Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Geostomp posted:

I remember so much stupid 90’s kid’s show trivia, but I’ve never even heard of this.

It was the only thing at 730 in the morning on Sundays for me. And it was before I could fire up the SNES because that would wake my parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/alfian1999__/status/1264513486349987841?s=21

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

V-Men posted:

It was the only thing at 730 in the morning on Sundays for me. And it was before I could fire up the SNES because that would wake my parents.

Wait, what? Why couldn't you just turn down the volume?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Next on the Ultraman Zett toy parade:

The Z Lance Arrow, 'born from a mysterious stone found in Northern Alaska.'

Can do 'Lance Cutter,' 'Arrow Shot,' and 'Z Lance Fire.'

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Next on the Ultraman Zett toy parade:

The Z Lance Arrow, 'born from a mysterious stone found in Northern Alaska.'

Can do 'Lance Cutter,' 'Arrow Shot,' and 'Z Lance Fire.'

We don’t have a start date for this series yet do we?

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
https://daisukitoku.com/2020/05/26/kamen-rider-zero-one-and-other-dramas-resume-filming-with-new-precautions/
New filming precautions. Action scenes are one-take if there's any close contact, it seems. In theory this could produce some interesting fights, but you'd need the absolute best of the best for those, and I doubt Sakamoto and Sugihara are gonna get that opportunity for both Sentai and Rider.

Larryb posted:

Mid-late June.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Larryb posted:

The trailer on YouTube keeps insisting that it's 6/20 at 9 AM on TV Tokyo.

Could be why we haven't got a second trailer as they're too busy ramping up for the first arc of episodes.

The villain looks like a slacker, we're gonna get another Aizen except it's a dude taken over by Cerebro (Disney/Marvel's gonna love that name) who sounds similar to Cereza..

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

The trailer on YouTube keeps insisting that it's 6/20 at 9 AM on TV Tokyo.

Could be why we haven't got a second trailer as they're too busy ramping up for the first arc of episodes.

The villain looks like a slacker, we're gonna get another Aizen except it's a dude taken over by Cerebro (Disney/Marvel's gonna love that name) who sounds similar to Cereza..

Well Aizen was arguably the best part of R/B so that doesn’t sound too bad. Hope this one actually sticks around the whole way through (depending on how entertaining he ends up being that is).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Binary Badger posted:

They'll be fine as long as "cerebro" continues to just be the word for "brain" in both Spanish and Italian.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Just stood next to a 5-year-old girl on an elevator who was watching (I assume) Beast Morphers and I had that moment of "Oh yeah, they make these for kids". Something I always acknowledge, but hadn't experienced in years.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

END ME SCOOB posted:

I knew it existed because (very good podcast) Canceled Too Soon found the series and covered it a while back.

Listening to the intro in which they briefly talk about MMPR, and as a mecha and tokusatsu fan it always bugs me when people use "Voltron" as a shorthand for giant robots combining, often implying that Voltron invented the concept. I know that's super nerdy of me, but they're being technically incorrect and that's a crime that can only be repaid in blood!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fred is on posted:

Listening to the intro in which they briefly talk about MMPR, and as a mecha and tokusatsu fan it always bugs me when people use "Voltron" as a shorthand for giant robots combining, often implying that Voltron invented the concept. I know that's super nerdy of me, but they're being technically incorrect and that's a crime that can only be repaid in blood!

Not to mention the fact that Golion/Voltron first aired in 1981 and I believe Sentai had already introduced the concept of combining robots by then (though I’m not sure if they’re the ones that originated the concept either).

Speaking of which, I believe the original Golion is still available subbed on Crunchyroll. It’s actually surprisingly decent for the most part.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I know it was Science Ninja Team Gachaman who made "Team of 5 (Hero, cool guy, smart but young one, fat guy with the Kansai accent, token girl)" meet "mechas that combine", but I don't think that's where either of them originated.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

I know it was Science Ninja Team Gachaman who made "Team of 5 (Hero, cool guy, smart but young one, fat guy with the Kansai accent, token girl)" meet "mechas that combine", but I don't think that's where either of them originated.

The first combining mecha as we understand it originates in Astroboy (Most modern Japanese media can be traced back to Godzilla, Astroboy, or mythology) in a MOTW that showed up.

After that was King Joe in UltraSeven, followed by Getter Robo and then Mazinger. King Joe is the first combining robot in live action, and is the first combining robot that was piloted.

