Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Eh I didn't think Jacob Eason was very good anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
GO BLUE

Crotch Bat posted:

You don't know how lovely it is being around 45 minutes from Liberty and having them win, it's bleeding all into my social media and I'm struggling to not constantly mention how their school is insane and cares about sports so much they hired an AD from a school that casually brushed aside rape case after rape case until it caught up to him.

I hate Liberty so much, Baylor really let me down.

Some Liberty kids tried to talk poo poo with Michigan, if they can get to Harbaugh, he would absolutely schedule them to win by 100 out of purpose.

Counterfeit
May 20, 2007
Aside from the OP, there's a sad lack of Purdue football talk (unsurprising, since we've been terrible for a long time).

I was at the game and it was great, as much as you can say losing was great. Whether Louisville deserves their ranking or not, we gave them everything they could handle tonight. Defensively, Louisville killed us with passes over the middle and we couldn't sack or tackle Jackson for poo poo, but otherwise I was surprised how well they played. Offensively we were up and down, and that's what eventually failed us. But the flashes we showed were great. Blough looked really good until the interceptions, and I'm going to guess he told Brohm he just could make the throws he needed to. Sindelar played well, but it looked like he stared down the #1 receiver every play and just threw to him without going through his checkdowns. While the receivers made great plays, I think that's what let us down in the end.

Going in to the game, I would have been happy losing by 3+ touchdowns as long as the offense looked good. Losing by only 7 (with 7 of those Louisville points coming after 3 very questionable calls), makes me feels really good about the Brohm era of Purdue football.

I don't expect us to challenge for any Big 10 titles this year or anything (though a bowl game would be nice), but from what I saw tonight I think we now have a chance in every game we play.

(Oh, and everyone on Purdue's special teams should change their major so they can become astronauts and be legally shot in to the sun as soon as possible.)

Counterfeit fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 3, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--I am semi worried about playing you guys in a couple of weeks, which is a feeling I was hoping to avoid

Kinda eyes glazed over watching ESPN's College Football Final with the sound off and didn't get why this random longsnapper getting into a game for USC was a big deal. Until I saw a picture of his guide dog.

So a blind dude played a snap in a D1 football game, that's pretty cool.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
I'm happy that college football is back. Texas was rough. If you're watching CFB Final on ESPN at the moment, they're searching for answers and explanations for what the gently caress went wrong today. I'm still looking forward to Monday to watch the Tennessee Volunteers play. Until then, I think VT-WVU will hold me over.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Lessail posted:

it happened lol hope sanchez is feeling some fire under that seat

:stare:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Brohm was a very good hire, but I figured he would need another year or two to get things going and purge Hazell's dudes, but welp

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grittybeard posted:

^^--I am semi worried about playing you guys in a couple of weeks, which is a feeling I was hoping to avoid

Kinda eyes glazed over watching ESPN's College Football Final with the sound off and didn't get why this random longsnapper getting into a game for USC was a big deal. Until I saw a picture of his guide dog.

So a blind dude played a snap in a D1 football game, that's pretty cool.

Yeah, that's really cool. UCF has a LB with one hand.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
This was briefly mentioned but not enough: UNLV lost to Howard. They were favored by 45 points, making it the biggest favorite in history to lose.

The Howard coach? Mike London.

Counterfeit
May 20, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Brohm was a very good hire, but I figured he would need another year or two to get things going and purge Hazell's dudes, but welp

It was weird walking around the stadium and having most Louisville fans say they were pulling for Purdue aside from this game.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Counterfeit posted:

Aside from the OP, there's a sad lack of Purdue football talk (unsurprising, since we've been terrible for a long time).

I was at the game and it was great, as much as you can say losing was great. Whether Louisville deserves their ranking or not, we gave them everything they could handle tonight. Defensively, Louisville killed us with passes over the middle and we couldn't sack or tackle Jackson for poo poo, but otherwise I was surprised how well they played. Offensively we were up and down, and that's what eventually failed us. But the flashes we showed were great. Blough looked really good until the interceptions, and I'm going to guess he told Brohm he just could make the throws he needed to. Sindelar played well, but it looked like he stared down the #1 receiver every play and just threw to him without going through his checkdowns. While the receivers made great plays, I think that's what let us down in the end.

