Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

this lady's voice is NPR-tier mellifluous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

$225K goooooooooal.

Not too shabby for an impromptu GDQ.

hemoptysis
Jan 4, 2007

y-y-YAY
:ohdear:
$225k :woop:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
when is gdq 2018's schedule going to be finalized? or at least the games chosen?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
225k. dang. great job everyone! see y'all at AGDQ 18.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Cool Matty posted:

We honestly had no idea how successful this event was going to be going in. We have a general idea for how our main events do, but this was untested waters, really. JRDQ wasn't even remotely the same scope of this. I am absolutely speechless at everyone's support on this event, even with so much else going on this weekend!

You and the other organizers and runners are helping a ton of people and you deserve so much praise. What has the staff at the Houston Food Bank thought of all this? They didn't even have a PayPal account set up until a day or two ago and now they're receiving nearly a quarter million dollars from some strangers on the internet who play video games quickly.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gj all

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Former Human posted:

You and the other organizers and runners are helping a ton of people and you deserve so much praise. What has the staff at the Houston Food Bank thought of all this? They didn't even have a PayPal account set up until a day or two ago and now they're receiving nearly a quarter million dollars from some strangers on the internet who play video games quickly.

I'm sure I will hear more from our contact once office hours are back, but she was already shocked at how well we were doing just in the first night. I'm sure a lot of people think we're blowing smoke when we pitch an event. "Largest fundraising event globally for DWB? Yeah okay sure buddy."

It's a good feeling. Honestly, this event's weird for me, because I feel like this event validates GDQ as a team, and the speedrunning community's compassion, more than any previous event. Millions of dollars is absolutely crazy, but to go from zero to $225,000 in roughly 5 days, including planning? I dunno, I just can't get over it. It's going to take me a long time to really let that sink in.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

why hasn't anyone posted the mike uyama rocky & bullwinkle ending pic

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Anyone have a timestamp link for the randomizer race?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol I kept forgetting this was a thing and missed all the games

what runs are worth going back and watching

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Anyone have a timestamp link for the randomizer race?
found the reddit vod thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/6xjaj8/hrdq_vod_thread/

and here's the randomizer race.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tetracube posted:

lol I kept forgetting this was a thing and missed all the games

what runs are worth going back and watching
Prey to watch a AAA game get torn apart
El Matador for super-glitchiness
Densha De D for train racing
TAIKER for Half tearing a Metroidvania to shreds
MGS1 to learn all about the quality PC port
Resident Evil 2 for a very entertaining WR
Pretty much all the races

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

abagofcheetos posted:

when is gdq 2018's schedule going to be finalized? or at least the games chosen?

They haven't even opened submissions yet.

That was going to happen this weekend but they pushed it back a week for this.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

beep by grandpa posted:

There's people that are exceptions of course but for me I can see next to no value for LTTP rando if you're not already semi familiar with the game and haven't beaten it a couple times to know what is required for what, etc

i mean if any game is likely to have a large number of viewers who know the game, link to the past is prolly second only to super mario world. and there are plenty of other normal runs of games that are the same way anyhow that are basically impossible to follow if you aren't already familiar with the game.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

financially racist posted:

i mean if any game is likely to have a large number of viewers who know the game, link to the past is prolly second only to super mario world. and there are plenty of other normal runs of games that are the same way anyhow that are basically impossible to follow if you aren't already familiar with the game.

I think the difference would be the puzzle aspect of what's going on in a randomizer. I've played LTTP, super metroid, Mario 64, super Mario world, but they also have a similar trajectory so you can gauge how awesome the speedrun is. You can vaguely remember a dungeon that they breeze through. Or really enjoy the idea of a slip on something you remember struggling with. And the game itself reinforces that visually with regular progression in the art and design.

A randomized run it's like a complete jumble with almost no connection to your experience. I've watched quite a few LTTP speedruns and without a solid commentary it's pretty hard to appreciate something that's going on or what any chest item means. They can even get a race crucial item and then not have it used for 30 minutes. But the outcome of the race was basically decided at that point.

That said, with a good commentator, the improvisational nature of the race can be interesting. But sometimes they're close overall but in entirely different zones, which is strange.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
OMG I'm watching the TAS block and Dwangos kids :3:

Re: Randos

I think SM randos would work better. They are much simpler overall both to map out and to explain, as it's not as complex of a game as LTTP.

That said I enjoyed the LTTP rando but I've seen several of them so I didn't find it too confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

oh god the keyboard mashing in undertale

• Locked thread