Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Didn’t Seven’s Sevenger not even appear in his own show, and lose his only fight?

What I’m saying is is that New Sevenger has won hearts on his own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Didn’t Seven’s Sevenger not even appear in his own show, and lose his only fight?

What I’m saying is is that New Sevenger has won hearts on his own

Ultraman Leo was the Ultraman Leo and UltraSeven show, honestly. Dan was Leo's mentor and the captain of the attack team and, trust me, Sevengar's doofy appearance held a lot of fans for a while.

EDIT: Also Z is modeled after a fusion of Ultraman and UltraSeven, and is the student of Ultraman Zero, Seven's son, and is regarded by Tsuburaya as the latest protege of Seven.

And Windam is also hanging out, excellent robo chicken that he is.

Seven's claws go deep

Burkion fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 4, 2020

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I see.

I dunno, I just think how he’s been used in Z is rather charming.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

I see.

I dunno, I just think how he’s been used in Z is rather charming.

It is, I'm mostly joking.

I'm a giant UltraSeven mark so seeing his stamp on the franchise is always going to make me smile.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That’s fair.

I’m seven episodes into Geed meanwhile and really enjoying it. I think I’m into this franchise for the long haul.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

That’s fair.

I’m seven episodes into Geed meanwhile and really enjoying it. I think I’m into this franchise for the long haul.

It's a rewarding one to be into.

There were some dark times not too long ago thanks to gently caress heads at Chaiyo but thankfully that's done and over. And it meant Ultraman could skip out on Ready Player One which was probably a blessing in disguise. This is a franchise that has a deep love of its characters and lore, even the less successful ones, and frequently brings actors back even in different roles.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And that’s eight episodes down.

I think this is the most I’ve enjoyed toku in years. And I love a lot of recent Toku stuff already.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

I haven't seen much of Gai since I dropped off Zero-One after just getting a taste, but from what I've seen I have doubts his actor can meme it up as capably as Iwanaga can. That poo poo worked because the writers room saw what the actor was doing and decided to rebuild the character. Good luck getting that lightning to strike again.

Exactly. Ex-Aid could reliably do whatever it wanted with Kuroto as a character because everyone and their grandma loved his hilarious antics and was addicted to the ridiculous over-the-top splendor of Iwanaga's acting... while no one gives a gently caress about Gai and is extremely sick of his existence in dragging down most of Zero-One. I get they still need to sell Thouser toys, but man, it's a shame he hasn't been dropped off a cliff since everyone detests him from Aruto to Fuwa to Jin to Yua. The fact that Horobi hasn't snuck into his mansion overnight and stabbed him in the back while he's sleeping alone is one of those situations that stretches believability and then some. Especially given that Gai is an irredeemable rear end in a top hat who has been behind literally every evil and destructive act in the series. :rolleyes:

Zero-One's murky, erratic storytelling doesn't help either since the competition arc especially changes Gai's personality, motivations, and actions every 6 seconds, so it's even harder to get into him as a character beyond him being a huge moron shitlord and really goddamn dull. While Kuroto had the same absurdly silly but also clear, consistent characterization from early on in Ex-Aid's life and the show just kept building on his laughable behavior until he was later resurrected and became a nominal ally, which I'm sure Gai's impending arbitrary turn will accomplish quite poorly.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 4, 2020

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
wholesale tearing a chunk out of Gesura is pretty grim :stare: poor guy just wanted some cacao beans

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/Gurihiru/status/1279342788862074880

I'm not super excited for the Ultraman monthly, but I love their art and have read worse books for it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Blaze Dragon posted:

I like Z though, but I'd be entirely fine if this series was about Sevenger.

oh yeah I wasn't insulting the show, I was praising every non-Ultraman aspect of the show. Take out Ultraman and it's a really good live action Patlabor

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hopefully it doesn't turn into another R/B situation where a secondary character becomes more popular than the stars of the show so the directors suddenly decide that that character should suddenly gently caress off to nowhere.

Robot Chicken needs lots of power to start up?

These robots have a lot of power problems.. I can totally believe they had an extension cord for Sevenger long enough for him to take Gomora all the way to Suflan Island.

Great to see Gigass from the OG Ultraman, and handled decisively.. when you think about it, Sevengar has already defeated two kaiju, and did an assist to defeat two others, of course the US should help pay for a winner, if nothing else than to invest in more Duracells..