Going in to the game, I would have been happy losing by 3+ touchdowns as long as the offense looked good. Losing by only 7 (with 7 of those Louisville points coming after 3 very questionable calls), makes me feels really good about the Brohm era of Purdue football.

I don't expect us to challenge for any Big 10 titles this year or anything (though a bowl game would be nice), but from what I saw tonight I think we now have a chance in every game we play.

(Oh, and everyone on Purdue's special teams should change their major so they can become astronauts and be legally shot in to the sun as soon as possible.)

I was gonna lol at this but holy poo poo you guys actually got a pretty easy draw on your In-conference schedule this year.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Bedlam is probably going to be game of the year.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

PostNouveau posted:

gently caress football

:agreed:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

you can change the field, you can change the jerseys, you can change the coach but it's always the same old unlv football

either drop down or cut it altogether

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Maxwells Demon posted:

If Oregon gets >8 wins this year I'll be super happy.

But this game was pretty good in restoring my confidence that we will actually get to a bowl this year.

Same honestly. Defense smartened up, adjusted, and shut them out in the second half. They played with energy, the LBs hit their gaps, the DL got some push. Whatever their skill level, they didn't look like morons.

Offense looked like a well-oiled machine. Freeman/Herbert joint Heisman 2017.

I'm sticking with my 8-4 prediction, but I'm going to be a bit more disappointed if it goes below that, and a bit less surprised if they do better.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm probably only thinking this because it's been so long since I've had football, but I feel like there was an unusually high number of good games today. Maryland/Texas, Cal/UNC, USC/WMU, Michigan/Florida, South Carolina/NC State, Louisville/Purdue. And my team hasn't even played yet!

e: also an unusually high amount of blocked kicks

Pakled fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 3, 2017

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I feel like Oregon is going to embarrass the gently caress out of Nebraska next week.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Did you guys know that Qualcomm Stadium isn't Qualcomm anymore? The naming rights ran out last month and no one submitted another bid. Now it's just STADIUM.

Also, without the Chargers here, we can finally put our logo at midfield.

Aztecs Bitch

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

whats with the creative tarping

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Gotta do something to make a 70,000 seat stadium look full when you only regularly get 35-40k in the stadium

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
There are a lot of things to dislike about Louisville (most things that aren't Lamar Jackson), but goddamn I love their helmets.

The red chrome look works well with their all whites, and I generally hate all white uniforms.

relax-o-vision
Feb 21, 2007

Benne posted:

Apparently they're already starting the transition this year and will be FBS members in 2019

I guess the Sun Belt needed warm bodies to replace Idaho and New Mexico St.

Lol nope. Liberty will be playing as an independent.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Considering there were immediate red flags on the offense last year against BYU and Grambling State, I can take some positive away from this in that it looks like Rich Rod has managed to put a Richrod Team out on the field. The O-line was really solid and making holes big enough for not only the good Arizona running backs to break for long drives, but the bad one as well, not to mention a walk-on (who actually looks good) and the literal coach's son.

It remains to be seen what happens when Arizona is forced to pass, and we'll see really quick next week against Houston. Dawkins's form looked a lot better although the results were still pretty bad. Tate had two nice looking passes called back and then went down immediately, which is his wont.

This looks like, unless it was first game jitters, that this might be the worst Richrod defense as a whole, maybe bad enough to compete with ASU for "worst passing defense in the country," but I was really impressed with Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, that dude is a playmaker, so people are going to have to at least stay away from him.

I would say this team looks better (at least on one side of the ball) after one game than last year's team looked after one game, but I don't know if that's enough to get to a bowl or to save Richrod's job.

E: Wow I apparently could've gotten a seat upgrade to a private box for 75 bucks which would be a silly extravagance but it might have been funny to be in a private box all alone. Not sure if the joke is worth 75 dollars though.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 3, 2017

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Benne posted:

Cal: Actually beat North Carolina on the road, maybe they're not total trash this year?

