Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

It’s the best KR in recent memory. How far back depends on your opinions.

Well like I said, I really really liked OOO and this gives me a lot of the same vibes, but with more of the classic feeling of Showa rider so I'm pretty happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

It’s the best KR in recent memory. How far back depends on your opinions.

i thought ex-aid was much better than build.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So I've watched Build up through the introduction of Cross-Z and yeah watching how drat good this show is really makes Zero-1's shortcomings even more stark. Fukkin' a this show is really great.

Now you see why we were so harsh on its two successor series. It’s not perfect by any means, but the two after it don’t seem to try half as hard as the writers of that show did.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elfgames posted:

Dan Kuroto is individually better than any single character in Build, or even Ex-Aid, but by and large I enjoyed Build more. I thought Ex-Aid was pretty good show mostly carried by Dan Kuroto's chaotic and charismatic energy but Build was an ambitious, if flawed, show that swung for the same fences that Gaim did and managed to hit a homer. Not necessarily out of the park but just managing to land in the bleachers.

I think a lot of it was me liking Sento and Banjo as deuteragonists more than Emu as a lead. Also Be The One slaps.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Aw dang, Stalk!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Aw dang, Stalk!!!

it's very Harrison Wells

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xarbala posted:

Also Be The One slaps.
Not as much as Build Up. I’d link it now, but I don’t think our friend is to that part yet.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 30, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Garo Versus Road 8: I really wasn't expecting the serial killer to eat poo poo this episode. I guess there might be a bit more to go in the murderer model's plotline to unravel.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Elfgames posted:

I think Build was definitely better overall than Ex-Aid, but Ex-Aid is a solid and respectable second place. Build has drat near perfect pacing and well written characters. Ex-Aid has Neo Shin Dan Kuroto.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Speaking of Build, this is one of the best scenes, even though it's from a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrM5f3WviMY

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drat, I'm dumb. I said Build Up, and that's good, but the best song from Build, the one I thought I was talking about, is definitely Ready Go. Though I admit that may just be because the TankTank reveal is my favorite scene in Build.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

the TankTank reveal is my favorite scene in Build.

"Just kidding! I wasn't actually losing at all! I was really winning the whole time! lol!"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

LastGoodBoy posted:

Speaking of Build, this is one of the best scenes, even though it's from a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrM5f3WviMY

I will have to watch that later as I don't want to break my run.

I just wanted to drop in to say "Wolf Smartphone" is a fukkin hilarious combo. But yeah y'all weren't kidding when you said this show goes hard. Full on war with factions of Japan using Kamen Riders is WILD.

Edit holy lmao Kamen Rider Grease is a Miitan fan

Edit 2 UTSUMI?!?!!

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 31, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
WolfSmartphone is a reference to Faiz right

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I will have to watch that later as I don't want to break my run.

I just wanted to drop in to say "Wolf Smartphone" is a fukkin hilarious combo. But yeah y'all weren't kidding when you said this show goes hard. Full on war with factions of Japan using Kamen Riders is WILD.

Edit holy lmao Kamen Rider Grease is a Miitan fan

Edit 2 UTSUMI?!?!!

Oh you are going to love the next parts, from here up until like ep 35+ it's a nonstop thrill.
Post/detail your reactions as much as possible. :allears:.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

LastGoodBoy posted:

"Just kidding! I wasn't actually losing at all! I was really winning the whole time! lol!"

Sento is a sneaky bastard when he wants to be.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Junpei posted:

WolfSmartphone is a reference to Faiz right

It absolutely is. I may not like Faiz but Toei clearly loving does considering it gets a lot of references. Hell, Fuwa is nothing if not a walking Faiz reference (wolf Rider who has no dreams but will protect dreams!)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

RABBIT TANK BLACK HAZARD:supaburn:

edit: Holy poo poo this entire series is using all the showa-origin tropes as well as possible. Banjou is a goddamned amazing 'dumb musclehead rival/best friend' in the absolute perfect way. The war with Hokutou is amazing but I know that the war with Sentou is coming eventually as well. The twists are goddamned fantastic, with the father figure reveal as the main bad guy and everything. Just starting episode 21 and this series is revving full cylinder!

