Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
EDIT:
disregard everything. Already a thread. Not being able to Search sucks! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832471

Life Is Strange (2015)

French developer Dontnod (also responsible for the disappointing Remember Me) made a quirky and charming 5-part episodic choice-based dialogue-heavy story-centric adventure game (deep breath) á la Telltale Games - which at the time made Telltale's efforts, especially Game of Thrones, look amateurish with their stilted animations, railroading and generic voice acting.
(old thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698214)

You played shy waifish hipster teen Max Caulfield in the small fictional town of Arcadia Bay, Oregon who rediscovers her relationship with childhood best friend Chloe Price and together they attempt to solve the town's mysteries. Max finds out she has time-altering powers and mainly uses them to resolve awkward social situations as the game largely focuses on smaller teen dramas and everyday small town issues that would be standard in a TV show, but aren't usually handled by video games.

The story also featured: issues of teen melancholy, bullying, depression, suicide, the economic burden of American healthcare, sexuality, abusive step-parents, time travel shenanigans, a coming supernatural disaster, a well rounded cast of characters, a missing girl in a small town and accompanying Twin Peaks references, emotionally difficult choices, American teens written by middle-aged French nerds, a terrific indie soundtrack, a divisive disappointing final chapter, and tears. Lots of tears. There are compilations of streamers and LPers outright weeping at various moments of the game.

I really liked it because it made me feel feelings in my robot heart. Which brings us to:

Life Is Strange: Before The Storm

A three-part prequel in which you play as troubled teen Chloe Price three years before the events of the first game, seemingly focused around her relationship with Rachel Amber while struggling with the loss of her best friend who moved away and the death of her father. Episode 1 released 31st August 2017 on Steam, Xbox One and Playstation 4.
  • Developed by Deck Nine Games instead of the original team and writers at Dontnod.
  • Due to a union strike, the original voice of Chloe (Ashly Burch) was unavailable and has been replaced by Rhianna DeVries.
  • A new engine that seems to feature improved lighting and facial animations.
  • The time rewinding mechanic is absent, instead Chloe has a "Backtalk" ability, a more gamified dialogue tree with a timer, sort of in the vein of Insult Sword Fighting from the Monkey Island series.
  • Original soundtrack from the band Daughter.
  • DLC/Deluxe Edition offering alternate costumes, promises an extra chapter playing as a young Max Caulfield and a Mix Tape feature that lets you customise the game's soundtrack (apparently not very good).
  • Episode 2 release date unknown.

BUT WAIT, doesn't some of that sound terrible? An unnecessary prequel to a choice-based game where you know the eventual fixed outcome of the location and characters including the protagonist doesn't sound very interactive at all! And it's not even made by the same people? And they couldn't even get the main character's voice actor back?

Despite the concerns, the reception to the first episode both critically and from skeptical superfans has been very positive, praising the character writing, the graphics, the soundrack and that the new dev team truly seem to have a reverence for the original and really paid attention to the smaller details.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hella

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good write up but there's already a thread for this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832471

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 3, 2017

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Larryb posted:

Good write up but there's already a thread for this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832471

Forget the old thread, live in the moment, enjoy it while lasts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghetto Prince posted:

Forget the old thread, live in the moment, enjoy it while lasts.

Fair enough. My only real issue so far is that the game doesn't really have much of a plot to speak of (there's no mystery, no real stakes and it generally just feels like more of a slice of life thing right now, though that could be the point). Otherwise this is a lot better than I was expecting (the D&D scene is probably the highlight of the episode in my opinion).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 3, 2017

• Locked thread