:getin:

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Ole Miss gonna get at least one big upset this year. Go Chaos Bears.

Also AJ Brown is stupid good.

https://mobile.twitter.com/_/status/904154811519696896

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 3, 2017

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

STATS:

BYU less than 100 total yards, never crossed the 50, and the LSU defense pitched a shutout. Nice start.

Both coordinators are good and the roster looks up to par so I don't expect any amount of Orgeron Gumbo Goofiness to mess that situation up while the coordinators are there

LeeMajors posted:

2018 2019 UF Head Coach Dan Mullen

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsSouth/status/904064060903133184

I approve of this

Lasagna Pilot fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 3, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

week 1 feelings

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Ehud posted:

week 1 feelings

Is violating a shark cause for termination and therefore no buyout?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I just want to say Maryland winning a game, any game is amazing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hello darkness my old friend

:smithicide:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I enjoyed the yesterday football.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

lol baylor

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Michigan State started out really sluggish with a lost fumble at the goal line and another on a shotgun snap, but recovered pretty nicely to beat a MAC team (I have no idea what the state of Bowling Green is but they're usually one of the better ones. DJExile?)

Lewerke looked pretty comfortable out there and made a lot of plays with his feet. His scrambling reminded me of the Drew Stanton days. The receivers looked alright. We got a pick-six from a guy that had a stroke last year so that's cool.

The Big Ten as a whole looked pretty good this weekend. The bottom feeders hung with opponents that should theoretically have blown them out. Illinois and Northwestern won but they probably had the roughest outings.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Norfolk State lost to D-II Virginia State

I didn't even know there was just a "Virginia State" college

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

Norfolk State lost to D-II Virginia State

I didn't even know there was just a "Virginia State" college

HBCU, isn't it?

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
KICK BAMA KICK covered most of my Auburn-related feelings but I'll say it's nice to not have looming questions after week one for once. We get a very productive RB and a good WR back for the Clemson game. I feel like we didn't really open up the playbook versus Georgia Southern, which is fine. The amount of turnovers is absolutely worrying, but seeing Kam Martin and Will Hastings step up in fairly big ways was nice. Seeing the defense play well against a triple option team was also... I don't want to call it a pleasant surprise per se but I thought it'd take them a moment to dial in on an unfamiliar offense.

Also, UAB is BACK. Suck it, Bama.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Here are my Week 1 Playoff predictions that are complete bullshit but whatever I'm just making poo poo up anyway

Week 1: Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Oklahoma

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

This was briefly mentioned but not enough: UNLV lost to Howard. They were favored by 45 points, making it the biggest favorite in history to lose.

The Howard coach? Mike London.

Good for him and then. Looking forward to seeing them come home later

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Upon further reflection, I don't know what's more surprising: that we beat a very good and hyped N.C State team or that N.C. State and South Carolina played a football game that wasn't unwatchable garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I was insanely surprised at the WMU game. I figured it would be a grim day, but keeping the game close for three and a half quarters exceeded every expectation I could have dreamed of. When you're a MAC school, sometimes moral victories are the only ones you get, so I'll take it. Defense definitely was looking gassed as all hell in the 4th, I think it was a play right around 10 minutes left in the 4th where I saw their ability to stop plays finally shattered. But poo poo, in that heat, against a blue-blood P5 school, at their house? Whatevs, man, not mad at all. Our QB has some serious loving work to do, though. He'll be working the qb passing lane drill a lot this week, he threw the ball into the hands of the d-line like 7 or 8 times, not to mention the wobbly ducks he was tossing around. When your QB has a rushing touchdown, a receiving touchdown, but no passing touchdowns, that poo poo isn't sustainable. Also, Darrius Phillips loving owns, thank you for being Devon Hester 2.0 for me.

Sparty is looking achievable, especially since I'm not terribly sure how much they've improved since last season. All in all, WMU looks a lot better than I thought after the departure of their marquee players and coach, and gives me a vague hope for the future. Good on them for being cool to the blind kid, too

• Locked thread