I bet the only reason Riku / Geed shows up is to find out why his favorite observatory was trashed..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Craptacular! posted:

https://twitter.com/Gurihiru/status/1279342788862074880

I'm not super excited for the Ultraman monthly, but I love their art and have read worse books for it.

Nothing's worse than the crap comic that Archie Comics pinched out.

Still nervous about Marvel's upcoming take; it's being advertised as a 're-imagining' of OG Ultraman.

Obviously some things will get tweaked for the US/International audience, but hopefully Tsuburaya won't let Marvel run UM into the ground like Marvel has done with other properties.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Sevenger is impressive. Reminds me of the Japanese robot animations that I used to watch as a kid. And the pilot's an expert in karate?! Sounds pretty awesome, vice-minister!

e: They should put Ultraman Z in a Super Robot Wars game. This is true of every Ultraman show, but especially this one.

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 4, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Good Gai is exactly what I hoped would never come. The man has been an utter bastard the entire time (on top of dragging down the series itself) and caused every single problem in some manner. He should have gotten the Ark suit in a moment of hubristic irony and gone on as the Ark’s puppet from there on in. Zero One, you never fail to squander a good opportunity.

The series still doesn’t annoy me as much as Zi-O, but it’s getting up there.

He also actively endangered normal people.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I like Beast Morphers, but after seeing a good amount of Nate I just wanna tell the writers that they can have a character who's the 'smart guy' on the team without... you know... having to make them like... a dork who constantly says things like "Phenomenal" and "Affirmative".

Also, Roxy's actress is having fun being evil and I love it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Catching up on Kirameiger. Interesting that the "Yellow wants to be leader" thing wasn't actually resolved.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1279502741505630208?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

gently caress the fourth of July, this is the real holiday

https://twitter.com/TsuburayaGlobal/status/1279508850480013313?s=20

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/koutetu_/status/1279204132302155776?s=20

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If Z keeps up this momentum it may quickly become one of my favorite Ultra series’

So far this year we’ve had a good Sentai, a good Precure, and most recently a good Ultraman. Hopefully Saber will eventually give us a good Kamen Rider to go with it (though admittedly there are aspects of Zero One that I personally still enjoy).

Speaking of Ultraman, have they announced a start date for the second season of the Netflix Ultraman anime and/or that SSSS Gridman sequel yet?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 4, 2020

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Darth TNT posted:

He also actively endangered normal people.

Gai turning good is even dumber when you think about that. He's straight up murdered thousands upon thousands of people all over Japan and possibly the entire world. Imagine if Evolt suddenly turned into an ally after Pandora Tower. That's about how incredibly dumb Zero-One is turning into, which is an achievement considering how crappy the writing has been before now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So one thing that raises my eyebrow regarding Ultraman Z is the inclusion of the, apparently American, government and their interest in the project. More specifically, how they implicitly want to create a robot stronger than Ultraman.

So before I was joking about Seven and his influence on this series. But this is one of the things that resonates directly with an UltraSeven story in particular. So the 1967 original series is all about alien invaders, those who are supremely clever, brutish, evil, good, and all that lay in between. You have martyrs, people seeking revenge, all kinds of fun stuff. A few times it's made explicit that humanity is to blame for being so aggressive a species.

Fast forward to Heisei UltraSeven, a direct continuation of the original series. The 94 films are about alien invaders who are in the wrong but have good points, the 98 films are a mix. The 99 series, however, is straight up about humanity falling to darkness and how they are, in fact, just as responsible for being aggressive invaders as any other race. Here we see the beginning of fascism take root, the worst nature of humanity appear again and again and the origins of humanity as an invader species themselves revealed.

How the human race is implicitly guilty for the sins of their ancestors and must atone and seek forgiveness to become a truly enlightened, accepted species among the stars. So, you know, some heavy poo poo for a franchise that more often goes after the lighter side of things. Even Ultraman Nexus largely boiled it down to it being a Bad Guy who's behind everything- in Heisei UltraSeven, that is not true. The real danger is what lies within ourselves.