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 31, 2020

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Oh, boy. Episode 21 is one you will not forget.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Geostomp posted:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The fact that our hero is absolutely devastated that he actually killed an enemy is amazing. I have a feeling that the riders of all sides will come together because it's looking more and more like the enemy is what is separating Japan (the Sky Wall/Nationalism) and they must all come together.

loving hell what a show.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Meanwhile, in the world of Zero-One...

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Trogglodyte posted:

Kiss Asian doesn't even have the clip shows, which I have no problem with, and honestly I'm not in any rush for Zero-One to come back myself...

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Geostomp posted:

Build episode 21 is one of the best Kamen Rider episodes in history.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Trogglodyte posted:

There's a pandemic, OP.

Like, the current Sentai Red HAD the corona.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

gently caress me the BURNING SPIRITS of Build are SO GOOD

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Trogglodyte posted:

Out of all the Riders crossovers that never were, I wanted to see Build actually cross over with Zero One once. I want to see what a real scientist could do with half the tech Aruto slaps on.

Drive is a close second so we could see Sento argue theories with a talking belt.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

gently caress me the BURNING SPIRITS of Build are SO GOOD

It’s half of Banjo’s character.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

GENTOUKU IS BACK AS A KAMEN RIDER!!! :aaaaa:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Miitan is a loving alien?!?! :psyduck:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Man, you are absolutely burning through this season. I envy not being able to watch Build for the first time again.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Xarbala posted:

I think a lot of it was me liking Sento and Banjo as deuteragonists more than Emu as a lead. Also Be The One slaps.

I can't decide which I like more. The live performance of Be The One, or the English version of Be The One.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

For reference, Gatos, I'll link Ready Go after you finish Episode 28. Then you'll understand what I mean and why I love it.

LastGoodBoy posted:

"Oh thank God, finally, I was so tired of pretending to get my rear end kicked."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Quote is not edit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Be The One is a love Ballad about Banjou and Sento given its lyrics and how it ties into their relationship and also The movie form that fuses them together has a belt jingle that says "BE THE ONE" and is created after a big emotional moment together"

V Cinema's are basically CD Dramas and thus should only be treated canon if they're actually good and otherwise ignored so this all holds.

It's why it pops up so often when they do they big pep talks to each other to pull each other out of depression

Example: https://files.catbox.moe/qsjtlo.webm

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 31, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1267089447054716929?s=20

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
A Yahoo store listing shows the capsule/gashapon toys that are due to release in September after Zero-One (Which also shows Zero-One'll be ending before September 29th) prices for bulk-purchasing, and breaking down the prices to per-piece makes them similar to the prices of the Full Bottle GP toys. Since GP toys do include their own (inferior) electronics if the base toy does as well, this likely means there's no electronics in next show's collectibles - at least from the start.

Shame, I was getting spoiled by having electronic collectibles two years in a row.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Trogglodyte posted:

A Yahoo store listing shows the capsule/gashapon toys that are due to release in September after Zero-One (Which also shows Zero-One'll be ending before September 29th) prices for bulk-purchasing, and breaking down the prices to per-piece makes them similar to the prices of the Full Bottle GP toys. Since GP toys do include their own (inferior) electronics if the base toy does as well, this likely means there's no electronics in next show's collectibles - at least from the start.

Shame, I was getting spoiled by having electronic collectibles two years in a row.

Oh yeah, I guess fullbottles didn't have any, huh? I didn't think about that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That one gets brought up a couple times, including one point in 27 (which I just rewatched last night after talking about it). He says outright that those words made him the person he is now. :3:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

That one gets brought up a couple times, including one point in 27 (which I just rewatched last night after talking about it). He says outright that those words made him the person he is now. :3:

God after zi-O and Aruto I just miss Sento so bad. Smug Science Hero and his Himbo Boyfriend were the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still really like Gentoku's arc through the series, especially his relationship with Sento and how that relates to Katsuragi's legacy. It's not at all difficult to draw the conclusion that he was using Katsuragi as his moral compass. Seeing Sento, who is/isn't Katsuragi, condemning his choices, while also losing everything else, leaves him aimless (and realizing how far he's fallen and how much self-justifying he's been doing.) Yeah, the main reason he changed at the end was because his actor didn't want to be scary any more, but you can also see it as him becoming the person he used to be before he was broken by difficult moral choices. Once Sento is his moral compass again, he doesn't feel like he has to harden up, and can lean into the parts of himself that he lost touch with.