Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

This month's premise is simple: You know all that non-gun bullshit that we accumulate all over our hoses the second we get even the humblest of Mosins? Let's talk about that poo poo. Everything - cleaning supplies, snap caps, magazines (ammo-holding), reloading gear, range bags, earmuffs, spotting scopes, mag loaders, magazines (publications), lube, bipods, scopes (non-spotting), gloves, hats - if it relates to guns but doesn't actually shoot, it's fair game.

Why this concentration for this month? Well, frankly we don't talk about a lot of this crap as much as we should and there is a LOT of it out there. Some of it is awesome to the point of near ubiquity (hoppes no 9, various goon favorite auto lubes re-purposed for guns, etc), while some of it is just plain garbage (see: gently caress near anything under the Remington brand). I mean, gently caress, how many random gun cases or holsters or range bags has your average shooter tried out?

These are also the backbone of guns as a brick and mortar business. All those corner gun shops you see make relatively thin margins on selling you a rifle, but will make (relatively) bank if you decide to snag a magazine or speed loader or something on the way out the door.

Don't feel like you need to make a single giant megathread for all things gloves, for example. If you want to do some crazy effort post where you compare the 20 different flavors of Mechanix that you've owned in the past 10 years by all means go for it, but if you happen to want to tell the world that that one shooting rest you bought at Bass Pro sucked donkey cock, go for it.

The same as with last month's box thread, the motto here is . JUST. loving. POST. If your thread sucks no one will comment on it and your shame will quickly drift off the front page, never to be seen again. If your thread sucks and people start talking about their favorite brand of bore butter or whatever then hey, you did a good thing!

Feel free to interpret this month's theme broadly. I'd love to see some product review-type things (see my example thread here) but creativity is of course a good thing.

As always I'll hand out some forums BS to the OPs of the thread that, in my completely arbitrary and biased judgement, I think are really great.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Oh hey how about that I posted a thread to match this already last night.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832865

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Working Worked on a mediocre post about a vintage scope mount. It's kind of a hybrid box/accessories thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832947&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Also doing up a hybrid post on my daewoo dr200 and the parts i used to make it scary.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832973

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 5, 2017

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

Time might lead me to nowhere; Fate might break me apart; I'll always be thankful that once, along life's journey I found the unchanging Imperishable in you.

What are the best sniper rifle components? Assuming you were to assemble one from scratch?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The most important ingredient is to start with a Mosin rifle as your base.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shima Honnou posted:

The most important ingredient is to start with a Mosin rifle as your base.

im pretty stoked about nc star scopes

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

You want an archangel stock as well, and a clip on compensator.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Soupisgood posted:

You want an archangel stock as well, and a clip on compensator.
Check the box, I think those are called "rifle grenades".

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Metal shop/garage storage cabinets. Gray or tan?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tan.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Green, institutional green if you can find it.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Comfy sponk posted:

Green, institutional green if you can find it.

Duplicolor's got your back.

phone posting sucks

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 12, 2017

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

URL not workie

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

It's his birthday, he probably died while posting

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

RIP Miso

9/11/17 never forget

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica posted:

Tan it is!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

ACCESSORY

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

This theme nudged me to order something I've been putting off for a while. It was delivered today! Thread tomorrow night after I can stage photos.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Awesome. I seriously thought no one was going through post anything this month.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I have a pile of stuff I was considering, one of which I will still do up. But I wanted to start with the new thing as an excuse to finally order it.

ChickenBuckets
Sep 18, 2017

spirited posted:

What are the best sniper rifle components? Assuming you were to assemble one from scratch?

Suppressor is going to be a start, Surefire makes cans both in 5.56 and 7.62, so pick your poison.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so
i dont have to keep
telling you retards
what happened

Lipstick Apathy

I hope this is fine for questions as well as content.

I'm at the point where what is essentially a $0.25 garbage bag with a $39.75 HK logo on it isn't cutting it anymore for a range bag. I have multiple pistols and now a rifle and shotgun, so I was looking into range bags.

Ideally something shoulderable (backpack or something with a strap), with lockable storage for either pistols or another compartment (I live in an idiot state).

I've seen a couple bags at LGS and ranges, and this GPS one stuck out. Aside from price, anyone have anything good or bad to say about it?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

This month's premise is simple...JUST. loving. POST...

Thy will be done.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

As you wish

uwaeve, watch out about storing ammo and firearms together in your range bag. You didn't say which lovely state you call home, but some frown on that. (...NJ)

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835191

Don't let anyone say I never contributed to these dead gay forums

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

One more:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835872

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Preview if anyone wants to get started on anything:

October is going to be awful guns month. Just the worst guns you own. Post a thread and explain why your gun is awful. There's going to be a lot of leeway for you defining that however you want, but do us all a favor and skip doing a thread on a Glock "because it works all the time and that's boring"

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Ooh, I have some contenders.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

What if the Glock is natively chambered in 40 S&W, rebarreled for 357 Sig, features a yellow frame, and has a grip-activated light?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Butch Cassidy posted:

What if the Glock is natively chambered in 40 S&W, rebarreled for 357 Sig, features a yellow frame, and has a grip-activated light?

But those are all awesome things

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

October is going to be awful guns month. Just the worst guns you own. Post a thread and explain why your gun is awful. There's going to be a lot of leeway for you defining that however you want, but do us all a favor and skip doing a thread on a Glock "because it works all the time and that's boring"

Sperglord Actual posted:

Ooh, I have some contenders.

Hope you're not talking about actual Contenders.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

If I had one of those, I sure wouldn't be posting it in an awful gun thread.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

It makes me wish I knew even the basics of welding and metalwork because I just learned about building your own Mac-10 or 11 from flats and that seems like it would instantly qualify.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Shima Honnou posted:

It makes me wish I knew even the basics of welding and metalwork because I just learned about building your own Mac-10 or 11 from flats and that seems like it would instantly qualify.

I've got to assume that there are tons of places to learn such things in Detroit. If not, pick up an older copy of Modern Welding Technology by Cary (because it's a textbook and old editions lose 90% of their value when the new ones come out), you can learn quite a bit from that book before ever even touching a welder.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bridging the gap:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835999

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

How to accessorize a 154 year old rifle on September 31st:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836167