No episode is this not- truer than The Imitated Man. Now, I don't think Ultraman Z is going to do a turn about and suddenly feature some heavy goddamn introspective bullshit on we the human race and how you can make parallels to our troubled past and how we must atone for such and such and so on and so on. But the Imitated Man, which Tsuburaya 'recently' spotlit in one of the Ultra Fight series so you know its on their mind, features a very relevant story. Back in the original series the Pendan race tried to conquer the Earth with King Joe, their combining super robot that was just as powerful as UltraSeven himself- maybe even stronger.

So strong that Seven couldn't defeat him at the time, or at least wasn't able to until humanity stepped up with a weapon designed to wreck Joe's systems. Kaji teamed up with an atrociously lovely tech leader to resurface King Joe's remains and upgrade the robot, so that they would have a weapon 'even stronger than UltraSeven'

On the face of it this had pure intentions. Alien invasions didn't stop without Seven, and Seven couldn't be relied on to solve everything. So the government having such a super weapon under their control, well, wouldn't that be for the best? And the thing is- there was no hidden agenda. No one was planning to take over the world with King Joe. That wasn't the problem. The problem was the inherent fear and paranoia paired with trying to utilize King Joe. The totalitarian, fascist underpinnings that poisoned the project from within.

Kaji did not trust the machine he was using, he was terrified of it. Terrified there was some plot working against him. Because this was alien, this was unknowable, inhuman, he was paranoid that it would turn on them. This turns ugly when benign forces that bring what you desire most to the forefront met him, and did that. Made his paranoia real and unleashed King Joe as a threat to all of humanity. Corrupted by the very poison that gave the project life.

I don't think Ultraman Z will go that far with it- but escalation of power is a very real danger, and one Ultraman usually tackles well. And with the government explicitly seeking something stronger than Ultraman, I'm very curious to see if history repeats itself. An Earth made King Joe, falling into the wrong hands, would be an excellent threat to pit the wholesome and well intentioned Sevengar and Windam against.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

God I wish the Earth Invasion Club was the primary antagonist of Ultraman Orb instead of Juggler.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
The latest Zero-One episode has made the incoming Gai """"redemption"""" arc even more loving absurd. The B-plot involved digging up a list of Gai's hidden away crimes, and here's the list that gets put up
-Illegal auction bidding
-Sexual harassment (Which is put right in the middle of a massive splayed out set of different offenses)
-Moral harassment
-Tax evasion
-Using company expenses for private leisure such as beauty salon, hair-cut, and hotspring
-Faking reasons for absence
-Illicit sale
-Plagiarizing technologies
-Age spoofing
-Fake bank account
-Buying needless amount of expensive tea

So I have no idea what they intend for people to think with Gai.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Imagine if Evolt suddenly turned into an ally after Pandora Tower. That's about how incredibly dumb Zero-One is turning into, which is an achievement considering how crappy the writing has been before now.

I don't have to imagine, I'll just watch New World: Cross-Z.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
They should just have Yua hack the Thouser driver and take it for herself or something, that way they cam still advertise the toys while having it used by someone less awful

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

drrockso20 posted:

They should just have Yua hack the Thouser driver and take it for herself or something, that way they cam still advertise the toys while having it used by someone less awful

Only that would involve Yua doing something cool and we can't have that in a Predominantly Marketed Towards Young Boys TV Show now can we :colbert:

they totally should imo

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

They should just end Zero-One and go onto Saber.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
*Glances around*

So this is what the other universe looks like

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I feel bad for the actors. They didn't write this garbage fire season.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The last loving episode of Ultraman Orb, they finally figure out a way for him to transform that isn't standing still in a dark void.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LastGoodBoy posted:

I'd rather imagine any and all scenarios than watch that terrible special again.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It was a pretty loving spectacular henshin to be sure.

oh god we talk live action and special effects why are in this section now :(

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

LastGoodBoy posted:

I try to forget that godawful movie exists because Build is so much better without it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/hirochi_agito23/status/1279080829516300290?s=21

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Trogglodyte posted:

The latest Zero-One episode has made the incoming Gai """"redemption"""" arc even more loving absurd. The B-plot involved digging up a list of Gai's hidden away crimes, and here's the list that gets put up

-Sexual harassment (Which is put right in the middle of a massive splayed out set of different offenses)

This seems like a very odd thing to bring up, in passing, for a bad guy who has only really interacted with one woman he never expressed any sexual desire for. He wanted to get married that one episode but it was never brought up after that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Remember when Zero-One was good?

Those were the days.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Junpei posted:

Remember when Zero-One was good?

Me neither.