:

RF: We should lynch someone, but the only two people saying anything are bad targets.

Everyone else: SCUM, HE WANTS TO LYNCH TOWN PEOPLE.

And like everyone else has a smattering of votes because nobody's actually said anything that's hugely scummy yet.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

chaoslord posted:

This is so wrong it's laughable. I... how in the world did you even get that from us who voted RF?

You're accusing a guy of being scum for posting "We should lynch someone" on D1 in a game of Mafia.

The only reasoning is, "He didn't provide an alternative."

I mean perhaps your man noticed there were no giant lynch targets but hasn't had time to case someone. I've seen a post like that numerous times in basically every game of mafia I've ever played.

It's a nothing statement that neither indicates scum or town.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

Hm, thats sounding better, what about Kasu and Birb though, YT?

Kasu's all over the place and is jumping on basically anyone that posts anything vaguely controversial.

To me that screams confused town player or potentially scum trying to get something going, but not enough that I'd vote.

Birb:

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

I was reread voteleaders RF and Somber and I'm leaning towards Somber based on this and his preceding posts

In a vacuum I would believe the sentiment, but Somber would have seen Bif and KB play together in some more recent games and I think someone who has been in those games with them would understand the stuff about spreadsheets. I think Somber was trying to move the game forward, but I don't think the content was genuine.

et voila ##vote Somber

Your man posts nothing all day and jumps on one of the only two people with more than one vote based on a tell that's reaching at best around an argument that should have been dead and buried forty posts ago. The icing is that it's based on the idea that Somber would associate Bif and KB with spreadsheets and know the joke when almost every game the man's run has me in it posting gigantic spreadsheets that track votes and everything people say.

It's honestly a really bad case and I think that Birb can do a lot better. It feels to me more scum than it does town because I think town Birb would be more active and wouldn't jump to a case like that.

gently caress it

##vote Slasher Hawke

That's my RP done, imma sleep. Kill me if you want.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah, I've not been around, the game opened up when I was going to bed and I'm heading into work now.

Anyway, Bif has one of the most implausible role claims I've ever seen for reasons outlined by other posters.

Two questions arise.

1. Why would Bif as scum bring up her role at all and explain it when it's obvious to anyone that it would be thought of as implausible?

2. Could Bif's rule be plausible in a 13 person game with a doc?

The second is easy if you assume scum have a strongman NK. then it's at least plausible that double protection exists. But if so why didn't scum activate it n1?
The most obvious answer to 1. Is that Bif isn't scum. The other is that Bif is bored scum and wants to try to pull out something cool.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The strongman mystery, itself then has two answers. Scum don't have a strongman and Bif is probably lying, or they do and it's limited charge.

Given how strong Bif's ability would still be even with a strongman, my thoughts on terms of game analysis is that Bif is lying.

But that being said, I don't feel like Bif is bored with this game. Which means my personality read says town.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Yo I think Bif's 3P.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yeah, I've not been around, the game opened up when I was going to bed and I'm heading into work now.

Anyway, Bif has one of the most implausible role claims I've ever seen for reasons outlined by other posters.

Two questions arise.

1. Why would Bif as scum bring up her role at all and explain it when it's obvious to anyone that it would be thought of as implausible?

2. Could Bif's rule be plausible in a 13 person game with a doc?

The second is easy if you assume scum have a strongman NK. then it's at least plausible that double protection exists. But if so why didn't scum activate it n1?
The most obvious answer to 1. Is that Bif isn't scum. The other is that Bif is bored scum and wants to try to pull out something cool.

So I asked this set of questions.

Bif answered saying that the solution was that Fisk was scum, but that doesn't follow. Fisk basically up and revealed Doctor at the beginning of the day without really being prompted too much. The slight early reticence is consistent with being a doctor and not wanting to die. So I currently don't buy that Fisk is lying.

But Bif's play hasn't made sense to me. Revealing as much info as she did is not scum behaviour, however her role is honestly ridiculous, when I compare both to my own role and the other roles being claimed.

How do you square that circle? Bif's 3P. My guess is a 3P with an alternate win condition based around lynching or vigging the correct target. Since scum atm are the biggest threat to her it makes sense that she'd reveal her role to get someone she genuinely thinks is scum lynched and since she's a party to her own, the concept of double protection on town ceases to be an important argument.

It's the best I have anyway.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Somberbrero posted:

because you're scum and she's not on your team?

Yes.

OH GOD SCUMSLIP NOOOOOOO.

In all seriousness, my reasoning is above. Find issue with that if you want.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

uh, actually he "revealed" that he was BP and he was convinced the scum tried to kill him, then only claimed doctor after I'd claimed my murder-jailer to explain why I thought he was full of bullshit for being so certain about how he had to be the NK target.

He played Doctor in the literal exact way I would have.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The slight early reticence is consistent with being a doctor and not wanting to die. So I currently don't buy that Fisk is lying.

I literally note that here and you omit that sentence for no good reason.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

because it isn't what I was addressing, which was the factual error in your post. He did not reveal his doctor claim at the start of the day without being prompted too much, quite the opposite in fact.

I felt it was obvious from the initial "I think I stopped it" post.

That said it could be because I read everything at once instead of witnessing it in real time. The lag doesn't seem great to me, but it all came while I was asleep last night.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

King Burgundy posted:

This doesn't jive. I feel like you need to reread. If we pretend Fisk is actually town doctor, doing a gambit by claiming he was BP is not at all reticent, especially given he'd have no way to know he actually successfully protected since other things could be responsible for the kill.