Gachaman was a riff on Cyborg 009 from Ishinomori, as far as 'teams that do stuff', and has shades of the Science Patrol from Ultraman, as they were specifically a Science Team. They did help codify the idea of a team of five, which probably helped inspire GoRanger though it's unclear if there was much back and forth there. Though Jetman was, 100%, an homage to Gachaman.

The first evil robot duplicate in film, for the record, would be MechaniKong from King Kong Escapes.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Burkion posted:

The first evil robot duplicate in film, for the record, would be MechaniKong from King Kong Escapes.

And is still my favorite robot ape design.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

Not to mention the fact that Golion/Voltron first aired in 1981 and I believe Sentai had already introduced the concept of combining robots by then (though I’m not sure if they’re the ones that originated the concept either).

Speaking of which, I believe the original Golion is still available subbed on Crunchyroll. It’s actually surprisingly decent for the most part.

The original Golion is also surprisingly goddamn grim. Jesus Christ.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

LastGoodBoy posted:

Wait, what? Why couldn't you just turn down the volume?

I'm gonna say thin walls and my parents room was next to mine. Honestly though I'm not even sure why I didn't just play muted.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scratchman Apoo posted:

The original Golion is also surprisingly goddamn grim. Jesus Christ.

Yeah, people die regularly and there’s a lot of violence. Come to think of it, I don’t think I ever saw more than an episode of the English version. Just how badly was Voltron hacked up in the west?

On a similar note, are any of the American made follow ups any good?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Larryb posted:

On a similar note, are any of the American made follow ups any good?

I watched the first couple seasons of the new Netflix one, it's fine. Not bad, but nothing really noteworthy good about it either.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It also kinda fell apart in the last couple seasons out of some half-assed efforts to appeal to the fandom.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

V-Men posted:

I'm gonna say thin walls and my parents room was next to mine. Honestly though I'm not even sure why I didn't just play muted.

Chalk it up to kid logic.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Netflix Voltron was clearly made by people who only had it be a Voltron show because they were unable to sell their ideas without attaching it to a known IP, they didn't give a poo poo about Voltron itself

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Larryb posted:

Yeah, people die regularly and there’s a lot of violence. Come to think of it, I don’t think I ever saw more than an episode of the English version. Just how badly was Voltron hacked up in the west?

Among other things there's constant references and stock footage of this federation the good guys are made up to smokescreen the fact Earth got nuked in Golion, plus the standard "oops, can't kill anyone on a kid's show, they're all robots or just went off wounded".

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Larryb posted:

Well Aizen was arguably the best part of R/B so that doesn’t sound too bad. Hope this one actually sticks around the whole way through (depending on how entertaining he ends up being that is).

Yeah to this, can't really take another season with Treagar as the baddie.. I'm assuming he finally meets either his end or conversion in the Taiga movie.

Looks like not only Geed but R/B will guest star in Zett episodes..

deadly_pudding posted:

They'll be fine as long as "cerebro" continues to just be the word for "brain" in both Spanish and Italian.

Actually I just realized that Marvel is publishing an officially sanctioned Ultraman comic which seems to focus on OG Hayata Ultraman; I'd imagine as long as they don't bring him into the Marvel Universe it should be okay.

That comic has some sample prerelease art that shows Baltan and Gomora, so it looks like they have license to adapt elements from 1966 Ultraman.

The only thing that bothers me is that the guy writing some of the stories for Marvel said they would 'add to the story of Ultraman' which sounds a lot like what they said before they got the Star Trek license, which they did a horrible job with. Though that was partly due to the fact that Paramount told them they could only create stories based on the first movie, and were forbidden from using anything from the novels or original series.

Edit: They didn't screw up their Godzilla comic, but they were once again hamstrung by the fact that Toho said their contract gave them Godzilla, just Godzilla, and only the powers he displayed in the original movie. Nope, can't have Mothra, Ghidorah, Rodan, or anyone else unless you put up more money.

They actually did a good job integrating him into the Marvel Universe except towards the end when he fights the Fantastic Four and the Avengers (FF got a shrunken Godzilla, Avengers naturally got the full size one)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 27, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Voltron actually did have a surprisingly high bodycount past the censorship. Allura's parents were flat-out dead. Yurrick straight dies. Haggar's cat murders a man. There's uneditted blood and deaths at points. Yes, it's still hacked but it's hilarious finding all the non-censored stuff and seeing how they work around it.

Vehicle was way more censored yet laziness and poor screen qualities of the age meant they let some background nudity go through. It also had the only real acknowledged death of a character rather than something like Allura's parents being pre-dead. It's also insanely bland. Like half the series to finally name all the Voltron pilots bland.

