Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
i bet un fucks a whole lot with he lil peen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
openn bomb, show vegane

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

morally adept posted:

I'm stating the obvious, but a significant percentage of Americans have proven that they're incapable of learning from past mistakes and are dead set on clinging to the false reality of American exceptionalism. The good news is, is that a war with North Korea would greatly hasten the decline of American global hegemony, and alienate friend and foe alike. I kind of want it to happen out of morbid curiosity, hell what if our bloated pork barrel military apparatus turns out to be a paper tiger?

American exceptionalism isn't a false reality. It IS reality, although it's been diminishing over time. And are you american? If so, why would you want decreased presence on the world stage? How much do you value your current way of life? It's easy to take the moral high ground until someone tries to take your comforts away.
Do I have an answer for NK? Nah, I won't presume it. But I do know that accelerationism is straight up retarded.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

morally adept posted:

I'm stating the obvious, but a significant percentage of Americans have proven that they're incapable of learning from past mistakes and are dead set on clinging to the false reality of American exceptionalism. The good news is, is that a war with North Korea would greatly hasten the decline of American global hegemony, and alienate friend and foe alike. I kind of want it to happen out of morbid curiosity, hell what if our bloated pork barrel military apparatus turns out to be a paper tiger?

Lmao yes, the American military, a paper tiger

Your head is so far up your rear end you're hallucinating

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
On many topics like; healthcare, infrastructure, education, equality ect America is exceptionally poo poo for a developed country

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
America's like a 2 year old that fished a loaded revolver out of his grandma's purse. It was cute for a bit, it still shits its pants, it has no clue how the rest of the world works, and holy crap we need to get that gun away because it just killed 3 people

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
pretty sure the 2nd exists because we know exactly how the world works

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The gun was figurative, you dolt, we don't need yet another derail

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Lmao yes, the American military, a paper tiger

Your head is so far up your rear end you're hallucinating

I very much realize that in terms of conventional warfare it isn't.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

America's like a 2 year old that fished a loaded revolver out of his grandma's purse. It was cute for a bit, it still shits its pants, it has no clue how the rest of the world works, and holy crap we need to get that gun away because it just killed 3 people

Shoot the toddler

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

google posted:

In its classic forms, American exceptionalism refers to the special character of the United States as a uniquely free nation based on democratic ideals and personal liberty.

central dogma posted:

American exceptionalism isn't a false reality

Just loving lol

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
In free nations personal liberty is measured in guns

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
A good plan might be to airdrop guns and other weapons into North Korea to raise their liberty score

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

rezatahs posted:

pretty sure the 2nd exists because we know exactly how the world works

That’s it! We need to give all the North Koreans GUNS!

Like in that movie with that huge flying stone head the spits out guns and has Sean Connery in it.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Eddy-Baby posted:

Just loving lol

Care to elaborate? Exceptionalism is an idea shared by Americans across the political spectrum. It's not some vague concept. It's rather well-defined.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

central dogma posted:

Care to elaborate? Exceptionalism is an idea shared by Americans across the political spectrum. It's not some vague concept. It's rather well-defined.

All nationalists think their country is exceptional, the idea is just a blanket to make you feel warm and special

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eddy-Baby posted:

Just loving lol

quote:

In its classic forms, American exceptionalism refers to the special character of the United States as a uniquely free nation based on democratic ideals and personal liberty.

To be honest I learned it as "this is just some poo poo we made up to justify Manifest Destiny" and that was in a high school US history class and the teacher was a conservative Reaganite. :shrug:

In 2017 it means "everyone else does X but we can't for some reason because we are different." Like healthcare, for example.

e:

quote:

The actual phrase "American Exceptionalism" is purported to have originated in the Soviet regime of Joseph Stalin as a means to condemn those who suggested that the U.S. was uniquely impervious to communist ideals.[3]

:ussr:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Three-Phase posted:

Like in that movie with that huge flying stone head the spits out guns and has Sean Connery in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOROvO2fxTc

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Ahhhh.....Zardoz. What a stupid pos 70s movie.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

central dogma posted:

Sure, perhaps the definition I quoted wasn't the best worded, but to my understanding American Exceptionalism is not the idea that America is uniquely well armed or rich. Rather it's the idea that Americans are somehow more free, more democratic (and thus, obviously better) than the inhabitants of every other nation in the world.

Hence,

Eddy-Baby posted:

Just loving lol

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Benjamin Arthur posted:

All nationalists think their country is exceptional, the idea is just a blanket to make you feel warm and special

Yah, I realize this. The idea of exceptionalism is divorced from the truth in reality. I was just confused about why the clever guy up there was just loving lolling.

Edit: okay, I see your reasoning.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

central dogma posted:

American exceptionalism isn't a false reality. It IS reality, although it's been diminishing over time. And are you american? If so, why would you want decreased presence on the world stage? How much do you value your current way of life? It's easy to take the moral high ground until someone tries to take your comforts away.
Do I have an answer for NK? Nah, I won't presume it. But I do know that accelerationism is straight up retarded.

Your correct, due to historical and materialist conditions the US has been fairly exceptional, since we had an entire continent to plunder and escaped the largest conflict in human history relatively unscathed. To clarify when I think of American exceptionalism I think of the idea that the above is true due to the blessings of a christian god, or that the united states has some sort of divine role to play on the world stage, or that Americans are some how more creative and imaginative than the peoples of other nations. I honestly think this mentality could lead to a third world war, and if America's global influence is significantly reduced, then theres less of a chance that it will be in the position to start such a conflict.

Its wishful thinking, but I'd like to think that the result of us stopping the world police act would mean ending the MIC and the redistribution of military spending into things like healthcare, education, and infrastructure. I don't believe our current life styles are sustainable and some of our comforts are going away one way or the other. I don't consider myself to be an accelerationist, a fatalist maybe, but if I actually was an accelerationist I would have gone to the polls and proudly cast my ballot for that spray tanned imbecile. In reality I'm just sitting on the side lines laughing as the magatards blow the system to smithereens. Who am I kidding, I'm a nihilistic gently caress and my only morally high ground comes from the fact that I'm not going out of my way to actively harm others like the average republican.

Beard Dandruff fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 26, 2017

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Three-Phase posted:

Comrades, hear me! Our glorious and generous leader has decreed that in exchange for every imperialist and booby-trapped weapon that you find and turn in to your local army representative, you will be given TWO EXTRA KILOS OF RICE!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sentient Data posted:

Comrades, hear me! Our glorious and generous leader has decreed that in exchange for every imperialist and booby-trapped weapon that you find and turn in to your local army representative, you will be given TWO EXTRA GRAMS OF CLAY!

ftfy

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's wrong to think that if we didn't brutally exploit everyone we'd be unable to keep our petty material comforts. The huge huge huge lion's share of wealth goes to the top .1% and that's the only reason our standard of life would decline.

And is already declining, by the way.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Still hoping I see the rich being dragged from their cars and beaten to death with shovels become a common occurrence in North America before I die.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

EvilJoven posted:

Still hoping I see the rich being dragged from their cars and beaten to death with shovels become a common occurrence in North America before I die.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

EvilJoven posted:

Lol keep hoping because the rich will have fled the continent before that happens.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

EvilJoven posted:

*shovel bounces off*

Hah, I'm glad I replaced my skin and bones with that ultra-dense mega flesh! Being rich is the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilJoven posted:

If you will it, it is no dream.

• Locked thread