Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm looking to take a month off and see the North American countryside. I figured a good way to do it might be via sleeper train, if such a thing is available. If not, I'm open to alternatives as well.

I saw that Amtrak has similar stuff available, but that seems to be more hop-on hop-off, rather than one long guided tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

enraged_camel posted:

I'm looking to take a month off and see the North American countryside. I figured a good way to do it might be via sleeper train, if such a thing is available. If not, I'm open to alternatives as well.

I saw that Amtrak has similar stuff available, but that seems to be more hop-on hop-off, rather than one long guided tour.

There's a couple. In the US, it's in two parts. If you start on the east coast, you'd go New York (possibly other places as well) to Chicago then Chicago to San Francisco (or Seattle or LA). Canada has the Trans Canada railway which goes Toronto-Vancouver. Not sure about the TCR, but you can buy a Amtrak rail pass and do a hop on hop off thing for up to a month an a half if you like. Or just book a one way ticket for a specific date. I dont know of any tours for Amtrak at least and they are pretty much the only passenger railway in the US.

edit: This guy has a Amtrak self tour itinerary and says he can assist getting a deal on tickets. Dont know anything about him but a friend posted it on facebook some time ago.

uli2000 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 7, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Via Rail has a route across most of Canada. Doesn't come to my city so I've never used it.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
God I wish the Trans Siberian was an Express!! poo poo was like 8 nights, hot as gently caress with no showers.

Amtrak trains from Seattle, Chicago and New Orleans end in Los Angeles. Seattle is 36 hours, The Chi and NO trains must be at least 60 hours. The Trans Siberian is like 200!!!! (they ran out of TP on day 2 lol)

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Picnic Princess posted:

Via Rail has a route across most of Canada. Doesn't come to my city so I've never used it.

Via Rail's trans-Canadian services are renowned and have private showers and dining carts for the higher end cabins.

Amtrak also operated transcontinental services with sleeper cars and showers as well.

Just double check the routes and train equipment.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Casual Yogurt posted:

God I wish the Trans Siberian was an Express!! poo poo was like 8 nights, hot as gently caress with no showers.

Amtrak trains from Seattle, Chicago and New Orleans end in Los Angeles. Seattle is 36 hours, The Chi and NO trains must be at least 60 hours. The Trans Siberian is like 200!!!! (they ran out of TP on day 2 lol)

Did you do it all in one go? I can see that getting a little much but getting off here and there for a bit of sightseeing, hiking, whatever worked really well for me.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bates posted:

Did you do it all in one go? I can see that getting a little much but getting off here and there for a bit of sightseeing, hiking, whatever worked really well for me.

How did you manage that without getting mauled and eaten by Siberian Bears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

Bates posted:

In 2012 I did St Petersburg to Moscow, then Moscow to Vladivostok without getting off. Our plan was to take the boat from Vladivostok to Korea but by the time we finalized our train tickets the boat was sold out. So we landed in Vladivostok after 8 nights on the train, couldn't find a hotel, slept on the beach. Then flew to Khabarovsk where we had been the day before on the train, couldn't find a hotel, slept on the beach then flew to Tokyo. Suffer the Joy of train travel.

• Locked thread