Second season of Lion Voltron is a mess of editting and color issues but it also ended up being more consistent somehow. Galaxy Garrison actually became a real thing.

3rd Dimension is horrifying to look at but it has Tim Curry being 1001% Tim Curry thus it is good.

Voltron Force is just bad. It tried so drat hard to update Voltron but it just feels insanely soulless and hollow.

Legendary Defender has a strong start but then falls apart in increasingly weird ways and the fanbase imploded because of headcanon nonsense going against what was happening.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well to be fair, Vehicle Voltron was adapted from a completely unrelated anime called Dairugger (or something like that). I tried watching the Japanese version of that series but it was really boring and I dropped it after a handful of episodes, no idea if it gets better though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

good comic

https://twitter.com/kounosuke0808/status/1264816262594482177?s=20

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Trogglodyte posted:

https://daisukitoku.com/2020/05/26/kamen-rider-zero-one-and-other-dramas-resume-filming-with-new-precautions/
New filming precautions. Action scenes are one-take if there's any close contact, it seems. In theory this could produce some interesting fights, but you'd need the absolute best of the best for those, and I doubt Sakamoto and Sugihara are gonna get that opportunity for both Sentai and Rider.
Something tells me a lot of toku heroes are about to start using their guns and laser weapons far, far more often.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

McTimmy posted:

Voltron actually did have a surprisingly high bodycount past the censorship. Allura's parents were flat-out dead. Yurrick straight dies. Haggar's cat murders a man. There's uneditted blood and deaths at points. Yes, it's still hacked but it's hilarious finding all the non-censored stuff and seeing how they work around it.

I want to say there's an episode with a bunch of guerrilla combatants who all try to destroy Golion, but in the process they just go around slaughtering people indiscriminately. In Voltron, they just kinda sneak around before suicide bombing into Voltron and it doesn't accomplish anything, then the characters are like "Well that was weird, whatever. See ya next week kids!"

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
What the gently caress Kamen Rider Zero-Two is real. Seems to be some sort of fold-over attachment for the Zero-One Driver, and it's apparently "Zero-One reborn." Either a VERY simple final form, a movie form, or some kinda... sequel? Spin-off? I have no idea how to feel.

Trogglodyte fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 27, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I want to say there's an episode with a bunch of guerrilla combatants who all try to destroy Golion, but in the process they just go around slaughtering people indiscriminately. In Voltron, they just kinda sneak around before suicide bombing into Voltron and it doesn't accomplish anything, then the characters are like "Well that was weird, whatever. See ya next week kids!"

The Red Berets.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Trogglodyte posted:

What the gently caress Kamen Rider Zero-Two is real. Seems to be some sort of fold-over attachment for the Zero-One Driver, and it's apparently "Zero-One reborn." Either a VERY simple final form, a movie form, or some kinda... sequel? Spin-off? I have no idea how to feel.

gently caress yes come oooooon sequel season!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Trogglodyte posted:

Well both V3 and to a lesser extent Agito were sequel seasons to their respective predecessors so it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if the second Reiwa series followed suit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SpecialForm12/status/1265470002246762496

There's no way there'd be actual suit pics from next year's series yet, come the gently caress on. We don't even have the trademark yet. It's a form. Use your brain.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Larryb posted:

Well both V3 and to a lesser extent Agito were sequel seasons to their respective predecessors so it honestly wouldn’t surprise me if the second Reiwa series followed suit.

Yeah that's what I've been hoping for for months now. Not because Zero-One deserves a sequel [although at this point a second season might get us some stakes or something], but because if it doesn't get one in some form it'll feel weird.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
It's obviously a form, yeah, I'm just boggled by the context of the form. This is a hell of a simple form for a final form, I'm shocked Bandai would allow it to be anything but the gaudiest, tackiest form possible.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Use your brain.

Never.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Trogglodyte posted:

drat. That is such a loving sweet homage to Rider 2!! I wonder if it's there's going to be a final form attachment like Maximum Gamer to Muteki or this is the actual final form and it will be so dang cool!

Better shots of the new form:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 27, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/SpecialForm12/status/1265470002246762496

There's no way there'd be actual suit pics from next year's series yet, come the gently caress on. We don't even have the trademark yet. It's a form. Use your brain.

Eh, my point still stands though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

The DX Zero One Driver apparently has an extension port off the left side, so probably an attachment.