Gotta run, but I'll finish catching up later I guess.

Nah, a BP claim is pretty safe for a doc. You know a kill's been prevented, it's likely you that caused the prevention and you reduce your targetting chance by scum since they assume you're effectively VT.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
There's an entire day left. I'm leaning bif but that's not set in stone since I actually think killing 3p is often a bad choice, especially early in the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

King Burgundy posted:

I still like my kasu vote better, but YT lurker cuddle is fine with me if it goes that way. He is basically just posting enough to stay above the games lurker rules.

Honestly I'm out drinking tonight so do what you want. And I usually post around 9-11 my time.

Anyway, if it helps, slasher, I was RPing as Hal on D1.

I thought I'd at least try to make a case but if anything my opinion that d1 voting is stupid has been reinforced.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Like I'm on a bus right now and really really drunk so I'm not in a good place to defend myself.

Hawkes premise is that I wasn't playing like myself d1.

He is correct. I was not, I was pretending to be Hal and trying to challenge my own opinion that d1 is garbage.

My conclusion is that d1 is garbage and I should always shitpost to quota and go afk d1 because it's a waste of time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hal Incandenza posted:

If you were me you'd have solved the game on D1 sheesh

Yo Hal, Bif got vigged.

Flip happens at the end of the night.

I'm top suspect atm for RPing as you

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

incidentally, kasumeat claimed to believe i was doctor because he rolecopped me

Wait where? I missed this.

Anyway, I thought Bif's posting was town even though with the presence of a Doctor it was a massively unlikely role. But the flip now raises questions about the entire initial premise.

Occam's razor says you're lying, but your play was so similar to the way I'd play Doctor that I'm not sure you actually are and the game is just a little bananas.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

CCKeane posted:

It's suspicious as hell to me that YT was the vote leader, didn't get dunked, and today's conversation starts with talk on Kasu. I really don't like that.

I was the vote leader because it was noted d1 that I tried to case instead of just being silent.

I explained that it was because I got Hal and was trying to play as him.

The vote died because there's nothing on me beyond that.

I didn't vote yesterday because the only person with traction was myself by the end of the day.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm really not liking this Kasu vote.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's just so abrupt.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Retro Futurist posted:

He's been a contender since D1 what exactly is abrupt about it

That a bunch of votes got piled on him with no justification.

Saying "He's a contender since D1" is insufficient when we've had lots of different information since then.

To sufficiently justify a lynch you need to examine everything that's happened since then. The major contention I have is that Fisk contends that Kasu successfully rolecopped him.

Rolecop tends to be a scum role, but Kasu revealed it in masonchat anyway. This could be a reasonable double bluff, but it's terribly risky for little gain when you could just not do that and laugh your way to a Fisk lynch were you scum.

I can accept voting Kasu in light of this anyway, but I don't like that everyone voting has ignored that to begin with. It screams scumpush.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Somberbrero posted:

cool YT who *do* you want to dunk?

CCKeane

CCKeane posted:

I actually thought something pretty similar.

This is about mid D2 is response to me saying Bif's behaviour is inconsistent with scum despite Bif's role likely being a lie. I concluded third party and Keane appears to agree here.

An hour and a half after we get this from Keane:

CCKeane posted:

##vote: Bif

Well there.you go friends.

So despite seeming to agree on the Bif 3P thing, Keane then just votes Bif with no input from anyone else and no justification.

Keane only unvotes this about an hour and a half after that. This screams of scum trying to gain traction on someone and backing down when they see that it's not coming in.

CCKeane posted:

It wouldn't though. The 3P possibility was brought up by YT and I'll admit the same thought struck me, though from a different angle. So you'd prove your role, but not your alignment.

With this in mind, does this change anything?

So around midnight of the 14th, Keane still believes my own thoughts to be plausible.

And finally at 8pm drops this:

CCKeane posted:

Yeah, I'm on board.

##vote YT

There's nothing here as a justification at all. Keane has bought into my arguments all day and then suddenly up and changes vote at the last minute despite never justifying anything.

And today tries to round the vote back on me when I mention that the vote on Kasumeat seems sudden.

For the past two days, your man has done nothing meaningful.

##vote CCKeane

Peace.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

CCKeane posted:

Agree with this though.

Things CCKeane also didn't do include.

Unfortunately I'm fairly sure you're town since the NK might well have targetted you.

Like I'm unclear on the order of operations, but if I busdrove Hawke and Keane how does that interact with doc and NK?

It's either, Busdrive resolves, Hawke and Keane are swapped at which point the doc and the kill that were targetted at Hawke end up targetting Keane for a net nothing.

Or Doctor resolves on Hawke, Hawke and Keane are swapped at which point the kill that was targetted at Keane resolves on Hawke. That means Keane is town.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh yo, I'm the busdriver.

Not going to hide it now since we're late in the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah, you got me folks.

Some poo poo went down that threw me pretty badly so I wasn't spreadsheeting the game the way I usually do.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

CCKeane posted:

I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with stuff, I like playing with you even through your arguments about day one executions. Hope everything shakes out for you.

No worries, it's honestly not too bad, I just got busy and stressed with Work, my LP and a bunch of other poo poo. Like not enough for a crisis but enough that I wasn't actually paying attention the way I usually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
YES CHAOS!

• Locked thread